The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > The Comics

Old 07-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
T'Jai
eclectic threadkiller

Default Extremis

Had all the Issues except 4 ( a horrible one to be missing I know ) JUst finished reading...Loved it. The slight retconn ( so you don't know which war Tony was hit with shrapnel in) the almost street-level styling ( how he real worlded Stark and put some seasoning onto his life ) the art Adi killed it (funny how there was more than a passing resemblence to TC) just stand up work by the Ellis but then we can always expect that...

more of the same + on FaceBook
T'Jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Willowhugger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Extremis

I liked it myself.

I also loved the ending, great twist.

Willowhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
T'Jai
eclectic threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowhugger
I liked it myself.

I also loved the ending, great twist.
yeah there's always someone doing "wrong" to push us forward as a species ( the whole thing with tony being hacked now is f*@kin sweet too)

Old 08-19-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Willowhugger
Side-Kick

I think the best part of the story arc is the fact that Tony KNOWS he's going too far but is addicted to the Extremis' benefits. He's also got a god complex about the process too.

I must admit, I'm nervous about Maya's role in the storyline because she killed 50 people by her actions yet is almost being set up to be Tony's love interest.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
Nightwing 52
Things change

I liked it. The premise of the story is pretty straightforward: there's villain running around having been enhanced by a technological virus, and Iron Man has to take him down. The villain is fairly uninpsired, but he's not really the draw. Ellis uses the arc instead to reintroduce (or to those that haven't bought Iron Man in, 25 years or so) Tony Stark.

Ellis' Tony is a flawed but likeable and heroic figure. The alcoholism is mentioned, briefly, but Ellis expands on it as part of a larger picture. IRL alcoholism rarely occurs in a vacuum; it's usually a symptom of an addictive personality. Ellis' Tony has a very addictive personality, whether the thrill is alcohol or improving the Iron Man armor. Ultimately he's someone who has done some things he regrets over the years, and is trying now to atone for those mistakes and give his life some meaning.

I really enjoyed the painted/ CGI art from Granov. It's not stiff like a lot of painted work; the story flows very well.

Overall I'd recommend the arc to anyone who has yet to read it. It's a good, smart superhero story with a lot of deph.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
T'Jai
eclectic threadkiller

I think it's about to come out in trade (or it just came out)

Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Sentinel X
optical illusion

Ive read some, I have the first issue but I never finished it...Someone please tell me what happens?

...I really liked the extrimis, I really wouldnt mind seeing him in an iron man movie

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Sentinel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Willowhugger
Side-Kick

Tony has to 'cyber-up' with the same process to beat Extremis and ends up finding that the woman whom invented the process gave it to the terrorist so Iron Man could beat him up and thus show it off.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:11 AM   #9
T'Jai
eclectic threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowhugger
Tony has to 'cyber-up' with the same process to beat Extremis and ends up finding that the woman whom invented the process gave it to the terrorist so Iron Man could beat him up and thus show it off.
I thought her aim was more to get a "human clinical trail" so the government would see that it was useful... great Super Soldier Serum reference

Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
Genixx
Side-Kick

i just bought all 6 issues last nite and read them. im not so sure i like the direction tony is going.. and why are people so insane at remaking the SS serum? correction..i understand why but, isnt marvel just beating a dead horse with its connection. with the extremis issues i also picked up the Ultimate Nitemare issue. there again..referencing the SS and Cap. anyway, like i stated im not sure i like this direction. how long till we see tony downloading his conciousness into an android body..or into the IM suit itself. what happened to the old days when he just built a better suit or out smarted the bad guy?

Genixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #11
T'Jai
eclectic threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genixx
i just bought all 6 issues last nite and read them. im not so sure i like the direction tony is going.. and why are people so insane at remaking the SS serum? correction..i understand why but, isnt marvel just beating a dead horse with its connection. with the extremis issues i also picked up the Ultimate Nitemare issue. there again..referencing the SS and Cap. anyway, like i stated im not sure i like this direction. how long till we see tony downloading his conciousness into an android body..or into the IM suit itself. what happened to the old days when he just built a better suit or out smarted the bad guy?
Idunno why would people spend lifetimes trying to re-create a serum that could transform a less than average person into thee quintessential physical specimen well if you think about it if mass available the ss serum could fundamentally change not only warfare, but humanities outlook in general. how much time could be spent on newer discoveries if we didn't have disease or infirmity to contend with.

Technology got ahead of that and the title does well to reflect it, dunno if you follow technological happenstance but they now have micro chips that enable you to control robotic limbs and open and close automic doorsturn on appliances and other such things, closer to the spandex situation they have spray on bullet-proofing for regular fabric these days... I'm not comfortable with a lot of the "advancements" and "progress" that are being tested and may become available, but I think marvel does well to have its foremost technological hero be ahead of the curve.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Genixx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Jai
Idunno why would people spend lifetimes trying to re-create a serum that could transform a less than average person into thee quintessential physical specimen well if you think about it if mass available the ss serum could fundamentally change not only warfare, but humanities outlook in general. how much time could be spent on newer discoveries if we didn't have disease or infirmity to contend with.
oh i understand the reason..i just think marvel's beating a dead horse sometimes. but, dont most companies

Quote:
Technology got ahead of that and the title does well to reflect it, dunno if you follow technological happenstance but they now have micro chips that enable you to control robotic limbs and open and close automic doorsturn on appliances and other such things, closer to the spandex situation they have spray on bullet-proofing for regular fabric these days... I'm not comfortable with a lot of the "advancements" and "progress" that are being tested and may become available, but I think marvel does well to have its foremost technological hero be ahead of the curve.
oh i agree that a tech-hero needs to be ahead of curve. no aruement there. i just like it better when tony just built a new suit...not a new body.

no with this new 'body' he has, it just presents another weakness. which i think will relate to the whole Civil War issue and why hes been so gun-ho.

Last edited by Genixx; 08-22-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Genixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
T'Jai
eclectic threadkiller

Quote:
oh i understand the reason..i just think marvel's beating a dead horse sometimes. but, dont most companies
too true, it's kinda hard though cause if they change too much we whine and complain and if they don't change enough we whine and complain... what are we or they to do

Quote:
oh i agree that a tech-hero needs to be ahead of curve. no aruement there. i just like it better when tony just built a new suit...not a new body.

no with this new 'body' he has, it just presents another weakness. which i think will relate to the whole Civil War issue and why hes been so gun-ho.
wit dat, well they're covering it in execute program where Tony's
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
gettin hacked and forced to assasinate opposing heads of state and other "undesireables"
good stuff fron the Knauf

Old 09-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
MaskedManJRK
Side-Kick

Got the big hardcover for it--b***hin' cool stuff.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 AM   #15
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

Quote:

think about itif the super soldier serum could turn a puny polio victim like steve rogers ino a more than olympic level athlete it could increase the ablities of a healthy man even more so and the abilities of an athlete double that:star:

Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #16
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genixx View Post
the already have had tony download his conciousness into the armor by a process he called ,excuse my spelling here please:,neurominetec telepresence "it was during the period where he was paralysed by a bullet wound in the spine