The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Should they change the costume for the sequel?
Yes 136 55.06%
No 111 44.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #151
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should they change the costume for the sequel?

well, when it comes to the Superman colors, the Donner scheme just wouldn't work as well as it used to do in the past... I'm sorry to say, but this palette no longer cuts it in a film...

you need something more subtle, more muted, so that every time you look at him, you don't have to squint, yet also every time you look at him, he still stands out in that dark world and looks like a beacon of light ready to lead the people of Metropolis back to happier lives... something muted but yet still overly bright:

Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #152
Captain Kirk
The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot069 View Post
well, when it comes to the Superman colors, the Donner scheme just wouldn't work as well as it used to do in the past... I'm sorry to say, but this palette no longer cuts it in a film...

you need something more subtle, more muted, so that every time you look at him, you don't have to squint, yet also every time you look at him, he still stands out in that dark world and looks like a beacon of light ready to lead the people of Metropolis back to happier lives... something muted but yet still overly bright:
Kak, that second one kicks ass! Great work!

A Faithful supporter of Brandon Routh's return as the Man of Steel
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #153
Super Kal
Side-Kick

thank you.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #154
Custom Costumes

If anyone is looking for a bad a*s "Superman" costume, check me out!! www.CustomCostumes.info or visit my Ebay Store - Ricky's Custom Costumes

Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #155
Custom Costumes

"Movie Quality Costumes"
www.CustomCostumes.info
Ebay Store: Ricky's Custom Costumes

Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #156
ant3ros
SUPERFAN

This is how I would change the suit. The neckline is a little wider and lower, the colors are a bit brighter with a little different blue hue. I think the S belt buckle is too distracting, so a simple solid yellow design would be better. My main problem was his boots. I really didn't dig the designer sport boots look. It should be subtly textured and not complicated. And, the soles shouldn't be so wide because it'll look like goofy duck feet. Get rid of the sporty look for the boots! His suit should be elegant, powerful, and simple.

ant3ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #157
Super Kal
Side-Kick

thought I might share this slight manip of a manip...

Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #158
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Costumes View Post
"Movie Quality Costumes"

www.CustomCostumes.info
Ebay Store: Ricky's Custom Costumes
Now there is advertisments on The Hype?

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #159
Super Kal
Side-Kick

i think it's just a spam bot or something...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #160
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Damn Bots.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #161
The Techno Bat
Side-Kick

The only thing I would really do with the costume is make the S a bit bigger, other than that I don't mind the darker red

The Techno Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #162
Deadpool876
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by envybianchi View Post
I apologize for my ignorance but where's the difference? He still looks the same...... Regardless of his "costume", it's his actions that define him not his outfit. If you really need to change the costume, then remove the red speedos cause it's the freaking 21st century not the cross dressers venue. I mean no disrepect to Superman cause he actually is one of favorite Superheroes but if most of you are gonna nitpick about color here & there..... why not address the real main problem? Sit down & think about it before you attack me or give me any bull**** cause it's true. Don't give me an excuse that it has to be the same since the 1930s.

Damn, you are so right! That "red underwear" on the outside really sucks! This maybe my no. 1 complaint towards superheroes -- its their f*#^&* costumes! The costumes suck in live-action superhero-movies(except Spiderman, X-men & a few others). When I see them, I always think, "hey, where's the halloween party?"

Supes' suit should really be changed for the better. I won't mind a radical change. They did it in the X-Men movies; I remember there were a lot of howls and protests regarding the X-men's suits' change BUT the movie was a success. Marvel also did it in the Ultimate line comics and again it was a success. So why not with Supes? Ohh, because Supes is too iconic of a character? Again, it's the 21st century! This kind of change will be good for this iconic character. It will spark renewed interest in the character. So I suggest getting rid of that silly red underwear! The suit in SR is great-looking without the red undies.

A casual audience will be very interested in this kind of change and then ticket sales will get a boost so that means more Superman movies for us, don't you think? [Uh-oh, my spider-sense tells me I'm gonna get blasted for this.]

Deadpool876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #163
Super Kal
Side-Kick

sorry, but I disagree... the trunks on Superman are just as iconic as everything else that Superman has... from the spit curl, to the symbol on his chest. And the reason for such brighter colors is so that when people see him, they know he's a good guy because of what he wears, and when he IS being beat down and doesn't have the chance to show by his actions, the suit echoes what he stands for through how bright it is. It's why you don't see Batman wearing bright colors.... he's a darker hero, and his character deserves dark colors.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #164
Deadpool876
Side-Kick

Quote:
sorry, but I disagree... the trunks on Superman are just as iconic as everything else that Superman has... from the spit curl, to the symbol on his chest. And the reason for such brighter colors is so that when people see him, they know he's a good guy because of what he wears, and when he IS being beat down and doesn't have the chance to show by his actions, the suit echoes what he stands for through how bright it is. It's why you don't see Batman wearing bright colors.... he's a darker hero, and his character deserves dark colors.

I get that but it doesn't have to be dark you know. I just mentioned the X-men as an example; it didn't mean I want Supes' suit to be dark as well. It can still be bright-colored without the trunks you know. Just a modern-looking cool to look at suit. Look at Spidey's suit -- not trunks there and yet bright-colored but still cool.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #165
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Spiderman never had trunks to begin with... If you want to compare, you should try Batman.

Nevertheless, the trunks play an important part just as much as the rest of the suit does.

that doesn't mean I'm closed minded to new ideas though...

Old 03-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #166
cranston52

If this point was already covered then I apologize up front. My main problem with Routh's suit were the "S" molds on the boot heels and front shield. IMO they looked too commercially branding; like they were created on an assembly line and meant to be sold in a department or costume store. (remember the old Cooper Costume Batman masks with the bat insignia on the mask's forehead?) As far as the belt buckle is concerned, remove the "S" and replace it with the traditional oval. An all yellow shield on the cape would be nice but not having one shouldn't be a deal breaker. The 3-d shield was kind of cool so I say leave as is. The neckline should be slightly lower and wider. The texture of the blue bodysuit is perfect as it IS an alien fabric. The colors were no big deal so I say again, leave as is.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #167
Deadpool876
Side-Kick

Quote:
Spiderman never had trunks to begin with...

I know that. I'm just saying it looks cool even with bright colors. And Supes' would look cool too without the trunks. I know it would come soon. It could be in the sequel, I wish...

How does the trunks play an important part? I know it's iconic but something's gotta give. Supes' appearance can't be like that for long if DC wants him to remain popular. Like I said, the change did it for the X-Men[speaking of which, Brian Singer was the director] not just in the movies but in the comics which were successful.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #168
Super Kal
Side-Kick

I disagree... His overall appearance has stayed the same for almost 70 years. Why change perfection?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #169
cranston52

Just because his "look" has remain virtually unchanged for 70 years doesn't mean it cannot be up for interpretation. It's the same as an orchestra playing an established piece of music using their own, specific arrangement. Also, pls keep in mind that each actor who portrayed Superman was outfitted by the materials at hand at that particular time frame. The 50's had Kirk Alyn and George Reeves in cotton/wool blends. The 70's had Chris Reeve and Dean Cain in spandex. Milliskin is just Singer's modern interpretation for an alien fabric.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #170
Super Kal
Side-Kick

but the overall look stayed the same... just some redundant and moronic choices done by Singer...

Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #171
cranston52

kakarot069, you're certainly entitled to your opinion but this is the way I see it.
Suppose Singer, or whoever was directing, chose to put the same type of Superman uniform worn by Kirk Alyn in the 50's serial on Routh or whoever the next actor portraying S-man was. It would look pretty silly wouldn't it. Very out of place, almost anachronistic. I'm a purist but see nothing wrong with keeping up with the times. IMO, in this scenario, Singer's updates, with my afore mentioned tweaks, works.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #172
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Of course it wouldn't look good. The materials that were used in that day don't make a film worthy suit for today, but my point still remains the same... The materials may be different from decade to decade, but the overall suit design still remains the same to this day: cape, blue suit, red trunks, \S/ symbol, yellow belt, and red boots.

Last edited by Super Kal; 03-16-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Super Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 AM   #173
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
I disagree... His overall appearance has stayed the same for almost 70 years. Why change perfection?
Exactly!

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #174
SUPERSEBAS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranston52 View Post
Just because his "look" has remain virtually unchanged for 70 years doesn't mean it cannot be up for interpretation. It's the same as an orchestra playing an established piece of music using their own, specific arrangement. Also, pls keep in mind that each actor who portrayed Superman was outfitted by the materials at hand at that particular time frame. The 50's had Kirk Alyn and George Reeves in cotton/wool blends. The 70's had Chris Reeve and Dean Cain in spandex. Milliskin is just Singer's modern interpretation for an alien fabric.
The problem is not the milliskin, the problem is the change of design, the unnecessary texture added and taked from the Spiderman suit , the bad proportions of the suit over the Routh`s body that make him look no so good, and the involution of the hairlook, that was much better done on the 70 over Chris Reeve! there is a lot of consept over the Superman look that Singer should study carefully. Wen I see the making of Superman Returns, I see than they made a lot of test like if noboy made those studys before.

There is a lot of concepts very well done over the Superman look in the donner movies, but they were not study by Singer. I think the rigth thing should be to do tests over Routh on those consepts and made an evolution and perfection improvements and some changes, and not made all like if they have to start from cero.

Last edited by SUPERSEBAS; 04-04-2007 at 09:02 AM.
SUPERSEBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #175
Mattchew
Side-Kick

they're gonna change it slightly no matter wahat, but I think it should stay the same for the most part.

I loved it, and i think once people quit moaning about it and accept it, they might learn to like it too... just my opinion though... i realize I'm WAY WAY in the minority here.

Mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote