The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Out with the old in with the new?
We need Halle and Hugh 35 34.31%
Keep Hugh 19 18.63%
Keep Halle 11 10.78%
Drop them both Give me Gabmit 17 16.67%
Let the younger cast take over 20 19.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #76
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

Default Re: Do we really need Halle and Hugh

Keep Hugh, but have him appear in scenes here and there but bring back James and Famke for f*** sakes. I don't care. Just bring them back and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to do another x-film despite all the bulls*** that happened behind production and the s*** that did happen in TLS.

DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #77
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

I more expect Scott to come back than Jean, sadly. Besides the whole notion of "did Scott really die? They never actually showed him or said so" and so on, Jean already died in X2 and came back for X3, only to die again. It would be kindof off to see her come back AGAIN for X4, even tho I'm sure it would be great to have her in the movie again. Flashbacks? I dunno. Then there's the idea again of the Phoenix being able to come back again and again...

"This is Tom Tucker......'s evil twin, Todd Tucker, out to ruin his brother's reputation. Ha ha ha!"
Mdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #78
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

^^^ well that's sort of the whole point behind calling it "phoenix". It's not supposed to run into a dead end.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #79
batboy99
BTVS

I Say Keep Em But Bring Gambit Too

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #80
conan69
Cimmerian

Wait 10 years, do a reboot with the original team.

If they cast young, in their teens, like they should be, then youll have a cast who can stick around for 15 years worth of sequels.

I always said it was a mistake to cast Famke, she is too old.

Last edited by conan69; 08-25-2006 at 08:01 PM.
conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #81
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

I like the reboot idea but instead of just the original five, add in the second team too.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #82
conan69
Cimmerian

I should also add I have no interest in any proprety that isnt done with care (recently X2,Spiderman, Batman Begins, Superman Returns).

If theyre just gonna toss out X3's, then forget it, Id prefer if they did nothing.

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #83
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

How old was JEan supposed to be anyways? I thought she was supposed to be more mature. (Famke was a good choice then?)

"This is Tom Tucker......'s evil twin, Todd Tucker, out to ruin his brother's reputation. Ha ha ha!"
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #84
chaseter
Bland User

I think the movies can continue without Halle and Hugh. They are both great and transformed the comic characters into their lovable counterparts we know today. It is a big loss but if they need to be cut due to salary demands in order to make X4...I say drop them. We will have to certainly live without Halle, Hugh, Ian, Patrick maybe, Famke, etc...due to their wanting more and more money with each installment.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #85
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Well I think money aside, to make a good story we need some point of reference, and having somewhere to move on from. Having Halle and Hugh there is good to keep the story movign from where we left off, starting X4 without them and just a mention ("Storm and Logan ran off and eloped leaving the mansion in the care of Bobby and Rogue") is kind of a leap. What about having Beast up there too, taking care of things?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #86
Decay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99
I Say Keep Em But Bring Gambit Too
What does Gambit have to do with Hugh and Halle? That puzzles me.

I feel the anger changing me!
Decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #87
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Lol everyone wants Gambit in it. I wouldn't mind it, or even a mention but keep him subdued.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #88
Ororocity
Side-Kick

Chaseter and MDizzle you are so right.
You can't start X4 without Hugh Halle or the older ones it just stupid because of the way they left X3

Ororocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #89
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Yeah the end of X3 was messed up as it was. Any more inconsistencies would make X4 even less credible.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #90
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdizzle
How old was JEan supposed to be anyways? I thought she was supposed to be more mature. (Famke was a good choice then?)
Mid 30's. Her char's background and experience supports that. She's supposed to have an MD/PhD from Columbia University. So I went to the med school's website and crunched some number.

Let's say she starts college at 18. (typical age). typical 3 years in order to prepare for med school, so at the start of med school she's 20-21. Med school is 4 years, so that's 24-25 by the time she completes that. But she's doing research, which at Columbia takes 1-3 years to earn a PhD on top of that (her geneticist background supports that she does research in addition to being just another physician). Let's assume 2 for the sake of argument, so by the time she finishes she's 21-23. Then it's a year of rotations, so she's 25-26 by the time she finishes that. Then it's another 4 years of residency, so by the time she's done with that it's 29-30. Now comes the tricky part. How much experience does she have? How long do you have to work in a field to be considered an expert? By the time she's speaking to the Senate Committy run by Senator Kelly, she's already well established and acknowledged as an expert in her field. So she would have to be in her early to mid 30's. Considering that Jean' supposed to be 7 years older than Scott and by the start of X2 Scott is 28-29, 35 sounds like a reasonable age, and Famke's appearance and own actual age supports that. She was just the right age and look of maturity to play a character with that type of background. In fact, the age difference between Famke and James are perfect to play the couple. If she looks like she may be just a little too mature for his boyish charm, ie almost "too much woman for the kid", then that's exactly the intended effect

Which when you think about it, you realize the producers messed up with the flashback scene in X3. By the time of the events of X3, almost a year has passed since X1, so Jean would be around 36. "20 years ago", Jean should be 36-20 = 16 years old. But how old is the "little Jean" that Xavier and Erik find? not more than 10-11. They're off by 5 years! That or the flashback scene should have been called "25 years ago".

Poor Jean...

Last edited by ntcrawler; 08-28-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #91
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah the end of X3 was messed up as it was. Any more inconsistencies would make X4 even less credible.
Any more inconsistencies with X3 would actually make it more consistent with X1 and X2

Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #92
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
I more expect Scott to come back than Jean, sadly. Besides the whole notion of "did Scott really die? They never actually showed him or said so" and so on, Jean already died in X2 and came back for X3, only to die again. It would be kindof off to see her come back AGAIN for X4, even tho I'm sure it would be great to have her in the movie again. Flashbacks? I dunno. Then there's the idea again of the Phoenix being able to come back again and again...
There's technically nothing wrong with bringing Jean back. The whole notion of "phoenix" is supposed to be that death and life are an endless cycle. The trick to do it right though, is to show that rebirth is not a notion to be taken lightly, or a trivial process. In other words, you don't want scenes where Jean's willing to sacrifice herself or throw herself to smother a grenade to save the team simply because "oh don't worry, I'll be back in 5 minutes". She should be shown to respect her life and her body, and that if she should die, there is always the danger that she may not be able to return. That's how some other authors I read portray it. That yes, she can come back, but like chemotherapy, it's a painful, draining, confusing process she's much rathor avoid, unless there truly is no other way.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #93
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
Considering that Jean' supposed to be 7 years older than Scott and by the start of X2 Scott is 28-29, 35 sounds like a reasonable age, and Famke's appearance and own actual age supports that. She was just the right age and look of maturity to play a character with that type of background. In fact, the age difference between Famke and James are perfect to play the couple. If she looks like she may be just a little too mature for his boyish charm, ie almost "too much woman for the kid", then that's exactly the intended effect

Which when you think about it, you realize the producers messed up with the flashback scene in X3. By the time of the events of X3, almost a year has passed since X1, so Jean would be around 36. "20 years ago", Jean should be 36-20 = 16 years old. But how old is the "little Jean" that Xavier and Erik find? not more than 10-11. They're off by 5 years! That or the flashback scene should have been called "25 years ago".

Poor Jean...
Lol. What an effect that would have had, say they got it right and cast a 16-year-old Jean instead. Woulda been interesting to see where Jean was at in movieverse at 16, what her attitude would have been like, and how developed her powers were at that time. Plus, I guess Xavier wouldn't relaly be recruiting her at that age...but I'm sure they could have figured out some way to involve a 16-year-old Jean in a flashback scene at the mansion or something either way.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #94
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Quote:
Any more inconsistencies with X3 would actually make it more consistent with X1 and X2
Heheh, sounds funny but is prolly true! X3 might have been a shocker, but not necessarily in a good way lol. From Singer's gradual development to Ratner's pulling out all the stops...um...yeah. I liked Singer's approach better, but I'm sure by this point you already know that

Old 08-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #95
Mdizzle
Je suis ici.

Quote:
There's technically nothing wrong with bringing Jean back. The whole notion of "phoenix" is supposed to be that death and life are an endless cycle. The trick to do it right though, is to show that rebirth is not a notion to be taken lightly, or a trivial process. In other words, you don't want scenes where Jean's willing to sacrifice herself or throw herself to smother a grenade to save the team simply because "oh don't worry, I'll be back in 5 minutes". She should be shown to respect her life and her body, and that if she should die, there is always the danger that she may not be able to return. That's how some other authors I read portray it. That yes, she can come back, but like chemotherapy, it's a painful, draining, confusing process she's much rathor avoid, unless there truly is no other way.
Yeah I totally understand, but I just think for the movie effect it would be like dumbing it down to have her die, come back, die, come back, for a series of a few movies. Like you said, shouldn't be taken lightly, nor trivialized, which I completely agree with. I just think that, even tho there is the idea of the Phoenix always being able to come back, movie fans might tire of that...there won't be as much shock, omg Jean might die! Oh yeah, she can come back, she did that 3 times already. Lol. I dunno, there's prolly ways of making things more sensitive and well done, but if X3 was the last one, I think it would be appropriate to have had her die, and leave it at that. The initial shock of death wouldn't be there anymore otherwise.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #96
Drago
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wouldn't venture to bring Jean back- only if Scot gets brought back first and they mess with his head by having him involved with someone else and then seeing Jean return.

Why wouldn't I bring Jean back? According to the movies only the name of her unconscious is Pheonix- she can't actually ressurrect herself like a pheonix (man... how missed of an opportunity was it to not have Magneto comment on Jean ressurecting, like the pheonix from the flame.. would have been 100X better than Xavier going "oh yea, and she calls herself pheonix when she flips out"). But yea, I'm off track now.. I wouldn't bring her back... she was using her telekinesis to protect her from the water in X2... and in X3 it's hard to protect yourself from the claws that are piercing through your body. She's gone for a few films atleast.

Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #97
taintedFB
Side-Kick

I think the franchise could survive without them. THough I think the way X3 ended, you'd need Halle to at least make a cameo since she is running the school.

The important thing is to bring back Cyclops. And maybe Jean, if done right. With Cyclops leading, and Iceman, Kitty, Rogue, ArchAngel, and Gambit, the movie would still work. I think though, that we would need another woman (Jean or Emma)...

taintedFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #98
Drago
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedFB
I think the franchise could survive without them. THough I think the way X3 ended, you'd need Halle to at least make a cameo since she is running the school.

The important thing is to bring back Cyclops. And maybe Jean, if done right. With Cyclops leading, and Iceman, Kitty, Rogue, ArchAngel, and Gambit, the movie would still work. I think though, that we would need another woman (Jean or Emma)...
For X4, I think we have a solid team of Storm and Beast leading Bobby, Colossus, and Kitty. I'd love to see Gambit brought into things, as well as start to bring Angel into the fold of things and Rogue as well- there's more than enough ways to realistically keep her an outcast and at the same time bring back her powers.

Logan isn't a necessity at all, and I would love to see them build up a return for Cyclops in X5- a good opportunity to (like you said) create some inner torment for him with Emma and Jean.

Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #99
WideAwake
Side-Kick

Agreed, bringing in back Jean would cheapen X3 (even more ). I also don't think bringing back Scott would work, since it sent Jean over the edge twice in the movie, and retconning his death would take the punch out of those moments, and out of X3 as a whole.

So I'd say, keep Hugh and Halle in small roles. Halle said she'd be interested to do some more movies, so she could lead the younger X Men, who won't be that young anymore once they start making a new movie.
Make it a whole new trilogy, explore some existing characters, such as Kitty and Colossus, add new ones, such as Gambit and Jubilee, and to balance stuff out a bit, add a new adult: maybe Cecelia Reyes as the mansion's new doctor? She could be a love interest for Beast, which could take his character in new directions too.
I don't think Hugh would be coming back for anything bigger than a cameo, but you can always drop the hint that he's on away missions.

WideAwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #100
Mother_Askani
Side-Kick

I say recast them. Both of them are totally wrong for the roles.

With Hugh in Wolvie, I doubt they can recast him, but Storm absolutely needs to be recast. Halle is not and will never be Storm.

Mother_Askani is offline   Reply With Quote