The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #101
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthyStevens4
She needed to do more, right, but not be the freakin' headmaster of the school when it was supposed to go to Scott. And it was lead up for him to become the headmaster.
And this is a problem why?! She has done nothing else in the movie but take crap from Logan! I really do see where your coming from. If Scott was alive, he should be the headmaster. But he was dead, (which was so damn stupid, but it made for a god movie ) that is why she was given headmaster. I can honestly say that Storm should not be getting bashed on having more screentime, that is just rediculous. Her role was better a TINY BIT, but I know that it could have been better. I mean come on, when she was taling to Rogue about the cure and finished off by saying "or any of us for that matter" they actually edited out her saying "Understand?" WTF?! That is so freakin hilarious! Now I don't know the directing buisness, but they better have a good reason for that or else I will laugh my ass off.

__________________

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #102
Obsidian
The Dork Knight
 
Obsidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 12,795
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessreicho
The only reason why X2 is rembered is because comic book fans won't let it go. The biggest critical films of '03 were Finding Nemo, Bend it, and Pirates. X2 was lost in the dust of thier greatness.

Please don't use RT to support your argument. That the same as saying there are alot of open minds on AICN.
It seems to have been a hit with the general audience as well, given it's nearly $400 million worldwide gross, so it's not just because the comic book fans won't let it go. It was both a critically and financially successful film and was one of the reasons for the huge success of the third film's opening weekend. The biggest critical films of 03 were not Finding Nemo, Bend it, or Pirates. They may have done financially well, but they weren't the top of 03.

RT is a credible site that collects millions of reviews from respected reviewers across the nation, as well as the world, so I can use RT to support my argument.

__________________
C2: Cyclops Fans - United (2006)
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #103
TrailerCues
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,536
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javon
hugh snatched that up.
In Hughs defense he did nothing FOX wanted nothing but Hugh. I do not hate Wolverine or Hugh (hes one of my favorite actors) but I do hate FOX because to them it is all about Wolverine.

TrailerCues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #104
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCues
In Hughs defense he did nothing FOX wanted nothing but Hugh. I do not hate Wolverine or Hugh (hes one of my favorite actors) but I do hate FOX because to them it is all about Wolverine.
Well yeah, sorry. I have the habit of saying Hugh, so whenever I do (hey that ryhmed) please correct me. Butyeah, boo FOX!

__________________

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #105
WorthyStevens
Green Man
 
WorthyStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gobias Industries
Posts: 14,365
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javon
OMG! Why does everyone keep saying that?! Halle wasn't front of anything. Yes she took the sschool in...so what?! Hugh was front and center period. (Not towards your post now) I formone AM NOT Jealous that Halle didn't get enough screentime. I expected more from her and Cyclops for one part. Again, hugh snatched that up.
Take a look at any poster and you'll see that they are the only marquee names on there. This is an ensemble cast, but those 2 are the only ones being pushed.

Hell, even the TRL special this year is another example. Last year, we had James, Rebecca, Hugh, Anna, Famke, Alan and Shawn on there. But this year, only Halle and Hugh were there.

It's not ALL their fault as Fox is mostly to blame for their getting most of the spotlight. But I do blame Jackman more, as he was a producer on this movie and had power to change things.

__________________
FROM THE DESK OF: TOBIAS FUNKE

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #106
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCues
In Hughs defense he did nothing FOX wanted nothing but Hugh. I do not hate Wolverine or Hugh (hes one of my favorite actors) but I do hate FOX because to them it is all about Wolverine.
Well yeah, sorry. I have the habit of saying Hugh, so whenever I do (hey that ryhmed) please correct me. Butyeah, boo FOX!

__________________

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #107
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Sweet Goddess! I'm sorry, I made a mistake and posted twice.

__________________


Last edited by javon; 08-17-2006 at 04:42 PM.
javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #108
WorthyStevens
Green Man
 
WorthyStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gobias Industries
Posts: 14,365
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Edit

__________________
FROM THE DESK OF: TOBIAS FUNKE

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #109
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthyStevens4
Take a look at any poster and you'll see that they are the only marquee names on there. This is an ensemble cast, but those 2 are the only ones being pushed.
I see where uour coming from. But didn't they do that because they were bigger stars? (Well I know Halle is but not Hugh)

Quote:
ven the TRL special this year is another example. Last year, we had James, Rebecca, Hugh, Anna, Famke, Alan and Shawn on there. But this year, only Halle and Hugh were there.
Okay?

Quote:
KiLL their fault as Fox is mostly to blame for their getting most of the spotlight. But I do blame Jackman more, as he was a producer on this movie and had power to change things.
(Sorry 4 cutting out some of ur post, it was a mistake). Halle is getting NO SPOTLIGHT! Why the heck is everyone saying that?! Bobby got more spotlight than she did! Rogue did!

__________________


Last edited by javon; 08-17-2006 at 05:34 PM.
javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #110
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,185
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

You know...dont ask why people are so bitter when you once again throw out the "jealousy" card. I'm sorry, but stupid excuses like that is exactly that...an excuse.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #111
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman
You know...dont ask why people are so bitter when you once again throw out the "jealousy" card. I'm sorry, but stupid excuses like that is exactly that...an excuse.
Are you talking me?

__________________

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #112
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,185
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javon
Are you talking me?
nope....I'm talking about people who wonder about the hostility here, and then they say things to fuel the hostility even further.

If you hate wolverine already, an ignorant wolverine fanboy telling you you're just jealous will not help the situation

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #113
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,185
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

As for Halle...Like mentioned, if there was any reason to dislike her, it was when she was doing catwoman. If that movie had been a hit, I truly believe she wouldnt have done X3. And who can forget the memorable statement where she said shed do catwoman 2 before x3?

Also, her role was not as minor as everyone claims. She even had a storyarc in the movies, at least the first two, all about her and her hostility towards humans. She was pretty prominent in X2 as well, even SAVING THE DAY.

Also, kinberg himself said that X3 was all about Halle and Hugh, even though halle was hino.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #114
ntcrawler
Side-Kick
 
ntcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the near future
Posts: 2,557
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strikez!
So she got a title change. What else did she get Worthy? Seriously man, did Storm really get to "do more"?

Did she get a romantic plot? No.

Was she part of the main conflict a la Jean? No.

Did she truly *lead* the team into battle as Scott would have? No.


She was a HINO (Headmistress In Name Only)!
You forgot one. At any point did Storm experience some sort of conflict or troubles that anyone gave a damn about or that influenced the story in some way? When Ororo was sad or upset, did anyone give a damn or care about how she felt or what she thought? Nope

Quote:
butt lectured to along with her students by Wolverine in the hangar. If Scott and Charles wasn't available, Storm should've been giving that speech--not the Newcommer.
Exactly. Also don't forget her background: thief, pickpocket, master of infiltrating the underworld in the streets. And her gordening. We never got to see any of that. She was mostly a tool, a weapon to use when you need fog or smoke screen or lightning. Even that brief scene in X2 with NightCrawler about fear vs Faith giving one strength though touching, was never acted upon and completely disappeared along with NightCrawler

Quote:
So, again...on a scale of 1 to 10 just how valuable was the "freakin' Headmaster" role at the end of the day? Hmmm?
looks like she was the token principal. Someone had to sit at the desk and have her picture on the booklets to pass out to students and families.

__________________
He'd never believed in life after death until Jean had died, and he still wasn't sure what he believed, but he believed in something. Maybe he just believed in her.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #115
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman
nope....I'm talking about people who wonder about the hostility here, and then they say things to fuel the hostility even further.

If you hate wolverine already, an ignorant wolverine fanboy telling you you're just jealous will not help the situation
So true.

__________________

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #116
ntcrawler
Side-Kick
 
ntcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the near future
Posts: 2,557
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981
I take it you didn't watch X1?

Scott-::Looking down on a professor who is in a coma:: If anything happens, I'll take care of them.
And that was meant to be one of the most important scenes for Scott. It establishes his role in the group, his place within the institute, as well as the heavy burden that he has been raised and trained to continue to carry on his shoulders. In addition, he's supposed to be a strong character, a heroic character. Like Xavier, he wouldn't say something unless he meant it, or make a promise that he didn't intend to keep.

And then to just cheaply kill him off like that, was bad. Plain bad. But this isn't the only promise that was broken as set up in X1 and X2 but then messed up by X3. There are at least 2 others:

X1: Final scene between Xavier and Eric.

Eric: "The war is coming, Charles, and I intend to fight it any way I can"
Xavier: "And I will always be there, old friend..."

Whoops! Sorry Charles, but you got turned into salsa by your protege before you had a chance to "be there". So much for that promise.

X2: Museum scene between Scott and Jean

Scott: "I won't let anything happen to you"

We all know how that turned out, don't we?

Foreshadowing and promises don't work unless you actually intend to keep them and let chars carry them out. You reduce them to empty words and the chars to liars if things keep turning out this way. In fact the only char who was allowed to keep his promise was Wolverine, giving his dogtags to Marie at the end of X1 and promising he'll come back to get them. Imagine how cheap things would be if he just died between X1 and X2.

Other examples where the integrity of the trilogy would be ruined if Foreshadowing or promises were violated? How about the Star Wars classic trilogy?

Empire Strikes back, as Luke takes off from Dagobah to Bespin.

Kenobi: "He was our last hope"
Yoda: "No, there is another".

We all found out who that "other" was. Imagine how cheap things would have been if something like this was never touched upon but just forgotten, like that scene between Ororo atd Kurt onboard the X-Jet in X2, or the other broken promises I mention above?

Quote:
I wouldn't have minded if he died, just as long as if it was heroic and made sense to the overall concept. Nothing made sense in this movie, nothing clicked, nothing made an impact, and everything was just bunch of mindless action pieces that didn't serve the plot at all(IMO).
Death should happen for a reason. Death should make a point to the plot or advance it in some way. You should'nt kill off characters because they're not your checklist. Death should also be surprising and not easy to come by. This is supposed to be a thriller after all. Scott's death was not expected. Not because it was so brilliantly and surprisingly done but because it was so preposterous. On the other hand, who here was actually surprised that Jean died at the end? I didn't think so...

Quote:
Xavier would've never given up on Scott the way he did. A true Xavier would've said, "Scott's a changed man. He took Jean's death so hard, but I know that he'll keep his promise to me if anything happens."
That's really really good! Mind if I use that line? In addition, it was surprising how no one tried reaching out and supporting Scott. not even a reassuring hug from Ororo seeing that he was still troubled. Heck, they didn't even miss him when it was assumed he was dead. Bunch of savages they must be...

__________________
He'd never believed in life after death until Jean had died, and he still wasn't sure what he believed, but he believed in something. Maybe he just believed in her.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #117
ntcrawler
Side-Kick
 
ntcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the near future
Posts: 2,557
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthyStevens4
Take a look at any poster and you'll see that they are the only marquee names on there. This is an ensemble cast, but those 2 are the only ones being pushed.
Actually it's even worse now. On the latest promotional material from FOX pushing the DVD release of X3: The Last Stand, it only refers to the material as "X-men, starring Hugh Jackman". In the official literature and press releases, he seems to be the only name being mentioned.
Quote:
Hell, even the TRL special this year is another example. Last year, we had James, Rebecca, Hugh, Anna, Famke, Alan and Shawn on there. But this year, only Halle and Hugh were there.
Exactly There were other cast members in the movie too. We saw them! We know they're there!

__________________
He'd never believed in life after death until Jean had died, and he still wasn't sure what he believed, but he believed in something. Maybe he just believed in her.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #118
ntcrawler
Side-Kick
 
ntcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the near future
Posts: 2,557
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherwitch
I know, right? It's comical. It's OPINION. I mean really. The fact of the matter is that a majority of moviegoers don't give a rats ass about the fanboy details that has everyone on these boards panties in a bunch.
But it's because of these fans that the comics have been published for 40 years. And it's because of the comic's popularity, because of the fans, that these movies were made in the first place. To ignore the fanbase that made this successful and possible in the first place and insult their intelligence by claiming to make movies which are deep and moving but by the third one that depth is long, is just not right. You're a writer yourself, aren't you? You understand the importance of giving a story depth and intelligence, and the effort that it takes to do it right.

__________________
He'd never believed in life after death until Jean had died, and he still wasn't sure what he believed, but he believed in something. Maybe he just believed in her.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #119
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,913
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthyStevens4
Hell, even the TRL special this year is another example. Last year, we had James, Rebecca, Hugh, Anna, Famke, Alan and Shawn on there. But this year, only Halle and Hugh were there.
James was working on another film. Famke was doing the talk-show circuit on the West Coast. Alan wasn't even in X3.

They all did the Today Show--all of the kids, Halle, Hugh, and Kelsey were on together the day the movie opened.

It's not like they were all shunned from the spotlight--I enjoyed the X2 TRL better, but they all made plenty of publicity rounds.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #120
Jan Irisi
Side-Kick
 
Jan Irisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,762
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman
nope....I'm talking about people who wonder about the hostility here, and then they say things to fuel the hostility even further.

If you hate wolverine already, an ignorant wolverine fanboy telling you you're just jealous will not help the situation

Sooooo, let me get this straight. Someone likes the film so they must be FOX/Rothman/whoever loyalists, right? Someone likes the character of Wolverine so he/she must be ignorant fanboys, correct? Now, not just fanboys, but ignorant fanboys, right?


Hmmmm....I gotta keep on track of these things. I happen to have liked the film, but feel no loyalty at all to FOX/Rothman/Ratner/Singer or anyone else for that matter. I like the character of Wolverine, yet I am most definitely not a fangirl, and I am certainly not "ignernt" either. I also like Beast, Nightcrawler and Magneto too. Mystique, Pyro, and Jean Grey are also high on the list.

But I'm supposed to be a loyalist, and an ignorant fangirl too. But I'm not. I'm just someone who raises my children and loves my husband and ventures out of my house once in a while to see a movie. Sometimes the movie is good, and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes my kids like a film and I do not, or vice versa.

Funny how things work.

Jan Irisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #121
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,913
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
Actually it's even worse now. On the latest promotional material from FOX pushing the DVD release of X3: The Last Stand, it only refers to the material as "X-men, starring Hugh Jackman". In the official literature and press releases, he seems to be the only name being mentioned.

Exactly There were other cast members in the movie too. We saw them! We know they're there!
Yes, and if they say in James Marsden in that line, people complain that they're being lied to because that makes it look like he has a more prominent role in the film. It happened when a uniformed Cyclops appeared on the international posters.

Hugh is the star of the movie. Of course they're going to give him the first credit. Welcome to Hollywood.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #122
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,185
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

*Sigh*....

I didnt say any of the things you just claimed, so stop your usual overreacting, Jan....

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #123
ntcrawler
Side-Kick
 
ntcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the near future
Posts: 2,557
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse
Hugh is the star of the movie. Of course they're going to give him the first credit. Welcome to Hollywood.
Thanks. I lived there for 12 years.

He's not the ONLY star in the movie. Read the above posts. Equal billing for Halle, and the prominance and fame of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. Why are they being shoved aside like that and not complaining?

__________________
He'd never believed in life after death until Jean had died, and he still wasn't sure what he believed, but he believed in something. Maybe he just believed in her.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #124
Jan Irisi
Side-Kick
 
Jan Irisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,762
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman
*Sigh*....

I didnt say any of the things you just claimed, so stop your usual overreacting, Jan....
You did say "ignorant Wolverine fanboys" did you not? It is said here all the time. Those three words have become inseparable now. And the term "[fill in blank with name of choice] loyalist has been tossed around a lot too.


And on the whole, who is over reacting, hmmm? I'm just trying to get things straight is all. Don't wanna be left out of the loop.

Jan Irisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #125
javon
Side-Kick
 
javon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,000
Default Re: The 3 H's: What's REALLY Going On Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman
*Sigh*....

I didnt say any of the things you just claimed, so stop your usual overreacting, Jan....
OMG that was so funny! LMFAO!

__________________

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.