The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #51
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: X3 vs Superman/Warner vs Fox...Who won? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhere
So true, I don't understand those who say X3 was worse than Elektra or Batman and Robin. While X3 is not the best film in the world it far exceeds those two films. Sure there are some things that weren't up to fanboy expectations but it was an enjoyable film but could have been better.
I remember me and you quite worried about this film in that old running time thread.. im glad you found it enjoyable as much as I did

XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #52
CapBeerCino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
Interesting point that writers can flesh out a more engaging and better developed story from what was essentially an amusement park ride than they can from 40 years of character drama and sci fi thrillers
Mm... to me both movies sucked about the same as far as story telling goes, but I don't really care about Will, Elizabeth, etc... so I wasn't all that disappointed.

Well, I'm off to watch SR g'night.

CapBeerCino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #53
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Interesting point that writers can flesh out a more engaging and better developed story from what was essentially an amusement park ride than they can from 40 years of character drama and sci fi thrillers, especially when the latter have all this material at their disposal not to mention an established "think tank" of authors at marvel to consult with.
It's hardly a comparison. A movie based on a theme-park ride had no established fanbase, except people who liked the ride (who responded with "They're making it into a movie?!" ) Not only that, none of the main characters in POTC were actually part of the ride until the recent post-movie renovation.

There was no one to say that one favorite pirate was overlooked in favor of another. That a certain storyline wasn't played accurately. There weren't 40 years of stories to choose from, and they certainly were able to make their movie without facing fan scrutiny in whatever story they told.

Quote:
Exactly. Even casual fans or first-time viewers would have at least some idea of what to expect or who the characters are, even from just a cursory glance on the web and reading a little of the backgrounds.
Most "casual or first-time viewers" don't do that kind of research, nor are they required to.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #54
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse
Most "casual or first-time viewers" don't do that kind of research, nor are they required to.
I disagree. No established storyline should have to retell the entire story or the characters from scratch. LOTR expected its audience to at least have some familiarity with the characters or a general background of the world, and there were known cases of theatres passing out little leaflets giving a brief introduction to the characters.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #55
Storm22
Side-Kick

Anyone who thinks X3 is worse than B+R and Elektra seriously needs to have another look at those films!

Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #56
Mike059jig
DESTROY GOTHAM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac
When drawing from 40 years of comics, with several different continuities and versions of characters, there are bound to be decisions that upset fans because elements are adapted, compressed, omitted, expanded... There is no single version of events, no one version of any character.
Stop trying to make it so complicated theirs only one reincarnation each character was based on from the movies and thats their most famous one and well known by everybody....and one universe where each movie took a story line from ...Tell me about these several continuities You talk about againg

Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #57
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I disagree. No established storyline should have to retell the entire story or the characters from scratch. LOTR expected its audience to at least have some familiarity with the characters or a general background of the world, and there were known cases of theatres passing out little leaflets giving a brief introduction to the characters.
Not true. You can't assume the entire audience does any homework to be more familiar with the source material before they see a movie for the first time.

I saw the LOTR movies 9 times in the theater, in 2 different states, and never saw notes handed out, nor was anyone expected to know anything before the lights went down. I've never seen anyone involved with the production saying they expected that.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #58
Downhere
Jeremiah 33:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCharlieX
I remember me and you quite worried about this film in that old running time thread.. im glad you found it enjoyable as much as I did
Yes I enjoyed it but still believe it could have been better if it had time to breathe and focus a bit more on character development. It was a worthy entry to the X-franchise despite all of it's short comings.

Downhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #59
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Exactly my view

XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #60
DarknessOfDeath
Something grows dark

Re: X3 vs Superman/Warner vs Fox...Who won? (Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCharlieX
Exactly my view
Me too

Eva Green for Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix if Marvel gets the rights back for X-Men.

ďIt is some kind of a cosmic force that somehow felt drawn to Jean and her powers. It inhabited her body and mind, which made Jean vulnerable to losing control of her extended powers. Iíve seen what this cosmic entity can do, for I looked into Jeanís conscious mind and saw some things I didnít like and Scott, believe me; it is unlike anything weíve encountered of our time.Ē - Xavier
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 PM   #61
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Me three.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 AM   #62
SCOTT&JEAN
Side-Kick

Me four

SCOTT&JEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #63
MJB
Side-Kick

I wouldn't say the X franchise is dead and Superman Returns won. I think if FOX had not rushed production and moved the film to Xmas of 06 or better Summer 07 we would've gotten a better film. You don't have a lot of time to focus on script changes, action sequences, fx and the rest of the production when you're being rushed to meet a deadline. No doubt X3 has some problems, but i loved it and it wa better then the 1st two. SR was a beautifully shot film and the quality was better then X3's, but story wise it was weak, I liked X3 better.

I just feel that both FOX and WB needs to examine these huge franchises. Superman fans and the general public was let down with the long drug out film with little action while Xfans was outraged over the wasted potential and the Dark Phoenix light story. The thing that pissed me off the most was the fact that Phoenix did nothing spectacular to showcase her power, yeah the scene with Prof X was great but much more should have been done and Cyclops was ass phucked. DP is a chracter who could beat the Xmen and Superman combined.

I doubt we're going to get an X4 anytime soon, and FOX's thinking that just doing a solo Wolverine film to cut the cost of doing a full Xmen film is going to win them a massive box office are in for a let down. I'm convinced that Wolverine will do well, probaly rake in 80-120 million domestically, but fans and the public want to see all the Xmen, and not a film with a guy with claws in place of cool FX. I love Wolverine, but as a summer tentpole film with a pg 13 rating??? Oh well I hope Fox wise up and moves along with X4 for summer 08 or 09

MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #64
MJB
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm22
Anyone who thinks X3 is worse than B+R and Elektra seriously needs to have another look at those films!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!

MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #65
Kurosawa
Banned User

Did either of those movies KILL great characters? Did either of those movies desecrate the greatest comics storyline of all time? No.

B & R and Elektra > X3. Which is like saying moldy feces is better than rotted feces. They all suck.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #66
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay
There's not "I guess" about it. It is your opinion. Because despite what you might want to believe, not everyone felt this movie was as bad as you're exaggerating it out to be. Worse than Elektra or Batman & Robin? I laugh at that.

But "I guess" that's just my opinion...
Normally I'd agree with you on that, but X3 is SO disgusting to me and I hate it SO much that I just can't personally see my opinion of it as just my opinion. To me the fact that X3 is a sickening piece of **** is as much a fact as the sky being blue. It's maybe the movie I hate more than any other.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #67
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa
Normally I'd agree with you on that, but X3 is SO disgusting to me and I hate it SO much that I just can't personally see my opinion of it as just my opinion. To me the fact that X3 is a sickening piece of **** is as much a fact as the sky being blue. It's maybe the movie I hate more than any other.
And imagine how much you'd hate it if you'd actually seen it.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #68
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse
And imagine how much you'd hate it if you'd actually seen it.
I don't waste money on crap movies that kill off my favorite characters.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #69
Cyclops
Side-Kick

As far as I'm concerned, Superman was the better film. It stirred emotions in me that ranged from excitement to pity to awe.

X3 only succeeded in pissing me off.

"...... Muppets. Goodnight, Randy."
"Goodnight, Earl."
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote