The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 08-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Pacing: When did you realize it was very fast?

Where did I feel that pacing was very fast?

1. Beast/Leech scene. This one deserved to go a lot longer than it did.

2. Scott/Logan- Another one that went too fast. The tension was there between the two, but it needed to be fleshed out and it could've still ended with Scott saying, "Not everyone heals as fast as you Logan."

3. The Final Battle- Very anti-climatic, too fast paced, and not really epic or tragic enough to call it "The Last Stand".

4. Xavier, Beast, Storm, Logan, and Rogue "Cure Debate" scene was another one that needed to be fleshed out more, it could've added some more drama between Rogue and Beast who deep down inside wanted the cure.

5. Logan/Storm finding Jean- Come on, where's Scott? You ignore finding Scott especially finding his glasses and completely forget about him? They could've used this scene to show them looking for him and so forth.

6. Scott/Jean reunion- Pretty self explanatory. Didn't have the necessary emotion that is expected upon seeing your loved one return from the dead.

There's a lot more than what I wrote. But that's just a few that needed to be addressed.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #27
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pacing: When did you realize it was very fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981
Where did I feel that pacing was very fast?

1. Beast/Leech scene. This one deserved to go a lot longer than it did.
I didn't feel that the impact of what Leech could do had a chance to settle in. Especially with beast. I always understood that despite his good nature he was troubled by his appearance and the difficulties it caused in social situations. I remember a scene from TAS where he was looking bat at his childhood pictures, seeing his transformation with tears in his eyes. But didn't sense that conflict here, mostly because of how rushed it was.

Quote:
2. Scott/Logan- Another one that went too fast. The tension was there between the two, but it needed to be fleshed out and it could've still ended with Scott saying, "Not everyone heals as fast as you Logan."
I didn't have a problem with this scene being rushed, because by all things holy, I didn't expect this to be the LAST scene between them, you know? Who would think Scott would technically be "dead" shortly after? Not me!
Quote:
4. Xavier, Beast, Storm, Logan, and Rogue "Cure Debate" scene was another one that needed to be fleshed out more, it could've added some more drama between Rogue and Beast who deep down inside wanted the cure.
There wasn't much of a debate. Rogue wants the cure, and Storm feels she's a coward for wanting it. End of scene.
Quote:
5. Logan/Storm finding Jean- Come on, where's Scott? You ignore finding Scott especially finding his glasses and completely forget about him? They could've used this scene to show them looking for him and so forth.
Yeah, talk about rushed and lack of impact. They find Jean on the rocks. Next scene: back in the infirmary with Xavier's hands on her head. Rushed? You bet!

Quote:
6. Scott/Jean reunion- Pretty self explanatory. Didn't have the necessary emotion that is expected upon seeing your loved one return from the dead.
Ditto. You wait 3 years in the audience. Scott waits through 8 months of torment. Can't even savor a single kiss. Impact, Things happened so fast you didn't even time to register what happened.

It seems the small, less significant scenes weren't rushed. Like Bobby and Kitty ice-skating. They got all the time in the world to do their scene. But not the really important ones.

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #28
XCharlieX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWoman
When the movie finished I thought it was a fast paced movie, but when I saw it a second and third time it felt alot longer...and better paced because of it!
Hopefully on dvd itll feel that way when i see it a 2nd time, now that we know what happens. I did pay very close attention just in case the pacing was rapid, but it still felt fast overall with the final battle quickly approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
I disagree. I consider that it was Jean herself calling out to Scott, not a ploy by Phoenix to lure him to his doom, and Jean was clearly happy to see him. That it was Scott's presence which work her up and allowed herself to be freed, and not directly caused by his optic blasts. But to each his own. you're entitled to your opinion.
That was an interesting scene... i dunno if it was scott literally awaking phoenix underwater with that blast but it worked.

The resulting whirlpool was cool

Last edited by XCharlieX; 08-22-2006 at 04:54 PM.
XCharlieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #29
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
That was an interesting scene... i dunno if it was scott literally awaking phoenix underwater with that blast but it worked.
I didn't think he was literally waking her up, because she was calling out to him for months and months. Those scenes of him clutching his head and seeing Jean drowning and crying out to him wasn't just him hallucinating, so some part of her was awake enough to reach out to him.

Quote:
The resulting whirlpool was cool
It was, yeah. And there was something glowing and flying to approach Scott. You can just make it out on the edge of the screen and from the way the light shines on Scott. The cameraman just didn't bother to pan the camera to show us what it was. D'oh!

But again, that whole scene was rushed. You did not have enough time to even register what happened or what was going on before you were suddenly tossed over to the next scene with Xavier screaming, then Logan and Storm running to the plane, and then once again back to Alkali Lake. They make it seem like Alkali Lake was just across the neighborhood when in reality it was almost on the other side of the continent.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #30
KingOfDreams
Side-Kick

I'd say either Scott's death or Professor X's death.

KingOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:52 PM   #31
XCharlieX

Theres one method singer did that ratner refused to do pretty much. If you check x2s ending where cyclops ,xavier and wolverine are still mourning Jean at the mansion, the directing stays on the people for impact for like 4 seconds after theyre done talking. Very careful, and deliberate. Often ratner feels like he cant wait until they stop talking to cut lol

Old 08-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #32
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Pacing: When did you realize it was very fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCharlieX
Theres one method singer did that ratner refused to do pretty much. If you check x2s ending where cyclops ,xavier and wolverine are still mourning Jean at the mansion, the directing stays on the people for impact for like 4 seconds after theyre done talking. Very careful, and deliberate. Often ratner feels like he cant wait until they stop talking to cut lol
By his own admission he gets bored easily on the set, gets bored during long movies, and prefers to keep it moving at a fast ADD frenetic pace. Hence why nothing was allowed to set in with impact or emotion.

Singer understands emotion, tragedy, and storytelling. Ratner does not.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #33
javon
Side-Kick

I saw that when Jean left the mansion, she was at her house and right into the mental battle. Then before that I saw that Storms balcony scene wasn;t even worth being in the movie because it didn;t even last 2 minutes. Then their was Scott's entire character, and some other stuff.

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #34
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Good point about the scene with Jean at her house. Xavier and Eric walk in and they can't wait to start fighting and trying to capture Jean. Xavier understood caution at that point but there wasn't enough time in that scene to really say or contemplate anything. No mention of the changes taking place or what's happening with Jean, no time to let it settle in.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #35
KingOfDreams
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981
By his own admission he gets bored easily on the set, gets bored during long movies, and prefers to keep it moving at a fast ADD frenetic pace. Hence why nothing was allowed to set in with impact or emotion.

Singer understands emotion, tragedy, and storytelling. Ratner does not.
Dude, if that's the case then Ratner should not be a director.

KingOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #36
javon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
Good point about the scene with Jean at her house. Xavier and Eric walk in and they can't wait to start fighting and trying to capture Jean. Xavier understood caution at that point but there wasn't enough time in that scene to really say or contemplate anything. No mention of the changes taking place or what's happening with Jean, no time to let it settle in.
Before I saw the movie I thought that her metal batle with Prof. would be LATER on in the movie.

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #37
XCharlieX

if they can find the end edges to many of those scenes and SE it, thatd be great lol

Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #38
BMM
Side-Kick

I realized it was fast paced at the beginning of the movie when it quickly jumped from 20 years ago to 10 years ago to the opening credits.

Any additional suspicion I had was confirmed during the Danger Room sequence. After the controversy surrounding the editing and pacing of the clip featured on The Tonight Show, Kinberg and/or Penn stated that the scene was heavily edited for time . . . but after seeing that it was edited exactly in the manner as it was shown on The Tonight Show, I realized the movie was in for more editing/pacing issues.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:22 PM   #39
Disclaimer
Side-Kick

Starting the film with two scenes before the credits even began is what made me go, "uh-oh... this isn't like the others."

What really cemented it was how these two well-paced and serious scenes after the Fox logo suddenly felt meaningless as the camera dives into Angel's wounds and these choppy images appear that didn't even come close to the tone of 'X1' and 'X2'.

No voiceover, no depth to the images, no "rollercoaster" of DNA or something... a really crap version of the logo... and then even the trademark zoom into the cerebro door felt like it was on fast-forward.

It's subtle, I know... but I think it frustrated me because, at the end of the day, editing and opening credits are two things that could easily have been done right.

I also think starting in the Danger Room get the film off on a really cheap-shot kind of start, especially after the tone of the first two. I'd expected a peaceful shot of Alkali Lake or something... maybe with Scott searching for Jean.

Disclaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #40
XCharlieX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclaimer
a really crap version of the logo...
The logo was the same font as the first films intro lol

And anyone that can recall.. the particles depicted were cells werent they? I forget.

But these were definitely not what clued me in.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #41
Disclaimer
Side-Kick

Quote:
The logo was the same font as the first films intro lol

And anyone that can recall.. the particles depicted were cells werent they? I forget.

But these were definitely not what clued me in.
Trust me... there was something different about it that made it look really cheap. Same font, perhaps, but the way it was rendered wasn't. Maybe it was the addition of 'The Last Stand' in italics... or the size on-screen... I dunno... but if you've ever done anything in the subtleties of graphic design, you'd probably have an eye for it.

I wish I didn't sometimes, to be honest. I see stuff like that all the time and it irritates me.

As for the cells... yeah... you're right... and I saw the reasoning behind it... but the first two films were quite detailed and took us on this kind of 3D journey. 'X3' was pretty static in comparison and featured all those filmed sequences of a laboratory.

It just felt more suited to Spider-Man in the way it was animated.

Either way, it was the lack of monologue and the way it just cut from the Angel scene and into the Danger Room with that swift fast-forward that got to me.

It's a lot of analysis of something so minor... but that's the point... it was minor... and should therefore have been an easy link to the prior films.

It'd be like if just one of the six Star Wars episodes had dark orange font and scrolled straight up instead of into the horizon.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #42
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclaimer

looks like someone needs a hug. -huggles-

have a cookie

Last edited by DarknessOfDeath; 08-22-2006 at 08:24 PM.
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #43
XCharlieX

I like cookies..

Cookie monster: cookie!.. unumumumum lmao

Oh one more thing about pacing for me... when Eriks is in the park at the endi thoght it was going to slow down, and it did for a few moments as the camera panned to show Erik

...and then chesspiecetwitchandcredits : lol

At least the xavier scene after credits made up for it a bit

Old 08-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #44
Disclaimer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath
looks like someone needs a hug. -huggles-

have a cookie
Ta!

Old 08-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #45
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

This maybe a bit off topic but okay well Im in the middle of ripping scenes from X2 from my X2 dvd. Im at the part when Jean is talking to Logan after he arrives and they talk...yeah...they talk and this got me thinking and curious as to perhaps there might be more deleted scenes which weren't on the dvd itself other than what is on both X-Men DVDs. I was wondering if there were more scenes that were deleted than what we have seen on X-Men and X-Men United. Just curious. you know. you never know really if there were more that was shot but ended up on the cutting room floor but still didin't end up on the dvd as a deleted scene. MAN! Gah grr. I still feel theres some things left out from the first two. you know? More of Jean...more of Scott...more of everybody. you know. just curious.

"You'll still be here when we get back...unless you plan on running off again."

I guess I could think of a few reasons to stick around...

Old 08-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #46
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath
This maybe a bit off topic but okay well Im in the middle of ripping scenes from X2 from my X2 dvd. Im at the part when Jean is talking to Logan after he arrives and they talk...yeah...they talk and this got me thinking and curious as to perhaps there might be more deleted scenes which weren't on the dvd itself other than what is on both X-Men DVDs. I was wondering if there were more scenes that were deleted than what we have seen on X-Men and X-Men United. Just curious. you know. you never know really if there were more that was shot but ended up on the cutting room floor but still didin't end up on the dvd as a deleted scene. MAN! Gah grr. I still feel theres some things left out from the first two. you know? More of Jean...more of Scott...more of everybody. you know. just curious.

"You'll still be here when we get back...unless you plan on running off again."

I guess I could think of a few reasons to stick around...
I believe that when discussing the possibility of an X2 2.5 dvd, it has been mentioned that there is plenty of stuff we didn't see not featured on the X2 dvd.

Last edited by BMM; 08-22-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #47
DarknessOfDeath
We're badasses...

Well I remember, though im not sure, but I remember reading somewhere that there was a scene when Jean tries to catch up with Senator Kelly after the Senate hearing and someone in the crowd throws a water bottle at her but she stops it by using her telekenetic powers...thus revealing she's a mutant. I think I remember actually seeing this scene...but again... I dunno. -sighs- this was a long time ago back when I first saw X-Men in 2000.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #48
XCharlieX

Hmm not once did i ever think x2 needed deleted scenes... i wouldnt even bother with an x2.5... no need imo.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #49
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hmm not once did i ever think x2 needed deleted scenes... i wouldnt even bother with an x2.5... no need imo.
I don't think X2 requires deleted scenes either. I wouldn't be opposed to additional bonus features, including unseen clips, though.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #50
Neto Magnus
Banned User

as soon as I realized that there was no Xavier monologue, I knew that everything is going to be fast paced.

Neto Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote