The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #151
Vile
The Future is Vile

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman
Which is funny since the Joker of TDK sounds to be similar to the classic Joker
True, but I think we can all agree that the Joker we love today is a hell of a lot closer to his ORIGINAL self, not what was 'lost in translation' throughout the years.

Jack did a fine Joker, but as you said Nolan will give us the real real deal.

"You have failed me for the last time, Jesus."

*Force-choke*
Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:40 AM   #152
Jack Napier
Side-Kick

No, I don't think Nicholson nailed the Joker. Lara Flynn Boyle and Angelica Huston, yes, but Joker? C'mon now...

Jack Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #153
DV8
Band Loser

Jack Nicholson's performance as Joker in Batman '89 is cinematic history as far as I'm concerned . . . . I believe he delivered exactly what he was intended to . . . . namely, Burton's vision of the character; which was a combination of Romero's interpretation and the actual character of Joker that the comics have birthed over the years . . . . .

what we'll be getting w/ TDK, I believe is a new translation of the comic, straight from the source . . . . we're getting comic accuracy here, a true adaptation of what Batman is . . . .

we should all remember that Burton's success weighs heavily on his pop-culture influence and use of those sensibilities to communicate with his audience . . . . his Batman was much a darker interpretation of the camp show, with a bit more emphasis on Batman, but not much . . . . and then, of course Schumacher took it WAY overboard

anyway . . . HULME BEEYITCHES!!!!!

avvy compliments of Duende Verde
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #154
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan01
Nicholson was a good Joker, but he wasn't that crazy.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #155
breyfogle_rules
Hell-bent for Leather

I was 12 when the first Batman movie came out and I was totally underwhelmed. Nicholsons gut reminded me of tweedle dee. In the Joker's intro in Batman #1 he's tough and kicks Batmans ass in a fist fight. There was hardly any actual fighting in the first movie. Michael Keaton with the fire poker "You wanna get nuts?! Lets get nuts!". SO bad. His kissy face inside the unmovable head. And lets not forget Prince's "Bat Dance".

What it did have going for it was the crazy fun-house feel and color scheme, which is a huge part of the comics. Hollywood cant seem to marry the bizarre visual feel to a script with impact. Its either plain black or Schumacher. ANything is possible with the right amount of guts, creativity and love of the character. Yes, even (shriek!) Batman in a BLUE costume (god forbid).

Alas, all Nolan needs to do with this new one is thin down Bats cowl a bit, give him some more head movement, and I will finally be a completely satisfied Batfan. I'm not worried about Ledgers joker at all. Hells yeah.

breyfogle_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #156
El Payaso
Banned User

^ Hey, breyfogle_rules, Breyfogle rules.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #157
Caliber
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil
I'm read joker for long long time and when I picture joker the voice I hear in my head is hamill when I see joker I see 'the killing joke' and 'the return of the joker' (B:tas feature film)

THAT to me is joker. so who tells esoteric jokes (only he unders the punchline) he is dark witty charming and deadly.

Nicholson gave a good performance but I don't think his character had depth I was think good 'Nicholson performance' rather than 'THAT's joker' you know the scene where batman/bale interrogates the dirty cop THAT was batman to a tee, bale NAILED it right there and then.

so basically Nicholson gets a 'A' for effort but doesn't quite 'get' the joker. here's hoping nolan reads the killing joke and watches the return of the joker the quintessential joke stories and ledger gives the performance of his career.

anyone else agree?
I argee complelty because Nicholson wasn't crazy enough. He didn't do enough or act like hes not all there. Hes was a petty thug who just did what he want in Batman. Hes a great actor but no joker. I have faith in Nolans Joker in that it will be dark and sinister.

The very meaningless of life forces man to to create his own meaning- Stanley Kubrick

Avvy by Hunter Rider
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #158
Rizor
Side-Kick

Jack's performance in the Batman movie IS cinematic history, but ultimately, it's just a wrong characterization.

Jack did more or less doing what he was hired to, which was play Jack Nicholson in the Joker costume. He was known more for playing crazy guys (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining) and that was the character they wanted in the movie.

Rizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #159
Caliber
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor
Jack's performance in the Batman movie IS cinematic history, but ultimately, it's just a wrong characterization.

Jack did more or less doing what he was hired to, which was play Jack Nicholson in the Joker costume. He was known more for playing crazy guys (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shining) and that was the character they wanted in the movie.
It was not history, thats complete bull. Romero's Joker sucked and Burton's Batman and Joker sucked.

The very meaningless of life forces man to to create his own meaning- Stanley Kubrick

Avvy by Hunter Rider
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #160
El Payaso
Banned User

Edit

Last edited by El Payaso; 09-14-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #161
Rizor
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber
It was not history, thats complete bull. Romero's Joker sucked and Burton's Batman and Joker sucked.
Maybe not cinematic history (I took that phrase from someone else's post), but his performance as the Joker has kinda seeped into the public conscious. Jack Nicholson in the purple suit, the white makeup and the big grin is one of the most memorable images from any film made in the 1980s.

Rizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #162
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:

True. There's no question that Nicholson's Joker is a historical figure for the cinema.

And that, children, is why Ledger will always be second-best.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #163
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Maybe not cinematic history (I took that phrase from someone else's post), but his performance as the Joker has kinda seeped into the public conscious. Jack Nicholson in the purple suit, the white makeup and the big grin is one of the most memorable images from any film made in the 1980s.
No one made Nicholson-Romero comparisions as they're already making Ledger-Nicholson. That doesn't mean anything against Ledger, of course, but it certainly says a lot of how deep Nicholson's performance was set.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #164
Duneboy
......incognito

to elpayaso (zee clown), yeah, Breyfogle in my opinion was one of the best batman artists.

Duneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #165
Spideyfan01
R.I.P. Heath Ledger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso

What does this mean!? I was simply saying that Nicholson was a good Joker, but could have been better. Burton made Joker too much killer, not enough clown!

To Them, You're Just a Freak......Like Me!- The Joker
Spideyfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #166
titan101
Banned User

Quote:
What does this mean!? I was simply saying that Nicholson was a good Joker, but could have been better. Burton made Joker too much killer, not enough clown!
...... dude, i have no idea what to say........

titan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #167
BatFitz
Side-Kick

Actually I'd say that Burton made him too much clown...Nicholson's Joker is the Joker you'd want to hang out with actually...besides the homicidal artist stuff...but we need a Joker that we are afraid of...

Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #168
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Well, they say he wasn't crazy enough, we should be more afraid, but not being too much of a killer, he was too clowny, now he wasn't too clowny. Hence, headache.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #169
tinister
Side-Kick

I loved Nicholson's Joker. Was there alot of Nicholson in his portrayal? - of course.

But I think the majority of the public at the time was expecting a Cesar Romero Joker - since it was the first Batman movie in a long long while. And the larger public wasn't aware of the DKR version of Batman/Joker.

So I think Nicholson's version was just the right balance of the Joker that the general public is familiar with - and the darker Joker from the modern comic books.

I thought it was a a very good representation of Joker as an icon.

tinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #170
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinister
I loved Nicholson's Joker. Was there alot of Nicholson in his portrayal? - of course.

But I think the majority of the public at the time was expecting a Cesar Romero Joker - since it was the first Batman movie in a long long while. And the larger public wasn't aware of the DKR version of Batman/Joker.

So I think Nicholson's version was just the right balance of the Joker that the general public is familiar with - and the darker Joker from the modern comic books.

I thought it was a a very good representation of Joker as an icon.
This is a good point. If we had recieved the dark freaky Joker we all wanted in 89, people may have freaked out. Look what happened after Batman Returns.

But also, the point that tinister makes about the Joker really can be applied to the Burton Batman movies in general as well. Even if you hate the Burton movies, the one thing that can be said for them is that they brought to the public the idea of a dark Batman. Sure, the dark, gritty Bats had existed in the comics for a long time, but without Burton we might still be getting campy Batm movies.

Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #171
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Meh, I don't know about that. That's like saying because he has a history of playing guys with dual and hidden personas, rich flops, as well as cold vigilante type characters, Christian Bale was hired to play Christian Bale in Batman's costume.

Last edited by The Sage; 09-16-2006 at 08:34 PM.
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #172
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
Meh, I don't know about that. That's like saying because he has a history of playing guys with dual and hidden personas, rich flops, as well as cold vigilante type characters, Christian Bale was hire to play Christian Bale in Batman's costume.
And you think that wasn't one of the reasons?

Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #173
Katsuro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofHypertime
True. There's no question that Nicholson's Joker is a historical figure for the cinema.

And that, children, is why Ledger will always be second-best.
You should probably see the movie first. Just a thought.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #174
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso
And you think that wasn't one of the reasons?
Umm, no comment.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #175
Spideyfan01
R.I.P. Heath Ledger.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x
This is a good point. If we had recieved the dark freaky Joker we all wanted in 89, people may have freaked out. Look what happened after Batman Returns.

But also, the point that tinister makes about the Joker really can be applied to the Burton Batman movies in general as well. Even if you hate the Burton movies, the one thing that can be said for them is that they brought to the public the idea of a dark Batman. Sure, the dark, gritty Bats had existed in the comics for a long time, but without Burton we might still be getting campy Batm movies.

Unfortunatly, even though Burton introduced the dark Batman movies, Shumacher gave us a very Campy movie. Thank god for Nolan for saving the franchise!!!!

To Them, You're Just a Freak......Like Me!- The Joker
Spideyfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote