The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 08-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #26
britrogue
Side-Kick

Default Re: Which battle was worth saying "The Last Stand"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebil Gig
The final battle of course.

I loved the final battle, Phoenix vs Prof X and the whole neighborhood fight with Storm & Wolvie.

I was disappointed with Pyro vs Iceman cause we say 90% of the battle on TV and it could have been better.

Kitty vs Jugs was "meh".
That was my problem with the whole film. I was sitting in the Cinema, and by the time we got to the "Not everyone heals as fast as you Logan" scene, I was like, I've seen all of this already!

Top rated song of the week
I Walk Alone - Tarja Turunen
britrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #27
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrogue
That was my problem with the whole film. I was sitting in the Cinema, and by the time we got to the "Not everyone heals as fast as you Logan" scene, I was like, I've seen all of this already!
yeah, the marketing and the intenet as a whole really made the movie a lil worse. Imagine if we didnt know that the first scene was the danger room? it would be way better, imo. Or if i didnt know Professor and Scott would die...

flavio_lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #28
Decay
Side-Kick

I enjoyed Kitty vs Juggernaut...it was very funny, Wolverine vs Jean...very dramatic, especially the part where he tells her I love you and I guess Jean vs Xavier, his death was surprising.

I feel the anger changing me!
Decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio_lebeau
yeah, the marketing and the intenet as a whole really made the movie a lil worse. Imagine if we didnt know that the first scene was the danger room? it would be way better, imo. Or if i didnt know Professor and Scott would die...
Well if they didn't bother making a big deal in the interviews about how "major characters are going to die", then you wouldn't wonder about it. As I recall, the article I read in Rolling Stone magazine pointed out 3 things. 1) there would be the Phoenix saga, 2) there would be the concept of a cure for mutation, and 3) there will be lots of deaths.

On a different note, was anyone really surprised that Jean was going to die? Where's the suspense?

Jean: Mom says the only way I can cook is over a bunsen burner.
ntcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #30
November Rain
Single Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntcrawler
Xavier's fight against Jean was the last Stand, because that's the last time we got to see him standing up
that's the funniest **** i've heard in a long time....

sig-worthy

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #31
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well if they didn't bother making a big deal in the interviews about how "major characters are going to die", then you wouldn't wonder about it. As I recall, the article I read in Rolling Stone magazine pointed out 3 things. 1) there would be the Phoenix saga, 2) there would be the concept of a cure for mutation, and 3) there will be lots of deaths.

On a different note, was anyone really surprised that Jean was going to die? Where's the suspense?
lol there was a huge thing on my city's biggest newspaper because the dumbass reporter simply said in his review that Cyclops, Xavier and Jean would die. You cant imagine the next day's session of letters. It was all about X-men and how the damn reporter ruined the movie for everyone who read the review. Abot two days later, even another journalist who writes articles to that paper criticized the reporter.

His answer to the thing was: "the deaths weren't a big part of the movie". The situation got even worse, people saying he couldnt decide what was important in a movie, others saying he doesnt hav a right to tell the deaths, well it lasted about 1 week until the paper wrote an apologising letter LOL

Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #32
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio_lebeau
His answer to the thing was: "the deaths weren't a big part of the movie". The situation got even worse, people saying he couldnt decide what was important in a movie, others saying he doesnt hav a right to tell the deaths, well it lasted about 1 week until the paper wrote an apologising letter LOL
Haha, that's funny. Well obviously Cyke's death was not a big part of the movie considering how no one missed him! But if the deaths of major chars are not considered a big part of the movie by this reporter, then what is? The action? the special effects? The costumes? whether the X-jet looks cool? What could me more important that a character??? I don't get it!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #33
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha, that's funny. Well obviously Cyke's death was not a big part of the movie considering how no one missed him! But if the deaths of major chars are not considered a big part of the movie by this reporter, then what is? The action? the special effects? The costumes? whether the X-jet looks cool? What could me more important that a character??? I don't get it!
he's a dumbass. Even not considering the deaths a big part, he gave the movie a "" (which means its great, or 5 stars).
well, pretty much everyone in Brazil gave the movie at least 3 stars, with the majority giving 4 stars.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #34
javon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sadly,nobody does.

javon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
The Ones
Side-Kick

The Last Stand is Fans VS Fox

http://www.petitiononline.com/GregA/petition.html

Sign or i'll eat you.
The Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #36
javon
Side-Kick

LOL! I know. It's a shame that THATS what it comes down to.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #37
tonytr1687
Side-Kick

The only good action sequence was Xavier vs. Jean in her house. And maybe Wolverine vs. Spyke. The others were crap.

tonytr1687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #38
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ones
The Last Stand is Fans VS Fox
Brilliant! We WILL not stand for anymore BS from FOX! X3 is where we draw the line!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #39
javon
Side-Kick

Yeah! *Grabs knives and pitch forks*

Old 08-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #40
Baredevil
Side-Kick

Given the title "The Last Stand", plus the movie's premise of a final showdown between the two opposing forces of Mankind and MUtantkind, I was expecting to see confrontations on a grander, more massive scale.
Yes, there were numerous battles, both small-and-large scale, but the way they were executed made them really nothing more than gratuitous action sequences meant to highlight certain favored characters' powers.

"Whose side will you be on?" the posters always asked. It was a time to make a radical choice, not unlike what's happening now in our real world. The hysteria, the paranoia, and the radicalism that reduces people to the simplistic notion that "If you are not with us, then you are against us" just wasn't there, imho.

The action sequences could've built up progressively, escalating in scope and yes, even violence, to finally reach its zenith - or nadir, depending on where you stand - in one Final Battle Royale. On the Human side, the anti-mutant riots and demonstrations could've been more massive, showing tens of thousands of angry, frightened humans, captured in frenzied hand-held shots on CNN, railing against what they perceive to be "the mutant threat". Since a picture paints a thousand words, we could've been SHOWN the blind hatred that fear and distrust could breed. A mutant kid being beaten up by a roving band of human hooligans, maybe? Homes of known mutants being vandalized and spray-painted with the word "MUTIE!"? Suggestions of lynchings, even? Thing is, the violence that often accompanies a hysteric mob mentality just wasn't there. The so-called "oppression" of mutants by homo sapiens was never shown, only suggested in exposition. We may have had more sympathy for Magneto's radicalism had we been made to understand what he and his kind are made to undergo in a harsh, intolerant homo sapien environment.

On the Mutant Side, the increasingly radicalized mutants could've been goaded into violent retaliations. A mutant goes berserk in a crowded shopping mall, for instance. Or torments Homo sapien sympathizers with threatening displays of mutant might. Or how about breaking up an anti-mutant demonstration even more dramatically than Pyro did in that Mutant Cure Center scene? We don't have to look very far to see examples of these in our real world. Just tune in to CNN any day and you'll get what I mean.

My point is not about wanting to see gratuitous violence on-screen, especially not in a GP-rated summer popcorn movie. But I felt that we NEEDED to see an escalation of hysteria, violence, and desperation from both sides in order to dramatize the culmination of these in one final showdown between Mankind and Mutantkind. True, there were soldiers in Alcatraz, but they seemed more like a disposable regiment of the G.I. Joes rather than the armed might of the US military. I would've wanted to see them lined up in menacing row after row after row, like Hitler's Nazi Army or even Darth Vader's Stormtroopers, death squads armed not only with weapons but anti-mutant propaganda. On the opposing side, I would've wanted to see Magneto rallying his troops, making fiery, impassioned diatribes against Homo sapiens, and seeing a wide variety of assorted mutants thrown together in unity by desperation and self-preservation. Instead, The Brotherhood looked little more than a ragtag band of expendable thugs rather than a force to be reckoned with. There was no true show of force; hence, no battle scene that was a tour de force.

As a matter of fact, the entire confrontation between Mankind and Mutantkind could've been GLOBAL in scope. We could've seen the world's armies gearing up to wipe out mutantkind. And we could've seen mutants of all races banding together to defend their kind. And as the clock strikes down to Zero Hour, only the X-Men could've stood in the way of both these opposing forces of Homo Sapiens and Homo Superior, the sole voice of reason, as it were, in a world united only by madness.

That's the battle I was looking for.

End of rant.

My insane manips and rants : http://www.picturetrail.com/storm_girls
Baredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #41
ntcrawler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baredevil
Given the title "The Last Stand", plus the movie's premise of a final showdown between the two opposing forces of Mankind and MUtantkind, I was expecting to see confrontations on a grander, more massive scale.

That... is a final, grandoise showndown Between mutants and humankind? Looked to me more like an angry mob led by a terrorist trying to raid a research lab...

Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #42
Baredevil
Side-Kick

My point, exactly. What was supposed to be a "Last Stand" looked more like a "Let's Raid The Pharmacy And Break Out The Quaaludes"

My insane manips and rants : http://www.picturetrail.com/storm_girls
Baredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #43
javon
Side-Kick

LMFAO! I agree with you BareDevil. Bye!