The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Who do you choose guys?
Singer 69 46.62%
NOLAN 79 53.38%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #76
Parker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Singer Sequel or a Nolan Reimagine? VOTE!

Nolan did an excellent job with Batman, but that doesn't mean he'd reproduce that excellence with Superman. If you look at Burton's Batman films, they were pretty decent, but he was going to butcher Superman.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #77
Retroman
Side-Kick

Default Comment from Chris Nolan

Reporter tried to ask Nolan about Superman and he dodged the question. It probably means nothing but you never know.
This was spotted by Milkman95

From In Focus:

Quote:
TWO
STRIKES

MOVIE PUBLICIST: I have to drag Chris back on the set. One more question.

Uh…. Will the Joker be the only villain in “Dark Knight”? Can we safely confirm Ryan Phillippe as Harvey Dent and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin/Cobblepot?
You struck out with your last question!

I know.
How sad!

My editor wanted me to ask.
Wasted! Wasted!

I’m sorry.
Is there another question?

Could you see your Batman interacting with Singer’s Superman? [Nolan laughs] Another strikeout?
Another strikeout!

Oh, Lordy.
One more. Third time lucky.

How did you come to collaborate with David Goyer on “Batman Begins”?
Wow. I’m sure I can answer that one.

I first met him years before, through mutual friends one morning at breakfast. I remember chatting with him and thinking he was an interesting guy, and then, years later, checked out some of his stuff — especially “Dark City.” I was really impressed with the ideas in that film.

And when I was looking for somebody who really knew the world of comics — who could set me off on the right foot and really get me going in the right direction — he seemed the obvious choice. But he was absolutely booked up, because he was about seven or eight weeks from going into production on “Blade: Trinity,” which he was directing.

So we just spitballed a few ideas. And he said, “Look, you can have these ideas. I can’t write the script for you. I’m just too busy.” And then, over the course of a week or two, I guess he just realized that he couldn’t turn down the opportunity to write on the film. He loved the character so much. So he came on for a very short, intense period where we just thrashed out a story and he wrote the first draft. He had to work very, very fast. He’s a very quick writer.

Yeah, I’ve read that draft. There’s such a strong idea at the core of that thing.
Yeah. A lot of the fun we had — which we’re also having as we do “The Dark Knight” — is throwing ideas around before anything is written. Just talking about the script. He’s a tremendous collaborator.
Source: http://www.infocusmag.com/06October/prestige.htm

Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #78
matthooper
Side-Kick

Default Re: Comment from Chris Nolan

That's Nolan speak for Superman Returns sucked.

He could have politely said "we'll see" or "interesting", or a dozen of other cryptic yet benign responses.

matthooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #79
J.Howlett

I seriously doubt that's what Nolan meant....People just read way too much into comments too many times these days on the net.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #80
Thespiralgoeson
Cryptorchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthooper

He could have politely said "we'll see" or "interesting", or a dozen of other cryptic yet benign responses.
Nonsense. The possibility of a Batman/Superman movie is clearly out of Nolan's hands. That's up to the top dogs at WB. Nolan was clearly in no position to answer such a question. It was more like Nolan speak for "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #81
saint sinner x
Side-Kick

Superman wouldn't work with Batman and Nolan understands this. You should all understand as well, Nolan seeks for realism not sci-fi campy crap such as Superman Returns besides the B.O. speaks for itself Nolan would not want the money making Batman to form an alliance with the non-money making Superman. Get over it even if you guys want a world's finest or a Batman vs Superman film it wouldn't work out and it would probably end up pissing most of you off because I am 100percent confident Batman would win if Superman and Batman starts to fight.

"Now, longly hearts and Sunday School teachers like to say that the rain is the tears of God. But God doesn't bother to cry on Gotham. This rain? If it comes from Him...it's not His tears."
saint sinner x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #82
thedarks0ldier
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint sinner x
Superman wouldn't work with Batman and Nolan understands this. You should all understand as well, Nolan seeks for realism not sci-fi campy crap such as Superman Returns besides the B.O. speaks for itself Nolan would not want the money making Batman to form an alliance with the non-money making Superman. Get over it even if you guys want a world's finest or a Batman vs Superman film it wouldn't work out and it would probably end up pissing most of you off because I am 100percent confident Batman would win if Superman and Batman starts to fight.
B.O. dont say crap

DC Looney Tunes VS. Marvel Disney
thedarks0ldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 AM   #83
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:

or maybe, considering the very similar answer to the previous question, he was merely just in a position where he cant give an answer to that. plus, lets not forget, the question wasnt even if he liked SR or not, it had nothing to do with that.....so how can his answer be related to such?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 AM   #84
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
um, i gotta disagree with your first statement. in the comics, they root batman in realism as well...and keep superman as sci-fi....yet they interact very well all the time. while i'd agree i dont think we're gonna get a worlds finest film, i do think it can work.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #85
Fried Gold
Banned User

Quote:
So by that logic, it was it also Nolan speak for saying Hoffman would suck as the Penguin (when he quite clearly wouldn't).

Fried Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:18 AM   #86
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Gold
So by that logic, it was it also Nolan speak for saying Hoffman would suck as the Penguin (when he quite clearly wouldn't).
Exactly, he didnt mean it sucked at all, he didnt even comment on SR's quality and wasnt even asked about it.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:58 AM   #87
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

It might also be two different answers to two different questions using the same device: "strike out'.

I would say that there is no conceivable way that Singer's 'Superman' could work in Nolan's dark and gritty world of 'Batman'.

It would take a lot of tweaking of 'Singerman' to make the two function in the same script.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #88
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

As much as a lot of these nerdbombers would like to believe it, Nolan is not going to do a new Superman.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #89
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:

If box office had any say in how good a film was, then Batman Begins would be total shte compared to Spidermans 1 and 2... when in fact, BB is a better film than both combined... IMO.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #90
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56
If box office had any say in how good a film was, then Batman Begins would be total shte compared to Spidermans 1 and 2... when in fact, BB is a better film than both combined... IMO.
Ex-****ing-actly, this stupid argument about SR's box office 'proving' that Sr is a bad movie is complete and utter bull****. In that case Titanic is the best movie ever, period.

Spiderman 1 is not the best CB movie ever because it made the most money, just as SR isnt necessarily a bad one because its 'only' made $390 million WW.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #91
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I dont see why it would be that difficult to insert Superman into Batman's world, the whole story wouldn't take place in Gotham anyway, it would be on a global scale.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #92
saint sinner x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON
Ex-****ing-actly, this stupid argument about SR's box office 'proving' that Sr is a bad movie is complete and utter bull****. In that case Titanic is the best movie ever, period.

Spiderman 1 is not the best CB movie ever because it made the most money, just as SR isnt necessarily a bad one because its 'only' made $390 million WW.
Well if you want to get technical you need to look at the bigger picture. It was spiderman's first movie and it was good but not the best but Good operative word is FIRST. As for Batman and Superman they had there first, second, third films etc.... When spiderman the movie came out it was like if he was a new superhero on the market simply because no one has ever seen a full length live interpretation of him on the big screen. When I said B.O. speaks for itself I was implying that the more people who saw it are the people who liked it. Fantastic Four was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my entire existence but it had a good opening day because it was full of special effects and stupid jokes. Superman Returns the sequel will make more money because singer has stated he wants more action in it and let's face the facts action does call attention. THE DARK KNIGHT will also make more movie but yes I came in a gritty mood about superman returns because I didn't liked the movie as much as I did with Batman Begins or V for vendetta.
My point is Batman wouldn't work because they're both totally different, saying that a Batman and Superman movie would work well is like saying Spawn and Spiderman would work well onscreen.

"Now, longly hearts and Sunday School teachers like to say that the rain is the tears of God. But God doesn't bother to cry on Gotham. This rain? If it comes from Him...it's not His tears."
saint sinner x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #93
Monkey Chops
Side-Kick

Nolan is not having a dig at Superman Returns. Nolan's having a dig at the interviewer trying to think up a smart question when Nolan shot down his Dent question. You cannot seriously read anymore into it than that. It's not a Rorschach test.

Quote:
...besides the B.O. speaks for itself Nolan would not want the money making Batman to form an alliance with the non-money making Superman.
You do realise that Superman Returns has made more money that Batman Begins at the box office worldwide, right? Domestically, the difference is marginal.

Whether's it's been financially successful for Warners is another matter entirely, of course.

Compare:

Batman Begins

Superman Returns

I do agree that having them in the same movie is a bad idea, but not for financial reasons.

Last edited by Monkey Chops; 10-12-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Monkey Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #94
Thot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Respect for what? The comics? Because if you're just talking about "respect" then wasn't Singer's problem the fact that he had too much respect... for Donner's Superman?
Respect for the Superman that the fans and general public have come to treasure over the past 60+ years. The look, the characters, the city, the action, the philosophy, etc. Singer did it HIS way and he blew it.

Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #95
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Chops
You do realise that Superman Returns has made more money that Batman Begins at the box office worldwide, right? Domestically, the difference is marginal.

Whether's it's been financially successful for Warners is another matter entirely, of course.

The criteria for Warners to consider is how much SR cost as opposed to BB.

...AND how well SR will do post theaters. In other words, DVD sales as well as toy and how well the sequel does. There will be a sequel to both films but how the first impacted the general public will influence whether they go to see them. I'm betting that Nolan's Batman franchise will have more 'legs'. But then, that's just my opinion. It was definitely a more cohesive film and more respectful of source.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #96
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:

no that's Nolan speak for "No Comment". He's a Brit, they're born with the polite gene, even when they're swearing.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #97
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler
The criteria for Warners to consider is how much SR cost as opposed to BB.

...AND how well SR will do post theaters. In other words, DVD sales as well as toy and how well the sequel does. There will be a sequel to both films but how the first impacted the general public will influence whether they go to see them. I'm betting that Nolan's Batman franchise will have more 'legs'. But then, that's just my opinion. It was definitely a more cohesive film and more respectful of source.
Well we never really have had a complete definitive idea of what the budget was for SR, we know BB was around $150 million but with Sr we've been quoted anything from $180 to $280 million, so the movie may well already be profitable.

BUT DVD sales will be interesting to see.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #98
Monkey Chops
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen
He's a Brit, they're born with the polite gene, even when they're swearing.
Thanks for the compliment... I think.

Monkey Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #99
ScottishFogg
Narnian

so far, all of Nolan's films have been dark, gritty or just psychologically disturbing.

now. let's think. what superheroes does that make him a perfect match for?

is Superman REALLY in that list?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #100
Black Mamba
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage
Continue with Singer. I don't think Nolan's style lends itself to Superman's world.
Evidently, neither did Singer's style.

Black Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote