The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 11-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #1251
hippy fascist
Banned User

Default Re: Official Contest of Marvels II Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda
What version of squirrel girl are we talking, the off panel super uber capable of defeating the LT () or the person as is who has the normal squirrel powers and nothing else
The unbeatable one of course!

hippy fascist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #1252
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura Mazda
What version of squirrel girl are we talking, the off panel super uber capable of defeating the LT () or the person as is who has the normal squirrel powers and nothing else
Basically, with Squirrel Girl, it's how you debate her. If you want to take Slott's interpretation, go with it. But, it's up to you to convince voters to believe your argument.

Phaedrus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #1253
hippy fascist
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus45
BTW, Hippy, wait until you get to last Monday's episode. You think you like it now? You'll be addicted come episode #9.
oh dude, tell me about it. Watched 5-9 today. That scene at the end where syler got "captured"

Old 11-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #1254
Hellstormer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Basically, with Squirrel Girl, it's how you debate her. If you want to take Slott's interpretation, go with it. But, it's up to you to convince voters to believe your argument.
I need a moon phase and the time till night for my debate

R.I.P. Heath, you got the last laugh...
Hellstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #1255
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Just argue it as if Moon Knight was at his peak strength. You could always argue it both ways (day and night time). But these matches are really supposed to pit the characters against each other when their at their best. Otherwise, there isn't much point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #1256
Hellstormer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo
Just argue it as if Moon Knight was at his peak strength. You could always argue it both ways (day and night time). But these matches are really supposed to pit the characters against each other when their at their best. Otherwise, there isn't much point.
so full moon middle of the night? OK

Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #1257
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstormer
I don't mind it being at night for your match...but, I wouldn't take advantage of the situation with a full moon.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #1258
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy fascist
oh dude, tell me about it. Watched 5-9 today. That scene at the end where syler got "captured"
Nuts huh? The fun part is that next episode (following the one you just wtached), is flashback... so we don't find out what happened (from what I hear). I'm sure it'll still be good though.

And Hiro rocks I love his jiggly cheeks

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 PM   #1259
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstormer

You could describe the advantage a full moon would give. But just go with Knight's 'normal' power level in the fight.

Just use your best judgment, knowing that the voters will slaughter you if you go too far.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #1260
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman/Psylocke
I'd definitely be interested in finding out a bit more. Could you give me a link to one of the threads. The only thing that might put me off is a huge time commitment, especially if it's running at the same time as the COM.
I was in the first two seasons, and for a few weeks into the fourth season. It's amazingly awsome... but it is very time consuming if that's a concern. I loved it, but didn't have the time to keep up with it regretably. Heh, Jesse Bedlam was on my team over there... that's why I was so strong on debating him this week... I've done it before.

I had a few great matches over there that I loved. I specifically remember when in a match I had Ult. Captain America and someone else had I think Moon Knight, and I had a dog fight with his helecopter and an american jet. I lost that match though

Also, in season 1, a guy named X (haven't seen him around much lately) had the character "The Fury" from the old Captain Britain comics, and for an arc of Uncanny X-Men that was completely unbeatable... and after most the season of being undefeated, I was the first to find a way to defeat him with Cable. Good stuff

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 11-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #1261
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman/Psylocke
I'd definitely be interested in finding out a bit more. Could you give me a link to one of the threads. The only thing that might put me off is a huge time commitment, especially if it's running at the same time as the COM.
Technically, your writeups can be as long or short as you want. But just like CoM, longer writeups tend to do better. And you have to figure out how your team of five beats the other team of five sort of like we do here. The advantage is that they keep most of their memories from match to match, so you can sort of build relationships and interactions that persist through the season if you want.

I probably won't have the next season start until sometime next year, using these last weeks of this year to rebuild membership and discuss rules and other business.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #1262
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

How did last season go anyhow? And who won? (and on that note... who won season 3?)

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 11-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #1263
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Okay... question on Genis. I've never read anything with Captain Marvel, save the first issue or two of the New Thunderbolts... but by reading his bio.. his most recent form seems way too uber. He was aparently able to easily defeat Sentry (who is way too uber for this tourny) and had to die because he was so powerful that he was going to destroy the earth? That leads me to wonder if we should specify an earlier time for him (though having not read the book, I wouldn't know what it would be)

For those who have followed that book... am I reading too much into this, or do we need to do something about this quickly?

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 11-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #1264
Ahura Mazda
Side-Kick

I would like a rule put up that the opening argument has to be posted by Sunday night. I am going to be traveling most of Monday and Tuesday and do not want to end up losing because I did not get a chance to debate.

Not that it should make a difference this week...as one battle is me against myself and the other is squirrel girl which is painful.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #1265
Hellstormer
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't mind it being at night for your match...but, I wouldn't take advantage of the situation with a full moon.
Well I really need a boundary here,if its a full moon and the moon is directly above him (i.e. Midnight) he's on the power level of Colossus supposedly but through the comics they never kept an accurate scale.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #1266
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

First, the rules about debates won't be changed for this season. I understand the frustration of someone posting on Monday; but, it's basically a frustration we're going to have to deal with. We promised everyone that they would have a certain amount of time to give an opening debate, and some people are busy on weekends.

Second, with Moon Knight, it would be unfair to your opponent to give you a full moon. They already get a slight disadvantage, possibly, of having to fight at night; and, to make it totally one-sided in favor of your character would be very unfair. So, figure half-moon. As with the Zombie match-ups, fight starts at 12:00 am.

For Photon-Genis, we have him listed as the Thunderbolts version. I believe he should stay as he is, especially considering we have enough "possibly-uber" characters in this contest, like Sphinx. And, he can be defeated, for the simple fact that Atlas was able to knock him out and throw him in the river during an issue of Thunderbolts. I will point out this isn't the insane version, and it isn't the version from the end of Thunderbolts, where they had to kill him to save the universe. His power levels aren't at their peak; for if they were, he'd be driven insane again.

Hope that answers all the questions.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #1267
Harlekin
Business

Y'know, I was thinking about that whole 'characters are as they are when we start this thing'. I was wondering, barring any life changing events such as loss of power etc., we should "update" the characters when we start round 2. That's still long off, and by then, stuff like Civil War will be done. Some characters have gotten to show things during this time that we can't use. I think by the time of round 2, we should therefore "update". It would also make things less confusing at times on when the cutoff date is.

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #1268
Hellstormer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Second, with Moon Knight, it would be unfair to your opponent to give you a full moon. They already get a slight disadvantage, possibly, of having to fight at night; and, to make it totally one-sided in favor of your character would be very unfair. So, figure half-moon. As with the Zombie match-ups, fight starts at 12:00 am..
That's what I figured andput in my debate. Hell Moon Knight's so unbelieveavle awesome he could do it at noon with an arm tied to his back

Old 11-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #1269
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlekin
Y'know, I was thinking about that whole 'characters are as they are when we start this thing'. I was wondering, barring any life changing events such as loss of power etc., we should "update" the characters when we start round 2. That's still long off, and by then, stuff like Civil War will be done. Some characters have gotten to show things during this time that we can't use. I think by the time of round 2, we should therefore "update". It would also make things less confusing at times on when the cutoff date is.
The problem would be that if I knew in Round 2 what would happen in the future to a Marvel superhero in comics before the contest began, I would have changed my wishlist. Plus, after events like Annihilation and Civil War end, a character might suddenly become too "uber," and it could change the entire complex of the game.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #1270
hippy fascist
Banned User

Quote:
The problem would be that if I knew in Round 2 what would happen in the future to a Marvel superhero in comics before the contest began, I would have changed my wishlist. Plus, after events like Annihilation and Civil War end, a character might suddenly become too "uber," and it could change the entire complex of the game.
classic example being Nova...

Just out of interest if I use a certain spell with Nico in round one, am i prevented from using it in round two,three,etc. Since we basically have a rule of keeping the characters constant...

Old 11-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #1271
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

Quote:
classic example being Nova...

Just out of interest if I use a certain spell with Nico in round one, am i prevented from using it in round two,three,etc. Since we basically have a rule of keeping the characters constant...
Yes, if you use a spell in any round, it cannot be used again.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #1272
hippy fascist
Banned User

any of you guys got 360's? If so post your tag.

Mine is, surprisingly enough, hippy fascist!

Old 11-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #1273
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit
I was in the first two seasons, and for a few weeks into the fourth season. It's amazingly awsome... but it is very time consuming if that's a concern. I loved it, but didn't have the time to keep up with it regretably. Heh, Jesse Bedlam was on my team over there... that's why I was so strong on debating him this week... I've done it before.

I had a few great matches over there that I loved. I specifically remember when in a match I had Ult. Captain America and someone else had I think Moon Knight, and I had a dog fight with his helecopter and an american jet. I lost that match though

Also, in season 1, a guy named X (haven't seen him around much lately) had the character "The Fury" from the old Captain Britain comics, and for an arc of Uncanny X-Men that was completely unbeatable... and after most the season of being undefeated, I was the first to find a way to defeat him with Cable. Good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo
Technically, your writeups can be as long or short as you want. But just like CoM, longer writeups tend to do better. And you have to figure out how your team of five beats the other team of five sort of like we do here. The advantage is that they keep most of their memories from match to match, so you can sort of build relationships and interactions that persist through the season if you want.

I probably won't have the next season start until sometime next year, using these last weeks of this year to rebuild membership and discuss rules and other business.
Can you give me a link so that I can see it in action? It definitely sounds like something I would be interested in although I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have next year. I underestimated how much time the COM II would take, mainly due to the reading debates part, although it's calmed down a lot this week. Even if I do decide to take part I won't be able to commit to anything until nearer the time.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #1274
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:

I bought one two days ago. I haven't got a tag yet as I can't get Live to work.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #1275
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:

Dude, is Live free?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote