The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man

View Poll Results: Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?
Yes 239 62.89%
No 59 15.53%
It's too early to tell 82 21.58%
Voters: 380. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #176
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Default Re: Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

The problem is not everyone is going to be happy with who ever they picked, if Tom Cruise would have been picked, we would have a board full of people whinning that he's too short, and he's mentally unstable. Everyone had a idea in there head of what actor should be Tony Stark, I liked Jim Caveziel, but I am just as happy with Robert, he's a talented actor, pobably one of the most talented in Hollywood, if not for his personal demons he'd be a Oscar nominee more offen, give the guy a chance.
I remember people complaining about Hugh Jackman, he's too tall, Toby Magaire, and most recently Topher Grace, so its way to early to say he's a bad choice, he acts as though that he really wanted the role and with a actor of his talent is this excited about a role, his performance should be outstanding.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #177
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Well this is kinda the same route they went with with Batman 89' a former comedian who is kinda short in stature but has matured into a very good serious actor. I think it is a good choice an interesting choice indeed. Robert tells us a couple things just in the casting. While this will be a comic book movie it will be a in my opinion a very mature comic book movie. This is the first casting by Marvel of a lead that is very mature to begin with Robert is no kid. It is the compleate opposite of the route they went with Superman casting a big good looking unknown and I like it.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #178
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strikez!
Seriously, I disagree on all levels; but technically this is a matter to be discussed elsewhere. Not here.

Let's get back to Iron Man.
i agree....

robert as iron now has me excited..... before this i didnt give a crap about this movie because i dont like jon (as a director).. but now theres hope.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #179
Nightwing 52
Things change

Downey is a great choice. First and foremost, he is a very good actor. He was excellent in Chaplin, and portrayed him brilliantly. Downey, is one of the best actors out there. He instantly brings a level of professionalism and talent to any project, including this one.

Downey has played a murderous and psychotic criminal, a self indulgent Australian reporter, and Edward Murrow's fellow journalist Joe Wershba in Good Night and Good Luck. He has tremendous acting skill. It's guaranteed he'll breath life into Tony very well.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #180
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

he was good in Gothika......... who stared halle berry...... who played storm in x-men....

marvel is really starting to tie franchises together......

baby steps

Old 09-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #181
halfapple
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertevilla

i can totally see it. i voted yes
I voted No.

But.......after looking at this photo, and thinking about Roberts past bad history. It just might work.

If Robert can dishout his real life demons on screen (Tony's drinking issues) this could make it more believeable.

But the thought of Robert Downey Jr. becoming Tony Stark/ The Iron Man never ever never crossed my mind.

He has just done more comedian roles from what I've seen in the past.

He has his accomplishments as an actor and some people enjoy his movies, but I've never really cared for them or those movies.

I donno.... it might work.

Maybe everything that he has done in the past has just naturally prepared him for this role as The IronMan.

I hope Robert doesnt let us down - this could possibly just be what he was ment to become actor wise /shrug.

Tony Stark, The Iron Man.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #182
halfapple
Side-Kick

nt / accident lagg double post - sorry.

Last edited by halfapple; 09-30-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #183
Weapon M
Secret Master Assassin

I think he might be a great role for Iron Man seeing as how Tony Stark's character demands depth.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #184
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFimVENOM

There...

Lol, that's awesome!

Old 09-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #185
Namor
The Sub-Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
Downey is a great choice. First and foremost, he is a very good actor. He was excellent in Chaplin, and portrayed him brilliantly. Downey, is one of the best actors out there. He instantly brings a level of professionalism and talent to any project, including this one.

Downey has played a murderous and psychotic criminal, a self indulgent Australian reporter, and Edward Murrow's fellow journalist Joe Wershba in Good Night and Good Luck. He has tremendous acting skill. It's guaranteed he'll breath life into Tony very well.
TOTALLY AGREE.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #186
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Hells
Actually I think it will tap into a whole new audience that would have otherwise not even given superhero movies a chance.
Based on what? Downey isn't exactly a box office draw, and the arthouse crowd that would normally go to his pictures probably aren't going to be drawn to a comic book film. Even if they are it's not going to equal box office numbers.

The fact is the key demographic for this movie, is probably going to be turned off to this guy. This was a guy who was given opportunity after opportunity and failed. He was fired from Alley McBeal for crying out loud.

To me this is just like Terrell Owens going to the Cowboys, he might be the most talented guy out there, but he causes nothing but trouble.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 10-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #187
7Hells
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark
Downey isn't exactly a box office draw, and the arthouse crowd that would normally go to his pictures probably aren't going to be drawn to a comic book film.
Thats my point. Normally they wouldnt go and see a comic book film but they will because he is in it. And if they like it they might check out the other ones. We can only hope they check out the right "other" ones

Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #188
Hellrider
Side-Kick

Robert Downey jr. is a great actor, versitile, and imaginative. Better a great name actor, then a good unknown actor. So far it is a yes from me.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:10 AM   #189
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

I for one am rather satisfied that we won't get a superhero that is in his late twenties, has a greek god's physique and a squeaky clean personality. This movie could introduce a whole new breed of superhero, but it must have a strong script and a good plot to rely on. Downey's acting chops are not gonna cut it.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:12 AM   #190
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

edit

Last edited by LadyVader; 10-01-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #191
ObakeTora
Me llamo Tigre Fantasma!

well he does have experience drinking and doing drugs. Funny he was the choice in the back of my mind, but after getting smacked up by Mike Tyson in that film I wonder if he has the same resolve as the real Tony to handle himself in a fight. I think its too early to tell, but hell be fine. Now on to the Punisher boards.

https://www.change.org/p/sony-collab...t_created=true
Old 10-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #192
porchmonkey408
Side-Kick

Dude. I never thought of Downey, Jr. till now. They just have to give him glasses and slick hair and he'd be perfect.

Amazing actor as well.

CHAPLIN owns.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #193
god-of-the-mind

The guy just isn't stark for me. i liked chaplin and he's been in some good stuff, but he just doesn't seem suited for the role. yes, casting could have been worse, and the tom cruise comment was harsh. i just wanted someone that is tony stark as bale is batman or as much tom jane is the punisher. i don't need any outstanding stats like oscar nominations or golden globes, just iron man.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #194
Substance D
Side-Kick

after seeing all the manips with him with a goatee, he'd make a perfect doctor strange.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #195
Uncanny
Side-Kick

Robert Downey Jr does not look or seem like a lady man, like Tony is in the comics. Tony should be play by someone in there early 30s. As Iron Man, can Robert Downey Jr be cool, fun, and hip for the young people of today who go the the movies?

Old 10-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #196
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substance D
after seeing all the manips with him with a goatee, he'd make a perfect doctor strange.

I always thought Johnny Depp was better suited for Strange.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #197
eXperiment
...gone wrong.

he'll be great, they wouldn't have picked him if he wasn't

Old 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #198
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

No. Robert Downey Jr. is too old, too ugly, has a crappy voice... ugh. He's SUCH a bad choice... this is terrible.

I would have taken ANYONE, but not this Hollywood-ized joke of an actor with a terrible record.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #199
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace
No. Robert Downey Jr. is too old, too ugly, has a crappy voice... ugh. He's SUCH a bad choice... this is terrible.

I would have taken ANYONE, but not this Hollywood-ized joke of an actor with a terrible record.
1. Too old? Not really. Age doesn't really matter its HOW OLD YOU LOOK. Downey can still pass for a guy in his 30's on film.

2. Too ugly? See sig.

3. Crappy voice? How?? Didn't know Tony Stark had a specific voice.

Joke of an actor?? Terrible record?? As in his movie record or what he has done in his life? If I remember correctly he was an Academy Award Nominee for Best Actor in Chaplin and also has won a Golden Globe award. This is bad how?? And if your referring to his personal life it mirrors Tony Starks who himself battles with addiction.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #200
Kilva

Very bad cast, I don't like Robert Downey Jr... I don't pay money in a cinema to see this poor actor... Tony Stark can't be played for this actor... he don't have the necessary glamour to be a multmillionarie playboy..... is this election a way to make the movie more cheap? Sure that a lot of young and unknow actors can make a great job....

As you can see i'm very angry.....

Closed Thread