"My Hero!"
lol..................

Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #103
mego joe
Side-Kick

Default Re: What to do with Richard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garzo View Post
Actually, I thought Singer had planned with this story to "free" Superman of the constraints of a relationship with Lois, at least that was what I thought before seeing the film and discovering that they now have a child.
I really liked the idea of a single Superman without the love angle, without having to be with Lois, married or otherwise -- I think the whole Clark and Lois relationship is pretty boring and limits the Superman story.
Keeping Clark and Lois as competitive colleagues seemed to me more fun, like in the old George Reeves series. I think the comics have suffered from Clark and Lois being married over the past decade (I actually thought this would be fixed by the recent Crisis, but no luck).
I like the idea of Lois being with someone else, even if it's with Supe's child. Not all relationships are meant to be and the whole Lois and Clark romance is, in the end, a direct result of the corny Lois and Clark TV show from the early '90s and that's no real reason for Singer or any other filmmaker to follow that continuity.
It really shows how fans can be so easily manipulated -- a TV series-comic tie-in has, in the past decade, become canon in the Superman mythos. Why?
Does Luthoer now have to be a young good-looking guy who used to be Clark's best friend from Smallville? Of course not.
Time to re-write the canon, I say!
If you recall, it was the comic stories that came first, then the Lois and Clark TV show. THey were already an item and he proposed to her in Superman No. 50, cover dated December 1990, which would have hit the stands in about September 1990- three years before the first episode of "Lois and Clark" aired in September of 1993.

And the bit about Luthor being a friend of Clark's from Smallville was cannon for more years in the comics rather than the way it was in the comics after the 1986 revamp which placed Luthor as older and a businessman in Metropolis who did not grow up in Smallville.

Last edited by mego joe; 04-11-2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added word
mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #104
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter rider View Post
Richard to me was the most likable and sympathetic character in SR,he makes the romance between Lois and Clark/Superman impossible to root for.

In the sequel what should they do with the character ?

Turning him evil will be hard and against the first movie's characterization

Killing him would seem a cop out

Keeping him alive and in the same role means the romance arc can't move on

Having him find out Jason is Superman's and trying to compete with him by getting power(i.e becoming Metallo) makes him even more symapthetic
I like Richard too and he is portrayed as a stand-up guy..... a lot more than how Superman is portrayed, and that's disappointing to me. I wish Singer would have nevered introduced Richard in such a role in the first place..... but that hines-sight now.

Given that Richard is a stand-up guy, I would hope that reach the realization that Lois is deeply in love with Superman and never stop loving him and just decide to bow out of his relationship with her, so she can be with the one she truely loves. Richard wanting to see Lois happy. I would hope Singer would not kill him, or make him evil... or anything of the such.... the way Singer wrote Richard, it would not be in his character if he was to do that.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #105
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
Given that Richard is a stand-up guy, I would hope that reach the realization that Lois is deeply in love with Superman and never stop loving him and just decide to bow out of his relationship with her, so she can be with the one she truely loves. Richard wanting to see Lois happy. I would hope Singer would not kill him, or make him evil... or anything of the such.... the way Singer wrote Richard, it would not be in his character if he was to do that.
I think the same. Richard would do that. I'm just curious about him knowing about Jason's actual father.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 AM   #106
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Richard should become a villain. Metallo would be great for him. Like a great greek tragedy. He suffers an accident in a plane and almost dies to a pont that Lex Luthor remakes him as a robot powered by Kryptonite. However, he is still not a villain. He uses this newfond powers for good and heres what makes him become a villain: He loses the sense of touch because he is dead in a sense. So he cant feel his son`s hand or a kiss from Lois. This makes him crazy and after Luthor and finally stopped by Superman in the end. Add Brainiac as a Kryptonian threat. In the end, Metallo helps Superman to destroy Brainiac and dies with glory. Good end for the character.

This solves every problem of SR. Now Superman can have the woman he loves and raise his son.

Why i want this? Because i don`t want no character to steal the show in a Superman movie. Richard in SR was more heroic than Superman and that to me is something i really didn`t want to see.

Last edited by SuperDaniel; 04-17-2007 at 01:54 AM.
SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 AM   #107
Morgoth
Side-Kick

Richard and the kid were just horrible, it's time for a revamp!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #108
El Payaso
Banned User

Why were they horrible?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #109
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

Show Richard as a flawed person. Then you stop rooting for him. Then you stop wanting him to remain with Lois. You don't have to make him over the top Evil. You don't have to turn him into Metallo, or have him killed off in the storyline. Just show him as imperfect... maybe he's having an affair on the side. Maybe he finds out Jason is Superman's son, and he begins resenting the child for this reason, perhaps that resentment turns to spite... then we se an entirely new dimension to his character.. we go from selfless, unconditional, forgiving, Richard.. to something else entirely.

You haven't killed him, you haven't turned him into a supervillain. you've added a secondary level antagonist to the storyline in much the same way Harry Osborne serves that role in the Spiderman Franchise....

Old 04-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #110
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

I agree totally, but apparently that won't happen.

Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #111
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

I think the kid is going to be the reason Richard leaves.

If the kids powers go out of control, you're are going to need his real father there to teach him how to use his powers. ( Jason's heat vision almost sets Richard on fire) Richard will want to stay, but Lois will want to break it off to protect him from being hurt by Jason's powers( particularly because it's not fair to Richard since Jason's not his son). Clark should reveal his ID as appreciation to Richard for what he has done. Knowing that Clark is Supes will give Richard the realization that Supes is going to be there for Jason.

TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #112
Zor-El
Side-Kick

I'm not a big fan of the "Richard turns evil" theory, but I watched the movie the other night and when it got the the part on the yacht, i looked it up in the script and Lois had a line that said "Don't blame me, this is Lex Luthor's mess!" Now, I'm glad they cut that line, but it made me think, 'how would Richard react if he came face to face with Luthor in the sequel?' And I came up with a scene in my head where Richard confronts Lex and accuses him of trying to kill his family; his fiance... his son. And then Lex tells Richard the truth about Jason. It could go any which way from there. Richard would be emotionally crushed ...maybe to the point that he becomes a bad guy but i wouldn't really buy that. It could possibly only strengthen his resolve to foil whatever plot the villains would already have going-- maybe he'd go down in a blaze of glory, saving the day etc. etc. you get the idea...
just a thought

Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #113
dpm07
Hiking Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Well stated, and I completely agree.

It's time for a reboot of Superman and a boot to Singer out the door, and put someone in who can deliver a great story with a complement of great action. Let's get back to Superman and get away from the whole Superson scene.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #114
El Payaso
Banned User

edit

Last edited by El Payaso; 04-30-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #115
Garzo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
According to you, you want clark to abandon his responsibilites as a father, and ignore his love for Lois Lane, yea your and idiot. Thier are many other things idiotic about your post to.
Normally I'd respond to someone's reaction to one of my posts, but I really don't see any possibility of intelligent discussion with the thoughtless and inarticulate child who wrote this.

Garzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #116
ruhanv
Side-Kick

I would do the following:

- Richard finds out the son is Superman's but doesn't tell anyone he knows. It's an internal struggle.

- Superman is in a fight with supervillian.

- Superman is struck down and about to die.

- Richard intervenes to save Superman and dies as a result

- The movie ends with Richard as a hero but out of the picture.

- Final scene is Richard's funeral where Lois begins to suspect that Clark is Supes.

ruhanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #117
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Default Anyone thinks Richard will be an enemy, in any future superman movies?

he guys,
we all know that Richard right now, in SR is caught in a tough position, now that Supes is back in town. Do you think he will just die off in future movies or will he be casted as the enemy? Any thoughts? And please keep it civil. Thanks

Last edited by manofsteel4life; 06-23-2007 at 05:10 PM.
manofsteel4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #118
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Anyone thinks Richard will be an enemy, in any future superman movies?

Hopefully not. He was the only three dimensional character in the movie. Turning him into some two-bit villian would be a bad move.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #119
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone thinks Richard will be an enemy, in any future superman movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hopefully not. He was the only three dimensional character in the movie. Turning him into some two-bit villian would be a bad move.
so what do you think they'll do with him then?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #120
GreenKToo
In the fire

I think he will die saving jason from the villain...

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #121
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I think he will die saving jason from the villain...
i was thinking that also...or maybe you think he would join lex and co?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #122
GreenKToo
In the fire

I cant see that, unless he was forced...For instance, maybe Lex kidnappes jason, orders richard to trick superman in order to save jasons life, then lex's partner (brainiac) ambushes superman when he and richard arrive..
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
i was thinking that also...or maybe you think he would join lex and co?

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #123
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I cant see that, unless he was forced...For instance, maybe Lex kidnappes jason, orders richard to trick superman in order to save jasons life, then lex's partner (brainiac) ambushes superman when he and richard arrive..
that could happen....so you dont think his drive to be evil will be caused on his own or jealousy?

Old 06-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #124
pjspider1C
Side-Kick

No. That'd be dumb.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #125
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjspider1C View Post
No. That'd be dumb.
now what would be dumb? Him turning evil or the way he would turn evil...be more specific please