Advanced Dark
Banned User

Cool Marvel/Guiding Light Crossover

Quote:
MARVEL TEAMS-UP WITH "GUIDING LIGHT" FOR FIRST COMICS-SOAPS CROSSOVER
by CBR News Team, Editor
Posted: October 9, 2006
Official Press Release
Returns from the dead. Evil twins. Secret from the past. Super-powers. These are all staples of the comic book world and now the soap opera world, too! Wait, even the super-powers, you ask? Why yes, and Marvel has partnered with the daytime drama Guiding Light to prove it!
In the first-ever comic-soap crossover, Marvel's mightiest heroes (and villains) meet some of daytime drama's steamiest characters. The Avengers and their deadly foes descend on Guiding Light's city of Springfield to determine if a new super-powered being is friend or foe! Appearing in comics as an 8-page back-up beginning 10/26 and written by soap-and-comic scribe Jim McCann, this adventure will actually be the second appearance of this new super-powered character. The debut and origin of Springfield’s first costumed crime-fighter will be told on air on the November 1st episode of Guiding Light. As an added bonus, the episode will feature many “Easter eggs” for sharp-eyed Marvel fans, so be on the lookout!
This crossover represents a unique partnership between Marvel, and Procter & Gamble Productions, Inc (PGP), the producers of Guiding Light. As fans will recall, Storm’s wedding dress, featured in her wedding to T’Challa in Black Panther #18, was designed by Guiding Light costume designer Shawn Dudley. Both Marvel and PGP are thrilled about this opportunity for audience cross-pollination, especially Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada. “This is just one more way that we’re trying to reach out beyond our usual audience in an effort to expose those who don’t know anything about the greatness of comics and hopefully come back with a few new converts,” he says. “And hopefully some of our fans will find themselves with a new habit as well- Guiding Light!”

Another great aspect of this partnership is that Guiding Light and Marvel will be cross promoting each other to help drive fans not only to watch the episode but also to pick up one of the comics in a local comic shop. In addition to on-air promotions at the end of Guiding Light, Marvel.com will feature a page dedicated to helping Guiding Light fans find a retailer near them and know which titles feature this unique back-up feature. As an added bonus, this backup is added at no extra charge to the regular price of the issue. See the full list of titles below, and be sure to tune in on November 1st to see Guiding Light on CBS Daytime.!
Be sure to visit both Guiding Light’s website at www.cbs.com/daytime/gl as well as www.marvel.com for more information of this innovative crossover. Check your local listings for Guiding Light airtimes and channels, and to find a comics shop near you call 1-888-COMICBOOK.

Titles the crossover will appear in:
10/25
CIVIL WAR: CHOOSING SIDES
SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE 11
MARVEL SELECT FLIP MAGAZINE 18
MARVEL TALES FLIP MAGAZINE 17
11/1
MARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN 21
SPIDER-MAN AND POWER PACK 1
MARVEL ADVENTURES FLIP MAGAZINE 18
MARVEL HEROES FLIP MAGAZINE 18
11/8
AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL 2
FRANKLIN RICHARDS: HAPPY FRANKSGIVING!
MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR 18
11/15
ULTIMATE MARVEL FLIP MAGAZINE 19
ULTIMATE TALES FLIP MAGAZINE 19
Hmmm. Strange huh?

Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=8569

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
Tempest19
Banned User

Default Re: Marvel/Guiding Light Crossover

Definitely. Wow.

Tempest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

this HAS TO be a gag or cbs is already doing its take on nbc's :heroes with marvels help since cbs was the network that originally aired the marvel 80's live tvshowsthe amazing spider-man,the incredible hulk] and tv movies[captain america dr strangeits come full circle

Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Lurk
Side-Kick

Yikes, I used to watch Guiding Light and stopped when it got too cornball. Too bad since its the longest running soap on tv; it started on the radio in the thirties. It used to be really good

/.|.\

__.__.
..-' .-.-.-.`-..
:.` `.` `.` `.:.
\
___\__/___/
`
\`\ Y /'/'
`|'
()
--[]--
//
\\
``
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

neat..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
tzarinna
С новым годом!

I've never watched this soap but I am quite intrigued.

tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: Marvel/Guiding Light Crossover

....wah...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Whats next X-men vs golden girls. Not that I have anything wrong with that I for one would read it in a heart beat.

deathshead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
GoldenAgeHero
Banned User

wow and quesada has the balls to say dc is corporate driven. jeez.

GoldenAgeHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
The Question

I remember when Marvel had indi cred. I miss the indi cred.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 AM   #11
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question
I remember when Marvel had indi cred. I miss the indi cred.
??/

Old 10-11-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27
??/
Marvel was origionally working out of a few rented out offices with one secretary, two writers, and two artists. They were pretty indi. They just didn't seem that way because of Lee and Kirby's output.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #13
Roughneck
Side-Kick

Oh My Good ****ing Sweet Lord.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAgeHero
wow and quesada has the balls to say dc is corporate driven. jeez.
word for word, EXACTLY what I was going to say.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Advanced Dark
Banned User

It's not the same world anymore as it was in the 60's when there was no real competition and there weren't as many entertainment outlets like the internet, video games, etc...Marvel has to expose these characters and expand the demographic of it's fans to all age brackets, and genders. The good thing is it's at the level now where it can make smaller cult films that don't appeal to everyone, and the big tentpole pics. This is just a way to create awarness for the characters so when the movies come out in the years to come they're more recognizeable to new generations and all demographics. Nothing's wrong with that. It's not like they stopped making movies and comics and they're just doing this.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

will this be for just one episode or a continuing storyline?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #17
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Cool Re: Marvel/Guiding Light Crossover

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/ar...=5070&emc=eta1

Quote:
Pulpy TV and Soapy Comics Find a Lot to Agree On
Robert Milazzo/PGP
Beth Ehlers, as Harley Davidson Cooper, becomes a superhero who’s named after her series, “Guiding Light.”

By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES

Published: October 31, 2006
Comic books and soap operas have a lot in common: never-ending stories, characters with complex histories and a preponderance of long-lost relatives (evil twins or otherwise). Now they will share a superhero.
Skip to next paragraph Readers’ Opinions

Forum: Television

Marvel Comics
The Guiding Light as she appears in a Marvel comic book.

“Guiding Light” and Marvel Comics have teamed up for an episode of this long-running series, to be shown at 10 a.m. tomorrow on CBS. In the episode, “She’s a Marvel,” Beth Ehlers, as Harley Davidson Cooper, one of the show’s main characters, has an accident that gives her superpowers. To commemorate the occasion, Marvel has produced an eight-page comic.
Ellen Wheeler, the executive producer of “Guiding Light,” said the idea for a collaboration came from another Marvel comic book milestone: the July wedding of the Black Panther and Storm, an X-Men character, whose dress was conceived by Shawn Dudley, the costume designer for “Guiding Light.” After that, it was simple: “Let’s call them to see if there’s anything to talk about,” Ms. Wheeler said.
The decision was made to use one of Wednesday’s “Into the Light” episodes, which were introduced in January as a way to focus on particular characters or plots in the fictional city of Springfield, to tell the story. It certainly helped that David Kreizman, the head writer of “Guiding Light,” is a longtime comics fan.
“I went through a two-year phase of wearing only superhero T-shirts,” he said.
Ms. Wheeler wryly remarked, “That was only last year.”
“It’s amazing how much the genres have in common,” she said, including serial storylines and generations of dedicated fans. “Guiding Light,” a Procter & Gamble production, and Marvel also have a lot of material to produce: about 250 episodes of the soap each year and more than 50 continuing or short-term comic book series each month.
“We both move very fast,” Mr. Kreiszman said. “That was an advantage.”
Those involved said the project had been an opportunity for fun, not a marketing scheme. “We didn’t think of it as a way to get a bunch of Marvel fans to watch the show,” Ms. Wheeler said. The super-power aspect of the story was also not a big stretch for the show. Mr. Kreizman and Ms. Wheeler said past plot developments had included a character’s being cloned and a painting that transported Springfield residents back in time.
“In my mind, we made an episode of ‘Superman’ from the ’50s, with the kitsch and the fun,” Ms. Wheeler said. Working on the episode, however, was a bit stressful for some of the players involved.
“We were starting from zero,” said Mr. Dudley, the costume designer. He and Alyson Hui, the associate designer, came up with several costumes, which he described as ranging from outer space to show girl to Cirque du Soleil.
Ultimately, Mr. Dudley wanted the outfit to reflect the character, called the Guiding Light, whom he described as a “hip and sporty” mother, so he incorporated a hoodie and cargo shorts and exposed her abs.
“I have a very good relationship with our costume designer,” Ms. Ehlers said. The exposed skin did not bother her. “It’s daytime television; I take my clothes off all the time,” she said.
The episode is a mix of slapstick (a thief is shocked by the heroine, and his hair stands on end) and drama (are the powers worth possibly losing her husband?). Transitions between scenes feature comic book panels by Alex Chung.
Mr. Chung is also the artist of “A New Light,” the eight-page story from Marvel that is commemorating the collaboration. The story will be included in several Marvel titles, arriving last week, today and on Nov. 8.
The script for “A New Light” was a balancing act, said Jim McCann, the writer of the comic. He said he had to give readers enough information about “Guiding Light” characters and also fill them in on Marvel superheroes and villains.
“I tried to make it as universal and as accessible as possible for both sides,” Mr. McCann said. “I threw in a couple of little things for ‘Guiding Light’ fans, so they would know I really did my homework on their show.”
The Marvel characters were more familiar, but Mr. McCann still chose heroes who have the most recognition, including Spider-Man, Wolverine and Iron Man, who all have appeared in films or cartoons. Mr. McCann said he had been particularly excited about blowing up a Quinjet, the vehicle that transports the Avengers, and writing the sound effects for Wolverine’s unleashing his claws and Spider-Man’s shooting his webs. He said, “I geeked out typing SNIKT and THWIP.”

Last edited by Advanced Dark; 10-31-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Whoever came up this idea needs to be shot...immediately.

The Guiding Light preview in Civil War: Choosing Sides was dumb as hell. This is going to go down like the NFL Superpro

Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #19
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

And Quesada, you've done some great stuff for Marvel, but it's time to step down.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #20
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

What's up with her eyes? It's like she doesn't have pupils. O_o

Henchman for Shadaloo
Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #21
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

so its a post halloween fatasy episode eh? i'll tape it and check it out