The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: what other colors of kryptonite should we see?
Red- in the comics, random effects; in "Smallville", makes Clark nasty 14 48.28%
Gold- removes his powers (permanently?) 3 10.34%
Blue- poisons Bizarro only (so far) 4 13.79%
Silver- in "smallville", causes paranoid delusions 3 10.34%
Other, new color- 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #51
Cyrusbales
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else sick of "kryptonite" used as a weapon against Superman?

In SR, luthor has a WHOLE ISLAND OF KRYPTONITE, yet wastes that opportunity to DEFINATELY KILL superman, he's supposed to be an evil genius, he's clearly an idiot!!!!

Cyrusbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #52
elvislennon2005
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else sick of "kryptonite" used as a weapon against Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666
normal rock kryptonite was also used in superman 3 - when Richard Pryor gives Superman as a present...

I'm not sure if it was used in Superman 4....

Kryptonite running inside Metallo or in Doomsday's blood is definitely more creative than usual, but it's still old.

It doesn't matter that kryptonite is one of Superman's weaknesses. Does every other superhero in the Marvel or DC universe always have a weakness? No, they don't - that's why you pit Super-strength superheros versus super-strength villains. It's not about a fight of winning versus losing. It's about the entertainment factor of watching huge fighting bouts - wrecking cities, smashing through buildings and streets, getting uppercutted into space, etc. a la final fight between Neo and Agent Smith in Matrix Revolutions. A person loses a fight due to being tricked, not usually being overpowered as in most hero/villain action movies.

Using Lois or the son as bait to pee off Superman is definitely good too - but any villain can do that - whether it be Luthor or Darkseid...If they are going to use kryptonite again, the villain should inject some liquid form of kryptonite into Lois or the son, so that Superman can't go near his loved ones, and just kick some villain ass already...

The Kryptonite that was in Superman 3 was not normal. If you remember it was man made and plus there was a unknown element and Russ (Richard Pryor) added Tar to that unknown element. He gave it to Superman and the Kryptonite did not make him weak. Instead with the tar it poison his blood and made him into a bad guy. So in view that is not normal. The only time that normal kryptonite (meaning making Superman weak) was in Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns. Normal Kryptonite was not use in 2, 3, and 4.

Next, I am not sick of Kryptonite. Superman has to have a weakness beside of Magic. I like how Lex made a island out of Kryptonite. I don't think that was done in the comics. If it has then I don't remember that happening.

JamalYIgle is 100% correct on the topics of Metallo and Parasite. There was only a 2 year stretch of metallo not using Kryptonite. I would like The Question to provide the comics from the supposelly 10 stretch. I have all the Superman comics from the 90s and he had Kryptonite most of the time in them. Only a two year time is when he didn't have it. Next, Parasite has to touch someone to temporarily absorb the energy and knowledge of whoever he touches. Again, I have nearly all the comics of the Parasite that was introduce witht he alter ego of Rudy Jones. I have never seen Superman use his heat vison and Parasite then having them. When he touch Superman he gets all of Superman's abilites. Parasite is like a walking Kryptonite for Superman. It takes a while for Superman to get his strength back. Even though he has gone toe to toe with Parasite he not at 100% because Parasite got some of the strength.

I know of no reason,
Why the gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot.
elvislennon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #53
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: Is anyone else sick of "kryptonite" used as a weapon against Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle
Actually he lost it in 1994 and Umderworld unleashed happened in 1996. He was being powered by Kryptonite.
I'm pretty sure he went far longer without Kryptonite.

Quote:
No he does have to have physical contact to drain them, the only thing he can drain at a distance is energy.
And he drains energy from people.

Quote:
And even then when it happened all it did was mutate him because Superman used him to drain off his own excess solar energy buildup.it doesn't matter since that version is dead anyway.
Not anymore. He came back a few months ago.

Quote:
Dude, I work for DC. I've got the comics and the info at a phone call away to Eddie Berganza and Matt Idelson.I know what i'm talking about.
No, you don't, aparantly.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #54
superbaby
Banned User

SICK TO DEATH!!!

but what to do, we got a creativeless director...

superbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #55
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question
I'm pretty sure he went far longer without Kryptonite.

And he drains energy from people.

Not anymore. He came back a few months ago.

No, you don't, aparantly.
Rudy Jones is dead, the Parasite that's in JLA# 3 is new. Unless your talking about All Star Superman.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
JamalYIgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #56
The Question

Quote:
Rudy Jones is dead, the Parasite that's in JLA# 3 is new. Unless your talking about All Star Superman.
There's been nothing to suggest that that isn't Rudy, and the fact that he looks alot like Rudy suggests it is.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #57
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's been nothing to suggest that that isn't Rudy, and the fact that he looks alot like Rudy suggests it is.
The fact that I A) work for DC Comics B) Asked the editor Eddie Berganza about 2 minutes ago if it was Rudy Jones and he said no, Makes it a fact.
look, I know you want to be "right", to have some sort of internet victory. However, I have access to information that you don't. I have contact with writers,artist and editors that you don't. So can we just call it a wash? This is getting repetitive.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.

Last edited by JamalYIgle; 11-01-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #58
HUMAN
Side-Kick

I don't mind Kryptonite, but I wish they would bring in some other versions of it. Maybe Red Kryptonite on the same track with Smallville's or Gold Kryptonite that takes away his powers. That would be an interesting pickle for Superman to work his way out of.

The world will still have trust issues with Superman in the next one sense he's been gone for so long, so having him turn bad suddenly (due to Red K) would be an interesting plot device.

"He Returned Changed"

HUMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #59
November Rain
Single Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrusbales
In SR, luthor has a WHOLE ISLAND OF KRYPTONITE, yet wastes that opportunity to DEFINATELY KILL superman, he's supposed to be an evil genius, he's clearly an idiot!!!!
he stabbed him and threw him to his doom, off a cliff into freezing water, if lois wasn't there, he would be dead

what more do you want from luthor

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #60
November Rain
Single Mother

I think the kryptonite overuse in media is actually apparent in smallville and it is having an effect on what is seen on the big screen.

saying this though, supes having a force to be reckoned with is also a decent idea.

A parasite usage may draw parallels to the hulk and his absorbing dad (but that just goes to show that a scenario of that case would work to some degree).

the problem with have an equal in strength based on how strong we saw supes in return is simply that vast regions of earth simply wouldn't be enough to be a sufficient battle ground. it couldn't fit around a cosy street like it did in supes 2, they need vasts amount of desert or uninhabited areas to duel. and i don't think the earth holds enough of it.

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #61
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMAN
I don't mind Kryptonite, but I wish they would bring in some other versions of it. Maybe Red Kryptonite on the same track with Smallville's or Gold Kryptonite that takes away his powers. That would be an interesting pickle for Superman to work his way out of.

The world will still have trust issues with Superman in the next one sense he's been gone for so long, so having him turn bad suddenly (due to Red K) would be an interesting plot device.

"He Returned Changed"
Again "Smallville" is to blame........Red K's effect on Superman is not to make him a bad boy Superman. Red K's effect on Superman varies each time he suffers exposure and the effect never repeats itself. The effect can be minor or major; reasonable or ridiculous.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #62
toddly6666
Banned User

it's time to see a planet-hopping, bumping into asteroids,super brawl between Superman and a Superpowered villain emphasizing the vastness of space and the smallness of the earth. With CGI and blue screen technology, it won't cost that much more than the usual amount hollywood wastes to have them brawl with each other from the earth, to the moon, to outerspace, to the sun, to a different galaxy or whatever. I'm thinking the type of climactic fight at the end of BLADE 2 or MATRIX REVOLUTIONS, but only with a different background (such as space, sun, asteroids, planets). What the heck cost so much in Superman Returns - the cape? For the amount they spent, they could have filmed a whole universe epic.

It's a total shame that they have to resort to always going back to the evil genius businessman and his scary green rock - it's just so campy/mod/kitsch/austin powers.

toddly6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #63
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrusbales
Creatures from all around the universe have been unsuccesfully trying to kill Superman for almost 70 years.....so apparently the universe is composed of evil idiots then.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #64
The Question

Quote:
The fact that I A) work for DC Comics B) Asked the editor Eddie Berganza about 2 minutes ago if it was Rudy Jones and he said no, Makes it a fact.
Except that I A) have no reason to actually believe that you work for DC, and B) know that you are wrong about The Parasite's powers.

Quote:
look, I know you want to be "right", to have some sort of internet victory. However, I have access to information that you don't. I have contact with writers,artist and editors that you don't. So can we just call it a wash? This is getting repetitive.
How do I know you're not bull****ing me?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #65
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Uh...he does work for DC....he's telling the truth.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #66
elvislennon2005
Side-Kick

I got in touch with a few of my sources who knows people who work for DC and from what I gather JamalYIgle actually works for DC. I had to get through to some of my sources that I haven't use in a while but he is telling the truth. C. Lee who is a moderator for this forum has just said that he works for DC. I think if anyone would know it would be him since he made this forum.

I know of no reason,
Should ever be forgot.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #67
The Question

Alright then. Still, working for DC doesn't mean you know more about continuity.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #68
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Alright then. Still, working for DC doesn't mean you know more about continuity.
Perhaps, but actually owning the issues and an ability to talk to the people who did the work does.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #69
elvislennon2005
Side-Kick

Yes, it does. It works better when someone who has all of the 90s books and reads them often that they know some of the characters that he is saying that had been without kryptonite for 10 years but actually it was about 2.

I know of no reason,
Should ever be forgot.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #70
Eros
Side-Kick

Since superman cannot be hurt buy anyone or anything, and Kryptonite is the only thing that can stop him, i dun see the problem. oh buy the way anyone with any knowledge of anything ,would know a space fight would be like a silent movie.

Eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #71
The Question

Quote:
Perhaps, but actually owning the issues and an ability to talk to the people who did the work does.
I'm still in disagreement with you about The Parasite's powers, but whatever. Back to the point: Kryptonite is not necessairy for Superman's villains to be threats. Parasite doesn't need it, Bizarro doesn't need it, Brainiac doesn't need it, even Metallo, who is supposed to be Superman's equal in strength, doesn't really need it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #72
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm still in disagreement with you about The Parasite's powers, but whatever. Back to the point: Kryptonite is not necessairy for Superman's villains to be threats. Parasite doesn't need it, Bizarro doesn't need it, Brainiac doesn't need it, even Metallo, who is supposed to be Superman's equal in strength, doesn't really need it.
I think its the fact all of superman rogues gallery save for Lex Luthor and Brainiac sucks superemly.

Eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #73
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros
I think its the fact all of superman rogues gallery save for Lex Luthor and Brainiac sucks superemly.
No, they don't. They're potentially cool, but many writers fail to see said potential.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #74
batman7289
Banned User

prehaps they use kyrponite to kill supes cause thats the only thing that can

batman7289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #75
War Lord
Banned User

This is why, when the next Superman movie is made, they shouldn't use Kryptonite at all.

Superman has a third weakness and it's his regard for human life.

The right villain can hold Superman at bay just by threatening lives in a way that Superman can't prevent.

War Lord is offline   Reply With Quote