The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: what other colors of kryptonite should we see?
Red- in the comics, random effects; in "Smallville", makes Clark nasty 14 48.28%
Gold- removes his powers (permanently?) 3 10.34%
Blue- poisons Bizarro only (so far) 4 13.79%
Silver- in "smallville", causes paranoid delusions 3 10.34%
Other, new color- 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #76
elvislennon2005
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else sick of "kryptonite" used as a weapon against Superman?

I think that has been done. Remember Superman II when Zod is using his heat vison to make the car expode. Well, Superman took care of that. Then, He flew to the FOS to get the villians away from as many people as possible. They only brought two people - Lex and Lois. Even though he doesn't like Lex he still had to take care of the matter with ease. And he did. He use Lex because he knew that Lex might tell the villians what he is going to do but it backfire. So that is really a weakness when he can think of a way to get out of it. He has many times in the comic books.

I know of no reason,
Why the gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot.
elvislennon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #77
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is anyone else sick of "kryptonite" used as a weapon against Superman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrusbales
In SR, luthor has a WHOLE ISLAND OF KRYPTONITE, yet wastes that opportunity to DEFINATELY KILL superman, he's supposed to be an evil genius, he's clearly an idiot!!!!
He stabbed him in the back with a kryptonite shiv. Then fell off a cliff into the mid atlantic near a continet covered in kryptonite. If Lois and Richard hadn't comeback for him, he would have died.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
JamalYIgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #78
elvislennon2005
Side-Kick

That is correct.

I know of no reason,
Why the gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot.
elvislennon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #79
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: Is anyone else sick of "kryptonite" used as a weapon against Superman?

Again, what's the problem with Superman simply facing someone who is powerful enough to hurt him? Most of his villains are. There's no need for all these special tricks or magic spells or green rocks.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #80
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question
Again, what's the problem with Superman simply facing someone who is powerful enough to hurt him? Most of his villains are. There's no need for all these special tricks or magic spells or green rocks.
There's no problem with that...but that isn't what the thread starter wanted...he's sick and tired of Kryptonite being used and doesn't want it used again. Some of us are saying that it is part of the Superman mythos so sit should still be used some.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #81
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

It should be used, but not as a constant and the only means of defeating him. There should be a physical challenger that poses a serious threat to him and to Earth that he has problems beating. Though kryptonite itself has become so ingrained in pop culture that people call anything that's a weakness their "kryptonite", so I doubt it 's gonna go away anytime soon.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #82
Antonello Blueberry
Inglorious bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle
The fact that I A) work for DC Comics .
And you're very good, too.
Jamal, congrats for the Nightwing gig.

Antonello Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #83
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonello Blueberry
And you're very good, too.
Jamal, congrats for the Nightwing gig.
Thanks, Man.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #84
COMPO
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029
Mmmmm Mashed Potatoes...I am going to Boston Market.
mash pataaaa!!!

COMPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #85
storyteller
Side-Kick

In justice league cartoon, lex used kryptonite to power his suit.
In the comics lex used a kryptonite enhanced suit(and steroid) to up the ante.

Thats a fine way to use kryptonite without going the "here superman i hold kryptonite in my hands"

If anything they should lower the immediate effect. Superman should still be able to fight back though having a tough time.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 AM   #86
HUMAN
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan
Again "Smallville" is to blame........Red K's effect on Superman is not to make him a bad boy Superman. Red K's effect on Superman varies each time he suffers exposure and the effect never repeats itself. The effect can be minor or major; reasonable or ridiculous.
Yeah, I know. But having Superman turn bad due to Red K is more clever than him turning into something random, like a Superturtle.

HUMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 AM   #87
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller
In justice league cartoon, lex used kryptonite to power his suit.
In the comics lex used a kryptonite enhanced suit(and steroid) to up the ante.

Thats a fine way to use kryptonite without going the "here superman i hold kryptonite in my hands"

If anything they should lower the immediate effect. Superman should still be able to fight back though having a tough time.
Lex's suit in the comics isn't Kryptonite enhanced. And mixing steroids with liquid Kryptonite doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't give you extra strength, it would give you cancer.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #88
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMAN
Yeah, I know. But having Superman turn bad due to Red K is more clever than him turning into something random, like a Superturtle.
Superturtle would definitely be the ridiculous end of the spectrum , but Red K's effect is an open book for creative writing; making the constant effect a bad Superman is the least creative use of Red K.

Last edited by afan; 11-07-2006 at 10:19 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #89
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lex's suit in the comics isn't Kryptonite enhanced. And mixing steroids with liquid Kryptonite doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't give you extra strength, it would give you cancer.
Uhmm Actually those points are both correct:
in Superman/Batman issues 4 and 5 revealed that Lex had been mxing distilled Kryptonite with a variation of Bane's Venom formula and injecting himself with it.
His current battlesuit, Seen since Supergirl and Infinite Crisis,forged in the apokoliptian firepits is not only Kryptonite powered but it's right glove has multi colored kryptonite.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #90
Cyrusbales
Side-Kick

Quote:
LMAO

I found this very funny, it's like "well you may have superpowers, but I, have cancer!",

Probably kill superman through laughter!

Also, can supes pull a muscle?

Cyrusbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #91
The Question

Quote:
Uhmm Actually those points are both correct:
in Superman/Batman issues 4 and 5 revealed that Lex had been mxing distilled Kryptonite with a variation of Bane's Venom formula and injecting himself with it.
Which is stupid. Kryptonite is a highly radioactive substance. It gave him cancer from wearing a kryptonite ring for a few months. The injection should have killed him.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #92
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which is stupid. Kryptonite is a highly radioactive substance. It gave him cancer from wearing a kryptonite ring for a few months. The injection should have killed him.
Actually it gave him cancer over the course of years, not months.It's alway been written that Kryptonite only affects humans after extended prolonged regular expsoure. Hey didn't write it, Jeph Loeb did. It's a comic book story, things only happen if you want them to.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #93
The Question

Quote:
Actually it gave him cancer over the course of years, not months.It's alway been written that Kryptonite only affects humans after extended prolonged regular expsoure. Hey didn't write it, Jeph Loeb did. It's a comic book story, things only happen if you want them to.
I was under the impression that he only had the Kryptonite ring for a few months to a year before it gave him cancer. And, in any event, wearing a Kryptonite ring and injecting liquid Kryptonite into your blood are two very different things.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #94
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
He stabbed him in the back with a kryptonite shiv. Then fell off a cliff into the mid atlantic near a continet covered in kryptonite. If Lois and Richard hadn't comeback for him, he would have died.
Exactly, and how was Lex to know Lois and Richard were even coming back, for all he knew Lois was still locked in the boat or dead.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #95
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was under the impression that he only had the Kryptonite ring for a few months to a year before it gave him cancer. And, in any event, wearing a Kryptonite ring and injecting liquid Kryptonite into your blood are two very different things.
It's a comic book. Things change.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #96
The Question

Quote:
It's a comic book. Things change.
That's not an excuse for inconsistant writing. That's just a nice way of calling it inconsistant writing. And anyway, I stand by my point: Kryptonite is completely unnecessairy to give Superman a challange. And, honestly, I'm quite tired of seeing it.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #97
Cats
Hot-blooded Feline

I think the problem here is that the effects of kryptonite is undefined, apart from the fact that it makes Superman weak. Sometimes, a short term exposure renders him powerless, even for a few days. At other times he is still able to fight the bad guys under the influence. And we've all seen him lift a continent into outerspace with a piece of kryptonite wedged in his side. Someone should start writing some rules on the effects of kryptonite on Superman.

One thing that always frustrates me with the use of kryptonite is how it usually ends up reflecting badly on Superman's intelligence/cunning. How many scenes are there where Superman walks self-willingly, sometimes quite unnecessarily into an obvious trap and not think to use his other nifty abilities to avoid proximity to danger? Superman is quite invulnerable, kryptonite was invented to depower him in ways. But I'm sure that being brought up as a man, he has picked up on weaknesses than just kryptonite - namely emotional content. I'd like to see an intelligent Superman, and an even more intelligent villain playing mind games.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #98
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
That's not an excuse for inconsistant writing. That's just a nice way of calling it inconsistant writing. And anyway, I stand by my point: Kryptonite is completely unnecessairy to give Superman a challange. And, honestly, I'm quite tired of seeing it.
Check the continuity of any comic that has gone 30 plus years......things change.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:37 AM   #99
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
I think the problem here is that the effects of kryptonite is undefined, .

Green K is immediately debilitating to Superman. It instills an overwhelming and disabling infirmity for the Man of Steel in proportion to it's size and proximity, and prolonged exposure results in death. As he approached it he would identify the effect tho, allowing him to easily take measures to avoid close contact. Enemies must use clever devices in order to spring it on an unsuspecting Superman.

It does not rob Superman of his powers. It does however instill such a severe weakness that he is totally incapable of using his "active" powers. He is helpless but not powerless.

Green K is very very rare on Earth. Unlike it's presence in "Smallville"(which I blame for much of the confusion surrounding Green K) it is not found evrywhere lying about.

And since someone brought up magic...........
Magic is not a "weakness" of Superman's, he is powerless against the intent of magic. There is a difference. If a mage punched Superman his fist would be no less effective than anyone else.

A lot of misuse ("Smallville" in particular) of the properties of Green K over the years, but this is the base effect of the metal.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #100
Pimpjuice16
Man Of Steel

Shock Kryptonite is Real!

Kryptonite, which robbed Superman of his powers, is no longer the stuff of comic books and films.

A mineral found by geologists in Serbia shares virtually the same chemical composition as the fictional kryptonite from outer space, used by the superhero's nemesis Lex Luther to weaken him in the film "Superman Returns".

"We will have to be careful with it -- we wouldn't want to deprive Earth of its most famous superhero!," said Dr Chris Stanley, a mineralogist at London's Natural History Museum.

Stanley, who revealed the identity of the mysterious new mineral, discovered the match after searching the Internet for its chemical formula - sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide.

"I was amazed to discover that same scientific name written on a case of rock containing kryptonite stolen by Lex Luther from a museum in the film Superman Returns," he said.

The substance has been confirmed as a new mineral after tests by scientists at the Natural History Museum in London and the National Research Council in Canada.

But instead of the large green crystals in Superman comics, the real thing is a white, powdery substance which contains no fluorine and is non-radioactive.

The mineral, to be named Jadarite, will go on show at the London's Natural History Museum at certain times of the day on Wednesday, April 25, and Sunday, May 13.

Her Brain Is Ludacris So When I Ahhhh....I Call It Release Therapy

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434

Pimpjuice16 is offline   Reply With Quote