The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #26
Fenrir
Devourer Of Gods

Default Re: WETA/Microsoft put HALO FILM on the back burners :(

Yeah, who thought something as absurd as a giant overgrown ape falling in love with a blonde bombshell would work in a movie? No wait...

Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #27
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

Or people teleporting into a computer to fight viruses with Kung Fu.

WhatsHisFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #28
Jerry
Banned User

Yeah I'm sure I can name dozens upon dozens of movie that deal with those things. No wait.. I can't because they don't exist. How many movies dealing with alien invasions or alien threatening mankind exist? It wouldn't work, it wouldn't draw the casual audience, because they have seen it millions of times already. The whole deal with when the Matrix first came out and King Kong, movies like that were revolutionary, you want to compare that to a movie that hasn't even been made, yet alone even sure it will be made at all? OK, you win I guess if you look at it that way. But thats ridiculous.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #29
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

You're telling me that only movies with original premises do well?

Obviously, you don't know a damn thing.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #30
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Oh for ****s sake, it was from a book, not a video game. Basically the video game is humans vs aliens, thats all everyone but biased Halo fans will see in that movie and they will go "meh, seen it a billion times already". It would just be one of those generic flashy action movies that get shipped out every summer, sticking to the source material or not. People will be saying they saw it already with Starship Troopers, except that Halo tries to take itself seriously being the only difference. I'm not saying the game is bad, its not, its just that it wouldn't work as a movie, Peter Jackson included. Everyone always has these rose colored glasses on. Look past you're insane love for the game. Great game, sucky movie. Same goes for just about every example. Super Mario Bros is classic, you seen that chunk of **** on the big screen?
I think Halo has a better shot then Super Mario seeing as how Mario is based on a plumber that eats mushrooms and jumps super high. Halo has a lot more substance than that. And the script reviews for Halo were really good. It had the potential to be a good movie. And besides, Starship Troopers sucked. Halo has a really strong fan base. It sells a ridiculous amount of games. It'll be even more when Halo 3 launches. I think if they made a good movie, with the fanbase and the general public still eating up action movies, it would've pulled in good numbers.

WeeZiTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #31
Jerry
Banned User

No, I'm not saying that. All I am saying is that the movie will not work for these reasons: It is a movie based on a video game, casual fans that aren't familar with the game have already labeled it a suck fest without giving it a fair chance because of all those sucky movies based on games. The next reason is the premise, and its a very tried one. People are sick of that whole mankind versus a seemingly unstoppable alien force. You guys are comparing it to movies like Matrix and King Kong, both of which were revolutionary in its time. How? This movie, if its ever made, has lackluster summer movie written all over it. I like Halo as much as the next guy, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It will be a flop if its ever made. Years ago when there were rumors of a Resident Evil movie coming out, all their fans were like giggling little school girls. But as time went on and details were revealed and filming was being reported on they were like "Oh....holy **** tone thats horrible."

Last edited by Jerry; 11-02-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #32
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that. All I am saying is that the movie will not work for these reasons: It is a movie based on a video game, casual fans that aren't familar with the game have already labeled it a suck fest without giving it a fair chance because of all those sucky movies based on games.
And even with the many sucky superhero movies, films like X-men and Spider-man still did exceptionally well, making way for much higher-quality superhero movies like Batman Begins and Sin City.

Quote:
The next reason is the premise, and its a very tried one. People are sick of that whole mankind versus a seemingly unstoppable alien force. You guys are comparing it to movies like Matrix and King Kong, both of which were revolutionary in its time.
Yeah, I thought people were tired of Cop movies, Mafia movies, Soldier movies, etc. But they aren't. Soldiers vs. Aliens isn't going to suddenly lose popularity.

Quote:
This movie, if its ever made, has lackluster summer movie written all over it. I like Halo as much as the next guy, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. It will be a flop if its ever made. Years ago when there were rumors of a Resident Evil movie coming out, all their fans were like giggling little school girls. But as time went on and details were revealed and filming was being reported on they were like "Oh....holy **** tone thats horrible."
Do you actually think Microsoft, Bungie, Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp haven't thought of this? You're wrong if you did, because this is addressed by them every time it comes up. This is the reason for the Halo Bible and the incredibly tight script regulations. What separates Halo from Resident Evil is Halo's well-established universe, unlike Resident Evil's generic and weakly back-storied setting, and the story within it.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #33
Zenien
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Batman Begins is NOT high quality. :|

Zenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #34
Fenrir
Devourer Of Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenien
Must we always disagree on everything?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #35
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, okay Horrorfan, whatever.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #36
DACMAN
The Spidey Fan

Quote:
People are sick of that whole mankind versus a seemingly unstoppable alien force.
Which would explain "War of the Worlds" low intake...

It sounds to me like you're projecting you own opinion on the general public. The fact is the general public loves those kinds of movies. ID4, Starship Troopers, Star Trek, Aliens, and even Star Wars are all examples of the type of movie Halo would be. You are seriously dead wrong about this. There is a reason Microsoft was having such a hard time selling the material. Studious want to do things there way. And Bungie won't allow a crappy movie to be made about their universe. And yes, I think it's extremely comforting to see a HUGE name like Jackson attached to the film.

SPIDEY QUIPS SONY! JUST ASK BENDIS AND WATCH!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
DACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #37
DACMAN
The Spidey Fan

Quote:
You know, some countries invoke the death penalty for such talk. Just sayin...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #38
블라스
Side-Kick

Quote:

블라스 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #39
DACMAN
The Spidey Fan

Awwww.....

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #40
블라스
Side-Kick

LOL it's just that Zenien's comment...

LOL!!!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #41
Fenrir
Devourer Of Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammy79
You should post the ape "LOL" pic. This one is too "cute" for Zenien's blasphemous comments about Batman Begins. Try something that is a bit more blunt and mocking.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #42
블라스
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir
You should post the ape "LOL" pic. This one is too "cute" for Zenien's blasphemous comments about Batman Begins. Try something that is a bit more blunt and mocking.
Or I can forget about the LOL and just post this...

Which is how I feel after the ROFLIng.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #43
Horrorfan
Banned User

As much as it pains me to say it, I gotta agree with zenien...Microsoft's demands were pretty unreasonable, especially as they were getting a few million anyway.

And I wouldn't say batman begins is crap, but it's certainly one of the most overrated movies out there.

Ugh twice in one post. I feel dirty.

Last edited by Horrorfan; 11-03-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Horrorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #44
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

There are some people in this world who just... HAVE to die.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #45
Extromaniac
Banned User

I have to say I'm going my usual route and sticking to the 'Zenien's wrong about anything that has to do with MS' gun. Microsoft could fund it, but they have to have a studio backing it that can distribute it like an earlier poster mentioned. Unless there's a Microsoft Movie Studios that I don't know about.

MS's demands aren't unreasonable. They just want a movie that is true to the content of the game. Hell, Bungie is their flagship developer, so why wouldn't they want a game based on something THEY OWN to be true to the storyline? Otherwise, it'd just become another generic human vs. alien flick that had really nothing to do with it's base story. Yippee.

Extromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #46
Horrorfan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extromaniac
I have to say I'm going my usual route and sticking to the 'Zenien's wrong about anything that has to do with MS' gun. Microsoft could fund it, but they have to have a studio backing it that can distribute it like an earlier poster mentioned. Unless there's a Microsoft Movie Studios that I don't know about.

MS's demands aren't unreasonable. They just want a movie that is true to the content of the game. Hell, Bungie is their flagship developer, so why wouldn't they want a game based on something THEY OWN to be true to the storyline? Otherwise, it'd just become another generic human vs. alien flick that had really nothing to do with it's base story. Yippee.
No, the financial demands. They wanted quite a large chunk of the gross, as well as getting paid a few million up front, without putting any of their own money on the project, but expecting two studios to, and then giving up profit for rights they already paid a bunch for.

Horrorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #47
WhatsHisFace
Banned User

Yeah, I didn't understand that whole "money up front plus gross" thing.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #48
Extromaniac
Banned User

Oh, yes, that may be pretty unreasonable. Though, I guess that's how MS wants to do business, then.

Oh well, the movie'll come out when it comes out. Halo is too big of a franchise to pass up on, considering how well a few have already done.

Extromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #49
DACMAN
The Spidey Fan

Well, at least a few more years=a bit better special effects.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #50
블라스
Side-Kick

I can't understand why anyone would not consider Batman Begins a high quality film.
Not liked by some people? Sure, that's just a matter of taste, even if it's still largely considered a great movie overall (even by comicbook haters) .

But to say it's not high quality, with that director and cast, and the amazing practical (non-CGI) effects, and that music score and the mind blowing action set pieces? Jesus Christ

That's just the 1up-like "Go against what everyone says, not because we think like that, but just to appear cool!" style of thinking.