The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Super-World

Old 11-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #26
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

I liked the light hearted, romantic approach for LnC, and for the Superman mythos that version was WAY overdue.

Superman is a huge draw for women. He's Superman! Yet, comic writers, cartoons, etc always leave out the female audience. I like that LnC was tailored for women, and it showed Superman in a very romantic view. He was the hero of that story, and that is what it was really all about.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:27 PM   #27
Dark Guardian
Guardian of Gotham

Indeed. My sister, my mother, and several of my girl friends have loved this series. The odd thing is, I love it just as much as they do, and I'm a guy. More than that, I'm a hard-core BATMAN fan! Anyways, yes, it definitely had that romantic aspect to it, which I thought was definitely...interesting, but it balanced it just enough with the Superman and the action aspect to make it perfect. There was just enough of both to have it appeal to everybody.

I.N.W.T=In Nolan We Trust
Dark Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #28
ariellem
ThorII & Doctor Who!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I liked the light hearted, romantic approach for LnC, and for the Superman mythos that version was WAY overdue.

Superman is a huge draw for women. He's Superman! Yet, comic writers, cartoons, etc always leave out the female audience. I like that LnC was tailored for women, and it showed Superman in a very romantic view. He was the hero of that story, and that is what it was really all about.
Bingo! Can't get women into superheroes, comics, etc. if they're all aimed at guys.

ariellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #29
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMylesOBoogie View Post
Season's 1 and 2 are the best live action adaptation of Superman hands down. Even though the sfx were poor it had the best writing, acting and most importantly it nailed the characters of Clark/Superman, Lois, Lex, Perry, The Kents and Jimmy perfectly.

Well put.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #30
ck51100
Side-Kick

Lois & Clark was one of those shows that had tremendous potential, but alas in the end didn't live up to it. I have to admit first off that I love the show. It is truly one of my all time favorites. The problem with the show was the intervention by ABC to make it more kid friendly. If you look at the pilot episode you honestly have one of the best versions of Superman ever. You had a really hip, new take on Superman that appealed to adults, primarily female viewers. That is what the show was intended to be. Unfortunately, ABC decided that Superman has to be a kid's show, so they dumbed the show down. A lot of the "double talk" was toned down, the character of Cat Grant was gone after the first season. When the show was originally conceived, it was to aimed at 18-37 year olds. The anticipated a Tuesday night at 9 PM time slot. What they got was Sunday night at 8. They basically were forced to retool the show to appeal to people from the ages of 3-80. If the show had been left alone and allowed to grow by itself I think it might of been one of the best adaptations of Superman ever. Instead I look at it as an inspired idea that just didn't fulfill its potential in the end. Stories got silly. Villians got goofy. I submit Clone Lois, and Myrtle Beach the Wedding Destroyer as exhibits A and B, respectively. There was a lot of great stuff about the show too. Dean Cain was a fantastic Clark Kent. Certainly his Superman needed some work, but as far as a likeable Clark Kent he nailed it. Lane Smith was Perry White. I can't think of anyone else that could do that part justice. I loved Michael Landes as Jimmy Olsen. It truly is a shame that they got rid of him after the first season. K Callan and Eddie Jones were perfectly cast as the Kents. It was really great to see Martha and Jonathan brought to life and actually given character, as opposed to just being there in other adaptations. You can say what you want about Teri Hatcher, but you can't deny that she was the hottest Lois ever. Like I said I really like this show. In the end is it an all time great? No, it really isn't but I think if you look close enough you can see bits and pieces of greatness and think about what might have been.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #31
CLARKY
Side-Kick

yeah, I agree.
I liked the Kents, but I think I'm not a fan of the true concept of the Kent (in the comic), so I liked them in L&C but I was unconfortable with them in the mean time. The only Kents I really like throughout Superman history are the Smallville's ones.
I keep thinking Perry was one of the best paternal yet the boss, I agree with you ck51100, I liked M.Landes' Jimmy a lot too, J.Shea as Lex Luthor was brilliant, really brilliant.
And for T.Hatcher, well, she made me fall in love with Lois. She was all that I see in Lois and all that I expect Lois to be in the comicbook. I have difficulties to accept the character of Lois Lane, I think she doesn't live up to her potential at all, in the comicbook or elsewhere , except in L&C (season 1 and 2 only). I think she's perfect.
Even beyond what she was, when I happen to watch desperate housewives, I only watch it to catch glimpsy moments where I could still see Lois Lane older.
http://www.stack.nl/~boris/Teri/AOS/thatch19.jpg

Last edited by Morg; 11-27-2008 at 08:22 PM.
CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #32
TwilightPro101

The first season was the strongest, no question but everything that followed it up was a mixed bag exception of the wedding, which turned into Superman's own Clone Saga.

ScarJo IS Black Widow

Last edited by TwilightPro101; 08-30-2010 at 04:13 PM.
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #33
Steve Rogers
Side-Kick

It had its goofy camp moments, but I really liked the overall tone. The storys focused on Clark, not Superman. They gave Clark the conflict, not Superman. This has to be my favorite incarnation of the character ever.

Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #34
Travis K
Side-Kick

Dean Cain is way underrated

Travis K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #35
The Empire Ape
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis K View Post
Dean Cain is way underrated
xasa

The Empire Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #36
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Lois & Clark to me is the best interpretation of Superman ever, storywise.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #37
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Best ever...well the first few seasons were great.

LexCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #38
Cyrusbales
Side-Kick

when lois found out about the secret identity, it went down hill, but before then, this is prob my fav supes incarnation because it has so much character and clark is brilliant, I'm a fan of Dean Cain anyway, even in the crappy third rate films he does like rag and bone man.

Cyrusbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #39
The Empire Ape
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderDaniel View Post
Lois & Clark to me is the best interpretation of Superman ever, storywise.
"You'll believe ... Superman looks like a Chinese sushi cook"

The Empire Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #40
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrusbales View Post
when lois found out about the secret identity, it went down hill,
Yeah I agree. The first 2 seasons especially the first one were really great. I love the pilot. A good Lex, a good scene of confrontation between Lex and Superman, good plot, good Clark, etc ..., and especially good Lois ; I remember the first time she appeared one screen, dressed like a man, with a belly and a mustache. I like this small part.
Bottom line, even if I like Superman Returns suit and Superman The movie suit, my favorite is, indeed, the L&C one.
Quote:
I'm a fan of Dean Cain anyway, even in the crappy third rate films he does like rag and bone man.
I wouldn't consider myself as a pure fan but I admit : same here.

CLARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 AM   #41
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

I liked the Lex in this series, best Lex ever if you ask me.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #42
Cyrusbales
Side-Kick

Spacey is a good lex for me, but the one in this serious was on a par, the schemes sometimes seemed a little off, but generally they were awesome.

Anyhow, anyone remember the christmas episode with msisoghsiegsnhk or whatever his name is. That was brilliant!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #43
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Yeah Lex in SR was a bit stupid really. Create a baron land that he would some how claim as his onw. I mean how could he of defended him self even if Superman lost the fight and did not chuck the new island into space. He would of sat back and said well I did it I made a big rock. I know its a tangent but you could argue that he did it just to get at Superman???

Yes the xmas episode where they have to say the name backwards.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #44
ck51100
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anyhow, anyone remember the christmas episode with msisoghsiegsnhk or whatever his name is. That was brilliant!
Are you speaking of Mxyzptlk?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #45
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck51100 View Post
Are you speaking of Mxyzptlk?
Yes we are

Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #46
Cyrusbales
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexCorp View Post
Yeah Lex in SR was a bit stupid really. Create a baron land that he would some how claim as his onw. I mean how could he of defended him self even if Superman lost the fight and did not chuck the new island into space. He would of sat back and said well I did it I made a big rock. I know its a tangent but you could argue that he did it just to get at Superman???

Yes the xmas episode where they have to say the name backwards.
SR lex was interesting, developed etc with some nice qualities. I love the scheme, but that's another story.

What happened in the last episodes of L&C?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #47
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Quote:
SR lex was interesting, developed etc with some nice qualities. I love the scheme, but that's another story.

What happened in the last episodes of L&C?
Yeah I like the character still but his plot seemed off.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #48
SuperDaniel
Banned User

The episode with Mxyzptlk was amazing and to me one of the best of the series. I watched it again when i bought the DVD some months ago and i love how Superman has to restore hope in the world. If thats not Superman`s essence, then i dont know what is it.

The effects are not the great, nor is the action BUT the quality of storytelling and character development makes up for it. I was so addicted to the show when it was on the air it wasnt funny!

I remember i was doing bad at school and my mom prohibited me from watching the show to study more at night. I was so sad the whole week. Then we were watching TV together and we saw the add for the next episode of L& C and it would be "tempus Fugitive", the best in the series IMO, and she said that the episode was going to be really good and she let me watch it again. Eventually i managed to do both things...study and have fun.

Last edited by SuperDaniel; 08-27-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #49
SuperDaniel
Banned User

People always post bad pics of Dean Cain as Supes. So here is some good ones.

http://www.kryptonknights.com/tnaos/capeshot8.jpg
http://www.redboots.net/history2/whinew29a.jpg

Plus, this is a great website.

http://www.redboots.net/tnaos/lc_relationship.htm

Last edited by Morg; 11-27-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #50
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

Awesome pics. I watched an episode of this last night. It was funny how they show his powers working off screen so much. You know that run and jump off screen to make it seem like he flew.