The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 22,007
Default Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Discuss.

All I know is, West is my number one.

__________________
"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 33,058
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

I'd say West was the most detective like who used his intelligence and crime-solving skills.

I don't know if any of the rest were really detective like, and it's too soon to tell about Affleck.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 21,245
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

West
Kilmer
Keaton
Bale
Clooney

__________________
He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

The History of Batman Killing in the Comics
Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 43,093
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

West - He had gadgets for every occasion. Flawlessly deduced Riddler's riddles, Puzzler's puzzles, and other cryptic clues and mind games villains like to play. He was also a great one for seeing through phony disguises - Molly dressed as Robin, Joker dressed as the Maharajah, False Face's disguises etc. Was a fountain of information on just about any subject. Quick thinker on his feet. Look at how he got out of all those cliffhanger death traps.

Bale - Close second to West. Using the marked bills to track the mob's money in the banks. Getting the fingerprint off the shattered bullet. Constructing the sonar machine to track down the Joker. Cross referencing the names in the database with addresses in the vicinity of Loeb's funeral to get Melvin White's address. Surveillance of Crane, Gordon, Rachel, Police radio bands. Tracking down Selina Kyle. He saw through the Prewitt Building set up. Forewarning Gordon with the names of Cops with relatives in the hospital. Using his Bruce Wayne guise effectively in daylight hours for crime fighting.....and a plethora more I can't be inclined to type out because my point is made.

Kilmer - Like West he was great and nailing Riddler's riddles. He was quick to deduce Two Face's two's obsession link with the bank heist. Cleverly escaped the bank vault death trap using a simple hearing aid.

Keaton - He cracked Joker's poison code. He saw through Penguin's poor abandoned orphan act, and made the link between him and the Red Triangle gang.

Clooney - Apart from deducing Pamela Isley was Poison Ivy, I can't think of anything stand out smart that he did.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 03-10-2016 at 02:27 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Greens
I am Danny DeVito
 
Greens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,935
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Clooney - Apart from deducing Pamela Isley was Poison Ivy, I can't think of anything stand out smart that he did.
He didn't leave the cave without the Bat credit card.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude stannis View Post
There is no fighting Hans Van Houten. You can try to shoot the devil in the back, but what if you miss?

Who put Bella in the wych elm? Hans Van Houten did.
Greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 22,007
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

I definitely agree that Bale is the second smartest Batman. The sonar device alone nabs him that spot.

__________________
"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 21,245
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Yeah, but Bale didn't create the majority of his tech, as he was heavily reliant on Lucius. Sure, he helped solve a lot of things, but he didn't create any of his suits, vehicles, gadgets, etc. That's why I think all of the other ones were above him. It's not just about solving cases and catching the bad guy, it's who was also smart enough to create their own tech to help them do those things. It goes into answering the overall question, IMO.

__________________
He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

The History of Batman Killing in the Comics
Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 43,093
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
He didn't leave the cave without the Bat credit card.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Yeah, but Bale didn't create the majority of his tech, as he was heavily reliant on Lucius. Sure, he helped solve a lot of things, but he didn't create any of his suits, vehicles, gadgets, etc. That's why I think all of the other ones were above him. It's not just about solving cases and catching the bad guy, it's who was also smart enough to create their own tech to help them do those things. It goes into answering the overall question, IMO.
How do you know the others created their own tech? For example in Batman Returns Alfred was wondering about how they were going to repair the Batmobile after Penguin trashed it. If someone can build their own car, then they can certainly fix it. Alfred said they couldn't just take it to any repair shop, which means Bruce couldn't repair it himself. If he could it wouldn't have been an issue.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 33,058
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

I think West's Batman created the Batmobile, whereas Lucius Fox created Bale's one.

And come to think of it, didn't all the other Batmen created their own Batmobiles as well?

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Travesty
TEOL
 
Travesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's House
Posts: 21,245
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
How do you know the others created their own tech? For example in Batman Returns Alfred was wondering about how they were going to repair the Batmobile after Penguin trashed it. If someone can build their own car, then they can certainly fix it. Alfred said they couldn't just take it to any repair shop, which means Bruce%2
But we saw Bruce repairing the Batmobile after he put it in bullet mode, so we know he worked on it. It was right before he told Alfred to tear up the invention, and then took it back, even though it was already torn in half.

__________________
He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

The History of Batman Killing in the Comics
Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 43,093
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
But we saw Bruce repairing the Batmobile after he put it in bullet mode, so we know he worked on it.
Yeah because he had no choice but to try and fix it himself since he couldn't take it to a repair shop for security reasons. Since we never see that version of the Batmobile again, I'm guessing he failed to fix it

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 33,058
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Affleck's Batman better be smart, because he'll probably be using mostly his wits to beat Superman.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 43,093
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I think West's Batman created the Batmobile, whereas Lucius Fox created Bale's one.

And come to think of it, didn't all the other Batmen created their own Batmobiles as well?
Even the BTAS Batman didn't make his own Batmobile. In the episode called The Mechanic we see he hired an out of work mechanic called Earle Cooper to design and build it for him in secret.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #14
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 33,058
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Well I think West's Batman did create it, and all the other gadgets and vehicles.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #15
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 22,007
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Yeah, I was going to say that we have no concrete idea of who built anything in the Burton/Schumacher films.

But it is an absolute certainty that Bale took the sonar concept and made it much more effective, a feat of genius that no Batman in the Burton/Schumacher series equaled, IMO.

__________________
"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #16
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 33,058
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Clooney built the Batsuit with Batnipples, which automatically puts him at the bottom.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #17
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,337
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
West - He had gadgets for every occasion. Flawlessly deduced Riddler's riddles, Puzzler's puzzles, and other cryptic clues and mind games villains like to play. He was also a great one for seeing through phony disguises - Molly dressed as Robin, Joker dressed as the Maharajah, False Face's disguises etc. Was a fountain of information on just about any subject. Quick thinker on his feet. Look at how he got out of all those cliffhanger death traps.

Bale - Close second to West. Using the marked bills to track the mob's money in the banks. Getting the fingerprint off the shattered bullet. Constructing the sonar machine to track down the Joker. Cross referencing the names in the database with addresses in the vicinity of Loeb's funeral to get Melvin White's address. Surveillance of Crane, Gordon, Rachel, Police radio bands. Tracking down Selina Kyle. He saw through the Prewitt Building set up. Forewarning Gordon with the names of Cops with relatives in the hospital. Using his Bruce Wayne guise effectively in daylight hours for crime fighting.....and a plethora more I can't be inclined to type out because my point is made.

Kilmer - Like West he was great and nailing Riddler's riddles. He was quick to deduce Two Face's two's obsession link with the bank heist. Cleverly escaped the bank vault death trap using a simple hearing aid.

Keaton - He cracked Joker's poison code. He saw through Penguin's poor abandoned orphan act, and made the link between him and the Red Triangle gang.

Clooney - Apart from deducing Pamela Isley was Poison Ivy, I can't think of anything stand out smart that he did.
This is my rankings as well.

I'll add that Bale's Bruce already knew about Lau's illegal revenue stream; even before Lucius.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:04 AM   #18
batmanswife
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Gotham City in Batman's strong embrace
Posts: 106
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

For me the only live action Batman that I like is Ben Affleck. So if I had to choose between all the live action Batmans I would always choose Ben Affleck.

batmanswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
the5timechamp
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 280
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

So hard to say... Do we award Kilmer for solving the riddles so quickly or Keaton for being smart enough to know not to return for another film... so hard..

the5timechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #20
the last son
Side-Kick
 
the last son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,496
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Bale, kilmer, keaton, Clooney

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:32 AM   #21
schereZada
Lois Loan
 
schereZada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 341
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yeah because he had no choice but to try and fix it himself since he couldn't take it to a repair shop for security reasons. Since we never see that version of the Batmobile again, I'm guessing he failed to fix it
Bruce at that point was trying to stop Shreck and the Penguin, and had Catwoman in the mix too. It's completely possible that Wayne didn't have the time to repair a car when there was so much going on. If they couldn't have it repaired anywhere else, it means nobody else has been involved with the batmobile, which would mean that Wayne had to build it himself.

schereZada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #22
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 43,093
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Possible but how likely. The fact that their first thought was 'we can't take the Batmobile to a repair shop so what are going to do' means Bruce is not mechanically adept at fixing his toys himself. Otherwise they wouldn't even be thinking about taking it to a repair shop in the first place when they can fix it themselves. Can only go by what we're told and shown.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #23
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tanned and young and lovely
Posts: 33,058
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

I think, having seen BvS now, I'd still say West is the smartest.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #24
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,800
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanswife View Post
For me the only live action Batman that I like is Ben Affleck. So if I had to choose between all the live action Batmans I would always choose Ben Affleck.
So, completely ignore the point of this thread.

__________________
"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,800
Default Re: Rank the Live Action Batmen from Smartest to Least Smartest

I'm pretty sure I remember Riddler's riddles, and a high school student could figure them out.

__________________
"Lets make one thing very clear here - Nolan's films are as faithful an adaptation as there is. It pays homage to its source material, remains true to its characters and above all else places the story first and foremost." - jmc
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.