The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #151
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Default Re: Michael Keaton Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLathropBrown View Post

Honestly, when I look at a drawing of Batman, I can see Keaton in it. That's how perfect (albiet unexpectedly) he was for the role. Not the casting decision I would have come up with on my own, but a stroke of brilliance anyway. One of those casting coups that you never expect. He melds so perfectly with the role that he really doesn't need "memory fabric" or a "Nomex survival suit for advanced infantry" to be believeable. Realistic? Maybe. But believeable? Keaton just sells it, through and through. It saddens me because Bale's more than capable, he could have sold the film/character in the same way Keaton did, but Nolan went a direction I felt was ultimately detrimental and unbecoming/unnecessary to the character as a whole. Rarely have we been privy to how his stuff works in the comics, it's not necessary. And we haven't seen where every detail of his stuff comes from. When he appears in costume the first time in Year One, we don't explain where he got the fabric for the suit, etc.... It's not that important.
Absolutely spot on. The biggest flaw of Begins is Nolan wasting so much time trying to sell the audience the Batmobile or the Batsuit. Nolan, the audience expected those things when they bought the tickets. You don't need to try and make them believable, the audience has agreed to suspend disbelief already by agreeing to watch a film called Batman Begins, and everything that goes with it.

It's like trying to watch Superman, whilst someone pauses the film every few minutes to explain why exactly he can fly and why his belt is yellow.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #152
DocLathropBrown
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Absolutely spot on. The biggest flaw of Begins is Nolan wasting so much time trying to sell the audience the Batmobile or the Batsuit. Nolan, the audience expected those things when they bought the tickets. You don't need to try and make them believable, the audience has agreed to suspend disbelief already by agreeing to watch a film called Batman Begins, and everything that goes with it.

It's like trying to watch Superman, whilst someone pauses the film every few minutes to explain why exactly he can fly and why his belt is yellow.
Exactly. I like a few things in Batman Begins. No, really! But the film gets bogged down in it's own minuta and takes the punch away from itself. It doesn't make it boring, but it makes it very dry. I think the best part of the film overall is the pre-Batman half, mostly because of Liam Neeson.

Back on topic: Keaton rocks!

Indiana Jones
and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

DocLathropBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #153
SHADOWBAT69
outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLathropBrown View Post
Exactly. I like a few things in Batman Begins. No, really! But the film gets bogged down in it's own minuta and takes the punch away from itself. It doesn't make it boring, but it makes it very dry. I think the best part of the film overall is the pre-Batman half, mostly because of Liam Neeson.

Back on topic: Keaton rocks!

I agree with that.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #154
Redwoods Wolf
Side-Kick

I think it's ironic that after going to all the time and trouble to put the left and right halves of the Batmobile back on, Batman still decides to design a new car for BF.
And Keaton was spectacular in BR. The movie itself was OK, but Keaton trying to figure out Selina and reacting off her weirdness was classic.

"King of paint."--venom4life

Thanks to Bauer00 for the avatar.
Redwoods Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #155
House_of_El
Defender of Krypton

On July 18, 2008, People Will Die!

SLaughterIs The Best Medicine!
House_of_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #156
Bruce_Wayne29
Side-Kick

Here's one more shot of Keaton with Burton on set of BR:

And a recent picture. He looks great.

Last edited by Bruce_Wayne29; 01-25-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Bruce_Wayne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #157
Redwoods Wolf
Side-Kick

I love that Keaton isn't the usual dressy, full of himself Hollywood actor. Down-to-earth.
Sweet one of Burton and Keaton, BTW.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #158
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne29 View Post

And a recent picture. He looks great.
Let's put Bale on standby and get Keaton back for one more-!

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #159
Furious Styles
Side-Kick

Quote:
YES!!!!

*Quickly runs upstairs and steals money from mother's purse*

Michael Keaton's portrayal as Batman has left him with a simple legacy. He IS Batman. There have been other great portrayals such as Kilmer and Bale, however I don't the role will affect these actors in the same way it affected Keaton. Regardless of where he is now or what he does in the future, he will always be Batman. And I don't believe that it is a case of his acting ability being rather limited, rather the exact opposite. His portrayal as Batman was so powerful, so absolutely masterful that I truthfully believe at least two, if not three generations will have been impacted by his performance.

Last edited by Furious Styles; 01-26-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Furious Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:09 AM   #160
Damiean Dark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Styles View Post
YES!!!!

Michael Keaton's portrayal as Batman has left him with a simple legacy. He IS Batman. There have been other great portrayals such as Kilmer and Bale, however I don't the role will affect these actors in the same way it affected Keaton. Regardless of where he is now or what he does in the future, he will always be Batman. And I don't believe that it is a case of his acting ability being rather limited, rather the exact opposite. His portrayal as Batman was so powerful, so absolutely masterful that I truthfully believe at least two, if not three generations will have been impacted by his performance.
He was the greatest actor to play the role, yes but your comment on his acting ability is all wrong IMO he is versatile and isnt above playing roles in lesser films (that small role in Much Ado About Nothing springs to mind) he can do comedy and AND deep dramatic roles it sounds simple but is much harder then people think to pull off.

Damiean Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #161
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
The Dark Knight Returns HBO mini series sounds good to me.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #162
Rockbottom
Side-Kick

Quote:
YES!!!!

Actually the actor that Batman has effected most would be Adam West, but obviously he couldnt do DKR.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #163
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
The Dark Knight Returns HBO mini series sounds good to me.
No, it has to be on the big screen.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #164
Rockbottom
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, it has to be on the big screen.
Agreed, but i dont see how they could get the Superman bits to work, I mean obviously Reeve is out of the question. Routh hasnt been Superman long enough and it just wouldnt seem right to have him there, and a new Superman wouldnt work and no to Dean Cain, so i dont see it working as much as i would love to see it.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #165
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbottom View Post
Agreed, but i dont see how they could get the Superman bits to work, I mean obviously Reeve is out of the question. Routh hasnt been Superman long enough and it just wouldnt seem right to have him there, and a new Superman wouldnt work and no to Dean Cain, so i dont see it working as much as i would love to see it.
Yes, and I doubt Warner Bros would let Superman be portrayed as a stooge of the Government anyway. Just take Superman out, and have the climax with the Joker instead.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #166
Bruce_Wayne29
Side-Kick

You guys don't have to sell me on this, I'm up for it. Keaton should do one last movie and get a chance to finish the trilogy. Actually if Burton couldn't come back as well I say give Keaton a chance to direct the movie.
He GETS this character, he knows how Batman thinks and how he should react. Burton says on the dvds that sometimes he would cut down lines because he didn't think Batman would say certain things or he would react more with his eyes (and we know how alot of actors just want more and more lines and are offended by cuts in dialogue).
I think something that BB has that I didn't like as much as that Batman has too much dialogue. There's not that aura of mystery that Keaton created. He became the established version with a mythic aura to it.
I really want DKR so bad and I'm sure he would be up for it with the right script and director. This was the story that convinced him to do the movie and the one he based his portrayal of the character. He loves it alot.
Of course I would love to see it in a big screen but if I can't I would love the mini-series thing. In my opinion they could get Caviezel to portray Superman.
In my opinion that climax with Supes is one of the best written pieces of dialogue in the history of comic books.
But I wouldn't oppose of it being just with the Joker.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #167
Redwoods Wolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
You guys don't have to sell me on this, I'm up for it. Keaton should do one last movie and get a chance to finish the trilogy. Actually if Burton couldn't come back as well I say give Keaton a chance to direct the movie.
He GETS this character, he knows how Batman thinks and how he should react. Burton says on the dvds that sometimes he would cut down lines because he didn't think Batman would say certain things or he would react more with his eyes (and we know how alot of actors just want more and more lines and are offended by cuts in dialogue).
Totally agreed on this--an especially memorable moment for me was a small shot in BR when the two thugs land on the Batmobile and start firing. He's driving, then they cut away to his face and he gets this confident little smirk--he knows EXACTLY what's happening and how to respond. Keaton's the man.
Quote:
I think something that BB has that I didn't like as much as that Batman has too much dialogue.
I just didn't like that most of it was useless dialogue. "Nice coat." "Taste of your own medicine, Doctor?" etc. Batman is best understated.
Quote:
There's not that aura of mystery that Keaton created. He became the established version with a mythic aura to it.
I really want DKR so bad and I'm sure he would be up for it with the right script and director. This was the story that convinced him to do the movie and the one he based his portrayal of the character. He loves it alot.
This is a really interesting idea. With Keaton as Batman, who would play the other parts? They'd have to be older actors (except Superman)...
Quote:
Of course I would love to see it in a big screen but if I can't I would love the mini-series thing. In my opinion they could get Caviezel to portray Superman.
In my opinion that climax with Supes is one of the best written pieces of dialogue in the history of comic books.
But I wouldn't oppose of it being just with the Joker.
I would. There's not the sense of epic conclusion if the Joker just snaps his own neck and batman gets away. DKR needs his arrogant self-secrifice.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #168
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoods Wolf View Post
I would. There's not the sense of epic conclusion if the Joker just snaps his own neck and batman gets away. DKR needs his arrogant self-secrifice.
Of course you would change the events of the climax, but still have it with the Joker rather than Superman. Perhaps even have the Joker working as a Government lackey rather than Superman.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #169
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Why not just have it end with Batman taking on the Government and going down in the blaze of hardcore glory?

Old 01-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #170
Bruce_Wayne29
Side-Kick

These are all nice ideas guys. Kevin how would you explain the Joker's involvement with the Government ?
It's too bad I live overseas. If I lived in the States I would try to track down Keaton and tell him how much his fans want this to happen and would he like to do it or not. Maybe we could get some attention here in SHH and on the internet to gain WB's attention to do this project.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #171
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
These are all nice ideas guys. Kevin how would you explain the Joker's involvement with the Government ?
It's too bad I live overseas. If I lived in the States I would try to track down Keaton and tell him how much his fans want this to happen and would he like to do it or not. Maybe we could get some attention here in SHH and on the internet to gain WB's attention to do this project.
I hate to say this, but there's absolutely no chance of this happening. Only maybe as some sort of fan project, a graphic novel or audio play.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #172
Furious Styles
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hate to say this, but there's absolutely no chance of this happening. Only maybe as some sort of fan project, a graphic novel or audio play.
Hasn't Sean Connery taught you anything? Neva Shay Neva

Yea, there is absolutely no chance of it happening. However (for all Keaton fans) look on the bright side. In his two appearances as Batman, Keaton owned the role and arguably made the best Bat film of all.

Furious Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #173
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Hasn't Sean Connery taught you anything? Neva Shay Neva
Which was crap.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #174
Rockbottom
Side-Kick

Obviously TDKR live action isnt gonna happen with Keaton, only place i can see it happening in Batman TAS, which would be brillent.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #175
Bat Attack
Mirth

Adam West had a (fantastic) B:TAS cameo, so why not Keaton. But B:TAS is long gone.