The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #51
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: If it were Doomsday-- how would you want him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogbs19
After SR and Lex -- I for one don't want another brains vs. brawn setup.
Yes, I want to see **** breaking and fist flying

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #52
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo
it could be awesome if done right.
Yep...I think it would be awesome too. It would also be cooler to see another "popular" villian from the Superman universe than just the most popular.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #53
elvislennon2005
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentok
New Villian....

No it would be his hair killing him and then Superman and then it goes for the rest of the world......HELP US!!!!!!

I want Doomsday to be just as he was in the comics. Looks, Act and the power that was in the comics. That should be the Doomsday. Oh, please don't have him talk.

I know of no reason,
Why the gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot.
elvislennon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #54
explode7
Banned User

I think that having Doomsday will look too much like a rip off of the HULK.

explode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #55
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by explode7
I think that having Doomsday will look too much like a rip off of the HULK.
Hmmm...I can see that, but Singer doesn't seem like that type of director. He's more into realistic action and that is why the Hulk failed in that department...IMO. It was too much eye-candy.

I don't trust Singer and his cahorts story telling abilites, but I do not think he would go the route of Hulk as far as FX goes.

edit:

If Singer sticks with his favored one on one combat style like in X2 than it could work. Yet, a totally drag on the FX like in SR from the story would be bad...again.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-26-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #56
JayKay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress
Hmmm...I can see that, but Singer doesn't seem like that type of director. He's more into realistic action and that is why the Hulk failed in that department...IMO. It was too much eye-candy.
The Hulk had VERY realistic action, if you think about the context. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand had very cartoony action, and I wouldn't call that a failure.

JayKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 AM   #57
thorstone
Side-Kick

I'd give the character somewhat gorilla like proportions and use the New Krypton origin to make a wink to Titano.

I wouldn't give the character hair-- he should be all inorganic matter, completely elemental.

Last edited by thorstone; 11-29-2006 at 03:04 AM.
thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:20 AM   #58
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay
The Hulk had VERY realistic action, if you think about the context. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand had very cartoony action, and I wouldn't call that a failure.
Perhaps, but it was hard to pick up on the realism because of the mutated dogs, mutated father, and overly done CG HULK.

Spiderman on the other hand appeared more real because the action took place during things that were familiar. Yes it was cartoony action, but it seemed more real because Spiderman was doing regular stuff at the time. If I recall correctly, the Hulk always seemed to be in these wierd situations that just didn't feel "real". I guess, the contrivance to get to the action made it seem less real. Does that make sense?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #59
X Knight
Straight Edge

actually.....I think part of the problem with the CG Hulk was that it was inconsistent throughout the film.

In some scenes, the Hulk looked amazingly real! Yet, in others, he looked really cartoony! And, this did not occur chronologically in the film. IOW, the Hulk didn't look more real as the film progressed. It was like, in one scene he is very real looking, then in the next scene he looks cartoony. So, the cartoony CG stood out more.

X Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #60
JayKay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-bats
actually.....I think part of the problem with the CG Hulk was that it was inconsistent throughout the film.

In some scenes, the Hulk looked amazingly real! Yet, in others, he looked really cartoony! And, this did not occur chronologically in the film. IOW, the Hulk didn't look more real as the film progressed. It was like, in one scene he is very real looking, then in the next scene he looks cartoony. So, the cartoony CG stood out more.
I didn't see any inconsistency in the film, the only time the CGI was really bad was when he was in shadows so it didn't matter.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #61
JayKay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress
Spiderman on the other hand appeared more real because the action took place during things that were familiar. Yes it was cartoony action, but it seemed more real because Spiderman was doing regular stuff at the time. If I recall correctly, the Hulk always seemed to be in these wierd situations that just didn't feel "real". I guess, the contrivance to get to the action made it seem less real. Does that make sense?
The contrivance in Hulk was not worse than SM2, the action in SM2 literally served no purpose.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #62
thorstone
Side-Kick

"In some scenes, the Hulk looked amazingly real! Yet, in others, he looked really cartoony"

I agree, that is the fault of using CGI. I want Doomsday to be done in the most practical ways possible. The computers would be used to put together the maps and blue screen work.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #63
GreenKToo
In the fire

They need to get that idea out of their heads, thinking the public wants realism.If I want realism I'll turn on the news...I go to the theater to believe in the impossible,not to have my hero grounded in realism....I mean come on,its about a man who can fly,and shoot heat out of his eyes..

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #64
thorstone
Side-Kick

I don't think it's any secret noone wants to see Superman do something like go to the middle East or throw all the world's nukes into the sun (again).

I personally think the Superman movies have all made the big mistake of making Superman so powerful it makes it difficult to suspend disbelief that somehow there is still chaos on Earth despite the fact Superman can dig an island out of the ocean and throw it into space. He can still be the most powerful super hero and not be so damned unbelievably strong.

I think the plane scene in Returns is more on the level of where I'd stop Superman's strength. Otherwise he would punch Doomsday one time and blow his head off.

The character has gone from, "he can leap tall buildings in a single bound" to him being somewhat telekenetic allowing him to fly without physically pushing off of anything.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #65
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone
I don't think it's any secret noone wants to see Superman do something like go to the middle East or throw all the world's nukes into the sun (again).

I personally think the Superman movies have all made the big mistake of making Superman so powerful it makes it difficult to suspend disbelief that somehow there is still chaos on Earth despite the fact Superman can dig an island out of the ocean and throw it into space. He can still be the most powerful super hero and not be so damned unbelievably strong.

I think the plane scene in Returns is more on the level of where I'd stop Superman's strength. Otherwise he would punch Doomsday one time and blow his head off.

The character has gone from, "he can leap tall buildings in a single bound" to him being somewhat telekenetic allowing him to fly without physically pushing off of anything.
For me, you hit the nail on the head of why Singer went wrong.

He tried to show Superman fighting an unwinnable situation. Yet, he didn't show Superman. IMO, you cannot have one without the other. If you are going to make Clark/Superman a wimp, than one of them during alter-ego presence needs to step up to be a man.

Singer de-penised Supes, and made him chump. That will ground any sort of FX because who wants to believe a chump can fly?

edit:

As for the HULK. Those who think it was something else than contrived action should watch that movie again! It was all something totally set up to make him BB angry. It wasn't smooth. It wasn't cute. It wasn't real. It was just contrived, so when the mutated dogs finally came on the scene there was no pay off or anything like that.

Anyway, who cares about a movie that is sort of good on one aspect, but fails on another totally. Well...I guess I do since that is what happen to SR

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-29-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #66
X Knight
Straight Edge

interestingly.........I actually liked Ang's Hulk story, but I thought it was poorly translated/executed on the screen. SR, on the other hand, I actually thought it was well executed ( in terms of visuals and tone ), but I didn't care for the story.......

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #67
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-bats
interestingly.........I actually liked Ang's Hulk story, but I thought it was poorly translated/executed on the screen. SR, on the other hand, I actually thought it was well executed ( in terms of visuals and tone ), but I didn't care for the story.......
In actuality, you are saying what I am saying. The director's vision didn't translate the character properly, so you as the viewer felt the character was skewed.

Different strokes...diffrent folks....

Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #68
X Knight
Straight Edge

one could also say that both Ang and Singer were "blinded" by their vision that they failed to capture the "essence" of their respective characters.

That picture of Trump earlier reminded me of one the Apprentice episodes. It was either in the 2nd or 3rd season, but the task called for the teams to go to Harlem and create a giant graffitti wall ad for a new Playstation racing game.

The Project Manager ( PM ) of one of the teams happened to be African American woman. Perhaps because of this, she wanted her wall picture to be more than an ad for a game. She wanted it to be symbolic and representative. That was her vision, and she formed that very early on, and made her team carry out that vision.

In the end, her team's ad WAS visually superior to the other team's ad. However, it FAILED to connect to the audience, as it didn't really SPEAK TO THE GAME. IOW, it didn't tell viewers what made the game interesting ( why they should be excited and buy it ). Consequently, her team LOST the project.

When I watched that episode, I immediately thought of Ang and Singer. I felt that was what happened to Ang with Hulk, and I feared that was what will happen to Singer with Superman.

IMO, Ang wanted to make an "artsy" movie, with flighty dream-like sequences and comic book style transitions. However, in doing so, perhaps he lost site of the SCARY, NIGHTMARISH, MONSTER quality of his character.

Likewise, with Singer, perhaps he was so blinded by tying his movie to the original Donner movies that he could not make an original movie of his own. And, he also lost site of the character of Superman, and what he stands for, not just his fancy powers.........

All in my opinion of course.....

Old 12-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #69
thorstone
Side-Kick

Old 12-05-2006, 12:28 PM   #70
thechubbysaint
Side-Kick

This is how I see him.

thechubbysaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #71
Venomfan
Side-Kick

doomsday should be used to kill super kid. and then go on to fight superman where they kill eachother. also i think it would be cool that at the end when superman dies, have the next movie be like this 52 thing(im not reading it, but i was told about it, so i may be wrong) and have the next movie but an entire movie of how all the secondary characters and the world is dealing with supermans death and him being gone, and then at the very end he likes rises out of the grave or something and you just like see his back and the supes theme kicks in. the end

Venomfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #72
Antonello Blueberry
Inglorious bastard

The Kid gets some kind of alien virus brought to Earth by Brainiac and becomes Doomsday, and Superman is forced to kill him...

Antonello Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #73
thorstone
Side-Kick

Lol, you guys really hate Superboy.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #74
thorstone
Side-Kick

What about the third film being called, The Man of Tomorrow?

Old 01-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #75
Jimmy, GL
Wants a GL movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Lol, you guys really hate Superboy.

Don't call him that. The kid shouldn't exist. He takes away the focus from Supe's and puts all on himself just by being there. I hope he only makes minor appearences until they can get a new director.

Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
Jimmy, GL is offline   Reply With Quote