The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: does Supes need a new haircut/hairstyle for the sequel?
YES! it's too long! 58 44.27%
NO! he looks perfect! 30 22.90%
Who cares? THIS POLL SHOULD DIE AND BURN IN THE FIREY DEPTHS OF HELL!!! 43 32.82%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #101
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman should be built like a Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle
Kak... it's the same costume. Different lighting.
IF that was the original suit, Singer needs to be b***h slapped for making it so dark in the movie.

Super Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #102
sithgoblin
King of the Castle

I don't think Superman should be ripped. It doesn't matter, it will never show through his costume. The only way they'd achieve the ripped look of the comics while he's in costume is if he were a body painted nude.

If he builds more mass that will help him look bigger overall. And they can use tricks like they did on Spider-man, and air brush muscle definition on the suit.

sithgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #103
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithgoblin
I don't think Superman should be ripped. It doesn't matter, it will never show through his costume. The only way they'd achieve the ripped look of the comics while he's in costume is if he were a body painted nude.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #104
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

Somebody get Singer on the phone.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #105
WormyT
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think he DOES need to be ripped. Or at least be as big as that actor in 300. Rouths suit definitely does NOTHING for his muscle definition but I still feel hes a tad too skinny. Like someone said earlier it didn't help that the story required him to be a cry baby and door mat. It could also be the face. It's weird, I'm not a huge smallville fan but how is it Welling can be both dorky yet menacing at the same time. Both actors could kick the snot out of me in a heartbeat but I'd rather fight Routh if I had to choose who my A$$ kicker was going to be. Wellings just massive like Reeves was back in the day.
Quote:
If he builds more mass that will help him look bigger overall. And they can use tricks like they did on Spider-man, and air brush muscle definition on the suit.
I think he needs more bulk yep, not sure about the airbrush technique for definition though. It works on spidey because hes got the webbing to mask the fake muscle tone illusion somewhat. Theres a lot of negative space on Supes suit.

WormyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #106
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

too skinny?

bullocks...i'm more than sure if they gave him a suit that accentuated his body instead of detracted from it we wouldn't be having this discussion. and i'm also pretty sure that IF they do it right and have Routh get his ideal build BEFORE they start making the suit for the next one we won't be having a repeat discussion when SR2 comes out.

DorkyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #107
Super Kal
Side-Kick

it wasn't Routh's fault... it was the suit that constricted him.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #108
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

agreed...look at what a few tweaks and a new hairstyle can do to make his upper body look bigger.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #109
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

^I don't see any difference.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #110
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

most people won't. only us who pay uber attention to the details will...

Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #111
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh
agreed...look at what a few tweaks and a new hairstyle can do to make his upper body look bigger.

I really like the one on the right...

Old 12-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #112
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:

After comparing them in photostudio, aalso by putting them into layers, the one on the left with the longer hair has more upper body than the one on the left with the shorter hair.

You flattened his shoulders and cape, thinned out his neck and raised his trunks.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #113
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

more upper body shown doesn't mean his upper body looks bigger. the one on the left makes his upper body look longer, thus making him look skinnier. the one on the right makes his upper body look wider, making his upper body look more muscular.

and...i didn't thin out his neck. i just took some of his hair off.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #114
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I know its old, but I still maintain that the high neckline on the suit made his body look puny, because Routh was friggin huge in size, maybe even a little more than Reeve.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #115
Lobster Charlie
Side-Kick

Routh ain't that big. He's got some decent definition, but Superman could still use another 20lbs of just plain bulk. He's way too streamlined to play The Man Of Steel.

Bale looked more diesel in the scene on the poles in Batman Begins, during his training. He was cut, but not ridiculously sculpted. But most of all, he had that confidence that came across in every movement he did.

It's also true that the SR suit was a complete disgrace, and his haircut was just stupid. But we all know by now that SR was less about Superman and his legions of fans, and more about Bryan Singer laming up yet another superhero movie franchise.

Lobster Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #116
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster Charlie
Routh ain't that big. He's got some decent definition, but Superman could still use another 20lbs of just plain bulk. He's way too streamlined to play The Man Of Steel.

Bale looked more diesel in the scene on the poles in Batman Begins, during his training. He was cut, but not ridiculously sculpted. But most of all, he had that confidence that came across in every movement he did.

It's also true that the SR suit was a complete disgrace, and his haircut was just stupid. But we all know by now that SR was less about Superman and his legions of fans, and more about Bryan Singer laming up yet another superhero movie franchise.
or that last part could be your opinion? I agree with the hair. I agree with the suit. The work that DF did with photoshop you can really see the difference. Bale was cut as batman but he wasnt huge. Welling pretty much has the perfect Superman Build. Welling and Routh are pretty much the same height, but i guarantee Welling outweighs him by 10 to 15 lbs. As for the spartans at the top of this thread. Cut is not big. He was cut he wasnt big. I believe Superman should have some form of definition of course. I think Routh needs to put on another 15 lbs so he can be that 225 that supes is supposed to be. But Superman shouldnt be about muscle definiton so much as sheer size. Thats why welling is perfect. Welling is really all that defined either but he just has that body type. But I think Routh could have it too. Just needs a hair more work, and the costume needs to not be so damn constricting.

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 PM   #117
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
another problem is Routh's hair. the hairstylist should've made his hair shorter. longer hair makes his head look bigger which makes him, as a whole, look smaller. i showed how his hair can make him look bigger and more masculine just by cutting it.

I agee 100%

That was one of my few beefs with the movie, the hair.

And the low ride undies

Old 12-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #118
DvilDog
Side-Kick

yeah they definitly need to do something with the trunks

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #119
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

the biggest problem with the trunks isn't so much it's size, it's the way they were cut. when you lift your leg...you form a natural fold at your hips and that's where the trunks should've been cut, but whoever designed made it so that the cut went from his crotch almost straight to the side. that's the biggest flaw of it.....of course, the other flaw was that it was too low cut.

both of those problems were addressed in my manip....and kudos to those who agree with me on the hair and the suit.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 PM   #120
matthooper
Side-Kick

I have a question for the people who think Superman should be ripped. My question is...why?

He is Kryptonian, his molecular structure and the relationship with our sun is the source of his power, not his muscles. I doubt that Superman is working hard in the gym, which to him would be like lifting buses like dumbbells or benchpressing houses. It simply doesn't make sense. As much as I was dissapointed in Superman Returns, Routh looked fine for the part.

matthooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 AM   #121
FanboyX_Returns
Banned User

Spoiler Re: Superman should be built like a Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel
dude, rouths arms were about twice the size of that dudes.
Yeah but his thin frame, and his sucky suit ruined his Superman look... For me anyway.

FanboyX_Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #122
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthooper
I have a question for the people who think Superman should be ripped. My question is...why?

He is Kryptonian, his molecular structure and the relationship with our sun is the source of his power, not his muscles. I doubt that Superman is working hard in the gym, which to him would be like lifting buses like dumbbells or benchpressing houses. It simply doesn't make sense. As much as I was dissapointed in Superman Returns, Routh looked fine for the part.
There's a reason they call it a "superhero bod". Women are subjected to standards of beauty all the time. Now we have superheroes, why should they not get the same deal? If they're supposed to be the perfect individuals, they should look it.

I suppose in Superman's case in SR you could argue that he was stuck in a space pod for five years and as such he must've lost a lot of definition. He needs more time lifting islands and such to get back his muscle.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:33 AM   #123
Brainiac 2009
Banned User

Sometimes alot of you whiney fanboys sound like women too.

Brainiac 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #124
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

ANY suit they put on him, even if its straight up spandex, is gonna cause muscle constraint and take away some definition.

i think something that would help is if they opened the neck line of the suit...it would make his shoulder apear much more broad.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #125
Brainiac 2009
Banned User

One way or the other, it looks like he has alot of working out to do for the sequel. recent pic:

Brainiac 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote