The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #51
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight









??????????

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #52
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

[quote=Memphis Slim]You got a point. And if it is glaringly obvious who is the most talented, you gotta push him up front to sell records.

The Jacksons..... Michael



Now Jermaine had talent and even had a few hits.

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #53
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Slim
??????????
Ok I know your like WTF....

Wild Cherry "Play that funk music , white boy"

Queen "Another one bits the dust." Actually got air play on Black radio when most white djs passed on it.

And this guy's theme....


__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #54
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Soul II Soul is a 2-time Grammy winning act that emerged at the end of the 80s from London. The group initially attracted attention as a sound system, playing records at house and street parties (where their clothing style - dubbed "Funki Dred" - quickly made a splash, inspiring them to start a line of clothing). Founded by Jazzie B and featuring a changing roster of other musicians - notably Nellee Hooper and Caron Wheeler - Soul II Soul's experiments in music-making of their own resulted in the dub plate "Fairplay," which secured them a deal with Virgin Records. They had huge hits in 1989 with the singles "Keep on Movin'" and "Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)," both from their debut album Club Classics Vol. I. These songs (both featuring Wheeler on vocals) set the tone for early 90s mainstream dance music in the UK.
Their follow-up album, Vol. II: 1990 - A New Decade, yielded the hits "Get A Life" and "A Dream's A Dream," the latter featuring operatic vocals by Victoria Wilson-James. While their U.S. following declined somewhat following its release, Soul II Soul continued to have hits in the UK, including 1992's top 10 single, "Joy."
Soul II Soul reached Volume 5 of their series for Virgin in 1995, then released 2 more albums for Island Records.
In October 2004 Keep On Movin appeared in popular videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on R&B, Soul radio station CSR 103.9.



When Caron left it was not the same for them.

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #55
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
Soul II Soul is a 2-time Grammy winning act that emerged at the end of the 80s from London. The group initially attracted attention as a sound system, playing records at house and street parties (where their clothing style - dubbed "Funki Dred" - quickly made a splash, inspiring them to start a line of clothing). Founded by Jazzie B and featuring a changing roster of other musicians - notably Nellee Hooper and Caron Wheeler - Soul II Soul's experiments in music-making of their own resulted in the dub plate "Fairplay," which secured them a deal with Virgin Records. They had huge hits in 1989 with the singles "Keep on Movin'" and "Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)," both from their debut album Club Classics Vol. I. These songs (both featuring Wheeler on vocals) set the tone for early 90s mainstream dance music in the UK.
Their follow-up album, Vol. II: 1990 - A New Decade, yielded the hits "Get A Life" and "A Dream's A Dream," the latter featuring operatic vocals by Victoria Wilson-James. While their U.S. following declined somewhat following its release, Soul II Soul continued to have hits in the UK, including 1992's top 10 single, "Joy."
Soul II Soul reached Volume 5 of their series for Virgin in 1995, then released 2 more albums for Island Records.
In October 2004 Keep On Movin appeared in popular videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, playing on R&B, Soul radio station CSR 103.9.



When Caron left it was not the same for them.

That whole black British Invasion was nice in the late 80's. Maxi Preist, Loose Ends, Vertical Hold, Carron Wheeler....... Jazzie B and Company were beat out by Milli Vanilli that first year. They got the grammy by default when it was discovered they didn't sing.

I lost all respect for award shows after Soul II Soul lost to Rob and Fab.

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #56
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
Ok I know your like WTF....

Wild Cherry "Play that funk music , white boy"

Queen "Another one bits the dust." Actually got air play on Black radio when most white djs passed on it.

And this guy's theme....


Okay.......I've rarely seen a picture of Wild Cherry.

The Queen cut did get a lot of play in black circles.

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #57
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

BEST.SOUNDTRACK.EVER.


__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #58
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Issac Hayes has some of the best music I have ever heard...

His Look Of Love from Dead President...no words for it.


__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #59
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
BEST.SOUNDTRACK.EVER.


I beg to differ on that my brotha'.......



This was the soundtrack to the movie of the same title. The movie never got released. But the rest is history.

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #60
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
Issac Hayes has some of the best music I have ever heard...

His Look Of Love from Dead President...no words for it.


A Memphis home boy!!! Yea buddy....... He could stretch out an intro....LOL "Walk on By"......"The Love of Love....." Hayes was cool.

I guess nobody else like this music but us???

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #61
AllThingsComic
I'm ya Huckleberry!
 
AllThingsComic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

had a few good hits


__________________
Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

I.N.W.T. In Nolan We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarr View Post
VH1 is now the home of the Headbanger's Ball. If you'd told me that would be the case back in the mid-80's I'd probably have punched you in the face.

jag

Last edited by AllThingsComic; 12-13-2006 at 01:41 PM.
AllThingsComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #62
AllThingsComic
I'm ya Huckleberry!
 
AllThingsComic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

jones'ed big time on this chick


__________________
Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

I.N.W.T. In Nolan We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarr View Post
VH1 is now the home of the Headbanger's Ball. If you'd told me that would be the case back in the mid-80's I'd probably have punched you in the face.

jag
AllThingsComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #63
AllThingsComic
I'm ya Huckleberry!
 
AllThingsComic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

and let us not forget


__________________
Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

I.N.W.T. In Nolan We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarr View Post
VH1 is now the home of the Headbanger's Ball. If you'd told me that would be the case back in the mid-80's I'd probably have punched you in the face.

jag
AllThingsComic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #64
Armand Z Trip
Recalcitrant
 
Armand Z Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wong's Lost and Found Emporium
Posts: 2,199
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Smokey Robinson and the Miraces, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Temptations, Parliament Funkadelic, The Drifters, The Platters, Sam Cooke, Prince and the Revolution, The Family, The Time.

What was Caron Wheeler's music like after Soul II Soul? I remember magazine ads for Beach of the War Goddess, but I never heard anything.

__________________
Nothing contributes so much to tranquilizing the mind as a steady purpose - a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye.
Armand Z Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #65
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand Z Trip
Smokey Robinson and the Miraces, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Temptations, Parliament Funkadelic, The Drifters, The Platters, Sam Cooke, Prince and the Revolution, The Family, The Time.

What was Caron Wheeler's music like after Soul II Soul? I remember magazine ads for Beach of the War Goddess, but I never heard anything.
Let's just say Soul 2 Soul and Caron need each other.

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #66
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Slim
I beg to differ on that my brotha'.......



This was the soundtrack to the movie of the same title. The movie never got released. But the rest is history.

Ummmm who got this for best soundtrack....

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #67
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsComic
and let us not forget

On the midnight train to GA. Still one of thier best hits.

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #68
GunBlade
Side-Kick
 
GunBlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,425
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Anyone remember Bootsy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edW55BcLMr4

lmao

__________________
Maybe there is no actual place called hell. Maybe hell is just having to listen to our grandparents breathe through their noses when they're eating sandwiches. - Jim Carrey
GunBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #69
The Storm
Side-Kick
 
The Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: House of Shia
Posts: 4,299
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Slim


Nuff said........
I grew up on these and the legend called Stevie Wonder. Plus many more...

__________________
'under construction'


The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #70
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Now Stevie Wonder that man is a God among Insects.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHLIhi8bgiM

And if u don't believe me check these 2 videos from the Master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIsYD...elated&search=

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #71
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
Ummmm who got this for best soundtrack....

As I said...the movie never got released. Therefore, EWF couldn't be put in that category. But it was a movie sound track never the less. A little FYI trivia for ya'.

And it won a grammy.

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #72
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Slim
As I said...the movie never got released. Therefore, EWF couldn't be put in that category. But it was a movie sound track never the less. A little FYI trivia for ya'.

And it won a grammy.
I was wondering when u would show up...I love EMF but still It's Shaft.

__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #73
SoulManX
The Inspector!
 
SoulManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Check the avvy...
Posts: 11,015
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

One of Mr. Wonder's great album.


__________________
Lots of nefarious actors in this international drama.
SoulManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #74
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
I was wondering when u would show up...I love EMF but still It's Shaft.

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #75
Memphis Slim
Banned User
 
Memphis Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,999
Default Re: The Funk, Soul, R&B Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHardKnight
One of Mr. Wonder's great album.


This is when he started experimenting with synthesizers. Gordy wasn't o keen on this "new" direction. This turned out to be a masterpiece.

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.