The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 02-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #326
WorthyStevens
Green Man

Default Re: Cyclops Returns(Old Thread Closed)

Quote:
Reporter: Were you witness to any major backlash about killing those two prominent characters in X-Men?

Winter: Not much, really. It was shocking, so we tried to keep it a secret so you wouldn't know about it before the movie came out, though a summary of the script was leaked online pretty early on.
Good idea. Even though you know Cyclops' fate will upset the fans, keep it secret, so that you can basically cheat Cyclops fans out of their money.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #327
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Cyclops Returns(Old Thread Closed)

Does anyone remember when Marsden was casted as Jesse Custer? Jesse Custer is a character from the graphic novel The Preacher. He was officially casted, make-up tests were done, but as a whole the project remained in developmental hell.

I think if "Preacher" had been made into a film and was taken seriously, it could've garnered him a possible Academy Award Nomination/Win. The material is amazing and Jesse is a complex character.

It would've been a wonderful thing to see James play such a dark, complex, and interesting character. It's a shame he never got the chance to do so.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #328
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Cyclops Returns(Old Thread Closed)

I will say James doesn't look much like Jesse Custer. However, in terms of the story and in terms of the material I believe he could've pulled it off amazingly.

In the end, this is on topic and did involve Marsden at one point. For those who want to find out more about the Preacher, here is some information about the story.

Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a down-and-out preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer was accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named 'Genesis' in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church.

Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the universe.

Custer, driven by a strong sense of right and wrong, goes on a journey across the United States attempting to (literally) find God, who abandoned Heaven the moment Genesis was born. He also begins to discover the truth about his new powers, which allow him to command the obedience of those who hear his words. He is joined by his old girlfriend Tulip O'Hare, as well as a hard-drinking Irish vampire named Cassidy.

During the course of their journeys, the three encounter enemies and obstacles both sacred and profane, including: the Saint of Killers, an invincible, quick-drawing, perfect-aiming, come-lately Angel of Death answering only to the authority of God Himself; a serial-killer called the 'Reaver-Cleaver'; The Grail, a secret organization controlling the governments of the world and protecting the bloodline of Jesus; Herr Starr, ostensible Allfather of the Grail, a megalomaniac with a penchant for prostitutes, who wishes to use Custer for his own ends; several fallen angels; and Jesse's own redneck 'family' particularly his nasty Cajun grandmother, her mighty bodyguard Jody, and the 'animal-loving' T.C.

For several years, a film adaptation by View Askew Productions was in the works, with James Marsden attached to play the lead. The project never materialized, although production got so far as to begin make up tests for the Arseface character, gruesome pictures of which can be found online. At one point, Samuel L. Jackson, a comic book fan, expressed interest in playing the Saint of Killers.

In May of 2006, rumors began circulating that the cable TV network HBO might produce an adaptation of Preacher. In late November, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed this, reporting that the network was developing a one-hour series with executive producers Mark Steven Johnson and Howard Deutch, the writing-directing team that brought us Grumpier Old Men. Johnson will also write the pilot.

Mark Steven Johnson told SCI FI Wire that he plans to turn each issue of the comic into a single episode, which will be as close to the original source material as possible. "I gave [HBO] the comics, and I said, 'Every issue is an hour,'" Johnson said at a preview of his upcoming film Ghost Rider in Hollywood, Calif., on Nov. 30. "And it's exactly the book. ... I had my meeting yesterday, and Garth Ennis is on the phone, and we're all in the room, and Garth is like, 'You don't have to be so beholden to the comic.' And I'm like, 'No, no, no. It's got to be like the comic.' So that's what's so brilliant about it. It's just like, HBO, who else would do it but them? Nobody. ... HBO is just like, 'Bring it on.'" Johnson has also confirmed that this will include the various one-shots and mini-series.

Considering what Mark Steven Johnson did to Ghost Rider, I'm very concerned about him even being near the concept. Still would've been nice to see Marsden play the title role though.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #329
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

If anyone needs their James Marsden fix, there are some new photos from Hairspray up at Broadwayworld.com:

http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=16093

He's in the 4th picture down, and in another cast photo a little further down.

FYI, he's playing Corny Collins, who's the host of a popular dance show in Baltimore in 1962. The story is about an overweight girl who finally gets a chance (she's a great dancer) to be on this show, and attempts to de-segregate it so all the kids have a chance to dance on TV.

Corny had 2 songs in the show, not sure if they cut anything for the movie. I hear he's a great singer, so I'm looking forward to it. I saw the Broadway version twice.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #330
Bastila
Deathdealer

I heard the soundtrack when is the show going to come to the west end!.
But I saw the film, but I hope he gets more songs

Oh he looks handson in that picture love it.

LACUNA COIL
The cold never bothered me anyway

''For six centuries I was a loyal soldier to the vampire clan. But I was betrayed''
Bastila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #331
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastila View Post
I heard the soundtrack when is the show going to come to the west end!.
But I saw the film, but I hope he gets more songs
It's not a huge part, but it does sound like both of his songs will be in the movie. That group shot looks like it's part of Corny's song "Nicest Kids in Town," which is one of the first songs in the show.

His other song is actually the title song, "Hairspray," so I'm assuming that stays, although to be honest, it's not a great song. But Corny was part of the finale, "You Can't Stop the Beat," which is an awesome song, so it all works out.

I haven't heard anything about it opening in the West End yet. Strange!!

Quote:
Oh he looks handson in that picture love it.
He is totally cute.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #332
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
If anyone needs their James Marsden fix
I don't need a James Marsden fix, I need a Cyclops fix.

It's a shame how badly Cyclops got screwed over in the series.

He had a pretty good role in X-Men. His screentime was limited in X2, but served the story, and it was quality film time when he was around. James' performance at the end of X2, during Jean's sacrifice, proved that he definatley had the acting chops to be able to pull off a top notch, dramatic performance, that Cyclops SHOULD have had in X-Men: The Last Stand.

While I do highly enjoy the very limited screentime Cyclops has in X-Men: The Last Stand (I think Marsden was again brilliant in his 3 scenes), he got screwed over royally. I still can't believe that it actually happened, and it's closing on a year now since it was official, and even longer since it was hinted, rumored, and "confirmed" with the AICN script.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #333
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Stand.

While I do highly enjoy the very limited screentime Cyclops has in X-Men: The Last Stand (I think Marsden was again brilliant in his 3 scenes), he got screwed over royally. I still can't believe that it actually happened, and it's closing on a year now since it was official, and even longer since it was hinted, rumored, and "confirmed" with the AICN script.
And that alone, all of its other massive problems notwithstanding, is why I simply could not stomach TLS.

I don't think the loss of Cyclops amounts to fanboy whining, nitpicking or creative disagreements. The Phoenix narrative succeeds and fails on his shoulders. Atomizing those shoulders atomizes a worthwhile tale.

And that is why TLS ultimately fails. It shoehorns "Logan the hero" into a role tailor-made (not just by the comics, but the films themselves) for Scott. And the emotional weight of the tale crumbles under that terrible little bit of Freaky Friday writing.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:50 AM   #334
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

In short, TLS is all about Logan, not X-Men as it should be.
Just look at the ending, I thought I was watching Van Helsing again, so uncreative.

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
UraniaChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 AM   #335
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

James Marsden, who used to make his time on the X-Men films, has a Best Supporting Actor nod for "Superman Returns" while co-star Parker Posey earned a nod in the Supporting Actress side.

source:http://www.syfyportal.com/news423279.html

Congratulations, James.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #336
DarthCyclopsRLZ
Side-Kick

@LastSunrise:

Finally picked up on my sig????

ROTFLMAO!!!

Rock on, buddy. Rock on.

X4 parody done X3 style: Hellfire's Wrath - The Epic Stand!!!

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...hellfire+wrath
DarthCyclopsRLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #337
batboy99
BTVS

i think they are making preacher into an hbo series

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #338
MsNatchios
Cyclops groupie

Damn...I keep hoping James will sign on to some new projects, but it's been nothing for a while now.

MsNatchios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #339
batboy99
BTVS

i cant wait for hairspray

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #340
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Maybe he wants a break, spends more time with his family, though I do want to see James on big screen, mostly I can only get to see him on DVD, I'm hoping that 'Enchanted' will be in theaters in my country.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #341
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Hey guys, what'd I miss? I haven't posted in here in WAY too long.

By the way, if there's anyone still around after my recent 3 MONTH HIATUS who was reading my post-X3 fanfic story (The Fires of Resurrection), Chapter 24 just went up.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2979669/24/

Soooo, yeah. Cyclops. I heard he returns in the final battle...

Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #342
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post
And that alone, all of its other massive problems notwithstanding, is why I simply could not stomach TLS.

I don't think the loss of Cyclops amounts to fanboy whining, nitpicking or creative disagreements. The Phoenix narrative succeeds and fails on his shoulders. Atomizing those shoulders atomizes a worthwhile tale.

And that is why TLS ultimately fails. It shoehorns "Logan the hero" into a role tailor-made (not just by the comics, but the films themselves) for Scott. And the emotional weight of the tale crumbles under that terrible little bit of Freaky Friday writing.
I agree that is my biggest complaint with the film. Obviously, it didn't effect me the way it did you (as I still highly enjoy the film), but that aspect of the film does bother me.

It was the one thing I didn't want to happen when I heard about it (that, and the Storm & Wolverine love affair, which thankfully never happened), and it did happen. The first couple times I saw the film, I couldn't truly enjoy the final sequence with Wolverine and Jean because it wasn't Scott.

I've since been able to get past it, and on it's own, I think it's a great scene. But it's nothing compared to what it could have been had that been Cyclops.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #343
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Reporter: Were you witness to any major backlash about killing those two prominent characters in X-Men?

Winter: Not much, really.
Sounds like we obviously failed to do our jobs then.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #344
gambitfire
Banned User

^LOL!!!

Not according to some of the other posters around here.

gambitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #345
DarthCyclopsRLZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2 View Post
Hey guys, what'd I miss? I haven't posted in here in WAY too long.

By the way, if there's anyone still around after my recent 3 MONTH HIATUS who was reading my post-X3 fanfic story (The Fires of Resurrection), Chapter 24 just went up.
Good stuff.

If only x-movie characters had 1/10th of the characterization...

Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #346
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Ntcrawler you're back!!! just in time too, as i have run out of panels.

Ooh, I remember when you first unveiled that initial page on here. Very nice. You've really captured a lot of the stuff that the fans envisioned when they talked about Scott possibly returning for the big finale.

I was also really fond of the ones you did that showed him surviving his encounter with Jean at the lake. Do you have a page where there's a collection of your artwork somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthCyclopsRLZ View Post
Good stuff.

If only x-movie characters had 1/10th of the characterization...
Thanks a ton for the kind words! Now hopefully it won't take me another 3 months to finish the last 2 chapters...

Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #347
Rac
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhePhe112 View Post
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/PhePhe112/003-1.jpg

"Then I got call from Fox saying that they were ready to go on X-Men, had a script that they liked, had a couple of fabulous directors in mind and that I had a great role in the movie."

(In concept, Jean killing Scott as Dark Phoenix, showing that she doesn't even care for the one she loves so much sounds good, but the way it was handled in the movie (and script) was very poor. It was like Scott were some random henchman.)

Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #348
DarthCyclopsRLZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post

(In concept, Jean killing Scott as Dark Phoenix, showing that she doesn't even care for the one she loves so much sounds good, but the way it was handled in the movie (and script) was very poor. It was like Scott were some random henchman.)
Bah.

I would've been a good concept if she'd shown the same ruthlessness to EVERYONE ELSE.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #349
Rac
Deadite

And Magneto would have ripped Wolverine's adamantium out. Leave everyone dead, powerless, shait, broken or just plain miserable.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #350
Goddessreicho
Side-Kick

Check out my fic, new chap is up. I hope Cyke fans like it. The next part coming up should put smiles on faces. Hit the link in my sig.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Rest peacefully Mum
April 10th 1946
March 31st 2007

Goddessreicho is offline   Reply With Quote