The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 08-12-2007, 12:26 AM   #726
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Default Re: Cyclops Returns(Old Thread Closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UraniaChang View Post
This is one thing I always find it ridiculous, what right does Logan have to resent or feel bitter towards Scott?
When did Logan feel bitter towards Scott in X3? He seemed to be the only one to care about Cyke when he questioned Jean about his whereabouts, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedFB
But in X3, he goes back to chasing after her and confessing his love which is disrespectful of Scott's memory AND her own wishes and feelings...
If it's disrespectful, then it also means that people can never end a relationship or start a new one if a partner dies. In the real world, there are doubts, love triangles, betrayals, marriages that break down, people who hurt. It happens all the time, actually, and it can happen in a fictional world. Hell, Jean and Scott's relationship ended in the comics. But you all talk as if movieverse Scott and Jean had the perfect relationship of everlasting pure love. And as if Jean was an innocent little girl seduced by the big bad wolf.
So yes, Jean loved Scott. Yes, she told Logan that, but she never really sounded too convincing. Yes, maybe she had doubts about their relationship. Yes, she didn't love Logan, she never told him that, but she was attracted to him. And Logan loved her. I don't care if it was only a week, a day, if it was forced, if she reminded him of another woman, if he was just greatful that she was someone who had read his mind and understood a bit what he had gone through...whatever. It happened, and maybe he was obnoxious about it, but it was never just animal lust. I resent deeply that notion that Scott and Jean are capable of feeling love, but Logan is a dumb animal who's only interested in sex.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 08-12-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #727
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
When did Logan feel bitter towards Scott in X3? He seemed to be the only one to care about Cyke when he questioned Jean about his whereabouts, anyway.
Agreed.

Personally I just think the continued Logan-loves-Jean storyline was a mistake. I don't take issue with him still having feelings for her; I take issue with it being a huge driving force in his actions in this movie. Supposedly we're seeing Logan stepping up in leadership, but half the time it seems he's only involved because of Jean. In the end of X2 Logan implied he was going to move on from Jean (heck, in the beginning of X3 he's telling Scott to move on); but as soon as Jean comes back she's suddenly his focus again. IMHO it's a disservice to Logan as a character: he's just regressing to the same character from the previous movies.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #728
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

I can agree with that. Actually, even tough Logan appeared a lot in X3, I don't think he had a great role in it. When one compares Wolverine from X1/X2 to X3, it was indeed a big let down. I liked the scene where he faces the Phoenix, almost disintegrating in the process; I thought it was quite powerful. But I agree that Logan's intriguing personality was somehow changed in X3.
What I can't agree with is coming to a Cyke board and see people calling Logan an animal who can't love or feel, and is only driven by a sex impulse towards Jean. He's impulsive and has some animal instincts, yes, but he isn't only that. I'm not a Scott fan, but I respect the character and didn't like that he simply vanished without explanations in X3. All characters should be respected, I think, even the ones that are not our favorites.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #729
Pizzaboy1138
The Queen's Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
What I can't agree with is coming to a Cyke board ...
That's the thing, no?
This is the Cyke board after all.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #730
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Do you guys remember the poster who did that fanart of Cyclops surviving his encounter with Jean in X3, and then also showing up for the final battle?

I remember how much I loved that artwork, but I can't find it in this thread, nor can I remember who it was.

Is the old thread still around? Did anyone save the art, or remember who that was?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #731
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2 View Post
Do you guys remember the poster who did that fanart of Cyclops surviving his encounter with Jean in X3, and then also showing up for the final battle?

I remember how much I loved that artwork, but I can't find it in this thread, nor can I remember who it was.

Is the old thread still around? Did anyone save the art, or remember who that was?
Vilya did a lot of artwork (of the nonphotoshopped kind) about Cyke surviving.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #732
Bishop2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
Vilya did a lot of artwork (of the nonphotoshopped kind) about Cyke surviving.
Thank you deeply. I found his/her fan art thread in SHH Community.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #733
taintedFB
Side-Kick

All the complaints about Logan "loving" Jean is because he really doesn't know her or anything about her. Nearly all of their time together has been on screen, and real love takes time. That is why, as interpreted in the films, Logan's love for Jean seems superficial and more infatuation than love. Because, what does he really know about her... besides her powers, and the fact that she loves Scott and NOT him...

taintedFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #734
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Cyclops Returns(Old Thread Closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedFB View Post
All the complaints about Logan "loving" Jean is because he really doesn't know her or anything about her. Nearly all of their time together has been on screen, and real love takes time. That is why, as interpreted in the films, Logan's love for Jean seems superficial and more infatuation than love. Because, what does he really know about her... besides her powers, and the fact that she loves Scott and NOT him...
Exactly. Let's be fair, the tension has always been there in the comics and the animated series between Scott, Logan, and Jean. Logan in the comics and the animated series did fall in love with Jean and resented Scott for having her.

I feel the common misconception from those who don't understand where we're coming from is that Logan felt bitter towards Scott in X3. No, that's not the case at all. It's just after the first two films where it seemed the arc was resolved he went back to chasing her again. No one said Logan is just a mindless animal who shouldn't have feelings or love anyone, but in X3 he was a deviation from his comic book counterpart.

That's why I've always said read the comics and educate yourself on the X-Men mythologies. In X1/X2 they got the love triangle right in my opinion as the tension was there and it actually felt like it was ripped from the comics. I felt X2's closing of the arc was very true to the character of Logan.

He accepted that Jean didn't and doesn't love him. My favorite part is where Jean asks him "Are you okay?" and he looks at her "I am now." He didn't stay to chat with her or to obsess over her, he accepted his past and went on to concentrate on bigger matters at hand. Whether you're a Scott fan or not, no one can deny that his importance to the comics and to the team itself is a vital role.

In X2 I feel it should've been Scott and Logan at the mansion working together and setting aside their personal differences. It would've added a new dynamic to the story and would've shown that despite how much they hate/dislike each other, they will always respect one another and will work together for the good of the world and the team.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #735
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaboy1138 View Post
That's the thing, no?
This is the Cyke board after all.
So what? It's not a private club. And just because it's a Cyke board, is it okay for some posters to keep calling Logan an animal and so on?
I posted not out of disrespect for Cyke or his fans. I posted only to defend Logan and his feelings for Jean. As I've said, all characters should be respected, especially on boards dedicated to them. Trust me, I don't find the same courtesy in many Wolverine boards I post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981
No one said Logan is just a mindless animal who shouldn't have feelings or love anyone, but in X3 he was a deviation from his comic book counterpart.
Yes, he has been called mindless animal and worse.
And as I've already said, Logan's portrayal in X3 wasn't his best. But then, what people seem to forget is that the movieverse is based on the comicverse, but it's still a different universe.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:13 AM   #736
Bishop2
Side-Kick

1) I used to be a fan of Wolverine... and I still am, as a supporting player. The problem is that he's SO overexposed now. I loved the first X-Men movie, but the second one immediately got on my bad side because I thought the obvious thing to do was to focus on a DIFFERENT team member in the lead - maybe Storm or Cyke or someone brand-new like Nightcrawler. Instead, we get another Wolverine-focused movie. And then in the third? ANOTHER WOLVERINE MOVIE. These are team-based films, guys. If you wanna make a Wolverine movie, fine, but don't make a SUPERHERO TEAM series into a Wolverine franchise, which is basically what they did. At least in the Fantastic Four movies, they don't spend both films obsessing over The Thing just because he's the best known in comics. It's easy to start resenting Logan when he shows up in 15 different comic books and inexplicably dominates the entire film franchise. If he had gotten a supporting storyline in X2 and the lead focus had been on Storm, you think the audience would've complained? HELL no. Of course, by X3, they practically had to stick with him because they had set a sad precedent.

2) I still say that he should've gotten over Jean after the first film. Jean is about to tell him off as he lays there on the table in medlab, and he knows what's coming so he just cuts her off. I thought that was really classy - that he understood what she was going to say, got the message and didn't need to hear it word-for-word to understand. A mature move! Then the sequel comes out and he's still after her, apparently needing to be rejected a second time. That just makes him look pitiful. It's a disservice to the character and to the viewers.

3) As many people have said, the idea that Logan somehow fell in love with Jean in the movies - considering that we literally see ALL of their time together on-screen! - is pretty ludicrous. Doubly so since they have nothing in common to draw them together, he just thinks she's hot. Which was fine at first - I believe Logan would be a competitive, aggressive kind of suitor - but once he's confessing his "love" for this girl he barely knows, it's just reeeeaaaally silly. Of course, this is only one of many, many problems with X3, and we could sit here all day talking about how The Last Stand blew it.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #737
taintedFB
Side-Kick

I agree.

And seeing as this is the Cyclops thread.... My contribution to the Ultimate X-Men Card Collection:

Last edited by taintedFB; 08-24-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #738
Hugh'sMrs
Side-Kick

Wow the one on the left looks like they took a photo of Marsden and CGI'd it.

– Betty White, during her SNL opening monologue
Hugh'sMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #739
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Obviously, we are not the only ones who think James is good as Cyclops.

Thanks for the pic, taintedFB!

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
UraniaChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #740
TKing
Side-Kick

^^ From what fleeting scenes we had, James was fantastic as Cyclops.

TKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #741
taintedFB
Side-Kick

Agreed. It really is one of the few pieces of PERFECT casting in the movieverse.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:15 AM   #742
TKing
Side-Kick

Surprisingly the trilogy has picked up some of the best; Stewart, McKellen, Janssen, Marsden, Grammer and Cumming were all great choices.

It's the lack of direction/time for some actors (Paquin, Berry) that failed to make the characters believable.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #743
Bishop2
Side-Kick

I was never satisfied with Halle Berry as Storm, personally. Even once I started to warm up to the character, it still wasn't a recognizable version of the individual from the comics and never was.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #744
TKing
Side-Kick

She was a waste, yes. Her role in X3 was significantly increased, but she still didn't seem like "Storm".

Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #745
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Not a 616 Storm fan at all, but the movie one is definitely worse.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #746
Spider–Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintedFB View Post
I agree.

And seeing as this is the Cyclops thread.... My contribution to the Ultimate X-Men Card Collection:

Beautiful! Marsden IS Cyclops!

Spider–Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #747
taintedFB
Side-Kick

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #748
Vilya
Mightiest of the three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider–Man View Post
Beautiful! Marsden IS Cyclops!
Well said

Saving the world, One song at a time

Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #749
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

There is a X3-rewrite by the author 'resolute' on her LJ which I would like to share with you, and of course Cyclops is alive and plays the role he deserves in this fic.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #750
taintedFB
Side-Kick

Well, if they ever do another team movie, bringing Scott back would be a huge step towards making up for how disappointing X3 was.