The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #101
superbaby
Banned User

Default Re: Superman DELAYED?

false news? even the media wanna sabotage the sequel?

Old 03-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #102
I_Hate_U_All
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
I hated Superman Returns but to say you want the sequel cancelled is silly. I want a sequel really bad because I am hoping Singer finally makes his OWN Superman movie and not a piece of **** Superdad Donner homage. Come on Singer you know what to do just ****ing do it.
It's not going to be that simple I'm afraid. It never is.

Sequels generally have a harder time being made than singer thinks. He assumes all second sequels are wrath of khans, but in truth, to my knowledge good sequels are rare. usually the sequels suck worse than the original and that ends the hopes of a true franchise.

So Singer's not going to have an easy time convincing WB to throw more cash at him because generally it's gets harder, not easier for sequels to succeed. That's why Wrath of khan had a lower budget, because the studio lost its confidence in the future of star trek as a franchise. On top of that for all my knowledge on the subject, I can't remember a sequel that was directed by the same person as the original, that was drasitically different in style and story. So I expect nothing different. If there's a Man of Steel, it'll include a boy of steel, and of course continue the donner-verse thing singer's trying to do. Will they pander to comic geeks more though? Possibly, but only because the box office wasn't as good as expected... They don't really care about comicbook geeks as much as we think they ought to. Because obviously the audience ranges beyond us.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #103
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Ok, WB, just dump singer. He makes a movie that, well, underperformed at the BO, and now he's gonna make people wait 4-5 years for a new superman pic?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #104
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Singer is gonna get the ax. Trust me! I was the VERY first person to say that Kevin Spacey would be cast as Lex Luthor. Which I have prove of, BTW, and now I'm gonna predict that Singer is getting the ax.
^
Good.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #105
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Hate_U_All View Post
It's not going to be that simple I'm afraid. It never is.

Sequels generally have a harder time being made than singer thinks. He assumes all second sequels are wrath of khans, but in truth, to my knowledge good sequels are rare. usually the sequels suck worse than the original and that ends the hopes of a true franchise.

So Singer's not going to have an easy time convincing WB to throw more cash at him because generally it's gets harder, not easier for sequels to succeed. That's why Wrath of khan had a lower budget, because the studio lost its confidence in the future of star trek as a franchise. On top of that for all my knowledge on the subject, I can't remember a sequel that was directed by the same person as the original, that was drasitically different in style and story. So I expect nothing different. If there's a Man of Steel, it'll include a boy of steel, and of course continue the donner-verse thing singer's trying to do. Will they pander to comic geeks more though? Possibly, but only because the box office wasn't as good as expected... They don't really care about comicbook geeks as much as we think they ought to. Because obviously the audience ranges beyond us.

On the contrary a lot of second part are often good , and even better than the original ( like for example the godfather part two , Mad Max , the Empire Strike back X2 or Spiderman 2)

Quote:
Aliens
Back to the Future 2
Batman returns
Blade 3
Bourne supremacy
Die Harder (The third is better imo but the second one was not that bad)
Desperado
Evil Dead 2
The Godfather part 2
Indiana Jones and the last crusade
The Karate Kid 2
Lethal Weapon 2
The Lord of the Rings:the two towers
Mad Max 2
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rocky 2
Shrek 2
Spider-Man 2
Star Trek : the wrath of Khan
The Empire strike back
Superman 2
Terminator 2
X2
And even if similar in some ways on one can argue that X2 was very different from Xmen.(as was Batman returns and Batman for example )

Singer stated many times that the Donner universe was especially a starting point.
the only problem that i can see is that there will be less money ( for the moment) and possibly a tighter control from Wb( that said a studio having a little more control of a movie is not not always a bad thing)

give the man some trust

Last edited by Maze; 03-14-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #106
GreenKToo
In the fire

I really dont care if singer stays or goes as long as we get another superman film in 2 to 3 yrs, but for the record, my money is on him staying.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #107
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter rider View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion over this,i'll wait till WB actually makes a statement one way or another.
Agreed. I think there is going to be reports flying in many different directions now. WB is the only true source, the horse's mouth so to speak. If they say the sequel is delayed, cancelled, going forward, then my ears are open.

Although, I think this debunks the Nottingham rumors. Maybe that thread could disappear...

Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #108
Upper_Krust
Side-Kick

Hey all!

Interesting news snippet, I suppose if Warner were going to 'politely' remove Singer from the sequel while still keeping his good graces, what they might do is concoct some sort of conflict of scheduling that would act as an escape clause for Singer.

By the way, I have to ask as it keeps distracting me, who is that in your avatar Catman?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #109
Binker
Side-Kick

Thank god this was true.

But lets face it, if it was, Singer would still be on it. Many forget that Chris Nolan did The Prestige following Batman Begins and it ddn't bother WB, which is why he came back and is now doing The Dark Knight.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #110
I_Hate_U_All
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze View Post
On the contrary a lot of second part are often good , and even better than the original ( like for example the godfather part two , Mad Max , the Empire Strike back X2 or Spiderman 2)

And even if similar in some ways on one can argue that X2 was very different from Xmen.(as was Batman returns and Batman for example )

Singer stated many times that the Donner universe was especially a starting point.
the only problem that i can see is that there will be less money ( for the moment) and possibly a tighter control from Wb( that said a studio having a little more control of a movie is not not always a bad thing)

give the man some trust
You put blade 3 in there?

And he has to earn my trust first. Nothing in life is free.

I'll also say that list can easily be outweighted by the poor sequels such as blade 3. It's inarguable that good sequels, especially ones that surpass the original, are rare. I'm not pulling that from my butt.

I'd say burton has a distinictive style (I call it freaky) that's present in both batman and returns. So he's not the best example to use. And Again, x2's biggest difference from the first was that it had a bigger budget, really... to buy cyclops his new shades.

Last edited by I_Hate_U_All; 03-14-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #111
jj9126
Side-Kick

So we have a Hollywood trade magazine's word vs. a Superman fan site's denial...

There's a specific reason they would have inserted that "delay" portion into the article. I don't see them pulling that out of their asses...

Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #112
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

Singer´s under a contract to make the sequel. A delay doesn´t mean cancellation. Nolan also did a smaller budget movie between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #113
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Quote:

lol no it was a mistake, sorry i mean blade 2

Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #114
Maze
Proud AquaMomoa inventor

Quote:

And he has to earn my trust first. Nothing in life is free.

I'll also say that list can easily be outweighted by the poor sequels such as blade 3. It's inarguable that good sequels, especially ones that surpass the original, are rare. I'm not pulling that from my butt.

I'd say burton has a distinictive style (I call it freaky) that's present in both batman and returns. So he's not the best example to use. And Again, x2's biggest difference from the first was that it had a bigger budget, really... to buy cyclops his new shades.
As for you other points , well yes sequels (and there i am talking especially about second part )are not so good usualy when a director is not so good.so good sequels from good director are not so rare , rather the contrary.

Singer not so good? opinion

as for you returns point faire enough, but for X2 iif yes Singer has not a radical style as Burton of course , if you can't see the difference in style between X1 and 2 (apart from the bigger budget) that's another issue : the movie was faster paced for one thing and the style of shooting was way different.and you don't have need necessaraly a bigger budget to do that.

that said , you don't trust Singer , you don't trust him , that's your opinion and i respect it , personnaly i don't have those worries that's all.

Last edited by Maze; 03-14-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #115
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Whether the rumors are true or not it dissapoints me that Bryan is even still attached to this project. They need to get somebody else in my opinion...someone who isn't going to overly philosophize the story--and its hero.

Whoever the director of the SR sequel will end up being needs to make the film...well, super. And if it takes all the way till 2010 or beyond to get it right, I'm all for that.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #116
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Thank god this was true.

But lets face it, if it was, Singer would still be on it. Many forget that Chris Nolan did The Prestige following Batman Begins and it ddn't bother WB, which is why he came back and is now doing The Dark Knight.
Of course it didn't bother WB, WB was a partner in the production and distribution of The Prestige.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #117
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_Krust View Post
Interesting news snippet, I suppose if Warner were going to 'politely' remove Singer from the sequel while still keeping his good graces, what they might do is concoct some sort of conflict of scheduling that would act as an escape clause for Singer.
Hehe, like Katie Holmes and TDK.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #118
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez View Post
Whether the rumors are true or not it dissapoints me that Bryan is even still attached to this project. They need to get somebody else in my opinion...someone who isn't going to overly philosophize the story--and its hero.

Whoever the director of the SR sequel will end up being needs to make the film...well, super. And if it takes all the way till 2010 or beyond to get it right, I'm all for that.
Singer is an extremely talented director but he seems to not have been the best fit for Superman, IMO. When we end up getting a movie that produces a boy of steel who doesn't know who his biological father is, something tells me the director just didn't fully get the character and his world.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #119
GreenKToo
In the fire

Good points on both sides. We'll not know for sure either way untill W.B. comes out and says something, and I for one am eagerly awaiting some news from them. Just tell us one way or the other.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #120
jj9126
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Good points on both sides. We'll not know for sure either way untill W.B. comes out and says something, and I for one am eagerly awaiting some news from them. Just tell us one way or the other.
Agreed, this is a classic he said/she said. My gut is that Variety wouldn't pull the "delay" portion out of thin air, while I also agree that the Superman website probably got word directly from Singer's camp.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #121
Gonking
Banned User

This is the chance to get a new director. Take it Warner!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #122
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Singer is an extremely talented director but he seems to not have been the best fit for Superman, IMO.
Agreed 150%. He's extremely talented in the suspense/drama genre. But he is in over his head with these CBMs...he just doesn't "get" them.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #123
fabman
Side-Kick

I think Bryan Singer gets comic books and the characters but it would be nice to see Singer bringing more of his own ideas and vision in the sequel.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #124
Dark_Lord
Dark Lord of the Sith

EDIT: Its has been posted...

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #125
GreenKToo
In the fire

While I'm not convinced Singer will leave yet, it does look like W.B.*MAY* be opening the door a little, ''inviting'' him to leave gracefully if you will. Thats what the article makes me think anyway, despite whoever debunking it. It had to have a source after all. If its not true, then W.B. needs to do some P.R., and fast.

Closed Thread