The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 09-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Default Relationships

I was reading the first issue of Kevin Smith's Batman: The Widening Gyre and was very much enjoying how he wrote the relationship between Bruce and Dick.

I got to thinking how their relationship is, without a doubt, my favorite in damn near the entirety of comicdom. It's such a complex, strained but loving relationship and I always enjoy when those two share a story.

I thought I'd post this and ask you guys what two characters' relationships you enjoy the most, be it hero-hero, hero-villain or villain-villain.

Also, I've said the word 'relationship' two million times in this post.

SenseiofCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Relationships

I like Black Bolt and Medusa a lot.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
WompuM
Esquire

There are a lot.
Kyle and Wally
Clark and Bruce
Wally and Dick
Harley and Ivy (giggity)
Band and Scandal
Catman and Deadshot

Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Before it became such a common event as it is now, I enjoyed Superman and Batman's friendship and the stories that put a lens on that, by either dropping a meaningful line here or there, or a cameo by Batman or Superman in the other one's book. A few occasions off the top of my head is when Clark visited the No Man's Land, respecting Batman's wish to deal with the city's chaos with his own team and no JLA interference, but just checking up on him all the same. Then Superman put an end to the dry spell that was happening by stirring up some rain clouds before leaving. I love the little things as well, like Wally saying in Tower of Babel that Clark was the closest thing Batman had to a friend on the team, and later when Batman doesn't acknowledge that what he did in that story was wrong to Oracle, so Babs chooses to show that transmission to Superman alone.

I also liked Bruce giving Clark and Lois their apartment as a wedding present, as well as owning the Daily Planet and dropping by, like he did during the Hush storyline.

Yeah, they've still got that friendship in the Superman/Batman book itself, and it's still fun to read when it's good, but now those older spots when one of the characters would just happen to drop by the other one's turf occasionally, or someone would mention that the jerkish Batman is ironically good friends with nice-guy Superman, it kind of loses a little bit of the "less is more" charm because we get a whole book devoted to that relationship now.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Superman and Batman's relationship was a close second for me. One of my favorite things in comics is when characters that are friends pop up in each others' titles. Like when Wally West was in an issue of Nightwing where the two shared a pizza. Just small things that reminds me that these people are actually friends.

SenseiofCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Supes and Bats during the beginning of the Superman/Batman series and in the Timm-verse 'toons were always my favorites.

I also like Kyle and Guy in GL Corps. They just seem like 2 guys who would never be friends yet their they are.

Catman and Deadshot have cool report with each other. Like the Kyle/Guy relationship meets Bats/Supes (sorta)

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I've recently been enjoying the friendship between Aquaman and the Martian Manhunter. I never thought of it before I started reading all of Aquaman's post-Crisis comics and found that their friendship comes up from time to time, but J'onn and Arthur have similar key moments in their life stories and can naturally understand each other really well.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

I really like the Hal/Barry relationship, and how it's back in full force now.

Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Oh, I also liked how, back when he was the only GL, they seemed to be implying Kyle was cut from the same cloth as Alan Scott more than any of the GLC Lanterns. Alan showed up in Kyle's comic a lot, mentors Kyle a bit, shares stories about Hal with Kyle, and ultimately Kyle winds up finding his soul mate (according to recent GLC issues, anyway) in Alan's daughter.