The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #401
Crockett
With Teeth

Default Re: HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Yeah, not only did Nucky saw Rowland turning out like Jimmy, essentially being a trouble down the road but he wouldn't hire Rowland and act like he's fine with what made their paths crossed, not now.

Graham was fantastic by the way, from him beating the **** out of a guy to trying to teach his kid to fight but eased up and hugged him when the kid started to cry, the scene when he sang and played the mandolin to his son, that one got me.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #402
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I find it interesting that some people thought Nucky was actually going to let Roland go. Did people not see what happened in the season 2 finale??
It got by me, lol. I thought there was a real connection there and then, blam! It makes me wary for Owen, I hope he doesn't end up going out the same way.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #403
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

There may have been a slight second where I thought Nucky would let him live, but then I remember he killed the man that was essentially his son. Yeah no mercy.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 10-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #404
killface
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Yeah, not only did Nucky saw Rowland turning out like Jimmy, essentially being a trouble down the road but he wouldn't hire Rowland and act like he's fine with what made their paths crossed, not now.

Graham was fantastic by the way, from him beating the **** out of a guy to trying to teach his kid to fight but eased up and hugged him when the kid started to cry, the scene when he sang and played the mandolin to his son, that one got me.
the quality of an episode greatly improves when stephen graham is in it. scenes of al capone with his kid tend to make me cry.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #405
Marvolo
Side-Kick

When Nucky gave him the cigarette the first time i wss thinking he better enjoy it because he is about to die then the feds showed up and they started talking so i was thinking nucky might go soft then he gave him another cigarette and i was like oh **** here we go. If a man you stole from hands you a fine cigarette in place of your cheap cigarette it aint a peace offering. Its a last meal.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #406
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killface View Post
the quality of an episode greatly improves when stephen graham is in it. scenes of al capone with his kid tend to make me cry.
He was all sorts of awesome. I find bad guys/anti-heroes more interesting when they on occassion show their human side. Real people are so seldom just black and white.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #407
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Basef on most portrayals of Al Capone in the media I thought we was a slime bucket. Was he really a softie with his kids?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #408
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Most people aren't all evil or all good like I suggested above. It isn't so hard to believe that while Capone may have been cruel to those he despised or who disobeyed him, he would likely feel much different towards his own offspring.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #409
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Basef on most portrayals of Al Capone in the media I thought we was a slime bucket. Was he really a softie with his kids?
I've observed the same before. It is odd how this show flips the archetypes. Every time I've seen Capone portrayed in pop culture, he is an absolute monster. Conversely, every time that Lucky Luciano is portrayed in pop culture, he is portrayed as a charming, dashing, Robin Hood of the 20s. On this show however, Capone is a family man where as Luciano is a dirt bag with erectile dysfunction.

But yes, according to most accounts, Capone was very kind with his son.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #410
killface
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Most people aren't all evil or all good like I suggested above. It isn't so hard to believe that while Capone may have been cruel to those he despised or who disobeyed him, he would likely feel much different towards his own offspring.
it's funny how often people have contradicting values when they're placed in a different environment/situation. take for example how Capone could be so violent with other people while being so gentle with his kid.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #411
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Capone was violent with other people because in his mind they deserved it or it was business. It takes a true monster to be that way to their kids. So while capone may have been a monster to his enemies he was probably nice to his kid. I love the way they are playing Capone.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #412
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Al Capone was a total badass in last night's episode. despite Capone being portrayed as an anger filled violent guy, he's also a guy that cares for those close to him. case in point, how he was with his son and how he defended his fat smelly friend towards the end of the episode.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #413
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I thought the only reason Capone defended the fat guy was because he felt he got bullied like his son did.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #414
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I thought the only reason Capone defended the fat guy was because he felt he got bullied like his son did.
This was my thinking to but I think it amounts to the same thing. He might not have beaten the other man if he hadn't known the fat guy personally and heard him complain.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #415
TheFuture
Rising

For me personally, the season is just a little off so far. As usual, Harrow and Capone have been the highlights. Rosetti seems like a worthy foe. But as I said, there's something off. Jimmy Darmody was the cornerstone of this show, it just seems a little strange without him. Don't get me wrong it's technically good, but there's something lacking. I'm sure it'll pick up though.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #416
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Who'd like to see harrow unleashed as a one-man wrecking crew to take out gyp's guys in tabor heights?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #417
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
For me personally, the season is just a little off so far. As usual, Harrow and Capone have been the highlights. Rosetti seems like a worthy foe. But as I said, there's something off. Jimmy Darmody was the cornerstone of this show, it just seems a little strange without him. Don't get me wrong it's technically good, but there's something lacking. I'm sure it'll pick up though.
Honestly I don't miss Jimmy nearly as much as I thought I would.

The show is still compelling without him. There's too many great actors and characters to ignore.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #418
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
I always thought Luciano was like Tommy in Goodfellas in the sense of being a hothead, but the one difference between Luciano and Tommy is that with the former, you generally know what you're going to get.

But with Rosetti, he's liable to do anything so in that sense, he is definitely a better mirror to Tommy than Luciano.
Luciano was young and impetuous when the series started--honestly not that different from Jimmy. But Luciano is quickly learning a lot from Rothstein and is becoming one of the most formidable characters in the series. That is in line with history.

--John Adams
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #419
James
Built from Lego

I don't miss Jimmy either. He was in interesting character, but he was also an ungrateful idiot. If he'd have stuck with Nucky, followed orders and let things play out he could have a very powerful fellow. He'd probably even have been top dog some day. Instead, right from the get go, he's getting uppity about not being given the position he wanted.

Jimmy had to die. If Nucky had bought him back in, shown mercy, sooner or later Jimmy would have tried something stupid. From Nucky's perspective and a story telling perspective, it made sense to get rid of him.

So far my favorite thing about season 3 (excluding Harrow, because it goes without saying he's the best thing about the show) is Nucky's growing ruthlessness. Watching him evolve (devolve?) over the seasons from a politician with ties to organized crime to a full blown gangster is really interesting. With the death of Jimmy he basically killed his own son, so it's clear anyone is fair game if they get in his way.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #420
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

Well, let's hear it for Van Alden and his Swedish slugger wife. Ka-pow! Honestly didn't see that one coming.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #421
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

She swings a mean hammer, lol.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #422
Maximus One
Oddball

Where have I seen that young guy that shot at Rosetti before? He was on some show but I can't think of it offhand. I will say that this season hasn't grabbed me like last season did but it's still damn good. There really is just enough characters on this show to fill the void left by Jimmy. I didn't feel that way after the finale last year honestly.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #423
Travesty
TEOL

^ He was the boy who got captured in season 2 of TWD. The kid who they were debating on killing in the barn.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #424
Maximus One
Oddball

Oh ok. He was dirty as hell on that show. I feel like I saw him some place else. Maybe it was just Talking Dead though lol

Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #425
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Where have I seen that young guy that shot at Rosetti before? He was on some show but I can't think of it offhand. I will say that this season hasn't grabbed me like last season did but it's still damn good. There really is just enough characters on this show to fill the void left by Jimmy. I didn't feel that way after the finale last year honestly.
He played Tommy's nephew, Damien, in Rescue Me.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Closed Thread