The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

View Poll Results: I will...
Definitely see the sequel. 79 63.71%
Ony see the sequel if it has more action, better costume etc.. 4 3.23%
Only see the sequel if it has no continuity w/ SR, no kid, no Richard etc.. 11 8.87%
Wait and decide based on more info. 18 14.52%
Definitely not see the sequel. 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #351
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Default Re: Any SR fans just as excited at the idea of a new Superman movie franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning54SC View Post
like i said have donner do most of the sotry and have Bay do the action
I don't want Donner writing the story. He hasn't done a Supes story in 30 yrs., that I don't want him to return. Not to mention there was some crap he put in the first movie like Lex being somewhat an idiot with an even more stupid idiot in Otis, Superman turning the world back in time, etc.

Thought I would prefer a new movie to continue from SR, but make it feel different. I would get rid of the kid (a good idea to just say Richard & Lois got a divorce, with Richard taking the kid with him & not mention it at all like it never happend), have Singer use his own vision instead of another Donner's homage, more action, less love story telling (I still want them to use Supes/Lois love story, but not much for the sequel like SR), etc.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 AM   #352
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Any SR fans just as excited at the idea of a new Superman movie franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1977 View Post
I don't want Donner writing the story. He hasn't done a Supes story in 30 yrs., that I don't want him to return. Not to mention there was some crap he put in the first movie like Lex being somewhat an idiot with an even more stupid idiot in Otis, Superman turning the world back in time, etc.

Thought I would prefer a new movie to continue from SR, but make it feel different. I would get rid of the kid (a good idea to just say Richard & Lois got a divorce, with Richard taking the kid with him & not mention it at all like it never happend), have Singer use his own vision instead of another Donner's homage, more action, less love story telling (I still want them to use Supes/Lois love story, but not much for the sequel like SR), etc.
I take it you haven't read the comics because Donner was involved in a storyline recently.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #353
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeloz View Post
I take it you haven't read the comics because Donner was involved in a storyline recently.

Angeloz
At least some people do their homework before making opinions right Angeloz

id love to see birthright made but we all cant get what we want, also id liek to see a new suit with no man-ties

Lightning54SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #354
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning54SC View Post
At least some people do their homework before making opinions right Angeloz

id love to see birthright made but we all cant get what we want, also id liek to see a new suit with no man-ties
Don't remember Superman wearing a tie?

I know what you meant. I don't like the label. Also they are one thousand times better than most versions of grandpa undies (mainly live version).

I'll admit I haven't read most of "Birthright" yet as it was after my comic collecting days. I've heard about it and seen some pages. It's on my very long list of things to get.

Angeloz

Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #355
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Don't remember Superman wearing a tie?

I know what you meant. I don't like the label. Also they are one thousand times better than most versions of grandpa undies (mainly live version).

I'll admit I haven't read most of "Birthright" yet as it was after my comic collecting days. I've heard about it and seen some pages. It's on my very long list of things to get.

Angeloz
i gave up collecting years ago but when i started hearing bout this story i went out and gave it a try and it was actually really good... take a peak... everyhting from his bitrh to now .. if they could make krypton like birthright i havea feeling it will surpass star wares for scifi

Lightning54SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #356
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Quote:

Angeloz
That different thought. We're talking about the movies thought. Beside, he isn't doing the comics himself. He need Johns to help him out.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #357
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1977 View Post
That different thought. We're talking about the movies thought. Beside, he isn't doing the comics himself. He need Johns to help him out.
But you said, "He hasn't done a Supes story in thirty years," I believe. Not a "Supes film."

But I presume we agree that a Superman sequel with Singer as director would be nice.

Angeloz

Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #358
Thot
Side-Kick

I think a reboot is the best option right now. Marvel saw what a letdown Hulk was and responded with a complete change. Very balsy and appropriate and I'm sure it'll pay off in spades. DC needs to insist on the same thing. New director, new cast (though I did like Brandon) and new direction. JLA will give them some breathing room and maybe, just maybe, a better Superman for the role in MOS. At the least, I would like to see a MOS movie without Singer or his freaking baggage.

Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #359
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

A reboot is the worst option right now. So WB thinks a reboot will make more than Batman Begins did? That did not get a sequel did it? Oh yeah it is getting one. Oh wait that's right SR made more than BB did. See how that idea is sounding dumber by the minute??

WB would have to be arrogant beyond belief to think a reboot would make far more money than SR did, it made 200 mil not 100 mil. What is considered a hit for a Superman movie if SR was a flop. 230, 240, 250 as high as 300 mil what is the number exactly???

WB is nuts to even be thinking reboot.

DanSupKP37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #360
ant3ros
SUPERFAN

A reboot is a ridiculous idea. That's wishful fanboy thinking. Start all over and make it the way I want! SR isn't as bad as the Anti-Singer camp makes it out to be. MOS has great potential which SR set up. Give them the chance and freedom to really flesh out their idea. I don't think Singer was thinking of Superman Returns without thinking about its sequel. Let's see what he has in store.

ant3ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #361
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant3ros View Post
A reboot is a ridiculous idea. That's wishful fanboy thinking. Start all over and make it the way I want! SR isn't as bad as the Anti-Singer camp makes it out to be. MOS has great potential which SR set up. Give them the chance and freedom to really flesh out their idea. I don't think Singer was thinking of Superman Returns without thinking about its sequel. Let's see what he has in store.
Exactly SR by no means did so poorly at the BO that WB would be crazy to make the sequel. If they are spending the rumored 175 mil or so on it, with a good marketing campaign, it's not a big risk for them to make MOS. As a matter of fact the film would have to be really lousy for them to not make money, once you add in, merchandise, DVD sales the whole deal.

DanSupKP37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #362
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
^Honestly we aren't ever going to agree because the fact is you liked the movie and I didn't. No hard feelings, just speaking the truth. I'm just saying that I don't think that we agree on one thing regarding that movie. And I want to clear something up, I'm not the one saying that Bosworth or Routh can't act, I honestly think that poor writing has me on the fence about Routh and Bosworth didn't display bad acting in the movie, I just think that she is all wrong for Lois. Not because she was 23 when she played the role but because she looked 23, I'll argue younger than 23. And, this is the most important one to me, even if the character was written as LL is mostly potrayed, spunky, I still think that she still would have been miscast.
I understand what you are saying about Bosworth and i agree to an extent, but she is a good actress and could be a better Lois given the right material IMO.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #363
CrazyDavey
Side-Kick

I don't know why some people want a reboot for. It's a waste of time. We all know the origin of Superman. Do we really need to tell it again?

CrazyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #364
knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDavey View Post
I don't know why some people want a reboot for. It's a waste of time. We all know the origin of Superman. Do we really need to tell it again?
YES! because it hasn't been told on "the big screen" since Donner's films, and that's pre-crisis. It's about time to start from scratch with a "post-crisis" Supes

so a re-boot, with a re-telling of the origins is MUCH MUCH NEEDED at this point. My opinion? Singer should finish his movies and then reboot, this way we as the fans just get a **** load of Superman movies in the future

can't say I wouldn't be happy with that outcome

knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #365
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSupKP37 View Post
Exactly SR by no means did so poorly at the BO that WB would be crazy to make the sequel. If they are spending the rumored 175 mil or so on it, with a good marketing campaign, it's not a big risk for them to make MOS. As a matter of fact the film would have to be really lousy for them to not make money, once you add in, merchandise, DVD sales the whole deal.
Exactly, it made enough of a profit to deserve a sequel, and the movie was recieved well critically, and half the fan base love it. If they go for a re-boot, it will be business suicide IMO, but its an unfortunate possibility that WB are indeed that stupid.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #366
Thot
Side-Kick

My idea of a reboot would not involve a retelling of Supes origins. It would simply assume that we all know the story and go from there. Again, Marvel got a clue with Hulk, DC needs to get clue with Superman. With the right director, cast and ass-kicking story/sfx, the new Superman film could storm the box-office domestically and worldwide. A sequel to SR will largely elicit yawns from the general public and anger from those of us who hated the way Singer fubar'd the Superman universe.

Thot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #367
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thot View Post
My idea of a reboot would not involve a retelling of Supes origins. It would simply assume that we all know the story and go from there. Again, Marvel got a clue with Hulk, DC needs to get clue with Superman. With the right director, cast and ass-kicking story/sfx, the new Superman film could storm the box-office domestically and worldwide. A sequel to SR will largely elicit yawns from the general public and anger from those of us who hated the way Singer fubar'd the Superman universe.
Exactly. In fact, it's possible WB could be waiting to see how the Hulk reboot is received. If it does extremely well, then you can bet your @ss that WB will seriously consider rebooting the franchise. Especially now with JL getting ready to roll, they can just plug in the new Superman actor from JL into a new solo franchise.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #368
Heretic
Side-Kick

I would be fine with some amazingly huge threat that caused Superman to leave earth and duke it out on Apokolypse or something, leaving the kid behind....or maybe the kid could be thrown into the Source Wall. Whatever works.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #369
VenomsMom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Exactly. In fact, it's possible WB could be waiting to see how the Hulk reboot is received. If it does extremely well, then you can bet your @ss that WB will seriously consider rebooting the franchise. Especially now with JL getting ready to roll, they can just plug in the new Superman actor from JL into a new solo franchise.
If thats the case then I hope Hulk is a blockbuster.

VenomsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #370
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind a reboot, but at this point, I'd see Warner screwing that up by swinging the pendulum in the direction of something along the lines of Transformers, which plays like another in a long line of Michael Bay's two-hour movie trailers. I was a proponent of a reboot all the way back since the early nineties when Reeve last turned down the role. I liked SR, but if they needed to do a reboot, and if I felt it was done right, well then I wouldn't mind at all. Just as long as they don't call up Ratner or McG. I would be bummed to not see Routh sporting the cape, if they did opt to start over. I personally think they could do a reboot and keep SR alive if they wanted to. They could even repaint a backstory that would replace the Donner films as canon so as not to displace SR if they wanted to. Anyway, rambling aside, I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #371
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I dont know why a reboot would be similar to Donner... I can think of 5 ways a reboot would be different than Donners...

1)Superman in his first year and we get a glimpse of his origin as we go, through Brainiac.

2)Dont show Krypton at all and just make a movie about his creation in Smallville, the right way, not how Smallville does it. Something like Superman for all seasons or Forrest Gump

3)Superman Birthright, showing Superman saving people around the world, before he adopts the name of Superman

4)Show the WHOLE story of Krypton like a Star Wars type of movie...

5)A movie like Superman Peace on Earth and it shows his creation through flashbacks

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #372
Draedan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant3ros View Post
Ridiculous? Lets look at the facts: SR was officially budgeted at around 270mil. It made roughly 400 million worldwide. Factor the advertising budge, which I am sure is at least 50 million and the hundreds of millions of dollars that were wasted away in the 10 years that Warner Bros attempted to develop that film. Simply put, SR put them in the hole. It was a failure. It may have done well with some critics, but nobody showed up to see it in the theaters. If nobody showed up to see it in the theaters the first time around, you can guarantee that people aren't going to be showing up for a sequel. In addition, there are many many people who did see SR and were extremely disappointed with what was done and would not be interested in seeing the film.

So there is that. Now, WB have fired Singers cronies and have brought in their own writers. They have tied Singer's hands and taken away a lot of his creative control. Singer will walk away from this project guaranteed. What's more, WB are pushing ahead with JLA. They do not seem think that a sequel to SR is top proirity like The Dark Knight is to Batman Begins.

So once you look at the facts, its pretty clear that Superman Returns 2 is dead.

I for one, am happy. Singer doesn't know anything about Superman outside of Richard Donner's films which are dated and boring in today's modern age.

Draedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #373
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draedan View Post
Ridiculous? Lets look at the facts: SR was officially budgeted at around 270mil. It made roughly 400 million worldwide. Factor the advertising budge, which I am sure is at least 50 million and the hundreds of millions of dollars that were wasted away in the 10 years that Warner Bros attempted to develop that film. Simply put, SR put them in the hole. It was a failure. It may have done well with some critics, but nobody showed up to see it in the theaters. If nobody showed up to see it in the theaters the first time around, you can guarantee that people aren't going to be showing up for a sequel. In addition, there are many many people who did see SR and were extremely disappointed with what was done and would not be interested in seeing the film.

So there is that. Now, WB have fired Singers cronies and have brought in their own writers. They have tied Singer's hands and taken away a lot of his creative control. Singer will walk away from this project guaranteed. What's more, WB are pushing ahead with JLA. They do not seem think that a sequel to SR is top proirity like The Dark Knight is to Batman Begins.

So once you look at the facts, its pretty clear that Superman Returns 2 is dead.

I for one, am happy. Singer doesn't know anything about Superman outside of Richard Donner's films which are dated and boring in today's modern age.
you sure?? i thought they no longer wanna develop another superman movie... at least for the next 5 year.

i just wanna another good superman movie soonest possible, regardless Sr sequel or reboot...

Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 AM   #374
Draedan
Side-Kick

Don't expect to see a Superman film for at least another 6-8 years. At least Ive got my STAS dvds to hold me over. Id love to see a lot of elements carried over into a film from the show.

Draedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #375
daywalker2007
Banned User

to be honest, i was one of those totally against a superman returns sequel, but after thinking about it and after hearing what WB is doing with Justice league, Singer should return and do the sequel.

Sure, there is the kid in the storyline, but I'm a good writer can work around it and give us the sequel we need.

I think a reboot is not viable. There is absolutely no guarentee a reboot will revitalise the franchise.

Its not as though superman returns was a complete flop. It still made a profit.

And also, you have to understand that Batman was only rebooted because of its last 2 disastrous movies which killed that franchise off.

Considering Superman as a franchise was completely dead since 1987's superman 4, its a miracle that Superman Returns did the numbers it did.
After all, nobody knew what fanbase superman has in today's world.

Expecting spiderman numbers was way too optimistic. Superman is never going to get Spiderman numbers at the box office, because Spiderman appeals more to kids than Superman does.

That's the cold hard facts.

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote