The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #3701
Varient
Guru for Geeks

Default Re: The '07 X-Event: Endangered Species, Messiah Complex, & Disassembled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Superhero Hype!: Where's it's more important to prove the other guy wrong, than to prove yourself right.
Noticed that did U?
LOL

Varient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #3702
DoomRulz
A guy that comes and goes

Default Re: The '07 X-Event: Endangered Species, Messiah Complex, & Disassembled

I picked up and read the final chapter today...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Well I'm...pleased, I guess with the outcome. Cable got away safely with the baby and Wolverine ripping Pred X in two was badass as hell, but...KILLING OFF XAVIER?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!? WHO'S DUMBASS DECISION WAS THAT????????????????? WHY WHY WHY??? IT WASN'T NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shocked beyond belief b/c I avoided this thread entirely up until today. I honestly didn't know that was coming.

Last edited by DoomRulz; 01-23-2008 at 05:14 PM.
DoomRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #3703
HandOfFate
Side-Kick

Here the thing, if they wanted to get rid of Xavier, they could have sent him to space/limbo.

I sick of characters dieing to make a point.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #3704
DoomRulz

Well people, you know something? We need to face reality:

If Captain America can die, anyone is a candidate for death's icy grip

Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #3705
spiderfan85
Side-Kick

The future of the X-Men is finally revealed:

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories....n_Declassified

Last edited by spiderfan85; 01-23-2008 at 05:21 PM.
spiderfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #3706
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

I've actually never followed X-Men comics (besides Astonishing) before MC. Is the X-Men line over with this issue?

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
JTStarkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #3707
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Absolutely hated the art in this final chapter. A huge fight is definitely Bachalo's weak point.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #3708
HandOfFate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderfan85 View Post
The future of the X-Men is finally revealed:

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories....n_Declassified

Just saw that, it looks like Prof. X might still be alive.

Also what the hell is with Cyke using kids to kill poeple?

Last edited by HandOfFate; 01-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.
HandOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #3709
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOfFate View Post
Just saw that, it looks like Prof. X might still be alive.
I'm gonna second Manic's prediction that it's just wheelchair time again

Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #3710
Valechan
Banned User

Yay Ororo in X-Men

Valechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #3711
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

X-MEN DIVIDED WE STAND BOOK 1 (of 2)
Written by MIKE CAREY, MATT FRACTION, CRAIG KYLE,
CHRISTOPHER YOST and SKOTTIE YOUNG
Pencils by BRANDON PETERSON, JAMIE MCKELVIE, SANA TAKEDA and SKOTTIE YOUNG
Cover by BRANDON PETERSON
In the wake of Messiah CompleX, there are no X-Men. But where does that leave the mutants that WERE X-Men? Some of the industry's hottest creators bring you stories of your favorite mutants. Mike Carey (X-MEN, ULTIMATE FF) and Brandon Peterson (ULTIMATE EXTINCTION) bring you a tale of Cannonball and Husk. Matt Fraction (PUNISHER: WAR JOURNAL, IRON FIST) and Jamie McKelvie (Suburban Glamour, Phonogram) tell a story about Nightcrawler. Craig Kyle & Christ Yost (X-FORCE) and Sana Takeda (Drain) take you to Wakanda for a tale of Storm, Black Panther and Neznho. And Skottie Young (NEW X-MEN) writes and draws a story about your favorite New X-Man Anole.
48 PGS./Rated T+…$3.99

Old 01-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #3712
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Nezhno is Wakandan? thats cool. Anole!! yay!! cannonball! yay!!

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #3713
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

It doesn't say Nehzno is Wakandan

Wonder why Anole gets his own story? Should be interesting.

Husk and Cannonball!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #3714
UraniaChang
''Oculus Superior''

Just don't ever bring up Angel's relationship with Husk.

Resolue, dumb, uncomplaining, a man in a world of men.
UraniaChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #3715
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
It doesn't say Nehzno is Wakandan

Wonder why Anole gets his own story? Should be interesting.

Husk and Cannonball!
Knew you'd like that.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #3716
Valechan
Banned User

What I really loved about 207 is that Charles showed he is the teacher and Summers will never be as good as him

Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #3717
TromaFreak64
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valechan View Post
What I really loved about 207 is that Charles showed he is the teacher and Summers will never be as good as him
It's like you read something totally differnet or your weird perception has clouded your understanding...

Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #3718
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

THE NEXT X: ED BRUBAKER
The superstar writer lays out his soap opera plans for ‘Uncanny X-Men’ and the entire X-line post-‘Messiah Complex’
By Kiel Phegley

Posted January 23, 2008 5:30 PM

SPOILER WARNING: GO NO FURTHER IN THIS INTERVIEW IF YOU HAVEN’T READ X-MEN #207, THE FINAL CHAPTER IN “MESSIAH COMPLEX”!

Today, the X-Men as we know them went out with a bang.

The final chapter of the crossover epic “Messiah Complex” saw Marvel’s merry mutants face a giant mutant-eating monster, a traitor in their midst and the apparent death of their longtime leader, Professor X. With team leader Cyclops disbanding the X-Men in the wake of the events, it’s the perfect time to start a series of interviews with the X-writers on how their titles will be affected by the story.

First up is Uncanny X-Men writer Ed Brubaker who tackles where the franchise is headed as a whole and what romantic antics fans can expect from he and Mike Choi’s upcoming five-part arc titled “Divided We Stand.”

WIZARD: So “Messiah Complex” finished up today, and from the looks of it, the X-Men are no more. That sticking is debatable, but for you and the other writers, was your initial goal with the crossover to pretty much blow things apart?

BRUBAKER: Well, not exactly. We knew that the basic idea of where the books would be at the end of it was that this was where everybody teams up, they fight as many villains as you can possibly get in, every issue was about them on the hunt and fighting different factions, and what we really wanted to get out of it was that you had four different books that felt completely different from each other. And that comes because of the end of “Messiah Complex.” X-Force becomes its own book, the X-Men: Legacy book becomes about Professor X which is picking up a strand from that story, and then you’ve got Uncanny which is all the X-Men wondering what to do next. The mansion’s destroyed, Professor X is gone, and Cyclops has said there are no X-Men. It’s like — well, we all know there’s going to be an X-Men group, but for the time being they’re all wandering around, and Cyclops has a secret plan. That’s the idea for me.

The line that stood out in the last part of the crossover was that Professor X referred to Cyclops as kind of the de facto leader of all mutants because he leads the X-Men. Is that his role — the head of the entire race — from here on out?

He’s still figuring out what his X-Men would be. It’s always been Charles’ plan and Charles’ dream and Charles’ goal. Now it’s “What would I do different? What would it be if it were me?” That’s where we’re really at with him. The five-issue Mike Choi arc I’m doing is going to get him to a point where he’s going to try and make the future different for them in a way that’s different than how Professor X would have done it because his way clearly didn’t work because they’re constantly being bombarded by sh--. So instead of hiding and trying to make the world safe for mutants or trying to appease humans and live side by side, they’re going to make some major decisions and change the way that the X-Men and mutant kind in general is viewed.
Cyclops is a long-standing member of the team…

He’s like the Captain America of the X-Men. If you look at it that way, he’s been the leader of the X-Men since issue #1. He’s the only X-Man who’s been a constant on the team except for a brief period where he left and Storm became the leader. He’s constantly been in the X-books the whole time. Angel and Bobby and Beast will all come and go, but Cyclops is eternal.

But he always has gotten knocked as being the guy who plays second banana to Xavier or Wolverine or whoever, but in the past few years he’s become, for lack of a better term, a much more “proactive” character. If you look at what Joss has done with him in Astonishing and how he’s operated in the other books, he’s way more in the forefront of everything. Had you thought, “I know Joss is really pushing him forward,” or did this all seem like a natural extension of his character?

A little bit of both. It definitely was one of those things where if we were going to try and do anything different to explore his character, it had to go in that direction rather than the whiney, arguing with Professor X about everything kind of way to be. When we were plotting out “Messiah Complex,” Scott was clearly the general of an army of mutant heroes. That was how he came off. Thinking about how he came out after that, it had to play to that angle. But I really love what Joss has done with him in Astonishing so a lot of it comes out of the way he is in that book, too. It reestablishes him as this intense powerhouse of a character willing to let himself be killed and subject himself to torture and all that stuff. That’s pretty intense.

Obviously, you’re only writing the one X-book, but it feels like with the entire team of writers on the franchise in the past — Carey and Kyle & Yost and Peter David — you all each just took your book and worked with the status quo given by House of M. It feels like “Messiah Complex” gave you guys a chance to reinvent the whole line on your own terms rather than have a whole new group reboot things again.

That was definitely part of it. There are some new guys coming in, but I like the fact that Axel wanted to use this crossover, which was already in the planning stages before he inherited the office, as a way to basically destroy everything, level the ground and say, “Where do we go from there? What are these books? And why is it important for each to exist?” That’s something that — I don’t know if that question had been asked in a while about the various X-books. Sometimes you have a franchise, and you have a ton of books, and there isn’t a reason for there to be four Batman books or four Superman books or four Spider-Man books or whatever. They aren’t that different from each other. That was the prime goal here was to give each book its own reason for existing.

Luckily for me, Uncanny is the one where all the main characters exist, and if you want to read about these characters and what happens to them next you have to read that book. You’re not going to get a lot of Emma and Cyclops and Wolverine and Nightcrawler and Colossus and Angel in the other books. Well, you’ll get some of them in X-Force. But that’s what I loved about Uncanny as a kid — the people that come and go from it. Uncanny is the core people, plus everybody else. If you want to use a character for two issues because they happen to show up and have some plotline, you can totally do that.

Let’s talk about your cast. You’re bringing back Colossus into the earth-bound stories for the first time since he came back in Astonishing. Is he someone you really wanted on the team?

Oh yeah. I wanted to get as many of the core “new X-Men” characters as I could. We’re bringing in lots of weird aspects to the book too, but what I really wanted, I think, was Nightcrawler and Colossus and Angel — Cyclops and Emma. And Wolverine, obviously. You can’t have the book without Wolverine. He’s in all of them. [Laughs] But I wanted to have a cool, core group that is the characters that I grew up reading. We’ll probably use Storm here or there because she’s got lots of stuff on her plate.

And Colossus is in “Messiah Complex” all over the place, but that is sort of its own weird monster. It is a drag that the last issues of Astonishing have taken so long to come out. #24 is coming out pretty soon, and then they’ve got the Giant-Sized special coming pretty soon, which is a little hard to juggle around because I don’t want to step on Joss’ toes at all because I’m such a fan. Were it anyone else, I wouldn’t mind stepping on their toes if the book was so late, but I love those guys, and I love that book. They’re very lucky that they’re so talented. [Laughs] But it does make it harder to jump around. Obviously, there have been a lot of people online discussing what’s going to happen at the end of Astonishing because of what we haven’t talked about or haven’t dealt with — characters we haven’t shown who are in Astonishing. People are assuming that means “so and sos going to die.” It’s been difficult, but we’ve tried to ignore it and not bring any attention to it.” But fans notice — especially X-Fans notice everything.

Well with that whole old school cast you’ve assembled, you’re doing some old school story stuff in the next few issues, and you told me once before that it’s your favorite thing you’ve done on the franchise, right?

Oh yeah. It’s totally crazy. I sent Fraction the cover for the third issue, and he said that if he’d been working on the book with me, everyone would have blamed him. [Laughs] The cool thing about the X-Men is that, yeah it’s this crazy pulp adventure about mutant stuff, AND it has this allegory to being an outsider or a freak. It’s got all of those things, and every teenager at some point feels like an outsider or a freak. It’s a very S.E. Hinton type of feel underneath it all. But it’s also kind of a romance comic and a soap opera. I really wanted to play with that. I’d been wanting to play with that the whole time I’d been on the book and really couldn’t to a large degree. I could with the cast I had on the outer space story, but once I got back to earth and did the “Extremists” storyline, I was really laying groundwork for “Messiah Complex” and what would come after that and really knew that coming up with “Messiah Complex” I’d get to write the core characters. And after that, the hope was that I’d have those core members in my group because those are the characters I grew up reading, and if I was going to write X-Men stories they’d have Cyclops in them and Angel and Colossus.

I don’t know why I like Angel so much. If I had to pick a single X-Men power, it would be Angel because you can fly. That’s totally *****in’. Maybe it would be a drag to have wings sometimes, like anytime you’re trying to sleep, but I always thought it was such a great visual to see Angel flying over a city. But I always wanted to play with the soap opera element, and it was a soap opera that had a lot of insanity in it. All soap operas are kind of crazy. If you watch any of them for a couple of weeks, you’ll see various people with eye patches and people being dropped to their death, and then you tune in the next day and they’re still being dropped to their death. There’s just all sorts of insanity in actually soap operas, but the X-Men insanity was always, “Well, it seems like the X-Men isn’t working out right now so I’m going to go back to Ireland to the castle my grandfather built.” And when they get there, a bad guy is living there. It’s just this rambling. You can do those kinds of things in this group because it’s more about the characters than the plot. It’s always been more about the characters than the plot.

So I wanted to do a story with three or four plots that followed different characters, and we break up the team, and Wolverine and Colossus and Nightcrawler are traveling around Europe on a train together bumming around and having fun. Wolverine keeps pulling pranks on Nightcrawler and getting into bar fights. Cyclops and Emma go off on their own for an intimate, sexy vacation where they end up getting called in where Angel is because something crazy is happening. It’s just one of those things where it feels unfocused to a certain degree, but it’s very, very planned. What almost seems like a tossed off joke in the first issue is a major plot point at the end of the second. Suddenly, you realize that wasn’t a tossed off joke, and it’s going to screw them up in issue three. But there’s definitely some of my favorite stuff for the X-Men in it, and I’m glad Axel really loved it. That was nice because I wasn’t sure if anyone would. I was just like, “Well, I’m having fun.” [Laughs] That’s always the best, when you’re having fun on the book.

The original impression I got when I’d first heard about this was that it was going to be some stand-alone stories, but it sounds like this is a real five-parter.

They’re not stand-alone. It’s a five-issue storyline, but we’ve just got a lot of plot threads that we’re following. There’s a lot of different characters, and the plot threads sort of come together at the end, but it’s a bunch of different X-Men doing a bunch of stuff. But it’s the same story even though they’re not in the same place, if that makes any sense. They’re not stand-alone. That’s too hard to do. [Laughs]

Well, you said there were pieces you were putting in place in “Extremists,” and a big one is that these days Magneto is…somewhere. Any comment on whether he’ll be showing up soon?

There is a plan for Magneto right now. I know he’ll be used in X-Men: Legacy, and we’ll be using him in Uncanny too. That was sort of laying the groundwork for “Messiah Complex” and for the return of Magneto. I think people thought “Extremists” would have a lot more Magneto than it did, but for me it was always going to be a red herring, and the twist at the end that we’d find out was that he really wasn’t unpowered. He was just pretending. He’s had his powers back since that issue of Avengers, and I’ll let Bendis explain how that works. [Laughs] I think you just yell “XORN!” and then you get your powers back.

You’re working with Mike Choi for these five issues too…

Oh yeah! His stuff is phenomenal. But it’s funny because everyone says he’s so phenomenal, and Mike is, but man…a lot of it is [colorist] Sonia [Oback]. You see the pencils that come in, and you’re like “Wow, that’s awesome!” Then you get the colored pages, and you’re like “OH MY GOD!” [Laughs] They’re a perfect team. It’s kind of scary how good they are, and they don’t even know how good they are. That’s always a plus. We’ve been wanting to get him on an X-Men book for a long time, and I’m really excited to see how he tackles stuff in the upcoming issues where there’s a lot more action because he’s so good at drawing highly choreographed action with a lot of people in it.

But he’s been having a lot of fun. When you see the cover for his third issue you’ll crack up. It’s like a ‘60s movie poster. I sent him a couple of old ‘60s hippie movie posters as reference and said, “Draw the X-Men looking like hippies — all psychedelic with the backdrop,” and him and Sonia went crazy with it. That’s the one where Fraction went, “Man, if we had co-written this issue, everyone would think that was my idea.” And I’m like, “Yeah, I know.” [Laughs] I sent that cover to Warren Ellis, and he was like, “What the f--- are you up to?!?” [Laughs]

To be having fun doing the X-Men is pretty great. Obviously, it should be, but there are times when you look at the X-Men as a burden because it’s got so much history to it and so much fan expectation.

Well, one last thing I have to ask about is that when you look at this five-part arc, the next issue after it will be Uncanny X-Men #500. What’s up with that?

All I can say for right now is that starting in #500, they won’t be living in Westchester anymore. [Laughs]

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../007370323.cfm

Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #3719
DoomRulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Absolutely hated the art in this final chapter. A huge fight is definitely Bachalo's weak point.
He reminds me of Ramos TBH.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #3720
Valechan
Banned User

Quote:
It's like you read something totally differnet or your weird perception has clouded your understanding..
Cable was ready to kill Summers, it didn't matter what Summers says he was not going to give him the baby, but Charles came and he convinced Cable through common sense to give the baby up. So he showed he is far more suited to lead and teach that "my solution to everything is just kill it" Summers

Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #3721
Valechan
Banned User

Quote:
He’s the only X-Man who’s been a constant on the team except for a brief period where he left and Storm became the leader. He’s constantly been in the X-books the whole time. Angel and Bobby and Beast will all come and go, but Cyclops is eternal.
What is this guy on?? BRief period of time??? From Uncanny 139 to Uncanny 280 she was the sole leader of the X_Men and that was a "brief period of time"???? It's like almost half the entire book....

Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #3722
DarthCyclopsRLZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
What is this guy on?? BRief period of time??? From Uncanny 139 to Uncanny 280 she was the sole leader of the X_Men and that was a "brief period of time"???? It's like almost half the entire book....
Storm-conomics or...?

151/500 is NOT close to almost half, lol

And one could argue she wasn't the sole leader between 139-201.

X4 parody done X3 style: Hellfire's Wrath - The Epic Stand!!!

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/...hellfire+wrath
DarthCyclopsRLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #3723
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Cable was ready to kill Summers, it didn't matter what Summers says he was not going to give him the baby, but Charles came and he convinced Cable through common sense to give the baby up. So he showed he is far more suited to lead and teach that "my solution to everything is just kill it" Summers
I see nothing wrong with how Scott handled trying to acquire the baby. Cable made it plain early on that he'd get violent if necessary, and Cyke responded promptly.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #3724
Valechan
Banned User

And with mere words Charles got what Summers couldn't

Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #3725
Valechan
Banned User

Quote:
Storm-conomics or...?

151/500 is NOT close to almost half, lol

And one could argue she wasn't the sole leader between 139-201.
I said almost, but do count since 280-390 where she was co-leader with the same position shared with Summers and yo get even closer

And still, 150 issues is like 12 years, NOT a "brief" period of time