The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #326
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Superman: The Movie is too dated to be the greatest of them all.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #327
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
How are they better?
In every possible way you can imagine.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #328
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post



James Cameron said Gravity is the greatest space movie ever, (essentially the Godfather of space movies), ahead of 2001, ahead of Aliens, ahead of Star Wars etc. Do you agree with him or is he hypocritical?
Depends...was he crying about not putting movies on a pedestal beforehand?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #329
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

And I don't see how "this is dated so it cant be the greatest" is a valid argument.

Mainly, because its not a valid argument.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #330
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,081
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I don't think any other DC movie has such a romantic love for a title character than this one; even with Nolan making Batman a symbol of hope and a martyr with a statue. This movie has the "just go for it" attitude about Superman and treats the character with respect with out watering down the more fantastic elements.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #331
Jordacar
The Endless One
 
Jordacar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Hollywood
Posts: 4,558
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I love that the film takes Supes entirely at face value. We wouldn't see that degree of irony-free superhero storytelling until Captain America: TFA.

__________________

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #332
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
And I don't see how "this is dated so it cant be the greatest" is a valid argument.

Mainly, because its not a valid argument.
Of course it is. What i saw in MOS is exactly what i imagined when i was kid and played Superman. Fast, explosive, visually outstanding. The 1978 flick has none of that. It feels dated. Itīs like iīm watching someone playing Superman, instead of watching Superman himself. MOS is far from a perfect movie, but at least i can look at it and pretend Superman actually exists. Superman: The Movie to me feels more like a failed attempt to replicate what Superman would be able to do if he existed.

Itīs obviously a great movie for itīs time, within itīs genre. But things have evolved a lot since then and right now weīve seen movies doing a better job in bringing super heroes to life.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #333
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Of course it is. What i saw in MOS is exactly what i imagined when i was kid and played Superman. Fast, explosive, visually outstanding. The 1978 flick has none of that. It feels dated. Itīs like iīm watching someone playing Superman, instead of watching Superman himself. MOS is far from a perfect movie, but at least i can look at it and pretend Superman actually exists. Superman: The Movie to me feels more like a failed attempt to replicate what Superman would be able to do if he existed.

Itīs obviously a great movie for itīs time, within itīs genre. But things have evolved a lot since then and right now weīve seen movies doing a better job in bringing super heroes to life.
Thank you for proving my point. Your argument is basically "STM doesn't have a ton of CGI or teh badass action scenes, therefore it can't be great."

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #334
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Thank you for proving my point. Your argument is basically "STM doesn't have a ton of CGI or teh badass action scenes, therefore it can't be great."
A good display of Supermanīs powers is a very important thing in a Superman movie, since thatīs what really defines him: The fact that he can do things that normal people canīt.

And youīre basically putting words in my mouth. I never said it couldnīt be great. I actually said it is great. Just not THE GREATEST.

Man of Steel does a good job at showing who Superman is and what he can do. You get a pretty good representation of both by watching the movie.

Superman is a cool movie for itīs time but fails to be as complete as MOS.

Plus, letīs not forget about Batman, Batman Begins, TDK, TDKR, Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, etc. Saying Superman is the greatest is a pretty bold statement.


Last edited by Kato; 03-20-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #335
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
A good display of Supermanīs powers is a very important thing in a Superman movie, since thatīs what really defines him: The fact that he can do things that normal people canīt.
That's the definition of like every superhero.

Superman also has his values. Like saving people in danger. Like what he did NOT do when Pa Kent killed himself.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #336
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
That's the definition of like every superhero.

Superman also has his values. Like saving people in danger. Like what he did NOT do when Pa Kent killed himself.
That was my favourite part. You have super powers and let your father die. Brutal. LOOOL. Loved it. Thatīs a movie with balls. I like movies with balls.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #337
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
A good display of Supermanīs powers is a very important thing in a Superman movie, since thatīs what really defines him: The fact that he can do things that normal people canīt.
And STM does this very well, even with 1970's SFX. Sorry he's not an ADD fantasy of CGI, explosions, and repeatedly punching people through buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
And youīre basically putting words in my mouth. I never said it couldnīt be great. I actually said it is great. Just not THE GREATEST.
Ok, let me amend my assessment of you, frankly shallow arguments: "STM
doesn't have a ton of CGI or teh badass action scenes, therefore it can't be greatest."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Man of Steel does a good job at showing who Superman is and what he can do. You get a pretty good representation of both by watching the movie.
STM does this too, in fact, it most respects it does a better job. The only thing MOS has over STM is modern effects and action, and even the action scenes left you numb after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Superman is a cool movie for itīs time but fails to be as complete as MOS.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

STM did a much bettter job at covering the mythology of Superman. Its so complete, I can watch STM and not even need to watch the sequels, even with the sequel bait with Zod at the beginning. MOS will need at least two movies to cover its own themes and mythology. Again, the only thing MOS has over STM is CGI and fight scenes that become empty.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Plus, letīs not forget about Batman, Batman Begins, TDK, TDKR, Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, etc. Saying Superman is the greatest is a pretty bold statement.
Superman is better than most of those movies. The only movies on that list that can compete are TDK and possibly Spider Man 2.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #338
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Every action scene in Superman looks pretty outdated and unconvincing. Thatīs not how imagine Superman. MOS makes it look like he actually exists. Superman makes it look like a man is behing held by wires. Thatīs not impressive to me. I live in 2014, not in 1978.

Itīs ok for you to prefer Superman to the movies i referred. You have your own tastes. I have mine. But itīs not like the movie is consensually considered the greatest thing ever. Itīs pretty acceptable to point out other movies as being superior, since thatīs actually how theyīre perceived by most people. And since someone made a thread just to point out that they think Superman is the greatest of them all, i think itīs pretty fair to expect some disagreement.

Me and most people donīt consider this to be the greatest super hero movie of all times. Deal with it.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #339
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
That was my favourite part. You have super powers and let your father die. Brutal. LOOOL. Loved it. Thatīs a movie with balls. I like movies with balls.
I prefer my superheroes to have the balls. This part of the movie was not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Every action scene in Superman looks pretty outdated and unconvincing. Thatīs not how imagine Superman. MOS makes it look like he actually exists. Superman makes it look like a man is behing held by wires. Thatīs not impressive to me. I live in 2014, not in 1978.
I suspected it was a case of "the new action movies look cooler therefore the movie is better."

So, under your own logic, MOS will stop being a classic in some years, when new technology comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Itīs ok for you to prefer Superman to the movies i referred. You have your own tastes. I have mine. But itīs not like the movie is consensually considered the greatest thing ever. Itīs pretty acceptable to point out other movies as being superior, since thatīs actually how theyīre perceived by most people. And since someone made a thread just to point out that they think Superman is the greatest of them all, i think itīs pretty fair to expect some disagreement.

Me and most people donīt consider this to be the greatest super hero movie of all times. Deal with it.
Movies like The Dark Knight could have a chance (I don't know about "you and most people" though). But not MOS.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #340
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Every action scene in Superman looks pretty outdated and unconvincing. Thatīs not how imagine Superman. MOS makes it look like he actually exists. Superman makes it look like a man is behing held by wires. Thatīs not impressive to me. I live in 2014, not in 1978.
CGI makes people look like they actually exist? LOL.

Yes, we know what year you live in. Please tell us more obvious things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Itīs ok for you to prefer Superman to the movies i referred. You have your own tastes. I have mine. But itīs not like the movie is consensually considered the greatest thing ever. Itīs pretty acceptable to point out other movies as being superior, since thatīs actually how theyīre perceived by most people. And since someone made a thread just to point out that they think Superman is the greatest of them all, i think itīs pretty fair to expect some disagreement.
Its no so much you disagreeing, its a matter of me personally thinking that your reasoning is weak.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Me and most people donīt consider this to be the greatest super hero movie of all times. Deal with it.
Have you actually polled most people, Batista?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #341
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Surprisingly, Kato does bring up a good point: the title of this thread. I would actually like to have discussion on STM, but the title just leads to "its not the greatest" type posts.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #342
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
CGI makes people look like they actually exist? LOL.

Yes, we know what year you live in. Please tell us more obvious things.



Its no so much you disagreeing, its a matter of me personally thinking that your reasoning is weak.




Have you actually polled most people, Batista?
It doesnīt matter if you think my reasoning is weak. I think the same of yours.

CGI doesnīt make people look real. It makes the unreal look real.

I donīt need to poll most people. I just need to pay attention to their opinions. And if you go to any big movie site, you will see that most people donīt think this is the greatest thing ever. Thatīs why it as a 7.4 on IMDB and a 3.5 on RT, instead of a 9 and a 4.5.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #343
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Rottentomatoes:

STM: 93% reviewers / 86% audience

MOS: 56% reviewers / 76% audience


Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #344
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Rottentomatoes:

STM: 93% reviewers / 86% audience

MOS: 56% reviewers / 76% audience

So? Does STM have the best ratings of all Super hero movies? I think this thread is about that. The title says it is the greatest superhero movie.

Superman is a character that has been portrayed on screen (tv and cinema) pretty much the same way since 1978. MOS goes in a completely different direction, so itīs pretty easy for people who grew up loving the Donner Universe to dislike something that seems so different from the original movie. Thatīs the reason why it is so difficult to make a Superman movie work without basing it on the Donner universe.

Oh, and btw, what does 86% means? It means 86% of the people liked the movie? Ok, but we donīt know if those 86% found it great or simply decente, do we? For that we would have to look at the ratings. Thatīs why percentages mean nothing to me.


Btw, Supermanīs rating on most sites are made of a very small amount of people. We all know that, most of the times, the bigger the number of votes, the lower the rating, so i donīt think your comparison is that relevant.


Last edited by Kato; 03-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #345
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Percentages mean nothing, yet he uses imdb and RT audience ratings, where anyone can and will rate a movie "1" just for *****s and giggles.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #346
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Percentages mean nothing, yet he uses imdb and RT audience ratings, where anyone can and will rate a movie "1" just for *****s and giggles.
RTīs percentages mean nothing to me. I pay more attention to the ratings.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #347
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Yes, we already know you pay attention to the just as unreliable ratings.

But its nice to know that your definition of "most people" is actually "most people who happen to surf the internet, and hang out on RT and IMDB"

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.

Last edited by The Batman; 03-20-2014 at 01:39 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #348
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Yes, we already know you pay attention to the just as unreliable ratings.
Should i pay attention to what? To your opinion? Do you want me to make my mind regarding whatīs the best movie based on your opinions? Iīm more interest in what i think and in what the audiences in general think. Youīre just one guy. Your opinion doesnīt change the way the movie is perceived, with all due respect.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #349
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,189
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Luckily, my opinion nearly lines up with this movie's general perception: That its one of, if not the best comic book movie of all time.

BTW, the whole "People dislike MOS because its not Donner" statement will never stop being a bad, cliche argument.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.

Last edited by The Batman; 03-20-2014 at 02:00 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #350
Kato
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Luckily, my opinion nearly lines up with this movie's general perception: That its one of, if not the best comic book movie of all time.
"One of" is very vague. One of the 10 best? Yeah, i agree. But itīs definitely not "the best" according to the general perception. At least not in this world. Maybe youīre talking about an alternative reality or something.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.