The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #426
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,010
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I think if you look past the nostalgia you can see this is defenatly not the best CBM.

People often site this as "the one that started it all". That's a piss poor reason for it being the best. If any of the big SH directors now like Nolan, Whedon, Singer, Webb, even Snyder (I don't even like MOS) brought out their films at that time they would get praised also.

All the praise this movie gets is just because it was your first real live action Superman. IMO the only things that hold up are Revee and the score. Lex Luthor... Oh Jesus!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #427
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,183
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I think if you look past the nostalgia you can see this is defenatly not the best CBM.

People often site this as "the one that started it all". That's a piss poor reason for it being the best. If any of the big SH directors now like Nolan, Whedon, Singer, Webb, even Snyder (I don't even like MOS) brought out their films at that time they would get praised also.

All the praise this movie gets is just because it was your first real live action Superman. IMO the only things that hold up are Revee and the score. Lex Luthor... Oh Jesus!
This from a guy that says TASM2 was the best film of the year.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #428
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,010
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
This from a guy that says TASM2 was the best film of the year.
No I didn't. I said TWS, DOFP and ASM2 were the best (so far). You made that up, you wont find a post saying it was the best movie of the year.

I also don't appreciate you trying to turn my opinion on another movie against in order to jusify me thinking this film is weak.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #429
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 405
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I think if you look past the nostalgia you can see this is defenatly not the best CBM.

People often site this as "the one that started it all". That's a piss poor reason for it being the best. If any of the big SH directors now like Nolan, Whedon, Singer, Webb, even Snyder (I don't even like MOS) brought out their films at that time they would get praised also.
They wouldn't have brought their superhero films out at the time because Superman came out first, and everything else was influenced by it.

There is one superhero film that Nolan, Singer and Raimi have all noted as an influence, and that's Superman. And given that Nolan, Singer and Raimi are inarguably the most influential people of the modern superhero movie, that's a hell of an influence.

But fine, forget how influential it is. Superman the Movie has superb cinematography, editing, design, music, ground-breaking special effects...Christopher Reeve remains the definitive movie superhero, the John Williams' theme remains one of the most famous pieces of movie music...you have the wonderful John Ford as Pa Kent, the unforgettable Brando as Jor-El...it's a fantastic movie.


Last edited by Uncle Radiation; 06-08-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #430
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,004
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post

I also don't appreciate you trying to turn my opinion on another movie against in order to jusify me thinking this film is weak.
Just as I don't appreciate the tired, condescending, narrow minded argument of "People only like this movie because of nostalgia".

And I'm sorry...when you have a very weak argument against STM, but list an absolutely mediocre film like ASM2 in your top CBM list, you will invite a certain kind of scrutiny.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.

Last edited by The Batman; 06-08-2014 at 05:43 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #431
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,183
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
No I didn't. I said TWS, DOFP and ASM2 were the best (so far). You made that up, you wont find a post saying it was the best movie of the year.

I also don't appreciate you trying to turn my opinion on another movie against in order to jusify me thinking this film is weak.
http://forums.superherohype.com/poll...s&pollid=27741

Refresh my memory,who did you vote for in this poll?(Shouldn't be hard to find your name.Only 5 people voted TASM2)

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #432
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 6,989
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Damn, no love for Robo.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #433
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 405
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Just as I don't appreciate the tired, condescending, narrow minded argument of "People only like this movie because of nostalgia".
Exactly.

So when Superman made 300m at the box office back in 1978, it was only due to nostalgia?

BTW, $300m adjusted for today's inflation is over $1b.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #434
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,183
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I think it's an indication of how cynical this generation has gotten when they can consider Superman The Movie "camp" or a product of "nostalgia".

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #435
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,004
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Not only that, I think its also people who can't comprehend how a movie they personally don't like can still be liked 35 years after its release.

"I don't like this movie, so anyone that does must have some ulterior motive."

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #436
Skrilla31
Side-Kick
 
Skrilla31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 782
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I think if you look past the nostalgia you can see this is defenatly not the best CBM.

People often site this as "the one that started it all". That's a piss poor reason for it being the best. If any of the big SH directors now like Nolan, Whedon, Singer, Webb, even Snyder (I don't even like MOS) brought out their films at that time they would get praised also.

All the praise this movie gets is just because it was your first real live action Superman. IMO the only things that hold up are Revee and the score. Lex Luthor... Oh Jesus!
Right... nothing holds up.

It's only written by the same person that wrote The Godfather.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #437
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 4,987
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
Right... nothing holds up.

It's only written by the same person that wrote The Godfather.
Nope, that was the first draft, what ended up on screen was heavily modified.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #438
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,069
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I appreciate the impact the movie has. I appreciate Chris Reeve and his performance. But I find the movie tough to watch after a certain point.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #439
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,010
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Radiation View Post
They wouldn't have brought their superhero films out at the time because Superman came out first, and everything else was influenced by it.

There is one superhero film that Nolan, Singer and Raimi have all noted as an influence, and that's Superman. And given that Nolan, Singer and Raimi are inarguably the most influential people of the modern superhero movie, that's a hell of an influence.

But fine, forget how influential it is. Superman the Movie has superb cinematography, editing, design, music, ground-breaking special effects...Christopher Reeve remains the definitive movie superhero, the John Williams' theme remains one of the most famous pieces of movie music...you have the wonderful John Ford as Pa Kent, the unforgettable Brando as Jor-El...it's a fantastic movie.
It was the first actual superhero movie, I'm not questioning that it influenced those three (did Nolan REALLY say it influenced his trilogy?) but if Superman didn't come out Spidey 02 and X-Men would still happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Just as I don't appreciate the tired, condescending, narrow minded argument of "People only like this movie because of nostalgia".

And I'm sorry...when you have a very weak argument against STM, but list an absolutely mediocre film like ASM2 in your top CBM list, you will invite a certain kind of scrutiny.
And many will not appreciate the branding that "everyone who didn't like SM:TM is a Man Of Steel fanboy

I see this all the time... People branding others opinions invalid because they think a movie they like is mediocre. Anno Domini did it all the time when someone thought TDKR was mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Not only that, I think its also people who can't comprehend how a movie they personally don't like can still be liked 35 years after its release.

"I don't like this movie, so anyone that does must have some ulterior motive."
I don't think people have some ulterior motive, nostalgia clouds your view. The reason it isn't as praised now as it was back in the day is because back then it was really the only Comic Book Adaption out.

From what I've seen, there is a contrast between the younger generation and the older though that's not to say all younger people don't like this movie.

Back to the title of this thread, is this movie really considered the best? I remember fans saying MOS was better in the poll last year.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #440
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,004
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
And many will not appreciate the branding that "everyone who didn't like SM:TM is a Man Of Steel fanboy
Am I missing something? Did I actually say this at some point?

As far as that quote goes, you understand that that kind of branding is foolish...so why say things that are equally as foolish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I see this all the time... People branding others opinions invalid because they think a movie they like is mediocre. Anno Domini did it all the time when someone thought TDKR was mediocre.
In the case of TDKR, Anno would come after people even when they had a valid argument.

In this instance, your opinion is being branded invalid because your argument is terrible. Its one thing to simply say that you don't like the movie...but then you have to arrogantly assume that the only reason people liked it is because it was first, or because of nostalgia. And to top off your seeming ignorance, we see that you like ASM2, a movie that is considered mediocre by many and the lowest rated and lowest grossing Spider Man film yet.

Its like someone coming in with inflammatory opinions on The Beatles, and then finding out that they're a fan of One Direction.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I don't think people have some ulterior motive, nostalgia clouds your view. The reason it isn't as praised now as it was back in the day is because back then it was really the only Comic Book Adaption out.

The reason its not being praised is because everytime a reboot comes out, people think its cool to bash the old version. Simple as that. Even the Nolan movies are receiving backlash now that a more comic accurate version is on the way. But then again, I guess people only liked the Nolan movies out of nostalgia too.


You know what clouds a view? Thinking ASM2 is top CBM of 2014 because you're a huge Spider Man fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post

From what I've seen, there is a contrast between the younger generation and the older though that's not to say all younger people don't like this movie.
The Younger generation probably thinks that films like Casablanca and Citizen Kane are bad too. Are we supposed to take their opinion seriously when its that narrow minded in regards to film?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.

Last edited by The Batman; 06-22-2014 at 12:50 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #441
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick
 
Doctor Octopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 957
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I think if you look past the nostalgia you can see this is defenatly not the best CBM.
Why do you think everyone is loving it because of nostalgia? Just because it's old? Wouldn't that apply to all classic loved movies like The Wizard of Oz, Psycho, The Godfather, Jaws and others?

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #442
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Superman: The Movie is still my favorite comic book movie.

__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #443
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,229
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I think the appeal of Superman The Movie is more than just nostalgia. The structure of the film is very ambitious. It treats the source material with verosimilitude, (with vestigies of inherent silliness of the past present mostly in Luthor and his minions), and plays it with respect. The film is epic in scope, and the casting is made in favor of establishing the characters as a mirror of reality.

It's no surprise that this film, along with Blade Runner, were the estructure and tone basis of Batman Begins.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #444
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,069
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I do wonder if the film is appreciated more if you first see it as a child then if you first see it as an adult. If you first see the film as an adult you may have trouble embracing certain elements. Not sure. Just a theory.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #445
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,004
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

I think you can enjoy this film at any age if you're open minded enough.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #446
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,183
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

In this instance, your opinion is being branded invalid because your argument is terrible. Its one thing to simply say that you don't like the movie...but then you have to arrogantly assume that the only reason people liked it is because it was first, or because of nostalgia. And to top off your seeming ignorance, we see that you like ASM2, a movie that is considered mediocre by many and the lowest rated and lowest grossing Spider Man film yet.
"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

I don't mind if people enjoy TASM2.I liked it myself.But to try and act like Lex Luthor was some outrageous camp character and say nothing of Max Dillon & Dr Kafka in TASM2,well the hypocrisy is too much to ignore.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #447
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,229
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

You are criticizing Lex Luthor? The greatest criminal mind of our time?

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #448
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,183
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I do wonder if the film is appreciated more if you first see it as a child then if you first see it as an adult. If you first see the film as an adult you may have trouble embracing certain elements. Not sure. Just a theory.
I think the younger generation has trouble with certain concepts that weren't frowned upon "back in the day" such as the "turning the world back" ending and Luthor's black humor.


Nowadays villains have to be dead serious with a troubled past that justifies his evil world view.Wanting to destroy the West coast to make it your own playground doesn't count as a deep psychological look into evil these days.

And the film has to feel as if it could happen today!All rules and laws of science apply.Well....beyond a guy from another doomed planet filled with advanced people that sent him here to grow up with amazing powers of strength,flight,heat vision,and to wear a colorful costume complete with cape to protect the innocent of earth.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #449
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,004
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

I don't mind if people enjoy TASM2.I liked it myself.But to try and act like Lex Luthor was some outrageous camp character and say nothing of Max Dillon & Dr Kafka in TASM2,well the hypocrisy is too much to ignore.
At least Lex actually does some cold blooded stuff in STM.

Max has imaginary conversations with Spider Man, and Kafka talks in some dumb, over the top accent.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Welcome to the Batman v Superman forums, where people will take a perfectly reasonable comment you make and twist it into something completely different to make themselves feel better.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #450
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton
 
Young Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,096
Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Even if you don't like everything about the film, you can't deny Reeve was perfect as The Last Son of Krypton.







__________________
Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul I swear: until my dream where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever - Superman
Young Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.