Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Misc. Superman Films

Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #201
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
What does that have to do with SR?
SR didn't do the, Ok things went wrong so I'm magically undoing what's done factor. And Superman had plenty of reason to undo what was done.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #202
Changeling
Banned User

TDK takes the cake.

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #203
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
TDK takes the cake.
True... true!

But this is still a masterpiece of it's time.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #204
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

100% Yes to me

Its the feeling that the movie still gives me that puts it on top.

I have never seen a better Clark or Supes done before or since.

LexCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #205
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Though no one is calling for the Oscars to become a popularity contest, critics say the academy has developed a bias against public favorites.
"For some reason, the academy has gotten away from recognizing what Hollywood does really well: entertain the masses," says media critic Elayne Rapping, a professor of American studies at the University at Buffalo. "Not all popular movies are good; many of them are terrible. But there is something to be said for entertaining great numbers of people. Recognizing The Dark Knight could be a sea change in the way commercial movies are treated."
That kind of talk makes Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan cringe. He still considers the original Superman the best comic-book movie ever made and doesn't buy that his Batman saga has brought a new pedigree to the genre.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...t-oscars_N.htm

Old 01-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #206
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
Though no one is calling for the Oscars to become a popularity contest, critics say the academy has developed a bias against public favorites.
"For some reason, the academy has gotten away from recognizing what Hollywood does really well: entertain the masses," says media critic Elayne Rapping, a professor of American studies at the University at Buffalo. "Not all popular movies are good; many of them are terrible. But there is something to be said for entertaining great numbers of people. Recognizing The Dark Knight could be a sea change in the way commercial movies are treated."
That kind of talk makes Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan cringe. He still considers the original Superman the best comic-book movie ever made and doesn't buy that his Batman saga has brought a new pedigree to the genre.

Awesome praise from Mr. Nolan.

It's good to know that that he also agrees on Superman: The Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #207
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

I think certain movies have passed it, namely TDK, SR, and X2. But a lot of that has to do with the advancement of technology and the amount of campiness that was in STM.
But IMO it is still the standard for all modern comicbook films today. You can still see STM' and Superman II influences in today's comic films, especially the first two Spider-Man movies.

It's The Godfather of all Superhero films and started it all. Without STM' success, there's a chance comic book films wouldn't be around today.

Last edited by Superark; 01-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Superark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #208
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:

Nolan's wrong and right.

He's wrong; he did bring something new to the genre.
He's right; STM is the best one for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
I think certain movies have passed it, namely TDK, SR, and X2. But a lot of that has to do with the advancement of technology and the amount of campiness that was in STM.
But IMO it is still the standard for all modern comicbook films today. You can still see STM' and Superman II influences in today's comic films, especially the first two Spider-Man movies.

It's The Godfather of all Superhero films and started it all. Without STM' success, there's a chance comic book films wouldn't be around today.
I agree. STM not only was successful and good enough to create the genre, but to influence it to this very day. There's a few superhero movies that haven't had some STM in it. Spiderman 1 and 2 are practically STM and SII again in many important aspects. Other movies like Batman 89, X-Men and TDK have created new standards, different from what STM was.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #209
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:

As usual, great post, Superark.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #210
roach
I am the night

There are still moments in Superman the movie that top anything else. The helicopter save to me is the best superhero save/ superhero reveal to the world for me

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #211
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
There are still moments in Superman the movie that top anything else. The helicopter save to me is the best superhero save/ superhero reveal to the world for me
I'll admit that one always makes me smile. I even cramped my mouth muscles one time from how happy I was.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #212
roach
I am the night

that scene gives me goosebumps...

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #213
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloz View Post
i'll admit that one always makes me smile. I even cramped my mouth muscles one time from how happy i was.

Angeloz
lol

Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #214
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Did you type that out? 'Cos what happened to most of the capitals? By the way glad I can amuse.

Angeloz

Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #215
El Payaso
Banned User

No. I even typed "LOL" in capital letters but it didn't show.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #216
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeloz View Post
Did you type that out? 'Cos what happened to most of the capitals? By the way glad I can amuse.

Angeloz
Every once in a while, when you quote someone it just turns the entire quote into lower case letters. It's happened when I have quoted someone and it has happened to my quotes.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #217
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Absolutely.

Not to mention Jor-El's farewell speech to his son, Pa Kent's death scene, and Lois Lane's death scene and Superman's reaction towards it.

I've yet to see a leading actor in any comic book film even come close to Chris Reeve's performance in this scene:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #218
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly19 View Post
Absolutely.

Not to mention Jor-El's farewell speech to his son, Pa Kent's death scene, and Lois Lane's death scene and Superman's reaction towards it.

I've yet to see a leading actor in any comic book film even come close to Chris Reeve's performance in this scene:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
everythig about Reeve's performance was spot on. To me he wasnt an actor playing Superman...he was Superman

Old 01-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #219
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Absolutely.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
everythig about Reeve's performance was spot on. To me he wasnt an actor playing Superman...he was Superman

double posted for truth

Last edited by roach; 01-24-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #220
Jay#1
Banned User

lol, so many more comic book movies better than superman. lol

Jay#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #221
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Absolutely.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
IMO Christopher Reeve's Superman is the best on-screen portrayal of any comic/superhero related character. It was a beautiful performance by a truly gifted human being. Chris Reeve is the ultimate Superman and no one will ever be able to top it.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #222
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Quote:
IMO Christopher Reeve's Superman is the best on-screen portrayal of any comic/superhero related character. It was a beautiful performance by a truly gifted human being. Chris Reeve is the ultimate Superman and no one will ever be able to top it.
I agree. I watch all four Superman movies once a year (yes all four!). I didn't think anyone else would be able to do any justice to the role, that's why I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Brandon Routh as Superman.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #223
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

I disagree. I think Brandon is just as good, and his Clark is even better, which was also very surprising to me since I didn't think anyone could make me believe he was Superman, like Reeve did. And I'm sure he still has many more things he can show us with the character, if allowed. I would say that I actually give the edge to Brandon, just a little; there are things Brandon gives me as Superman that not even Reeve gave me in his movies, like when Superman first lands and walks on NK... it's Superman in the flesh for me. Same when he goes inside the plane to meet Lois for the first time and when he exits the plane to a cheering stadium for Superman's return.. It's just amazing. Probably, it also has to do with the more adult oriented film that is SR, which I prefer.

I LOVE Reeve's Superman and I think he was perfectly cast, but I don't think his performance was flawless or perfect acting wise, neither was Brandon's. But they both were inspired casting to me. They both exude the character and have the look and the presence, as well as the voice.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks

Last edited by Mostpowerful; 01-27-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #224
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
I disagree. I think Brandon is just as good, and his Clark is even better, which was also very surprising to me since I didn't think anyone could make me believe he was Superman, like Reeve did. And I'm sure he still has many more things he can show us with the character, if allowed. I would say that I actually give the edge to Brandon, just a little; there are things Brandon gives me as Superman that not even Reeve gave me in his movies, like when Superman first lands and is walks on NK... it's Superman in the flesh for me. Probably, it also has to do with the more adult oriented film that is SR.

I LOVE Reeve's Superman and I think he was perfectly cast, but I don't think his performance was flawless or perfect acting wise, neither was Brandon's. But they both were inspired casting to me. They both exude the character and have the look and the presence, as well as the voice.
I love this post. I also largely agree. As I love both of them.

Angeloz

Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #225
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
I agree. I watch all four Superman movies once a year (yes all four!). I didn't think anyone else would be able to do any justice to the role, that's why I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Brandon Routh as Superman.
Haha me too! How can you be a Superman fan and not watch 3 & 4. despite they're many flaws? That's how good Reeve was.

And I concur with your Routh statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostpowerful View Post
I disagree. I think Brandon is just as good, and his Clark is even better. And I'm sure he still has much more he can show us with the character, if allowed. I would say that I actually give the edge to Brandon, just a little; there are things Brandon gives me as Superman that not even Reeve give me in his movies, like when Superman first lands and is walks on NK... it's Superman in the flesh for me. It probably also has to do with the more adult oriented film that is SR.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Routh as Superman. He was fantastic and he is the new Superman, in my eyes at least. Like you, there were things his Superman gave me that Reeve's didnt. But having said that, Routh still couldn't match up to the overall performace of Reeve's Superman. But that's not a knock against him, I mean who could? However, I did like Routh's Clark better and thought his protrayal of Kent was better than Reeve's and less goofy. But still, Routh's Clark was based on Reeve's concept and original idea of how Clark should be, so again you have to give credit to Reeve for making the characters of Superman and Kent different in that way. Routh used the concept and did a better, more update performance of it.

Routh's is awesome as the Big Blue Boyscout, but I just don't think anyone will ever take the helm from Reeve. He was a real-life Superman!

Last edited by Superark; 01-27-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Superark is offline   Reply With Quote