The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Lane & Kent
Side-Kick

Default How many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniseries

If it was a restart how many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniseries. In my opinion it's the best origin of Superman and it's what Warner Bros. should have done in the first place What do you guys think.

Lane & Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
mego joe
Side-Kick

Default Re: How many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniser

I could support that. Hopefully it would have a tighter story instead of vignettes from different aspects and years of his early career.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Default Re: How many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane & Kent View Post
If it was a restart how many people would like a movie based on John Byrne's The Man of Steel miniseries. In my opinion it's the best origin of Superman and it's what Warner Bros. should have done in the first place What do you guys think.
Much as I love The Man of Steel mini-series, The whole 'Clark is the real person' idea doesn't really work for me. It overcomplicates the very essence of Superman, which is that beneath the shirt and glasses of a wallflower loser is a mighty, heroic figure.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Dope Nose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Much as I love The Man of Steel mini-series, The whole 'Clark is the real person' idea doesn't really work for me. It overcomplicates the very essence of Superman, which is that beneath the shirt and glasses of a wallflower loser is a mighty, heroic figure.
you could also argue that the essence of Superman is that, despite the fact that he an alien by birth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, he is still very much human. he was raised as a human, has human values, and it's his humanity that truly makes him who he is.

Dope Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
mego joe
Side-Kick

Or to continue, he is really both. Personally, I prefer a Clark as just as heroic in his own way, ala George Reeves on the TV series. He never let himself get caught doing anything to give away his identity, but he wasn't a wipmy panty-waist either ala Christopher Reeve's version.

I have to say, even though it is a more modern interpretation of the Superman story Byrne's Man of Steel presents the version of Superman that I like best in terms of his own view of himself as can be seen in these page from the last issue.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe
Or to continue, he is really both. Personally, I prefer a Clark as just as heroic in his own way, ala George Reeves on the TV series
We think alike.........I'ld take it a step further to say that the whole tone of "The Adventures of Superman" is the proper setting for the character. That series also gave the supporting cast a purpose in the stories.

Rip-roaring adventure not romantic ardor should be the theater for Superman.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
The Shredder
Sharp Dressed Man

I enjoyed John Byrne's "The Man of Steel" mini-series, and certainly wouldnt be opposed to the idea of a film based on Byrne's revamp if it's deemed necessary to reboot the Superman franchise.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Super Kal
Side-Kick

I could live with it... I liked that origin a lot, and at least it's colorful.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Dope Nose
Side-Kick

I loved Byrne's take on Krypton.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Nose View Post
you could also argue that the essence of Superman is that, despite the fact that he an alien by birth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, he is still very much human. he was raised as a human, has human values, and it's his humanity that truly makes him who he is.
You could indeed. But to me, Superman is a very simple, pure concept told in one image; the wallflower/loser tearing open his shirt to reveal he's really a mighty, dynamic, brave figure underneath. That's the basic, raw appeal of Superman. Everything else is just storylines.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Comicfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
yes, for me it is the best origin too

I would love to see a superman franchise based on it...

I would love to se a trilogy:

1. The man of steel
2. The Death of Superman
3. The reing of supermen/return of superman

Comicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
JCam4
Side-Kick

That would be a good idea, but with the recent film, it might be better for another time.

JCam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
You could indeed. But to me, Superman is a very simple, pure concept told in one image; the wallflower/loser tearing open his shirt to reveal he's really a mighty, dynamic, brave figure underneath. That's the basic, raw appeal of Superman. Everything else is just storylines.
I think the content of his character is essential as well, and that while being human as stated above, he is also the best of humans a truly good, caring and responsible person, and is above much of the pettiness in life.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
X Knight
Saber Class

or a super-creepy-stalker.....who sleeps with a woman......then leaves her cold for 6 years.........fathers a bastard child.....then cries when he finds out his ex-flame has....GASP!!!!....moved on with another man............but I digress........

as for the topic of this thread.......the Man of Steel series could be a basis of a reboot........as could Birthright.....the Animated Series, etc.......or one that combines elements of all.

At least give us something new....something fresh....something different.....yet a treatment that still remains true to the character......but, alas we got SR..............one can only dream.....sigh......( hence my signature )....

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #15
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

I would love to see a movie based off John Byrne's Man of Steel. I'd love to see that version of Krypton on screen.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #16
Captain Clown
The OTHER Captain Clown

Byrne's series was okay, but I don't think it would work well in a film.

Captain Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
project13
Side-Kick

Byrne's version sucks. They should be going for a "Superman:Birthright" adaption instead of SR.

project13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Dope Nose
Side-Kick

good god no. Birthright was ass. that's why no one acknowledges it.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #19
SFII
Banned User

didn't Shaq already star in a movie based on that, called Steel?

SFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
griffolyon12
Side-Kick

I think it would be good,but if WB ever did decided to redo the origin on film I think they should hire a creative filmmaker to do a new version of the origin.I think letting a good creative filmmaker start fresh,while still keeping the essence that fans have loved about the character for so long,is the best way to go.Because saying that a filmmaker has to adopt this storyline is restricting and takes away from how creative,unique,and overall innovative he can be with the film.They kind of created new elements for the classic origin in Donner's film,and I think it is the only way a true reboot would ever be successful.As much as I love the comic book origin stories like the Man of Steel,and Superman:Birthright I feel by the studio saying that the filmmakers have to take that story and make it would be restricting and thus the film wouldn't turn out as well as it could.Because we've all seen superhero films where the director was allowed to be creative and tweak the origin as he sees fit and it works.

griffolyon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
Dr. Fate
Banned User

Quote:
I'd pay to see it.

I like your signature super-bats.

Dr. Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #22
supermanology

Actually LOIS AND CLARK was based on Byrne's version of Superman. I much prefer the Donner-verse to Byrne's revamp.

supermanology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #23
Memphis Slim
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-bats View Post
or a super-creepy-stalker.....who sleeps with a woman......then leaves her cold for 6 years.........fathers a bastard child.....then cries when he finds out his ex-flame has....GASP!!!!....moved on with another man............but I digress........

as for the topic of this thread.......the Man of Steel series could be a basis of a reboot........as could Birthright.....the Animated Series, etc.......or one that combines elements of all.

At least give us something new....something fresh....something different.....yet a treatment that still remains true to the character......but, alas we got SR..............one can only dream.....sigh......( hence my signature )....

Too funny!!!!!!

He's a Baby-Daddy!!!

Memphis Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
Dr. Fate
Banned User

With our luck it'll be another 20 or 30 years before a real restart of the Superman franchise comes along, unbound to the ideologies of the Donnerverse.

Dr. Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #25
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Byrne take on Superman brought to the big screen. It's not my favorite rendition of Superman, though. For all the things I think it does well (Superman's origin as an adult, Luthor as businessman) the main thing I never liked is the characterization of the Metropolis Clark. I've always preferred Clark to be a bumbling dork like in the Donner films or in All-Star. It's just more believable to me when the characters of Clark and Supes are separated by a thicker wall of difference in terms of mannerisms and actions. Reeve described it best when he said something along the lines of Lois either being a real idiot...or Clark being a great actor. Lois shouldn't be an idiot, so I've always preferred that type of Kent myself. Anyhoo, I still wouldn't mind seeing Byrne's take on Superman, because I honestly like a bunch of different takes on Superman for their own individual reasons, with Byrne's take being no exception to that rule.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote