Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #51
Qwertyİ
Banned User

Default Re: Love letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbaby View Post
what's wrong with that???
we got those in SR, didn't we? and there are so many kryptonite left (planted for the sequel) and it has a high chance singer will use the kryptonite to kick superman's ass again. isn't it a high possible? why mad?
I think you know why what you said was inappropriate.

Qwertyİ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #52
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyİ View Post
I thought it was clear that at the end of the movie he was happy again, as he was flying into the sunset with a smile.

In fact, it's incredibly obvious the sequel will have a lighter tone.
lighter tone? how? example? within the singer's storyline.

superbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #53
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
my ass is still painful, lex is still having a piece of kryptonite, if he returns how can i save my ass???...
That's 7 days probation. If you do crap like this one more time it will be permanant banning.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #54
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I thought it was clear that at the end of the movie he was happy again, as he was flying into the sunset with a smile.

Very clear. The tone of the movie was put there for a reason, as they say. At the end Superman was content with his place on Earth and was moving towards brighter days. I have been saying this all along as well.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #55
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
Very clear. The tone of the movie was put there for a reason, as they say. At the end Superman was content with his place on Earth and was moving towards brighter days. I have been saying this all along as well.
The dark tone of the film ended right about the time Superman had his arms extended in the crucifix position. Just thought I'd point that out for no reason.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #56
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
The dark tone of the film ended right about the time Superman had his arms extended in the crucifix position. Just thought I'd point that out for no reason.
I think there was still a dark and melancholy tone due to the fact that Superman was in a coma. I think it ended while he was speaking to Jason.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #57
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Really? I felt the whole scene was very serene. Like the three days between Jesus' death and resurrection. That's the beauty about movies I guess, everyone has a different interpretation.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #58
WormyT
Side-Kick

Quote:
but he has none!

maybe more superman's ass kicking... and giving him a daughter this time.
LOL!!

WormyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #59
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

The next film will be a throw back to Singer's favorite Star Trek film.

Superman vs Kirk

lol

Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #60
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Really? I felt the whole scene was very serene. Like the three days between Jesus' death and resurrection. That's the beauty about movies I guess, everyone has a different interpretation.
I can see that though, it did have a surreal type quality to it.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #61
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

The next film should be all Singer, I believe this time we'll see him at work on Superman using his complete vision.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:15 AM   #62
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well if it's any consolation, the plane scene and bullet in the eye scene had inspirations from John Byrne's Man of Steel, Superman holding Kitty's car was the same as the cover to Action Comics #1 and an article title Why the World Needs Superman appeared in Identity Crisis.
I think comic fans want some substance from the comics, not just superficial images.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #63
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe View Post
I think comic fans want some substance from the comics, not just superficial images.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. I was just giving Wesyeed an empty meaningless consolation.

So, since when did I stop being a comic fan?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:25 AM   #64
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:

It just seems contradictory to say that he was happier when it should be a gutwrenching experience to know that someone else is raising your child b/c you were a jerk. If he really feels happier now, he's a completely uncaring idiot. Oh, maybe that's who he is in Singer's movies.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #65
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Socko View Post
The next film should be all Singer, I believe this time we'll see him at work on Superman using his complete vision.
That's what scares me....

Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #66
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, I'm well aware of that. I was just giving Wesyeed an empty meaningless consolation.

So, since when did I stop being a comic fan?
Sorry, didn't know if you were a comic fan or not. As a big comic fan myself, that's what I like in comic adaptations.

Didn't get that you were just playing with Weyseed. Play away!!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #67
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
It just seems contradictory to say that he was happier when it should be a gutwrenching experience to know that someone else is raising your child b/c you were a jerk. If he really feels happier now, he's a completely uncaring idiot. Oh, maybe that's who he is in Singer's movies.
And when the sequel shows Superman watching over Jason, Supes will be labeled a stalker anyway.

EDIT: ( smiley is not aimed at you, just as a punctuation to the observation.)

Last edited by dude love; 06-23-2007 at 02:35 AM.
dude love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 AM   #68
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Sorry, didn't know if you were a comic fan or not. As a big comic fan myself, that's what I like in comic adaptations.

Didn't get that you were just playing with Weyseed. Play away!!
Oh, I'm a comic fan. Just a broke one.

That's why I've never used those sepcific instances against people saying Singer doesn't use the comics as a basis. They're only meant as cute homages.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #69
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, I'm a comic fan. Just a broke one.

That's why I've never used those sepcific instances against people saying Singer doesn't use the comics as a basis. They're only meant as cute homages.
I guess that's what some people don't like about SR, is that the only comic references are superficial and there is no story substance from the comics and in many ways SR contradicts Superman comics. I know that is at the root of why I dislike SR, Singer's characterization is just so opposite from the comic books in so many ways, that to me it may superficially look like superman, but it is the opposite of his character in a substantive way.

I think by doing this, he is unintentionally telling the audience that he doesn't care about the comics and he only 'gets' the Donner movie version and what he specifically identifies with from those films.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 AM   #70
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
I guess that's what some people don't like about SR, is that the only comic references are superficial and there is no story substance from the comics and in many ways SR contradicts Superman comics. I know that is at the root of why I dislike SR, Singer's characterization is just so opposite from the comic books in so many ways, that to me it may superficially look like superman, but it is the opposite of his character in a substantive way.

I think by doing this, he is unintentionally telling the audience that he doesn't care about the comics and he only 'gets' the Donner movie version and what he specifically identifies with from those films.
Even though I disagree with your opinion on Supermans characterization, I do understand where your coming from. Putting his mistakes aside, I still see him as what Superman is all about in the comics. But that's just me. You're a whole different human being with a whole different perspective.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:05 AM   #71
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Even though I disagree with your opinion on Supermans characterization, I do understand where your coming from. Putting his mistakes aside, I still see him as what Superman is all about in the comics. But that's just me. You're a whole different human being with a whole different perspective.

I think if you put his mistakes aside you are missing the whole point of Singer's version of the character though. While I'm not defending Singer's version of the character, you can't just 'put aside' what's in the movie. The character is made up of both aspects in the film. If you put those parts aside you are putting aside you are only looking at part of the character and essentially ignoring what Singer wanted to tell you about his version of the character. His version is a character who is different in his personal life than in his public life. I personally can't put it aside b/c it would negate all the conflict in the film and then there's no story. The story Singer told can't happen w/o that conflict that stems from Superman's inability to do the right thing in his personal life.

My experience with SUperman is that he tries to do the right thing in both his personal and public lives, there is no dichotomy between the two, he is not conflicted or ironic in that way.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:40 AM   #72
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
I think if you put his mistakes aside you are missing the whole point of Singer's version of the character though. While I'm not defending Singer's version of the character, you can't just 'put aside' what's in the movie. The character is made up of both aspects in the film. If you put those parts aside you are putting aside you are only looking at part of the character and essentially ignoring what Singer wanted to tell you about his version of the character. His version is a character who is different in his personal life than in his public life. I personally can't put it aside b/c it would negate all the conflict in the film and then there's no story. The story Singer told can't happen w/o that conflict that stems from Superman's inability to do the right thing in his personal life.

My experience with SUperman is that he tries to do the right thing in both his personal and public lives, there is no dichotomy between the two, he is not conflicted or ironic in that way.
His mistakes don't completely define him, and both seperate aspects shouldn't and don't cancel out one another. With or without his f**k ups he's still the same guy. But he did make those stuff ups and did set out to straighten everything out. Just like comic book Superman. Infact my problem lies with comic Superman being too perfect.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #73
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
His mistakes don't completely define him, and both seperate aspects shouldn't and don't cancel out one another. With or without his f**k ups he's still the same guy. But he did make those stuff ups and did set out to straighten everything out. Just like comic book Superman. Infact my problem lies with comic Superman being too perfect.
I think there's a difference between being perfect and doing something that you know is wrong. If there is a question about whether or not something is right and one chooses it, that is something I can understand as an honest mistake. But if one knows it's wrong and does it anyway, then it's not a mistake but really a failure to do what one knows is right.

As far as the f**k us go, in SR I don't think the mistake he made are in Superman's character. I don't think there is eveidence elsewhere to show that they are. He might make mistakes, but the one that Singer chose just aren't part of who Superman is. And he didn't straigten everything out, Jason's life is a mess. He has a whole dysfunctional family now. There's nothing that will ever straighten that out.

If you have a problem with the comic Superman being too perfect, that is who he is and how he has been portrayed and defined.

I do feel the mistakes he makes in SR define who he is and create all the conflict in the film.

I do think to directly contradict something as important as Lois knowing SUperman is also Clark before having a sexual relationship is a great misunderstanding of the character on Singer's part. It completely changes the character and the dynamic of the relationship. It is unrecognizable as the Superman/ Lois relationship. And what it says about Superman's character is not good.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #74
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
I think there's a difference between being perfect and doing something that you know is wrong. If there is a question about whether or not something is right and one chooses it, that is something I can understand as an honest mistake. But if one knows it's wrong and does it anyway, then it's not a mistake but really a failure to do what one knows is right.
We don't know the full circumstances of him leaving beyond trying to find Krypton.

Quote:
As far as the f**k us go, in SR I don't think the mistake he made are in Superman's character. I don't think there is eveidence elsewhere to show that they are. He might make mistakes, but the one that Singer chose just aren't part of who Superman is. And he didn't straigten everything out, Jason's life is a mess. He has a whole dysfunctional family now. There's nothing that will ever straighten that out.
Really? Jason has Richard and Lois as parents. They both love each other. Superman is his guardian angel (As much as it's eating him up inside). Beyond that he might only suspect Supes is his father.

Quote:
If you have a problem with the comic Superman being too perfect, that is who he is and how he has been portrayed and defined.
Uh uh. Wrong. There's plenty of stories that show just how flawed Superman really is. It's just that most stories don't give a damn.

Quote:
I do feel the mistakes he makes in SR define who he is and create all the conflict in the film.
Yes the mistakes created the conflict, no they don't define him. Him wanting to give his life to save the world and stirring others into action are what define him.

Quote:
I do think to directly contradict something as important as Lois knowing SUperman is also Clark before having a sexual relationship is a great misunderstanding of the character on Singer's part. It completely changes the character and the dynamic of the relationship. It is unrecognizable as the Superman/ Lois relationship. And what it says about Superman's character is not good.
Well, if you want to feel that way, that's up to you. But you might want to blame Superman II (Before you post Singer saying it didn't happen that way, save it. Because it still happened just not the "Sleepover in the mylar bed") as well, seeing as how that's what they where building off of.

In the end this line

Quote:
is what seperates our opinions on the characterization of Superman. I think it's way off the mark, but I'm not going to try and change what you think and there's no point for you to do likewise. Basically opinions and a**holes.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #75
Qwertyİ
Banned User

Quote:
You know, I think a father would only be concerned if his son was happy, rather than being concerned about who he believes to be his father. I think that would make him an uncaring jerk.

Qwertyİ is offline   Reply With Quote