The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default How can Superman become the icon again?

What do you think this movie should do to put superman back at the forefront of the pop culture conciousness?

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: How can Superman become the icon again?

I don't think this movie made Superman any less of an icon in regards to pop culture. Superman was everywhere, and because of Returns Superman is anywhere and everywhere. It's still cool to display the Superman logo on shirts or other areas, the movie didn't diminsh this, it only enhanced this. So despite the only solid performance of the movie, not great. Superman is still an icon.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Eros
Side-Kick

yea hes an icon, peope may not think hes cool or a badass or anything, but hes still an icon.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I see the \S/ everywhere.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
What do you think this movie should do to put superman back at the forefront of the pop culture conciousness?
Marvel is bringing back Thor and Iron Man and other old characters. It can be done to make Superman the top icon again. The 'S' is one of the most marketable symbols ever.

merced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

supermans everywhere; but returns kinda...didnt help or hurt the impact. It could of done either, but it was in da middle.
how to get supes back on top?

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=272696

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Well, these days there's more kids with Superman T-shirts. I even see adults wearing them from time to time. So Returns helped present and introduce Superman to the younger audiences.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

Bruce timm's movie needs to come out. that's all.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #9
memphissuperman
Newbie First Class

Superman will always be the "icon" period!Heck I'm proof of that because I have a (s) tat on my right arm!

But to stick with the topic most avg Superman fans only know what they have seen in the movies and nothing wrong with that at all but no one has really explored everything that is Superman and all his enemies etc..I'm hoping the next Superman movie starts going that way.

Sadly no one has seen the "badass" Superman yet because he hasn't had a challenge on screen but I think/hope that is about to change.

memphissuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:18 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Cryptorchid

You need a Dolorian, a flux capacitor, and a bolt of lightening.

Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
You need a Dolorian, a flux capacitor, and a bolt of lightening.
aint that the truth?

although i think what The Batman means to say is how to bring back that feeling that Superman "is the Main Man", the guy everyone looks up to, the guy everybody is proud of to say he's their hero, you know, Super Hero Numero Uno. because right now, when you say Superman, you'd probably get a snicker on the side saying "boyscout" or "boring" or "bastard father".

right now Batman is getting that recognition. i'm not saying he doesnt deserve it, but Batman has always shunned the spotlight, it feels kinda wierd that he's rallying the troops now while Superman wallows in the shadows.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
superbaby
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
aint that the truth?

although i think what The Batman means to say is how to bring back that feeling that Superman "is the Main Man", the guy everyone looks up to, the guy everybody is proud of to say he's their hero, you know, Super Hero Numero Uno. because right now, when you say Superman, you'd probably get a snicker on the side saying "boyscout" or "boring" or "bastard father".

right now Batman is getting that recognition. i'm not saying he doesnt deserve it, but Batman has always shunned the spotlight, it feels kinda wierd that he's rallying the troops now while Superman wallows in the shadows.
batman???
i thought spiderman is the one.
and i don't think BB2 will do very good.

back to the topic. it's easy. when WB can do the "right thing" for Superman, he will be back to his prime again.

superbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #13
Steelsheen
Iconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbaby View Post
batman???
i thought spiderman is the one.
trying to keep the discussion within DC boundaries.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #14
November Rain
Single Mother

he needs to represent and fight the issues that people are thinking about now.

unfortunately he's become a charicature of himself instead.

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #15
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
Well, these days there's more kids with Superman T-shirts. I even see adults wearing them from time to time. So Returns helped present and introduce Superman to the younger audiences.
I rarely see kids with a Superman shirt on. I always see them with Spider-Man shirts and bookbags. And not just this year, this has been the last few years at least.

And honestly, even though it doesn't really matter to me, and is by no means an indicator of quality of a movie, I wonder, how many kids, actually really liked Superman Returns.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #16
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Younger kids are easier to please I would imagine, but as they get more opinionated I would imagine they disliked Returns more.

I think the \S/ and what the \S/ represents was already present before Returns came out, but the Year of Superman amped up the presence of Superman. It wasn't just Returns, it was many different incarnations of Superman. He was everywhere.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #17
darkseid26
Banned User

just the other day i saw a truck with a huge \s/ across its hood with red, yellow, and blue striking down to the end of the truck.

supes still an icon.

darkseid26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #18
Angeloz
Side-Kick

Vader could freeze him in carbonite.

Wrong film. Never mind.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #19
nintendo nerd
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
He is still the icon. IMO Superman Returns prove that by showing all his powers and good inside him. That even though he is from another planet, he would do everything to help the people of Earth, even if it cost him his own life. IMO.

nintendo nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
I don't think this movie made Superman any less of an icon in regards to pop culture. Superman was everywhere, and because of Returns Superman is anywhere and everywhere. It's still cool to display the Superman logo on shirts or other areas, the movie didn't diminsh this, it only enhanced this. So despite the only solid performance of the movie, not great. Superman is still an icon.
Someone can be an icon with negative corrolation however (I mean, if you want to get technical, Osama Bin Laden is an icon), and I think that would be a more appropriate context for the question. How do you make Superman a "popular icon" again? I think this movie has proven that his popularity has floundered a bit and it is arguable that the movie hurt public perception of him.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #21
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think this movie has proven that his popularity has floundered a bit and it is arguable that the movie hurt public perception of him.
Argued by retarded people, maybe.

Personally, I'm simply of the opinion Superman just isn't a hero of...well, this age. As...depressing as it may be, people aren't looking for someone to look up to, someone who highlights all the great things about humanity, no, they'd much rather prefer that flawed, ****ed up hero in a mask, than a beacon of light in Superman.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
Sun_Down
You Best Is Enough

Public opinion is such a variable thing. Superman is, was and always will be THE superhero, but right now, he's simply not AS popular.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #23
DrMylesOBoogie
Side-Kick

he would be the #1 icon if Smallville was written better and if he had a truly great movie in the last 10 years. sadly smallville never lived up to its potential and Superman Returns was one of the biggest turkies to ever be released.

DrMylesOBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Someone can be an icon with negative corrolation however (I mean, if you want to get technical, Osama Bin Laden is an icon), and I think that would be a more appropriate context for the question. How do you make Superman a "popular icon" again? I think this movie has proven that his popularity has floundered a bit and it is arguable that the movie hurt public perception of him.
Very good point my friend. An Icon doesnt necessarily have to be a positive category. I think the version of Superman featured in Returns wasn't popular with the crowds, but I don't think it diminished the popularity of the symbol. I think the symbol is more popular than the character.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #25
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Argued by retarded people, maybe.

Personally, I'm simply of the opinion Superman just isn't a hero of...well, this age. As...depressing as it may be, people aren't looking for someone to look up to, someone who highlights all the great things about humanity, no, they'd much rather prefer that flawed, ****ed up hero in a mask, than a beacon of light in Superman.
I don't like a flawed Superman. He can still be given an edge. Not black and white. Having fun with the powers and scaring the bad guys with a wink and nod. I think he can have an edge without being flawed.

merced is offline   Reply With Quote