The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 02-07-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
nemo7
Side-Kick

Default Time for new X-Men director

As a kid in the early Seventies, I started out with Spiderman, but it was the X-Men that really lit the fire. As an adult, I’ve had the good fortune to see superheroes hit the small and big screens. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed a good many of them.

That said, it’s time to have Mr. Singer step away from the X-Franchise. He’s had his take on them, which, while decent, are too white bread over all. It’s time to get a more aggressive person in the big chair. Someone who’ll let the X-Men’s hair down.

Number One: Put each X-Man in his/her own unique costume!
There’s a wealth of visuals to mine from the comic books. ENOUGH of the black leather and trenchcoat ******** and sorority OMG-we-all-match hive mentality. The X-Men (circa issue #98) were billed as “ALL NEW, ALL DIFFERENT ”, how about we try that approach for a change?

Number Two: We need a new Wolverine; much shorter, antisocial, less pretty, and really muscled. Not that Jackman didn’t get into good shape, but he’s a J. Crew model. Wolverine is a pugnacious, short, heavily muscled misanthrope. He also isn’t afraid to wear pink. Or yellow. Or a Shi’ar Imperial Guard’s costume (Fang). Finding this actor will be much more challenging.

Number Three: Cyclops is a key member. He needs to return. Not as a boy, as a man; a LEADER. He’s not my favorite X-Man by any stretch, but he is iconic to the team and his decimation of Grand Central Station back in the day was awesome.

Number Four: Colossus. Think John Cena, Triple H-type size/build. The actor doesn’t have to say much, just be big, cut & imposing as he crushes people and things. Also, Piotr has segmented armor (see John Byrne’s). It should overtly roll on & roll off segment by segment, similar to the Michael Keaton Batmobile’s protective armor in BATMAN. Also, lose the Captain Planet hair and reference Byrne’s take on it.

Suggested team: Cyclops, Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, Prof. X, Wolverine. I’ll also throw in Gambit, who can keep his leather coat (lose the stupid bowler hat) but has to do a lot of staff fighting and speak with a thick, annoying “cajun accent” (listen to Brad Pitt in SNATCH for degree of accent; not that he’s speaking “cajun”…). And while rendering the rest of the team virtually meaningless, we need a beautiful Phoenix, too (again see Byrne’s Phoenix).

Suggested villains: Sentinels. GIGANTIC Sentinels. Take a good look at the MARVEL LEGENDS series 10 B.A.F. Sentinel. Look also at X-Men: Schism #5 Kubert cover.

nemo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
MakeMinesMarvel
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Default Re: Time for new X-Men director

I think we'll get individual costumes they have to see the trend has swung that way.

Unfortunately Jackman will be Wolverine probably until 2020.

Fox has a gold mind of characters

The Fox/Marvel Cinematic Universe can support

Two X-Men Films
Wolverine Solo
Deadpool Solo
Gambit Solo
Mystique Solo
Fantastic Four Films
Silver Surfer Solo
X-Force
New Mutants Spin-off
Starjammers Spin-off

Get your head out your butts Fox!

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
kasjan
Side-Kick

Giant Sentinels? No thx.
And Cudmore is bigger than Cena.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Id like Bryan Singer to direct three more films after Apocalypse.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Lip
Side-Kick

Singer would be great directing Wolverine solo movies.

I agree we need a new director. Singer's movies are good, but we need a director who actually understands what "team" means.

Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Joss Whedon

A God has to ascend to heaven eventually.
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
x-er
Side-Kick

I've said it countless times and again: just one cinematographic jewel from Fox, an X-Film helmed by Oscar-league director Alfonso Cuarón or Christopher Nolan, would fulfill my directorial needs.

Nonetheless, I think Singer has done the best job yet and wouldn't blame him for not making X3, the decisive film in which the X-Men would have been consolidated into a united team. DOFP has erased X3 precisely for this reason.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Lip
Side-Kick

From the "Oscar-league directors", Aronofsky almost helmed Wolverine.

Josh Trank, Edgar Wright, Ava Duvernay, Michelle MacLaren, Timothy Van Pattern, Allen Coulter and Cary Fukunaga are some of the directors I would love to see in the franchise. Not necessarily on a X-Men movie.

Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Still wished Aronofsky did The Wolverine. Not sure how it would've been different though, I didn't follow that production closely.

EnDz0n3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
Sithborg
Burn Jedi!!!

I was lurking around the time Wolverine was in production. From what I've heard, I wasn't too impressed. Still, it was fun to see a banned poster argue for it.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
I was lurking around the time Wolverine was in production. From what I've heard, I wasn't too impressed. Still, it was fun to see a banned poster argue for it.
And then create new accounts to continue arguing and think we didn’t realize it was him...

Old 02-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo7 View Post
Number Two: We need a new Wolverine; much shorter, antisocial, less pretty, and really muscled. Not that Jackman didn’t get into good shape, but he’s a J. Crew model. Wolverine is a pugnacious, short, heavily muscled misanthrope. He also isn’t afraid to wear pink. Or yellow. Or a Shi’ar Imperial Guard’s costume (Fang). Finding this actor will be much more challenging.
“Really muscled”? I saw Hugh Jackman’s play on Broadway in the front row last week and his arms practically needed separate billing. And this is when he’s not playing Wolverine.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

U can't do much about the h8. But u need to lower ur standards if u think Jackman isn't buff enough. And Jackman's prettyness has given way to ruggedness as he ages. He looks more like Wolverine than ever. And Jackman's Wolverine clearly likes to keep to himself. He isn't a walking a-hole, but he isn't exactly amiable either.

U get me?

A God has to ascend to heaven eventually.
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
nemo7
Side-Kick

Really...?

nemo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
Cherry
Side-Kick

We have had plenty of directors tackle the X-Men franchise so far, with varying results. Now, if we are talking a new director for a reboot, I would rather see a handful of other X-films in this universe and give it proper closure before we go with whole new directorial vision. There are several plots from the comics I would like to see play out before ending, like Mr. Sinister, X-Force, and Cable. Once I get that, they can do whatever they want.

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
x-er
Side-Kick

^No reboot. All they have to do is plan carefully, with the creative/producing team they have now, and pick potential directorial candidates for future films. The difference is they have to pick good directors this time. Otherwise, the monotony of a single director would hurt the franchise.

x-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Still wished Aronofsky did The Wolverine. Not sure how it would've been different though, I didn't follow that production closely.
we might have gotten something a bit closer to miniseries.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

There is possibilty Apocalypse will be Bryan Singer's last X film as director.
He will have done 4 films as director.That's a lot In any franchise.

However it's more urgent to find a director for gambit than who will do next
full X-Men film 2 or 3 years after Apocalypse.

Hugh Jackman looks great as Wolverine.While he isn't exect same height as In comics beyond that he seems totally like Wolverine.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #19
Sithborg
Burn Jedi!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
we might have gotten something a bit closer to miniseries.
No. No we weren't.

As for Singer, let him stick around as long as he wants. I like what he's done, and the direction he seems to be going.

Sithborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #20
MakeMinesMarvel
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

If Singer can do untitled marvel movie 2018 plus a trilogy with the new cyclops Jean and Storm I'd be happy

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote