The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #76
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: Any new "Y: The Last Man" news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Ooh, didn't think of him... He'd be good.

It's the kind of part he could definitely pull off, but really unlike anything he's done before.
Honestly, I was thinking about this earlier and realized I'm a lot more worried about who they cast as Dr. Mann and 355. I mean, you could end up with Lucy Liu and Vivica A Fox or something.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #77
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Honestly, I was thinking about this earlier and realized I'm a lot more worried about who they cast as Dr. Mann and 355. I mean, you could end up with Lucy Liu and Vivica A Fox or something.
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing some hot Lucy/Vivica lesbo action, but yeah, other than that it just wouldn't do...

If the character of Doc Mann were older, an obvious choice would be Ming Na. But then that's the problem. Too obvious.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #78
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing some hot Lucy/Vivica lesbo action, but yeah, other than that it just wouldn't do...

If the character of Doc Mann were older, an obvious choice would be Ming Na. But then that's the problem. Too obvious.
Yeah, that's the other problem, most of the real famous Asian actresses don't speak fluent English, or at least English without an accent. But Ming Na would be a good but as you said, obvious choice.

My God, I just got the thought of Jada Pinkett Smith as 355. I don't know if that's brilliant or scary.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #79
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, that's the other problem, most of the real famous Asian actresses don't speak fluent English, or at least English without an accent. But Ming Na would be a good but as you said, obvious choice.

My God, I just got the thought of Jada Pinkett Smith as 355. I don't know if that's brilliant or scary.
Could be worse, could be Hollywood's it girl for the black-woman-with-an-attitude part, Queen Latifah. Now THAT'S scary.

How 'bout Nona Gaye for the part?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #80
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Could be worse, could be Hollywood's it girl for the black-woman-with-an-attitude part, Queen Latifah. Now THAT'S scary.

How 'bout Nona Gaye for the part?
Well the queen is on a diet....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #81
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well the queen is on a diet....
Great. We can look forward to her playing 355... in about 5 years.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #82
Chaos Bringer
Side-Kick

Regina King for AGENT 355

wicked actress, could handle fight scenes and have them appear that it's indeed her kicking butt. my vote is there for her.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #83
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
Maybe Shia himself wants the film to be rated R, staying true to the source material. Plus he may want to do something different then his usual PG13 fare.
Dude, Shia LeBouf knows his audience. He's not going to demand an R if that's what the studio and producers want. In a way, this is already different from his usual fare, but it will still be a PG-13 rating.

Quote:
Pretty much every big Hollywood star has had success with R rated thrillers/action movies. Will Smith, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Stallone, Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, Arnold Schwarzenegger etc. So if he's the next big thing he's got to do an R-Rated film sooner or later.
First of all, Shia LeBouf isn't quite at the levels of those guys. Second, he's much younger. A lot of Shia's fanbase are teenaged or pre-teen youths. Just becaue he will do an R-rated film sooner or later, doesn't mean it will be with Y. Look what happened to Lindsay Lohan after she turned to trashy R-rated movies. He won't risk it right now .

Quote:
300 did well as rated R and you could probably do two sequels and they would do well. Watchmen will be the real test, if they can have a big budget intelligent story R-rated comic book adaptation then why not?
Dude, you still aren't getting it. This has nothing to do with 300 or Watchmen. Its about this moving being a Shia LeBouf star vehicle. And there is no way this gets greenlit to be a big budget movie franchise WITH an R-rating and starring Shia LeBouf. The studio will NOT allow it.

Also 300 was a decently budgeted, stylized, spartan war movie. It's safer material for an R-rating because there's more of an audience for that. An audience for Y with an R for the studios would be more obscure and smaller. Not necessarily true, that's simply the mindset Hollywood works with.

Just like Will Smith knows now not to do R-rated, star vehicle movies anymore after Bad Boys 2 (which he admittedly is very ashamed of as he stated in EW, saying he should not have done the movie because he felt he had to).

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:56 AM   #84
Antonello Blueberry
Inglorious bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
First of all, Shia LeBouf isn't quite at the levels of those guys. Second, he's much younger. A lot of Shia's fanbase are teenaged or pre-teen youths. Just becaue he will do an R-rated film sooner or later, doesn't mean it will be with Y. Look what happened to Lindsay Lohan after she turned to trashy R-rated movies. He won't risk it right now .
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473488/
A R rated movie with Shia. And not so bad either.

Quote:
Dude, you still aren't getting it. This has nothing to do with 300 or Watchmen. Its about this moving being a Shia LeBouf star vehicle. And there is no way this gets greenlit to be a big budget movie franchise WITH an R-rating and starring Shia LeBouf. The studio will NOT allow it.
I won't be so sure.

Antonello Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #85
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonello Blueberry View Post
Good movie, but not exactly a blockbuster.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #86
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
Good movie, but not exactly a blockbuster.
What does blockbuster have anything to do with it? A good performance is a good performance

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #87
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Dude, Shia LeBouf knows his audience. He's not going to demand an R if that's what the studio and producers want. In a way, this is already different from his usual fare, but it will still be a PG-13 rating.
Well I'm not part of any Shia Fan Club but from reading the Vanity Fair article on him last year, watching Project Greenlight II and his other interviews he doesn't seem like the guy, especially if he's such a fan of the work.

Quote:
That's because those movies blew. The graphic novels are 10x better anyting Lohan has been attached to in the past few years, a faithful adaptation would not suck.

Quote:

Also 300 was a decently budgeted, stylized, spartan war movie. It's safer material for an R-rating because there's more of an audience for that. An audience for Y with an R for the studios would be more obscure and smaller. Not necessarily true, that's simply the mindset Hollywood works with.
Screw his fanbase. The premise sells the movie. It could have a no-name ala 300 and do well. Have a dynamite trailer that shows off the Vertigo series' craziness and they'll fill the theatres. Indy 4 and Eagle Eye will give him an older fanbase, ones who can purchase a R rated movie ticket.

Warner Bros.' Watchmen is even a bigger risk with the big budget, long running time and zero stars in it yet it has its R Rating. How did that get greenlit?

Zack put his foot down and ensured Watchmen would get an R-rating and the budget required because that's what the fans wanted. The premise/trailer will sell Watchmen.

If D. J. Caruso and Shia (and the fans) demand that it gets an R, then the studios should agree since he'll have done Indy 4, Eagle Eye and Transformers 2. It won't be out for 2009, plenty of time for those 16/17 year olds in 2007 to celebrate their 18th birthdays.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #88
JackBauer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
What does blockbuster have anything to do with it? A good performance is a good performance
Actually, it has everything to do with it. I agree, it's a good performance, but to the guys in charge it doesn't matter. It matters that the only R-rated movie LaBeouf made was far from the kind of blockbuster they're hoping Y will be.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #89
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

I dont think the concept will sell the movie necessarily. Ithink word of mouth will though. This movie will sneak up on people rather than blow up on the screen i think

Old 02-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #90
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
Actually, it has everything to do with it. I agree, it's a good performance, but to the guys in charge it doesn't matter. It matters that the only R-rated movie LaBeouf made was far from the kind of blockbuster they're hoping Y will be.
People in charge have been taking chances with actors lately. We are seeing more original concepts that just happen to be weighed down by old habits. I see the film industry evolving over the next couple years.

Plus Shia will have starred in Indy 4, an all-ages affair. An older audience will see find him plus he seems to have been working hard, getting a lot of publicity especially around Transformers release, and has been included on many magazines and websites up-and-comers list. He has gone from tv to MOW to indie flick to low-budget flick to mainstream horror to mainstream popcorn flick to supporting character in beloved franchise. I see no reason why he cant be in an r-rated movie.

But i have just started to read Y and I cant quite speak for how well he is for this role.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #91
explode7
Banned User

What is Y: The Last Man powers???

explode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #92
Antonello Blueberry
Inglorious bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by explode7 View Post
What is Y: The Last Man powers???
He can shag any girl he wants. Mostly.

Antonello Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #93
explode7
Banned User

I wish I had those powers.

explode7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #94
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonello Blueberry View Post
Erroneous. Not a starring role for Shia LeBouf. Micro-budgeted, barely distributed movie. PRE-Disturbia and Transformers. Has no bearing or anything to do with Y, The Last Man which is not going to be cheap and if LeBouf stars in it, it won't be rated R.

Quote:
I won't be so sure.
Then you need better arguments to back it up.

Quote:
Well I'm not part of any Shia Fan Club but from reading the Vanity Fair article on him last year, watching Project Greenlight II and his other interviews he doesn't seem like the guy, especially if he's such a fan of the work.
Seem like what? So what if he's a fan? That doesn't mean they will go for an R.

Quote:
That's because those movies blew. The graphic novels are 10x better anyting Lohan has been attached to in the past few years, a faithful adaptation would not suck.
I agree but that doesn't mean that Hollywood would agree with you or see it your way. Shia's been in some stinkers as well.

Quote:
Screw his fanbase. The premise sells the movie. It could have a no-name ala 300 and do well. Have a dynamite trailer that shows off the Vertigo series' craziness and they'll fill the theatres. Indy 4 and Eagle Eye will give him an older fanbase, ones who can purchase a R rated movie ticket.
Dude, you can't tell that to a Hollywood production studio THAT WANTS TO MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE!

Dude Indiana Jones is going to be a PG rated freaking family movie. It's not all of the sudden going to mean Y, The Last Man will work as Rated R. You think Eagle Eye is going to come out with an R rating? I guarantee you right now it won't.

Quote:
Warner Bros.' Watchmen is even a bigger risk with the big budget, long running time and zero stars in it yet it has its R Rating. How did that get greenlit?
It was called 300. That's the biggest and only reason. Also we are still a year off from Watchmen's release, who knows how it will actually end up being.

Do you know what happened last year? At Wondercon before 300 came out, according to Snyder the studio wasn't behind an R-rated, big budget super hero movie at all.

The sole reason Watchmen is happening right now as it is, is because of 300. Alan Horn pretty much admitted it in EW after 300 came out and did huge.

Quote:
If D. J. Caruso and Shia (and the fans) demand that it gets an R, then the studios should agree since he'll have done Indy 4, Eagle Eye and Transformers 2. It won't be out for 2009, plenty of time for those 16/17 year olds in 2007 to celebrate their 18th birthdays.
Those are a lot of ifs that aren't neccessarily true or going to happen.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-14-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #95
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
Erroneous. Not a starring role for Shia LeBouf. Micro-budgeted, barely distributed movie. PRE-Disturbia and Transformers. Has no bearing or anything to do with Y, The Last Man which is not going to be cheap and if LeBouf stars in it, it won't be rated R.
Shia was definitely the star of that movie.

Why would it have anything to do with Y? It was a good performance though.

Quote:
Dude Indiana Jones is going to be a PG rated freaking family movie. It's not all of the sudden going to mean Y, The Last Man will work as Rated R. You think Eagle Eye is going to come out with an R rating? I guarantee you right now it won't.
Indys not rated yet. The PG rumor was involved with the trailer's rating.

Quote:
It was called 300. That's the biggest and only reason. Also we are still a year off from Watchmen's release, who knows how it will actually end up being.
But how'd 300 get greenlit?

You're right about the ifs though. Hollywood trends seem all over the place lately

Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #96
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:

Seem like what? So what if he's a fan? That doesn't mean they will go for an R.
Seems like the guy who won't compromise the quality if he has the power to do so.

Quote:
I agree but that doesn't mean that Hollywood would agree with you or see it your way. Shia's been in some stinkers as well.
What are the movies where he was the headlining star were stinkers?

Quote:
Indiana Jones will get a PG-13 rating. It would never go to the status of a "freaking family movie." Go back and watch the films, there just wasn't a PG-13 rating until after Indy 2.
The franchise targets all demos and has been around for over 25 years. Eagle Eye probably won't be R but it sure isn't going to be a freaking family movie.

If WB will allow 300 and Watchmen to have no names and a lot of money invested for an R rated film but won't allow Shia because he finished a kids show 6 years ago and starred in some of the biggest films of the summer during that time (Transformers 1/2 and Indy 4) to star in a R rated adaptation of Y:The Last Man then who would the studio allow to star in that role?

There's money to be made with R rated films.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/mpaa.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm

You show the cities around the world with all the dead men and the disaster area looking America, the one breasted Daughters of Amazon, Yorrick cracking one liners, the fight on the train, the mask he wears, the White House scene, the town of female criminals etc., Yorrick's encounter with Sonia and any dialogue that adds intrigue in the trailer it will do well if it remains faithful.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #97
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Shia was definitely the star of that movie.

Why would it have anything to do with Y? It was a good performance though.
You seemed to think because he did one cheap-o R-rated flick that no one ever saw means that Y will probably be R as well.

Quote:
Indys not rated yet. The PG rumor was involved with the trailer's rating.
Dude, no Indiana Jones movie has ever been rated above PG-13. It's family entertainment. Indiana Jones doesn't mean Shia LeBouf gets an R-rated audience. It will pretty much be the same audience that saw Transformers last summer.

Quote:
But how'd 300 get greenlit?
It along with another 300 Spartans movie were in development for quite some time in Hollywood, the other one was GATES OF FIRE which was being developed by George Clooney. Zach Snyder hit it big after DAWN OF THE DEAD and came onto 300. 300? How did it get greenlit? Two words: SIN CITY.

Quote:
Seems like the guy who won't compromise the quality if he has the power to do so.
Shia LeBouf does not have the clout or credibility to command that kind of power. He's the Hollywood IT Boy at the moment and a rising star, but he's not Tom Cruise or Will Smith.

Something else for you guys to think about. Virtually few if any directors in Hollywood ever get final cut on a movie, especially a big studio movie.

Quote:
What are the movies where he was the headlining star were stinkers?
Well one he was in that definitely sucked was I, ROBOT. Another was CONSTANTINE. I, ROBOT alienated Alex Proyas from Fox and pretty much Hollywood in general.

Quote:
Indiana Jones will get a PG-13 rating. It would never go to the status of a "freaking family movie." Go back and watch the films, there just wasn't a PG-13 rating until after Indy 2.
They are family movies. Opening weekend families will be going to see the movie and taking their kids to see it just like Star Wars and Spider-man. Get over it.

Don't act like Indiana Jones is edgy almost R-rated material.

Quote:
The franchise targets all demos and has been around for over 25 years. Eagle Eye probably won't be R but it sure isn't going to be a freaking family movie.
All demos = broad family friendly material like Pixar films. And there's nothing wrong with that.

So what if its a family movie or not, its still not going to be R as a Shia LeBouf star vehicle.

Quote:
If WB will allow 300 and Watchmen to have no names and a lot of money invested for an R rated film but won't allow Shia because he finished a kids show 6 years ago and starred in some of the biggest films of the summer during that time (Transformers 1/2 and Indy 4) to star in a R rated adaptation of Y:The Last Man then who would the studio allow to star in that role?
300 had probably half of the budget of Watchmen. The film was also testing excellently which put a lot of faith in it for WB. 300 was also building off of the popularity of SIN CITY as well. Also, it's a sword and sandals war epic. When those are done in PG-13, its safe material for an R-rating. I think you aren't realizing another reason 300 had an R-rating because it didn't have a big star in it like Shia LeBouf who plays best with a PG-13 audience.

You can believe what you want, and live in your happy world avoiding Hollywood and studio politics. But the fact of the matter is this, plain and simple, a studio will not simply get behind an R-rated comic book movie starring Shia LeBouf if its a Shia LeBouf star vehicle.

The only reason Watchmen is happening as it is right now is because of 300. So you can keep ignoring that as well. Snyder at Wondercon talked about it, before the release of 300, WB didn't like the idea of an R-rated comic book super hero movie.

Dude, don't show me this ****ing bull****. You are pissing me the hell off. Did I say I agree with the philosophy? No I don't! I know there is money in R-rated movies. I know R-rated movies can play with mainstream audiences and make a ton of money! I ****ING KNOW! I hate the idea that Y would be dumbed down and cut to a PG-13 rating. I'm simply trying to fill you guys in on the reality of the situation.

That doesn't mean that people still aren't stubborn or set on certain things and how they feel a star or draw plays with certain crowds.

Quote:
You show the cities around the world with all the dead men and the disaster area looking America, the one breasted Daughters of Amazon, Yorrick cracking one liners, the fight on the train, the mask he wears, the White House scene, the town of female criminals etc., Yorrick's encounter with Sonia and any dialogue that adds intrigue in the trailer it will do well if it remains faithful.
I've read every single issue of Y. I've read the 1st draft. While I'm not sure how well it could actually play to an audience, you are letting your fandom cloud your judgement.

Chances are WB will essentially want something like I AM LEGEND, but more youth oriented with Shia, and more wise-cracking since the comics have an odd, wicked sense of humor.

- CM Punk
Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #98
Chaos Bringer
Side-Kick

why does Y have to be rated R ?

there's nothing in there i think that's not possible to do in pg13 ...

am i missing something ?

Last edited by Chaos Bringer; 02-14-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: cuz i said so that's why, want to fight about it ?
Chaos Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #99
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
You seemed to think because he did one cheap-o R-rated flick that no one ever saw means that Y will probably be R as well.
Why does he have to star in an R-rated movie? What r-rated superstar young actor are you thinking about?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #100
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

You pointed it out, not me.

- CM Punk