The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #276
Kent Allard
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
The honest truth is that a majority of people are going to be more familiar with the campy Green Hornet from the sixties, not the semi-serious pulp character. So that they would make the movie funny and off beat makes sense. It will have retro appeal for people who grew up watching Green Hornet.
I'm afraid that you're mistaken -- Batman was the campy 60s superhero TV series. The Green Hornet was not campy, but rather a far more direct/genuine adaptation of the character[s] -- some might consider the show "cheesy" today, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Check out Aurélien POITRIMOULT 2006 Green Hornet fan film [which has been covered here on SHH!]. This is what a Green Hornet movie should be like - unfortunately everything Rogen has said and done in regards to the movie keeps signaling that he is making the GH into a comedy. If Rogen wants to do a comedy-type superhero film he should either find a hero with comedy built in [e.g. Plastic Man] or create a character, even if it's a take-off of an existing hero.

A Green Hornet movie should be in true and direct competition with WB's Batman Begins + The Dark Knight movies. This is not to say that it needs to be a "dark" film like BB/TDK -- but to do a GH film right the movie should draw on some of the same pulp hero elements that helped inspire first the Green Hornet and later were the inspiration the Batman.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABleedingCorpse View Post
Britt Reid, a newspaper publisher by day who by night goes out in his masked "Green Hornet" identity to fight crime as a vigilante, accompanied by his similarly masked Asian manservant Kato and driving a car, equipped with advanced technology, called "Black Beauty". The Green Hornet is often portrayed as a fair-to-above average hand-to-hand combatant and is often armed with a gun that sprays knock-out gas

Now if that doesn't sound like a copy-cat superhero, I don't know what else to say.
If you're trying to say that the Green Hornet sounds like a copycat of the Batman, you'd probably like to know that that the Green Hornet [1936] first appeared over 3 years before Batman [1939].

Last edited by Kent Allard; 02-25-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Kent Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #277
Octoberist
point blank

The thing is that The Green Hornet prior the TV show has fallen out of the lexicon of both the public and even geekdom.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #278
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
It's funny, how else do you get 'experience' in a action with without first being in an 'action' film??? Please, explain how?
Here's an example....Bruce Willis had his first major TV gig in Moonlighting, it was a show that had some elements of phyiscal comedy and action....when Die Hard was being cast, they had initially wanted Stallone (I think) but the producers wanted to go in a different direction and I believe one of the writers was a fan of Moonlighting and suggested Willis for the role.....

Rogen is known for dialogue driven comedies and sight gags....Ill take NPH for Green Hornet

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #279
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
Here's an example....Bruce Willis had his first major TV gig in Moonlighting, it was a show that had some elements of phyiscal comedy and action....when Die Hard was being cast, they had initially wanted Stallone (I think) but the producers wanted to go in a different direction and I believe one of the writers was a fan of Moonlighting and suggested Willis for the role.....

Rogen is known for dialogue driven comedies and sight gags....Ill take NPH for Green Hornet

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!?!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #280
ABleedingCorpse
Superhero Iran? Hype That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
The thing is that The Green Hornet prior the TV show has fallen out of the lexicon of both the public and even geekdom.
Fans of the old radio show are long by now dead or in a retirment home and have no clue who Rogan is or that a movie is being made or care. All they care about is when dinner time is and if the cute nurse is going to be giving them a sponge bath.

Sure, making a more direct toned film on GH would make people more familar with the OLD GH character....but if they did that....guess what, people wouldn't be interested or impressed by it because they'll just feel that it's trying too hard to be Batman. We've already seen The Dark Knight and fans loved that...however, like it's been said before, to start now with making every superhero film so serious would get stale and boring.

Here's a character, who is in all reality of today unknown or cared about, to be brought to the screen with a actor who is proven to make films make money, and have it be best of both worlds....serious plot with comedic elements thrown it to keep people from feeling so bored about a character they possibly would never care about.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #281
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Wah wah wah, he's not handsome enough, wah.
You'd be up for Seth as Batman then?

Quote:
Either your just trying to find something to piss and moan about or you actually are a Green Hornet purist, in which case how are the 3 of you doing?
I'm pissing and moaning because there are legit reasons to.

Being a GH purist isn't a bad thing. There are many more of us then there were for Hellboy. Remember that movie? It did quite well.

Quote:
Seriousley, I have always loved The Green Hornet, I remember as a kid listening to a dollar store cassete tape of the old radio show, I must have listened to that tape over and over again.
And I loved the 60's tv show, as campy as it may have been.
If you love the character so much why are you settling for a parody?

Quote:
And I loved the 60's tv show, as campy as it may have been.
Fair enough. But the franchise doesn't need to be tied to that show forever. They could actually make a great serious GH film now, theynever could in the 60's.

Quote:
But this isn't Batman or James Bond. This Indiana Jones or Superman. This is NOT an iconic character with a massive fanbase.
Only icons can get good movies? Really? You hated the Nolan Batman films, the del Toro Hellboys? We comic fans should take all the bad FF, Catwoman films Hollywood gives us just because they say so? That only leads to bad movies and damaged franchises. Adaptions like LOTR, Nolan's Batman, del Toro's Hellboy didn't get crated by film makers who did the least to make those films they were innovators who did the best at getting the quality as high as they could and respected the franchise they were involved with.

Quote:
He was a cult favorite decades ago and now, he is about to get the biggest bit of exposure he has had in over 40 years.
Which is a good reason to make a faithful adaption rather then tolerate a crappy film which spits on the concept.

Quote:
So what's it matter that Jude Law isn't The Green Hornet?
Because Jude Law would make a good GH?

Quote:
I would like a pulpy, noir-ish period peice as much as any GH fan, but that movie wasn't going to be made, never will.
It never will if Seths film gets made. At least with no film the franchise will have a better chance of getting a faithful version. This is Jack Black's GL all over again.

Quote:
Michal Gondry is an extremley talented film maker, this isn't going to be a Judd Apatow film so leave your pre-concieved notions at the door.
Were Gondry in charge and he had a serious action star I'd agree with you but that is not true. Seth is writing, producing and starring in this. He's the cause for concern. Don't you think he'd bring Apatow's influence into the project? he has woked for him a few times IIRC and its not like he's denying he wants to turn GH into a farse.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #282
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!?!
I read that too and started cracking up. NPH....Oh..that's comedy right there. haha

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #283
BlackLantern
Banned User

Quote:
I read that too and started cracking up. NPH....Oh..that's comedy right there. haha
exactly....if people are supporting Seth Rogen as Green Hornet, then a comedic actor like NPH should be considered as well....at least NPH is in fantastic shape and can actually be taken seriously when its called for...Rogen is a goofy looking mother ****er and I don't see anyone, not even my cat, being intimidated by him

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #284
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:

So you agree then, that a studio chose to pick someone who wasn't the 'type' yet to star in a BIG action film? Moonlighting was a good show, I had a teacher who would play episodes of the show when he was hungover and couldn't teach. But I do remember, DieHard and Moonlighting were two completely different things. Just like you can compare Pinnapple Express with Green Hornet.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #285
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Britt Reid is not Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is a deep multi-demensional character, hence the decision for WB to cast Bale.
The only difference between Bruce Wayne and Britt Reid is that WB actually made Batman relevant and put people in charge who respected the franchise. If there ever was a old franchise in dire of the Batman Begins treatment its Green Hornet.

Quote:
Whats so special about Reid to warrent such an acclaimed actor??
He's a millionaire publisher who becomes a masked vigilante who pretends to be be a criminal to defeat criminals from the inside. The potential with Reid is amazing in the right hands. That's why GH needs an acclaimed actor. Blade got this and he was never as well known to the public as GH.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #286
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
personally, if they went with an actor assoicated with Rogen, I would have picked James Franco.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #287
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
exactly....if people are supporting Seth Rogen as Green Hornet, then a comedic actor like NPH should be considered as well....at least NPH is in fantastic shape and can actually be taken seriously when its called for...Rogen is a goofy looking mother ****er and I don't see anyone, not even my cat, being intimidated by him
Green Hornet wear's a mask...that only covers his eyes...and he get's away with not being outed. Put a mask on Rogan it won't make a differance what he looks like. NPH....Seriously...it's a small little whimp who make the Green Hornet really *'sting'*. And Rogan is getting into shape, working out at the gym...you have no clue what he'll look like by the time they start filming.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #288
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
The only difference between Bruce Wayne and Britt Reid is that WB actually made Batman relevant and put people in charge who respected the franchise. If there ever was a old franchise in dire of the Batman Begins treatment its Green Hornet.

He's a millionaire publisher who becomes a masked vigilante who pretends to be be a criminal to defeat criminals from the inside. The potential with Reid is amazing in the right hands. That's why GH needs an acclaimed actor. Blade got this and he was never as well known to the public as GH.
Okay...to all those computer geniuses out there.. please just take the Dark Knight and digitaly alter Batman into Green Hornet so this guy can sleep at night having a serious film.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #289
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

Quote:

NPH+Green Hornet = STRAIT TO DVD

Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #290
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Green Hornet wear's a mask...that only covers his eyes...and he get's away with not being outed. Put a mask on Rogan it won't make a differance what he looks like. NPH....Seriously...it's a small little whimp who make the Green Hornet really *'sting'*.
NPH has proven himself for GH more then Seth ever did. We're already gone over the mask in this thread. The 60's show didn't use the faithful version.

Quote:
And Rogan is getting into shape, working out at the gym...you have no clue what he'll look like by the time they start filming.
This makes him more handsome and into a serious actor star how?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #291
ABleedingCorpse

Quote:
NPH has proven himself for GH more then Seth ever did. We're already gone over the mask in this thread. The 60's show didn't use the faithful version.

OK THEN, if they used the faithful version then it shouldn't freaking matter one bit what the actors face looks like because we'd never freakin see it.

Second of all, ah forget it.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #292
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

Quote:

How? Dougie Howser? How I met your mother? Harold and Kumar?
The best thing NPH ever did with his career was to embrace his homosexuality, as therin lies most of his fanbase.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #293
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:

Actually, it was Arnold, than Stallone, than Richard Gere, than Burt Reynolds before Bruce Willis.

I dont think NPH's career has readied him for Green Hornet any better than Rogen's has in the same nature that Bruce Willis's did.

Quote:
Theres a difference between outright supporting Rogen has the best (which I dont think anyone is doing) and granting him the benefit of the doubt at such an early stage where not even a leaked picture or footage has been revealed rather than damning him for his past career and wanting to try something new.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #294
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

There have been worse asting decisions...

Last edited by Johnny Drama; 02-25-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Johnny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #295
블라스
Side-Kick

Still missing the main point....judging a movie/actor before ever seeing a single still = stupid and annoying.
But that's never going to change here, I guess.

블라스 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #296
Kent Allard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 블라스 View Post
Still missing the main point....judging a movie/actor before ever seeing a single still = stupid and annoying.
But that's never going to change here, I guess.
It is only fair and necessary to point out that directors [and casting directors] do this all the time. They judge whether an actor or an actress is a good fit for a role using multiple criteria all before the candidate has been to wardrobe, sat in a make-up chair, and most especially before a single frame of the movie is shot.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #297
블라스
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Allard View Post
It is only fair and necessary to point out that directors [and casting directors] do this all the time. They judge whether an actor or an actress is a good fit for a role using multiple criteria all before the candidate has been to wardrobe, sat in a make-up chair, and most especially before a single frame of the movie is shot.
Oh, I think there's a small difference between them and the hate-spewin' Spartacuses in here.

블라스 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #298
BlackLantern
Banned User

Im not spewing hate at all....Im just not seeing it....Neil McDonough would be a nice fit, as he has done both action and comedy....

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #299
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

Quote:
Im not spewing hate at all....Im just not seeing it....Neil McDonough would be a nice fit, as he has done both action and comedy....
Niether him nor NPH are big enough stars to carry a movie such as this.

Bale wasn't a huge star before Batman, Toby wasn't a huge star before Spider-Man, but those are characters that are HUGE, iconic, and household names. You need an "it" actor to carry a movie such as this with a little known character or else it more than likely wouldn't even get made.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #300
PWN3R
SHUSH!

Quote:
There have been worse asting decisions...

Seth really has whipped into shape. I mean look at an older photo:

WOW.

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote