The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #301
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther
 
Johnny Drama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Meow!
Posts: 12,261
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWN3R View Post
Seth really has whipped into shape. I mean look at an older photo:


WOW.

I know, it is very impressive, after his sucess with Knocked Up and Superbad he really started to get heavier, but when he took on this role he managed to cut alot o weight, and fast too!

__________________
When Goffam iz ashez, U haz my permishun 2 die
Johnny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #302
The Major
Side-Kick
 
The Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,749
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
There have been worse asting decisions...


And better ones.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #303
The Major
Side-Kick
 
The Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,749
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Niether him nor NPH are big enough stars to carry a movie such as this.

Bale wasn't a huge star before Batman, Toby wasn't a huge star before Spider-Man, but those are characters that are HUGE, iconic, and household names. You need an "it" actor to carry a movie such as this with a little known character or else it more than likely wouldn't even get made.
Why go to Rogen of all people? He may be a name right now but he should far from the list of talented actors for this role. Surely they can find someone else who can do that a random comedy actor whose the current flavor of the month.

Bale's resume actually fit Batman much more then Rogens' does with GH, too. They didn't take Adam Sandler as a serious contender.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #304
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar
 
cerealkiller182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12,997
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Who said they went to Rogen? Rogen probably pitched the idea himself.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #305
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther
 
Johnny Drama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Meow!
Posts: 12,261
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Why go to Rogen of all people? He may be a name right now but he should far from the list of talented actors for this role. Surely they can find someone else who can do that a random comedy actor whose the current flavor of the month.

Bale's resume actually fit Batman much more then Rogens' does with GH, too. They didn't take Adam Sandler as a serious contender.
with my post I was more or less dismissing NPH as a candidate, I never said Rogen was the best choice or even a good choice. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

__________________
When Goffam iz ashez, U haz my permishun 2 die
Johnny Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #306
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,869
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Then why is he the lead in GH?



Why do you think that?



All that means is that he's got good taste as a producer, not that he'd be a great GH.



What serious roles has he succeeded with?



So?



He does on comedy films he's totally unproven for GH. The franchise needs it's own Christian Bale, I doubt Seth is that actor.



Why should GH settle for Seth hen there are better actors who fit the role? He may have a healthy career but he didn't get there by being an action hero or a serious actor.



Why is his age relevant?
I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Just because he smokes pots doesnt mean he's a complete moron. He's done more than most actors his age. Is he the best for the role? No. But I'm seeing that he's friggin' trying.

I honestly cannot see The Green Hornet as a serious movie, but that's me. But it doesn't mean that I want a bad movie either. I want TRUMPETS blaring and pop visuals, with colorful and creative imagiry. I hope that Michel Gondry will deliver the goods.

IN all honesty, I've said that Seth is a smart dude because if you ever read or listen to his interviews, he knows (for the most part) what he wants and he what he's talking about. He's still learning, so he's not perfect, but his head is in the right place. Without Rogen's input, Stephen Chow or Michel Gondry wouldn't be involved. These two guys wouldn't even step foot on Sony's studio if someone else was handling the project. That's why I think Seth is TRYING to make this movie special.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #307
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Green Hornet

so why does Seth Rogen get the benefit of the doubt....but people seem to want Zack Snyder drawn and quartered? o I know why....its because a lot of you relate to that goofy looking, pot smoking clown....you all see him as "one of you" and it gives you all a glimmer of hope or something.....

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #308
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 44,176
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Who said they went to Rogen? Rogen probably pitched the idea himself.
And they should have said..."No thanks....we want someone who doesn't look dorky."

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #309
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 44,176
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
Im not spewing hate at all....Im just not seeing it....Neil McDonough would be a nice fit, as he has done both action and comedy....
I hadn't considered him before....but that's a good choice.


And....for those who keep calling the 60's tv show campy....I suggest you actually watch an episode.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #310
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar
 
cerealkiller182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12,997
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
so why does Seth Rogen get the benefit of the doubt....but people seem to want Zack Snyder drawn and quartered? o I know why....its because a lot of you relate to that goofy looking, pot smoking clown....you all see him as "one of you" and it gives you all a glimmer of hope or something.....
I for one never touch the stuff

Not sure why you assume that theose who give Rogen the benefit of the doubt are the same people who **** on Snyder, because I also like Snyder.

The problem is its a superhero fanbase and the only people they take chances on are non-actors who just look the part.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #311
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar
 
cerealkiller182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12,997
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
And they should have said..."No thanks....we want someone who doesn't look dorky."
Well, they obviously liked the pitch.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #312
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 44,176
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Well, they obviously liked the pitch.
Someone approved LEONARD PART 6, ISHTAR, THE SPIRIT, SPEED RACER, and GIGLI too.....

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #313
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Green Hornet

I liked Speed Racer....but yes, some movies aren't released....they escape

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #314
lou2099
soulless zombie
 
lou2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,208
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
Rogen is known for dialogue driven comedies and sight gags....Ill take NPH for Green Hornet
Doogie Hornet?

__________________
Dr. Octopus: I am the world's most unbeatable adversary!
Spider-Man: That makes one of you who thinks so, grapefruithead!


And boom goes the dynamite. Deadpool...wins.
lou2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #315
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2099 View Post
Doogie Hornet?
I was thinking "Suit Up!!" my point in suggesting NPH was that both him and Rogen are known for their comedy, so how is one suggestion any better than the other

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #316
lou2099
soulless zombie
 
lou2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,208
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
I was thinking "Suit Up!!" my point in suggesting NPH was that both him and Rogen are known for their comedy, so how is one suggestion any better than the other
Meh, acting is acting as far as I'm concerned. Rogen may not be DeNiro, but as the new flavor of the moment, if his involvement in a relatively unknown character gets butts in theater seats in the midst of a national economic crisis, then I've got nothing against it.

__________________
Dr. Octopus: I am the world's most unbeatable adversary!
Spider-Man: That makes one of you who thinks so, grapefruithead!


And boom goes the dynamite. Deadpool...wins.
lou2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #317
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar
 
cerealkiller182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12,997
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Someone approved LEONARD PART 6, ISHTAR, THE SPIRIT, SPEED RACER, and GIGLI too.....
And how many good ones? People make bad movies, thats a given, but you can't discredit every movie that gets greenlit because a bad movie has actually been greenlit before it especially this one that has yet release any actual material on it.

All we know right now is that a great director signed, a great supporting actor is involved, and Seth Rogen has shown an understanding of the material, an understanding of the genre, and commitment as seen by his slim down.

Just because people hated Seth Rogens last movie, or don't think he's appropriate because of his last movie, I dont think I should outright damn him until I actually see something

Because guess who should have made a good Punsiher? Ray Stephenson. And who should have made a good Spirit? Gabriel Macht. And who should have been a good Dr. Doom? Julian MacMahon. And Who should have been a good Lex Luthor? Kevin Spacey.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #318
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,869
Default Re: The Green Hornet

the funny thing is that Seth's track record is pretty good. People like his movies and they are not for everybody, but the quality is there.

But it happens to every comedic actor; there's always a backlash. ALWAYS.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #319
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh
 
I Am The Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Bale-Cave
Posts: 11,842
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Since Gondry became involved, I'm suddenly interested in this flick...

__________________
Before SHH, your miserable, insignificant little life was laughable. Now that you've found SHH, have you noticed you've become more popular? Suddenly EVERYONE wants to hang out with you.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #320
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
the funny thing is that Seth's track record is pretty good. People like his movies and they are not for everybody, but the quality is there.

But it happens to every comedic actor; there's always a backlash. ALWAYS.
I like all of Rogens films and I think he can write a great GH film, but I don't think he should be starring in it

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #321
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,869
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
so why does Seth Rogen get the benefit of the doubt....but people seem to want Zack Snyder drawn and quartered? o I know why....its because a lot of you relate to that goofy looking, pot smoking clown....you all see him as "one of you" and it gives you all a glimmer of hope or something.....
The funny thing is that I've always supported Zach.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #322
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 36,869
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
I like all of Rogens films and I think he can write a great GH film, but I don't think he should be starring in it
again, I would rather have James Franco because he's more verstile and he's already fit.

It depends. I've got a good feeling about this one, don't know why.

It's one of those things..There's certain movies where they're in development, and you know it might suck or they might be good.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #323
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
so why does Seth Rogen get the benefit of the doubt....but people seem to want Zack Snyder drawn and quartered? o I know why....its because a lot of you relate to that goofy looking, pot smoking clown....you all see him as "one of you" and it gives you all a glimmer of hope or something.....
Oooo... harsh. I was never a big Rogen guy either and he has kind of gotten too formulaic and overexposed... he has just been too... Seth Rogen... in all his films if you know what I mean... but I did see him listed as one of the hardest working actors in a recent list take it for what its worth. I am sure there is some talent there... but these comedies he has been in just haven't impressed me that much. There is a fanbase there but I just don't see him getting praised by people outside that base. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but he still has a lot to prove.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #324
The Apatow Crew
Banned User
 
The Apatow Crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: A Jeffrey, stroke the furry walls
Posts: 100,374
Default Re: The Green Hornet

So this film is coming out summer 2010 you say?

The Apatow Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #325
The Major
Side-Kick
 
The Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,749
Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Just because he smokes pots doesnt mean he's a complete moron.
I didn't say he's a complete moron. I may not agree with his drug using but that's his business. What I have gotten the impression is that he'd rather be the lead no matter what and doesn't seem to care the movie gets the concept right above all else.

Quote:
He's done more than most actors his age.
That's true. Its not a good excuse for a serious super-hero role, though. Not that I think it'll be serious. If he wants to make a super-hero role in a comedy he could do it about a franchise that actually suits him, like Ted Kord's Blue Beetle. Instead he's chooseing Jack Black's path on Green Lantern. As a comic fan I wonder what he thinks of that situation.

Quote:
Is he the best for the role? No. But I'm seeing that he's friggin' trying.
Trying isn't good enough IMO. Sometimes people just aren't good at certain things. GH's role is just Seth's thing he isn't right for.

Quote:
I honestly cannot see The Green Hornet as a serious movie, but that's me.
Okay.

Quote:
But it doesn't mean that I want a bad movie either. I want TRUMPETS blaring and pop visuals, with colorful and creative imagiry. I hope that Michel Gondry will deliver the goods.
So do I.

Quote:
IN all honesty, I've said that Seth is a smart dude because if you ever read or listen to his interviews, he knows (for the most part) what he wants and he what he's talking about.
I can agree with that when it comes to his other projects. With GH he comes across to me like he's just using the property's famous name as a means to a super-hero comedy movie he could have made any way. I haven't heard single article about GH that reveals he actually knows what GH. In fact, he seems a bit lost in what direction to take it.

Quote:
He's still learning, so he's not perfect, but his head is in the right place.
Learning is great. What he's still missing is that he's wrong for the lead on GH. That seems to be a subject he'd rather avoid admiting and passing to someone else who would make a better GH, he just wants the role for himself. He not getting that lesson, not do I see him trying to understand it. He knows James Franco, why isn't he trying to sign him up for the lead? That's what puzzling me.

Quote:
Without Rogen's input, Stephen Chow or Michel Gondry wouldn't be involved. These two guys wouldn't even step foot on Sony's studio if someone else was handling the project.
That just goes back into him being a good producer, not that he should actually be the lead in GH.

Quote:
That's why I think Seth is TRYING to make this movie special.
Unfortunately the special movie he's making doesn't match the GH franchise. Were this a new super-hero comedy I'd agree with you but GH deserves better.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.