Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #351
The Major
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
all 3 of them...
Many new successful movie franchises start with 0. GH isn't the only franchise with a small fan-base which could succeed, either. Rocketeer, The Crow, Hellboy, The Mask and Blade already did that. No reason GH can't do it if its executed correctly, especially in the era of Nolan's Batman.

Last edited by The Major; 03-25-2009 at 08:43 PM.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #352
Octoberist
point blank

Didn't the Rocketeer bomb?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #353
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

It did, it had a big cult following though.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #354
PWN3R
mowing lawns

I haven't seen that film in years. I remember it shattering my world as a kid. Heh

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #355
Triad
Sofa King Suite!

I'm not going to get my hopes up anymore.
I just finally saw PUNISHER: War Zone. I remember how so many were down on it before it came out and I defended it despite my reservations. BIG MISTAKE! What a steaming turd of a picture that turned out to be! I guess the naysayers get to chalk one up on that. What a huge let-down for me.
I'm not going to get caught up in that again with GH. I love the character too much from listening to the radio programs on cassette as a kid. I think that this could turn out to be a decent enough movie if the stars all align correctly, but ultimately, nothing but a disapointment to true fans.
Yet another DVD rental, IMO.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #356
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad View Post
I'm not going to get my hopes up anymore.
I just finally saw PUNISHER: War Zone. I remember how so many were down on it before it came out and I defended it despite my reservations. BIG MISTAKE! What a steaming turd of a picture that turned out to be! I guess the naysayers get to chalk one up on that. What a huge let-down for me.
I'm not going to get caught up in that again with GH. I love the character too much from listening to the radio programs on cassette as a kid. I think that this could turn out to be a decent enough movie if the stars all align correctly, but ultimately, nothing but a disapointment to true fans.
Yet another DVD rental, IMO.
yep, for me its 2004 version FTW

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #357
Jamie Madrox
Green Hornet

I'm still fairly excited about this movie. Seth Rogen's one of my favorite entertainers, so I'll watch anything with him in it.

As far as having hopes it will be a faithful adaptation of the source material, that hope is pretty much gone, but at this point, I'll take anything. With this movie coming out within the next couple of years, maybe it will spawn a cartoon, or animated movie or something. Hell, we may even get some awesome merchandise from it as well.

We can't always get what we want when it comes to comic movies, since we aren't the filmmakers, so we can either take what they give us, or don't. It's that simple. I'm glad at least someone's taking interest in Green Hornet.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #358
dr.strange
Side-Kick

this always seems to be the case with these comicbook/comicstrip characters.how many people thought michael keaton.robert downey ,tobey maguire etc could shine in those roles? i had my doubts,but now you can't imagine someone else.rogen could be another surprise performance.

dr.strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #359
Jamie Madrox
Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strange View Post
this always seems to be the case with these comicbook/comicstrip characters.how many people thought michael keaton.robert downey ,tobey maguire etc could shine in those roles? i had my doubts,but now you can't imagine someone else.rogen could be another surprise performance.
That's what I was thinking. I hope others will consider that he may suprise us.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #360
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

So the film is going to be more of a comedic take?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #361
Kent Allard
Side-Kick

Yes - Rogen's Green Hornet movie will be a comedy. Seth Rogen himself confirmed it back in late February when Michel Gondry was announced as the new director.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...68/story.jhtml

Quote:
Seth Rogen's high-profile superhero movie has a brand-new director — one of the most distinctive visionaries in Hollywood — and the star can only use three words to describe how he's feeling about it.

"It's ----- crazy!" he said when we spoke with him Tuesday, accentuating the point with his trademark laugh (which was imitated by Steven Spielberg and Ron Howard backstage at the Oscars).

His new "Green Hornet" collaborator is none other than Michel Gondry, the eye-popping auteur who gave us "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Be Kind Rewind," and too many classic music videos to list here. Capping off an exhaustive search, the "Pineapple Express" funnyman said Gondry is the perfect director for his comedic take on the crime-fighting newspaper publisher who first slipped into his green mask in 1936.

"Me and [co-writer] Evan [Goldberg] have always been gigantic fans of [Gondry]," Rogen beamed. "We just like anyone who thinks outside the box, and there's really nobody who thinks more outside the box then he does; he's really a magician in a lot of ways."

Serving as writer, producer and star of the film that begins shooting soon, Rogen admitted that he had always been pulling for Gondry to land the high-profile gig — and even helped the French filmmaker get an inside track. "I've actually been e-mailing with him for a really long time, because he was involved with the project a long time ago," he explained. "With the permission of nobody, I sent him our script ... to get his input and ideally convince the studio to meet with him. They were skeptical of ... I wouldn't say his ability to make a giant budget studio movie, but his willingness to make a giant budget studio movie. But he loved the script, he totally got it, which a lot of [potential directors] just didn't."

Gondry loved the "Green Hornet" script so much, in fact, that he began filming it immediately. "To convince the studio to let him do it, he filmed a fight scene on his own," Rogen marveled. "He just hired stunt men and did it by himself! Just to show some of the stuff he could do, some of the weird filming techniques he has and some of the stuff he can pull off. I mean, this is something he did in two days and it was instantly unlike anything you've ever seen before. It was impossible not to hire him once he presented what he could do for it."

Now, Rogen and Goldberg are looking forward to blending their unique "Superbad" sensibility with a decades-old crime-fighter and a thoroughly modern filmmaker. And while he assured us that the result will prominently feature Gondry's knack for making ordinary things look extraordinary, he was quick to say that the film won't simply be the Gondry we've come to expect.

"My direct quote to [Gondry] right before he met with the studio was, 'You have to convince them they're not gonna show up on set one day and everything is gonna be made out of cardboard,' " laughed Rogen. "And he said, 'I can definitely do that.' "

"["The Green Hornet"] will be a great combination of both of our movies, of both of our styles," Rogen said of the film, which hits theaters June 25, 2010. "It should have the type of conversational tone and comedy that me and Evan have been doing — and some of the action that we have been starting to try to do — along with the wild, visual imagination and funny awkward sensibility that he's been doing."

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #362
Jolly Rolly
Banned User

Maybe it's been argued already but why is a fat slob like Seth Rogen even considered for the Green Hornet, unless they were going into the comedy route I understand but why him?

Jolly Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #363
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

he's actually slimmed down, but hey, Who knows!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #364
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rolly View Post
Maybe it's been argued already but why is a fat slob like Seth Rogen even considered for the Green Hornet?
Fat slob? Once upon a time.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #365
Octoberist
point blank

i don't think he can be anymore skinnier than that. I'm just assuming he's always been husky so his body type won't be akin to Brad Pitt or whomever. lol

Nevertheless... He did a good job!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #366
Shaolin Kenobi
Side-Kick

Default Re: Seth rogen to be the green hornet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
They may NOT approach it as pure comedy. Let's wait and see what they do with it. Rogen COULD lose like 60 lbs. play it seriously with clever lines and witty comedy. He's not necessarily limited to college-boy comedy.

I try to be optimistic. Hopefully they don't turn this into a pure comedy. So much could be done with this...
Agreed!!! Back in the 80's people felt much the same way about Michael (Mr. Mom) Keaton playing Batman. That was a highly successful venture!

Shaolin Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #367
DOG LIPS
El Señor Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Fat slob? Once upon a time.

Bravo.

"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)
DOG LIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #368
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

So do you guys think the movie will be BATMAN & ROBIN 2?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #369
The Major
Side-Kick

Default Re: Seth rogen to be the green hornet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Kenobi View Post
Agreed!!! Back in the 80's people felt much the same way about Michael (Mr. Mom) Keaton playing Batman. That was a highly successful venture!
Keaton played serious characters before Batman. His super-hero movie wasn't a comedy about a serious franchise, either.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #370
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
We can't always get what we want when it comes to comic movies, since we aren't the filmmakers, so we can either take what they give us, or don't. It's that simple. I'm glad at least someone's taking interest in Green Hornet.
I'm not "taking" it since the franchise deserves better. Low expectations mean is they'll only give us bad adaptions. Something does not need to happen since Hollywood has finally started making great adaptions from super-hero comics. Especially with a franchise that could benefit from Nolan's Batman influence. If Hellboy can have two excellent films that's no reason they can't make a good GH movie that is loyal to the original concept.

Seth isn't taking interest in this franchise. He's exploiting its brand to do a comedy that makes fun of it. It's a shame Gondrey is going along with this take. I'd love to see him make a serious GH movie.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #371
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

It is a shame that one of my all time favorite characters is getting a spoof made about him. We are talking about a character whose history runs deeper and longer than X-men and many other popular characters.

Anybody who supports a comedy of GH is a jerk.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #372
Octoberist
point blank

I want the movie to be a FULL OUT FART FEST.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #373
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Thumbs down Re: The Green Hornet

why?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #374
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, you see what they did with Land of the Lost. Yeah, it was campy, but the sci-fi elements of that show were very well done considering the science writers that worked on it. Now it's been reduced to a Will Ferrell yell and scream-a-thon.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #375
Invisiboy
All-American Loser

1. Until we see the finished film, or at least a trailer, we have no way of knowing whether or not the film will have a comedic tone, or how Seth Rogen will come off in the part, and it is useless to predict until such a time. I do not consider a one track-minded editor at an all music video channel to be a reliable judge of this.
2. As far as precedent--Tom Hanks. Robin Williams. Robert Downey Jr.

Invisiboy is offline   Reply With Quote