The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #76
Justice Bringer
Banned User

Default Re: The SDCC Coverage Thread

Though the JL film likely won't have Brandon Routh or anything related to what Bryan Singer created tied to it. Especially IF the studio doesnt want to continue the SR franchaise.

Hell, the 'big' film of that 09 block could even turn out to be Flash.

Justice Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #77
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
lol you guys dont follow.

every summer, they want one huge franchise film out.

2003: nmatrix reloaded
2004: harry potter...skipped winter due to lack of summer tentpole
2005: batman
2006: superman
2007: harry potter...again, due to lack of big summer film
2008:batman
2009:.........? potters in winter 08, batman summer 08.

what else do they have that can be greenlighted and automatically be considered a big contender? SUPERMAN 2 or J; both which have supes in them.

They're a movie studio, and whats even more important to them then handling superman properly is making money, and in 2009, they have no other possible money makers except the 2 mentioned above, both which feature supes. Potter coming to end, and they know they can survive on Batman; they need Superman to get going.

All w.b. is doing is deleying the inevitable. which is some sort of superman film in 2009.
How long can they possibly rely on Batman, Superman and Harry Potter? Well, we know the answer for HP, but this is ridiculous. Marvel is busy developing so many of their other characters and all WB can put out is Batman and Superman. Surely, there is another project/franchise they can develop that can be the next great success. Do they have no imagination over there?

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #78
Super Kal
Side-Kick

I'd love to see them branch out and do someone else other than those two...

Green Lantern would be really nice.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #79
VenomsMom
Side-Kick

If it were a race DC would be in Marvel's rearview mirror.

VenomsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #80
Justice Bringer
Banned User

Theres no point going into Green Lantern and the others until they get Superman right.

Justice Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #81
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot069 View Post
I'd love to see them branch out and do someone else other than those two...

Green Lantern would be really nice.
Green Lantern could be epic but the studio just doesn't have the imagination for it.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #82
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I think they are at a point, where if you aren't going to see Superman, there is no way you are going to see Flash or Lantern.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #83
Dr. Fate
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
How long can they possibly rely on Batman, Superman and Harry Potter? Well, we know the answer for HP, but this is ridiculous. Marvel is busy developing so many of their other characters and all WB can put out is Batman and Superman. Surely, there is another project/franchise they can develop that can be the next great success. Do they have no imagination over there?
I agree.

Dr. Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #84
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Bringer View Post
Theres no point going into Green Lantern and the others until they get Superman right.
I don't understand why it's so difficult to:

A. Get a Superman movie made

B. To get a Superman movie made that gets a majority of highly positive feedback among the average movie goer and the hardcore fan

Old 07-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #85
VenomsMom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
I don't understand why it's so difficult to:

A. Get a Superman movie made

B. To get a Superman movie made that gets a majority of highly positive feedback among the average movie goer and the hardcore fan
They are stuck in mud spinning their tires. Other than Batman they seem to be indecisive.

VenomsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #86
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
Every day that passes for me is pretty much a nail in the coffin for a sequel. Although I wish this wasn't the case.
I'm pretty much leaning toward a J.L. film happening now, instead of M.O.S.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #87
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

I think WB is coming up with a plan behind the scenes, why do they have to tell us anything. They could be planning Teen Titans as well as JLA as we speak along with a Superman Returns sequel. Who knows.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #88
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I'm pretty much leaning toward a J.L. film happening now, instead of M.O.S.
Today, me too.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #89
GreenKToo
In the fire

It seems the most logical choice to me. *IF* they did it right, several spin offs could happen, making them even more money.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #90
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

You guys dont get it. Any of these film you mention

-"any movie"
-green lantern
-teen titans
-flash
-wonder woman
-even justice league

theyd be hit films, probably...but supermans on a whole other level and they know it.W.B. have 3 huge properties(HP, bats, Supes) and then a bunch of little ones; and their goal is to have 1 huge 1 a year and then a few of their little ones. The huge properties bring in cash every where, box office, merchandise, dvd, tv , everything. Their "little" ones cant do that.

Their the biggest studio in the world, and they know they wont survive a year without one of their bigs guns. Thats the only reason theyve consistently broke 1 billion domestically when nobody else can; they've gotten 1 of em out every year. Every year they always have huge film to fall back on. 2006 was a total disaster till Superman made it just a dissappointment. 2005 was good but not great until potter smashed records.

These films you mentioned; flash, gl, teen titans....these arent fall back films. They could be hits, but their not the kind you base a year around. Thats why it isn't that simple to say "they can put out any film" or "they have 2options: superman or no superman".

To sum up:

NO SUPERMAN means their not gonna be able to realistcally compete for the domestic crown in 2009 as HP7 will be summer 2010 and BATMAN 3 in summer 2011. A Superman film is their only film that would be a guarenteed 200 million dollar hit.

W.B. know it, thats why we will get superman on film in 2009. Even if it means releasing it winter, they will do all they can to get out in 2009 because with Harry Potter ending in 2010, they cant have just one major franchise and continue the dominance theyve had.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #91
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Superman Returns came out already remember, it was not the draw they hoped. So Superman is not as big as you or I wish or want it to be at this point, whether that is Singer's Superman or Superman remains to be seen.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #92
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

thats not the point. It isnt big as they hoped, but it is still a helluva a lot bigger than anything else they could put out.

See how they put watchmen in march? That is how they view those kind of hero film-their secondary. Watchmen is in the same league as flash and green lantern...their not summer tentpoles as they learned with Catwoman.

Superman wasnt the draw they hoped; but they're not going to give up on it after 1 film.

That said...singer not the man for the job. They need to get someone who can come in, use his actors and story but make it more mainstream...they need to do that, get a good release date for it, and get as good marketing strategy and all will be fine. Somebody who knows what W.B. wantrs out of the film...someone like me but seriously....Superman is coming in 2009...and the fact that they keep delaying it makes it a lot for them; cause at this point its getting late to green light JL so their kind of forcing themselves to go with a rush versioned of a singer sequel.

we should find out something by the end of august.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 07-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #93
GreenKToo
In the fire

A J.L. film with Superman, W.W., Batman, the Flash etc etc, would be a sure fire hit for W.B., as long as they dont try to make it cheesy.

If it made say 500 or 600 mill W.W., then you can bet we would be seeing solo films of them not long afterwards.

It would have to be done right though, with all seriousness and respect. If it had to have some comedy, then let the Flash have those lines, he is a ham anyway.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #94
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
thats not the point. It isnt big as they hoped, but it is still a helluva a lot bigger than anything else they could put out.

See how they put watchmen in march? That is how they view those kind of hero film-their secondary. Watchmen is in the same league as flash and green lantern...their not summer tentpoles as they learned with Catwoman.

Superman wasnt the draw they hoped; but they're not going to give up on it after 1 film.

That said...singer not the man for the job. They need to get someone who can come in, use his actors and story but make it more mainstream...they need to do that, get a good release date for it, and get as good marketing strategy and all will be fine. Somebody who knows what W.B. wantrs out of the film...someone like me but seriously....Superman is coming in 2009...and the fact that they keep delaying it makes it a lot for them; cause at this point its getting late to green light JL so their kind of forcing themselves to go with a rush versioned of a singer sequel.

we should find out something by the end of august.
I hope your right.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #95
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

That wont happen. Not with Batman anyways, and if he is in the script all it means it has to be rewritten, which would take up more time. 2 Bat films in 2 years is over exposure and would greatly hurt their solo batman franchise.

They want 3 big seperate franchises; combining them would only limit the size of their solo efforts which is the last thing they want.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 07-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #96
GreenKToo
In the fire

With marvel planning an avengers film, I cant see W.B. not making a J.L. film.

Maybe Batman wont be in it, but as long as it had Superman, W.W., the Flash, and G.L., it should do fine. all MHO.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #97
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

that is how their backing thmselves into a corner...jl needs to be rewritten, then sign a director, than cast all the heros. Its not auagust; the script would be ready by october..get a director...thats 6 months max for preduction (compared to the usual 8-10) in order to get cameras rolling by may, which would give them 14 months from filming to release max (compared to the usual 15-17).

Basically it would be rushed, thus upping the risk factor by ten. A rushed superman isnt nearly as big of a risk.

I wish I could just have 1 meeting with w.b...i could tell them exactly how and what they need to get the franchise where they want it...instead they pick guys like singer to make 200 million art movies and put in super kid to perminetly **** up a sequel

R.I.P. Heath
Old 07-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #98
GreenKToo
In the fire

Ha, if it were that easy, then we wouldnt have anything to B**** about.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #99
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
If it made say 500 or 600 mill W.W., then you can bet we would be seeing solo films of them not long afterwards.
thing is, solo franchises would do far less. Its like if you eat a cheese pizza and love it buth then have pepperoni and its even better. The cheese doesnt seem as good. Thats how itd be. You like Batman, and then see him with superman so its even better..but once they go back to their solo films after youve seen them together, their not as cool. "BVS was better" ect.

A Jl film with supes and batman right now would be a fatal mistake. They need to keep Routh, Bosworth, and Spacey and do a prequal to RETURNS from before he left, and give Superman a physical villain. The drama should souly come from the love story of supes n lois, no emo superman or super kid crap. Keep the budget at 175 million, release it mid July, 2009. For marketing....teaser with TDK...then a brief, very very brief teaser again with HARRY POTTER.

They need to be clever. With this teaser, I'd show very little film footage...just titles with voiceovers and then 4-5 quick money action shots. I'd debut the first real film footage with the super bowl and make it non stop action; sure to steal the show. Theatricaltrailer with tbe big may movies, blow up hype between june n july.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 07-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #100
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
thing is, solo franchises would do far less. Its like if you eat a cheese pizza and love it buth then have pepperoni and its even better. The cheese doesnt seem as good. Thats how itd be. You like Batman, and then see him with superman so its even better..but once they go back to their solo films after youve seen them together, their not as cool. "BVS was better" ect.

A Jl film with supes and batman right now would be a fatal mistake. They need to keep Routh, Bosworth, and Spacey and do a prequal to RETURNS from before he left, and give Superman a physical villain. The drama should souly come from the love story of supes n lois, no emo superman or super kid crap. Keep the budget at 175 million, release it mid July, 2009. For marketing....teaser with TDK...then a brief, very very brief teaser again with HARRY POTTER.

They need to be clever. With this teaser, I'd show very little film footage...just titles with voiceovers and then 4-5 quick money action shots. I'd debut the first real film footage with the super bowl and make it non stop action; sure to steal the show. Theatricaltrailer with tbe big may movies, blow up hype between june n july.
I wish they would bring Kingdom Come to the big screen. I'd pass smooth out if they did, no joke.