The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Celebrities

Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #76
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Wesley Snipe's Get's Three Year's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
I actually think he deserved prison time maybe not three years but something. Someone broke it down that he owed 2.7 million off of the 13.8 Million he made, thats only what 20%? Most of us pay much more....he was being greedy and got caught.
Truthfully though as rich as he is it would be naive of the government to think he actually handled his own taxes. Celebrities like Michael Jackson, Wesley Snipes, Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Oprah, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, and so forth have so much money that they have agents do their taxes.

So it's possible Wesley may've been a victim of someone else being careless with his taxes and not filing them like he may've trusted them to do.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #77
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Default Re: Wesley Snipe's Get's Three Year's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981 View Post
Truthfully though as rich as he is it would be naive of the government to think he actually handled his own taxes. Celebrities like Michael Jackson, Wesley Snipes, Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Oprah, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, and so forth have so much money that they have agents do their taxes.

So it's possible Wesley may've been a victim of someone else being careless with his taxes and not filing them like he may've trusted them to do.
Agreed, and i'm quite sure he used that as a defense. Apparently the judge wasn't buying it.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #78
Addendum
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
...over some bulls#$@
Oh well. I'm not losing sleep because Willie Mays Hayes is off to the big house

Addendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #79
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

You're the only one. The rest of us are torn up about it.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #80
Addendum
Banned User

Why, was he coming to your home for Thanksgiving?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #81
Drizzle
Bangarang, Robin

Three years jail time is too harsh a punishment for tax evasion.

A hefty fine? Absolutely.

Community service? Maybe.

But jail time? No.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #82
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addendum View Post
Why, was he coming to your home for Thanksgiving?
Exactly. He was supposed to be carving the turkey with Blade's...blade.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #83
Cosmic
Theosophist

This is ********! Fight the power, Blade!

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #84
Nathan Petrelli
Banned User

Lindsay Lohan does cocaine, gets drunk and goes behind the wheel, she gets a suspended sentence and sent to rehab for a few days

Nicole Richie does prescription pills, gets stoned and drinks, drives on the wrong side of the highway and gets what... 45 minutes in jail?

the American Justice system is disgusting

Nathan Petrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #85
Catman
Banned User

So...my tax dollars are going to providing a jail cell for Wesley Snipes? Nice.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #86
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Three years jail time is too harsh a punishment for tax evasion.

A hefty fine? Absolutely.

Community service? Maybe.

But jail time? No.

Al Capone was sentenced to 11 years for tax evasion.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #87
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

More info.

OCALA, Fla. -- Wesley Snipes was sentenced to three years in prison on tax charges Thursday, a victory for prosecutors who sought to make an example of the action star by aggressively pursuing the maximum penalty.

Snipes' lawyers had spent much of the day in court offering dozens of letters from family members, friends even fellow actors Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington attesting to the good character of the "Blade" star and asking for leniency. They argued he should get only probation because his three convictions were all misdemeanors and the actor had no previous criminal record.

But U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges said Snipes exhibited a "history of contempt over a period of time" for U.S. tax laws, and granted prosecutors the three year sentence they requested one year for each of Snipes' convictions of willfully failing to file a tax return.

"In my mind these are serious crimes, albeit misdemeanors," Hodges said.

Snipes apologized while reading from a written statement for his "costly mistakes," but never mentioned the word taxes.

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," Snipes said.

Snipes said his wealth and celebrity attracted "wolves and jackals like flies are attracted to meat." He called himself "well-intentioned, but miseducated."

Snipes was the highest-profile criminal tax target in years, and prosecutors called for a heavy sentence to deter others from trying to obstruct the IRS. The government alleged Snipes made at least $13.8 million for the years in question and owed $2.7 million in back taxes.

Snipes was acquitted in February of five additional charges, including felony tax fraud and conspiracy. Snipes' co-defendants, Douglas P. Rosile and Eddie Ray Kahn, were convicted on both those counts. Kahn, who refused to defend himself in court, was sentenced to 10 years, while Rosile received 54 months. Both will serve three years of supervised release. Snipes will serve one year of supervised release.

Snipes and Rosile remain free and will be notified when they are to surrender to authorities.

Kahn was the founder of American Rights Litigators, and a successor group, Guiding Light of God Ministries, that purported to help members legally avoid paying taxes. Rosile, a former accountant who lost his licenses in Ohio and Florida, prepared Snipes' paperwork.

Snipes maintained in a years-long battle with the IRS he did not have to pay taxes, using fringe arguments common to "tax protesters" who say the government has no legal right to collect. After joining Kahn's group, the government said Snipes instructed his employees to stop paying their own taxes and sought $11 million in 1996 and 1997 taxes he legally paid.

Prosecutors sought to justify the maximum sentence by raising those and other details from the IRS investigation, as well as a tax loss even for years in which Snipes was acquitted of failing to file a return. Such "relevant conduct" is allowed by law for a judge's consideration at sentencing.

Criminal tax prosecutions are relatively rare usually the cases are handled in civil court, where the government has a lower burden of proof. Prosecutors said Snipes' case was important to send a message to would-be tax protesters not to test the government.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #88
EdRyder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
So...my tax dollars are going to providing a jail cell for Wesley Snipes? Nice.
Dont forget your tax dollars were spent prosecuting him for over a year.

Anyway, I didnt know all that( ^up) The media and Snipes kept depicting it like he was a victim of circumstances(although i know ignorance of the law isnt a defense) But that above post paints a completely different picture.He fought the law and the law won.

Side note: Doesnt he own and operate some kind of Ninja compound in Indiana where they train bodyguards for celebs?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 PM   #89
Cmill216
Senior Case Officer
SHH! Administrator

Tax evasion? Tax evasion?! That's it???

You mean to tell me I'm going to miss out on a potential Blade 4 before 2011 just because Wes didn't feel like giving The Man a few more dollas???

To hell with this! There will be blood!

Cmill216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #90
Catman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo7877 View Post
On paper he was sentenced for tax evasion, but in reality he was sentenced cause he was the biggest mob boss in the USA.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #91
Addendum
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmill216 View Post
You mean to tell me I'm going to miss out on a potential Blade 4 before 2011 just because Wes didn't feel like giving The Man a few more dollas???
It's not like Blade 4 would have been good anyway

Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 AM   #92
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmill216 View Post
Tax evasion? Tax evasion?! That's it???

To hell with this! There will be blood!
Who knows, Blade 4 may take place in Prison. Snipes will be a target in any prison he is placed in & will then feel inclined to use martial arts to defend himself & probably get more jail time.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 AM   #93
LexCorp
Lex Luthor

People just care about money.....they take that more seriously than other celebs who run around snorting coke.

LexCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #94
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo7877 View Post
Thats because its the only crime they could get him with. If they could of arrested him for all the other stuff he would of been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petrelli View Post
Lindsay Lohan does cocaine, gets drunk and goes behind the wheel, she gets a suspended sentence and sent to rehab for a few days

Nicole Richie does prescription pills, gets stoned and drinks, drives on the wrong side of the highway and gets what... 45 minutes in jail?

the American Justice system is disgusting
Yes but they are rich attractive white girls its obvious they would never go to prison

Snipes should of got OJ's lawyer, it ain't like he couldn't afford him.

seriously though 3 years is harsh. A year in prision and a hefty fine would of been more fitting and enough of an example.
People who have done far worst crimes have got less than 3 years.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #95
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEL114 View Post
More info.

OCALA, Fla. -- Wesley Snipes was sentenced to three years in prison on tax charges Thursday, a victory for prosecutors who sought to make an example of the action star by aggressively pursuing the maximum penalty.

Snipes' lawyers had spent much of the day in court offering dozens of letters from family members, friends even fellow actors Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington attesting to the good character of the "Blade" star and asking for leniency. They argued he should get only probation because his three convictions were all misdemeanors and the actor had no previous criminal record.

But U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges said Snipes exhibited a "history of contempt over a period of time" for U.S. tax laws, and granted prosecutors the three year sentence they requested one year for each of Snipes' convictions of willfully failing to file a tax return.

"In my mind these are serious crimes, albeit misdemeanors," Hodges said.

Snipes apologized while reading from a written statement for his "costly mistakes," but never mentioned the word taxes.

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," Snipes said.

Snipes said his wealth and celebrity attracted "wolves and jackals like flies are attracted to meat." He called himself "well-intentioned, but miseducated."

Snipes was the highest-profile criminal tax target in years, and prosecutors called for a heavy sentence to deter others from trying to obstruct the IRS. The government alleged Snipes made at least $13.8 million for the years in question and owed $2.7 million in back taxes.

Snipes was acquitted in February of five additional charges, including felony tax fraud and conspiracy. Snipes' co-defendants, Douglas P. Rosile and Eddie Ray Kahn, were convicted on both those counts. Kahn, who refused to defend himself in court, was sentenced to 10 years, while Rosile received 54 months. Both will serve three years of supervised release. Snipes will serve one year of supervised release.

Snipes and Rosile remain free and will be notified when they are to surrender to authorities.

Kahn was the founder of American Rights Litigators, and a successor group, Guiding Light of God Ministries, that purported to help members legally avoid paying taxes. Rosile, a former accountant who lost his licenses in Ohio and Florida, prepared Snipes' paperwork.

Snipes maintained in a years-long battle with the IRS he did not have to pay taxes, using fringe arguments common to "tax protesters" who say the government has no legal right to collect. After joining Kahn's group, the government said Snipes instructed his employees to stop paying their own taxes and sought $11 million in 1996 and 1997 taxes he legally paid.

Prosecutors sought to justify the maximum sentence by raising those and other details from the IRS investigation, as well as a tax loss even for years in which Snipes was acquitted of failing to file a return. Such "relevant conduct" is allowed by law for a judge's consideration at sentencing.

Criminal tax prosecutions are relatively rare usually the cases are handled in civil court, where the government has a lower burden of proof. Prosecutors said Snipes' case was important to send a message to would-be tax protesters not to test the government.
The article explains it all, Snipes sounds like a moron.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #96
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Just hear this story on the news.

They say stars like 'Denzel Washington' wrote letters on Snipes behalf to the judge, attesting to his character.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #97
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
This upsets me, Snipes gets 3 years for tax evasion and celebs like Lindsay Lohan get less than a slap on the wrist for driving under the influence, totalling their vehicles and putting peoples lives in danger. Granted the offenses are VERY different, it still pisses me off.
I totally agree.
Fine him, but 3 years is ridiculous.
Heard of a case yesterday. Man raped and almost killed a woman...got 7 years. 4 more years than Snipes. I guess money is more important than people.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #98
CorpusBlack
Side-Kick

Either the government will realize that the vampire problem is too big for them to handle and they'll give Snipes a pardon or Whistler will come back and just break him out of jail.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #99
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
I totally agree.
Fine him, but 3 years is ridiculous.
Heard of a case yesterday. Man raped and almost killed a woman...got 7 years. 4 more years than Snipes. I guess money is more important than people.
I do agree that 3 years is a huge sentence, and he is more likely being made an example of. However from the sound of the article it sounds like he knowingly evaded taxes, unlike what Sunrise said.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #100
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpusBlack View Post
Either the government will realize that the vampire problem is too big for them to handle and they'll give Snipes a pardon or Whistler will come back and just break him out of jail.
I don't know how many more times Whistler can comeback from the dead

The prision gaurds are gonna have a real problem on their hands when snipes doesn't get his serum...........