The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor

Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #76
NateGray
Banned User

Default Re: Thor expected to be "biggest" Marvel Studios film to date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Ugh.

Donald Blake is NOT Thor's origins. Just because the first issue of the Thor comic involved him doesn't mean that's how THOR originated. It's where we picked up.

This movie is going to be the equivalent of Batman: Year One. a True origins story. The next one will pickup with The Lee/ Kirby stuff.
UGH right back at you.
Yes DB is part of his origin you even say so yourself the first issue hmm sure sounds like he is part of it if he is in the first issue.

What you keep referencing is his mythology based origin, as them retconing stories many years later you want to call an origin?
Yeh thats a dumb idea lets introduce a character but start it before the comic books? where we introduced him.
What do you think the average non CB fan is going to think of that? yep you nailed it a fantasy based movie about a character they barley know.

Look you can try to spin it however you want but his origin in Comic books is tied to DB your wanting to start with a prequel is IMO a bad idea.

I think we will have to agree to disagree as you think an Asgard based story is a good idea and I just do not see it as a good idea.

NateGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #77
NateGray
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
^Me no wants a whole film of the Asgard origin story.
I don't care for seeing all of it, actually.

However, it would be very interesting to see if the audience will be turned away from that, or lured to it like LOTR.

I agree with you and do not want to see one either.
I fear they will take it like Stardust not LOTR

Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #78
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateGray View Post
UGH right back at you.
Yes DB is part of his origin you even say so yourself the first issue hmm sure sounds like he is part of it if he is in the first issue.

What you keep referencing is his mythology based origin, as them retconing stories many years later you want to call an origin?
Yeh thats a dumb idea lets introduce a character but start it before the comic books? where we introduced him.
What do you think the average non CB fan is going to think of that? yep you nailed it a fantasy based movie about a character they barley know.

Look you can try to spin it however you want but his origin in Comic books is tied to DB your wanting to start with a prequel is IMO a bad idea.

I think we will have to agree to disagree as you think an Asgard based story is a good idea and I just do not see it as a good idea.
Well how would you do it. Have Thor fly around NYC saving baby's from burning buildings? No thanks.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #79
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
^Me no wants a whole film of the Asgard origin story.
I don't care for seeing all of it, actually.

However, it would be very interesting to see if the audience will be turned away from that, or lured to it like LOTR.
Well there's always been a facination to the Vikings or the Norse, according to someone I think connected to 13th warrior.
There are so many different type films that Thor can be Aimed at. Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribbean, LotR, just to name 3.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #80
NateGray
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Well how would you do it. Have Thor fly around NYC saving baby's from burning buildings? No thanks.
Yeh no I would base it about him being bound to DB to learn humility.
Then have Loki mess with earth and him have to be Thor to save earth.
and we even have the built in GF with Jane foster.

See I want a movie that the average movie goer will associate and an Asgard based plot is just not something they will associate with.

Heck if they just did the origin from the CB I think it would do fantastic.
Its a great story for a movie.
Lets see Alien villains check
Superhero check
Damsel check
Man finds cane in ancient cave that when he taps it on the ground transforms him into the MIGHTY THOR
Yeh I can see average movie goers gobbling it up.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #81
Bubonic
Banned User

I wouldn't see this having the same sort of appeal as LOTR, I mean that was a rendition of one of the original great fantasy books, long awaited, and masterfully executed.
I just see people taking this badly on account that it is a Marvel epic movie, and that maybe most people don't think comic movies can transcend into that sort of grandiose movie.
Plus didn't the guy say he didn't want that anyways? Guess it could still be marketed as such.
So no old English? good.
But what would it make sense for them to sound like? I guess they'll for some reason all sound sort of British? Unless we'd get some subtitled movie spoken in Old Norse... But I fracking doubt it.
I'm with KangConquers in terms of incorporating the DB origins by the end of the first movie, expanding on that in the 2nd and moving towards some Ragnarok thing in the 3rd.
Bye then they should have an Avengers movie out, which will be sweet, and probably easier to take then seeing him in a solo movie.

Bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #82
Upper_Krust
Side-Kick

Howdy Kang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers
That's ridiculous. As Vartha said, there have been prequels to Jourey into Mystery; you think that the previous 3000 years of Thor's life before he was banished to Earth doesn't deserve screen time?
No, because it has nothing to do with the origins of Marvel Thor.

If you abandon Blake then you abandon ANY ties to Earth, ergo we'll never have a 'proper' Mighty Thor movie.

If you make an all Asgard movie then follow up with Blake in a second movie, then you have to make Thor look like a complete tool in the first movie, because he has to be banished for a reason (being a bullying braggart and trouble maker) Therefore he cannot be a hero.

So either the plan is to make Thor look like a tool in the first movie (unlikely) or they'll abandon any future notion of either Blake or Thor on Earth (even more unlikely with Avengers coming up).

Frankly there doesn't seem to be an elegant solution (once tainted by an all Asgard first movie), which means they'll almost certainly throw out Blake and everything associated with him, thereby consigning the franchise to mediocrity, since it will have no underlying message and no pathos.

Upper_Krust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #83
Upper_Krust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers
Well how would you do it.
Ask me! Ask me!

Quote:
Have Thor fly around NYC saving baby's from burning buildings? No thanks.
Hardly.

But battling Loki or the Wrecking Crew in New York City or the Destroyer as buildings are being demolished, that could be cool.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #84
Upper_Krust
Side-Kick

Hey Bubonic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic
I'm with KangConquers in terms of incorporating the DB origins by the end of the first movie, expanding on that in the 2nd and moving towards some Ragnarok thing in the 3rd.
Except that Donald Blake's incorporation requires Thor previously being shown as a bullying braggart. Which means the first movie has to make Thor look like a tool.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #85
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Not a complete Tool UK, besides you have to figure there's Loki and his complete jelousy he has for Thor, could be written to make Thor look like a tool and get blamed for things Loki had done and in the end Thor gets banished.
It can be written right, have faith bud.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #86
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_Krust View Post
Hey Bubonic!

Except that Donald Blake's incorporation requires Thor previously being shown as a bullying braggart. Which means the first movie has to make Thor look like a tool.
True, might not do much to get people to like the character.
Actually I can see this as problematic now, as the movie would then center on the characterization of Thor as a pompous jerkoff, and the audience might end up rooting for Loki, or no one at all... Ugh, I hate to be a flip-flopper but the DB angle seems easier to write anyways.

But I still feel like the audience might find this all very confusing, and wonder whats up with some debilitated doctor dude finding some ratty cane in a cave and turning into Thor.

Plus I'm trying to figure out how this movie and the sequels will actually be, considering that it seems to be settled that there won't be any Don Blake?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #87
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Not a complete Tool UK, besides you have to figure there's Loki and his complete jelousy he has for Thor, could be written to make Thor look like a tool and get blamed for things Loki had done and in the end Thor gets banished.
It can be written right, have faith bud.
Smart idea!
I can see this working, but isn't the all-father supposed to be all knowing enough to see threw some Loki scheme?
Guess he is a master trickster and it would hold long enough to frame his brother... But that would mean you'd have the protagonist losing in the first movie, and ending it open-ended with DB set up to start in the next movie.

Plus, isn't the script pretty much set?
More of these directors/production companies should make myspace or facebook pages and interact with the fans from the start, seems to have worked for Iron Man so far.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #88
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic View Post
True, might not do much to get people to like the character.
Actually I can see this as problematic now, as the movie would then center on the characterization of Thor as a pompous jerkoff, and the audience might end up rooting for Loki, or no one at all... Ugh, I hate to be a flip-flopper but the DB angle seems easier to write anyways.

But I still feel like the audience might find this all very confusing, and wonder whats up with some debilitated doctor dude finding some ratty cane in a cave and turning into Thor.

Plus I'm trying to figure out how this movie and the sequels will actually be, considering that it seems to be settled that there won't be any Don Blake?
Could be written to where like I said above if Thor had gotten blamed for things Loki had done, Thor would have to Go through certain amount of heroic acts on earth to regain his place on earth somewhat like the Hulk tv movie.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #89
Bubonic
Banned User

Heroic acts? That could be cool, add a bit of the Hercules element to it.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #90
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

yeh Back when Thor was on the Hulk tv show Thor was VERY VERY close to becoming a series with that idea behind it.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #91
Bubonic
Banned User

How set in stone are things though? Last I had read, there would be no DB, it would be all, or predominantly in Asgard, and it would be somewhere in the middle between Stardust and LOTR, not completely comic book, and definitely not epic.

So are we now mostly complaining about the inevitable, trying to make justifications for how this movie could work despite our grievances, or because the movie is so far away, things could change at any moment and people hope some changes will take places between now and then?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #92
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_Krust View Post
Ask me! Ask me!

Hardly.

But battling Loki or the Wrecking Crew in New York City or the Destroyer as buildings are being demolished, that could be cool.
I despise the Wrecking Crew; I've always thought it was a lame idea. That's exactly why I don't want an Earth movie. You'd honestly rather see the Wrecking Crew than Ulik, Sutir, or some of the other Thor villains?

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #93
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic View Post
How set in stone are things though? Last I had read, there would be no DB, it would be all, or predominantly in Asgard, and it would be somewhere in the middle between Stardust and LOTR, not completely comic book, and definitely not epic.

So are we now mostly complaining about the inevitable, trying to make justifications for how this movie could work despite our grievances, or because the movie is so far away, things could change at any moment and people hope some changes will take places between now and then?
Well they are rewritting, so who knows how set they are at this point.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #94
Bubonic
Banned User

I'd like to see the wrecking crew, as they were in omega flight, be dispatched by Thor in a matter of minutes.
I'd just like that in the marvel universe, just to drive home the point that this is a world were they're are always nuts in costumes pulling off crazy crap.
It be a good, fun little scene if no importance was put to it, and had nothing to do with the major story arc.
Just like if maybe they're be 5 minutes in a Spidey movie where he'd get sidetrack by a bankrobery , and low a behold, that dumbass shocker is there.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #95
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I actually don't know how they can make the Wreking crew belivable on film. It would be hard to do.

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 10-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #96
Wolfman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateGray View Post
Man finds cane in ancient cave that when he taps it on the ground transforms him into the MIGHTY THOR
Yeah, that's a cool sounding pitch actually. It could be majestic...

Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #97
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I actually don't know how they can make the Wreking crew belivable on film. It would be hard to do.

A bunch of generic thugs with the power of gods screams "straight to video."

Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #98
Bubonic
Banned User

Well wtv, you don't need a backstory for them, they just look like a bunch of crazy douche-bags, they are, and it wouldn't be bad to "waste" 6 minutes of film on them, for comedic relief, and a good pounding.
I mean they don't look all that bad, I liked their look in the Omega Flight thing.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #99
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

A completely rewritten script is inevitable if they plan on slashing the budget by half of what it would cost.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #100
Bubonic
Banned User

where is the script btw?
is it only available to "insiders"?
if not pm me or reply, i'd like to read it.