High Evolutionary

Default Re: Vaughn: 'I could have made X-Men 3 100x better'

The full Vaughn interview, with more substance and explanation, is here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...fvaughn105.xml

Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #27
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

And Matthew Vaughn mentions his superhero project Thor. He's been asked to slash the $300m budget in half!

"My phone has just rung. Marvel loves the script. The only problem is that it has been costed at $300m and they ask how I am going to reduce it by $150m. I think I prefer being asked what it's like working with De Niro."

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...185548,00.html

Old 10-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #28
04nbod
I need to debrief you

the grass is always greener...

Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #29
the a1ant
Awesome

Considering what Vaughn had added to the X3 script (stuff that ended up in the final product), I don't really know if he could've made a 100x better film, like he says. Fox would've given him less control (and money) than Ratner.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #30
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

"I could have made something a hundred times better than the film that was eventually made"

Now he says it, but he ran away from the responsability and acted like a spoiled brat...what an idiot.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #31
WorthyStevens
Green Man

I strongly believe he could have. But sadly, we'll never know.

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 AM   #32
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

i think it's funny that he says he could have made a version that was 100x better, when HE was responsible for what became the backbone of the version that we did get.

and that isn't even bringing up all of his ridiculous ideas like having wolverine run around with leech in a backpack during the final battle, as well as his absolutely horrendous storyboards for the danger room sequence.

i don't like vaughn. never have, never will, and i have no desire to ever watch a film of his. the version of x-men 3 we got was hardly perfect, but i thank everything that is holy everyday for the fact that we got ratner, instead of vaughn. was ratner perfect? not by a long shot. but he minimized vaugh as much as possible, and turned what could have been an absolute trainwreck into something that, while flawed, is an acceptable part of the trilogy.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 AM   #33
Retroman
Side-Kick

He may have made a much better movie than Ratner did. But as much as i don't like aspects of X3 and creative decisions Ratner and Fox made it's Vaughn who bailed on the project before filming started. He had his chance to make the his version of X3 but didn't.I guess now he's finally realizing what a big mistake he made.

You're 2 and a half years late Matthew.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #34
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

I have stated multiple times that I believed Vaughn was the wrong person to direct X3 however, I am still curious to see what he would have done with it. I didn't have much faith in Ratner because I was afraid we would end up with a movie that looked as though it was made by a hack and I still gave Ratner a chance to prove me wrong. Ratner clearly failed my expectations and I think he was a worst choice to direct X3 then Vaungh. The only directors who would have done a worst job then Brett are Uwe Bol and Paul WS. Anderson.

One positive thing I can say about Vaughn is at least he made one film that was critically acclaimed. Ratner has 8 years more of directing experience than Vaughn, had made almost 3 times as many movies as Vaughn, and he still has not made any film that critically acclaimed. Ratner was a hack 10 years ago and he will always be a hack. Vaughn interestingly enough was in a similar position as Singer when Brian directed his first X-Men movie. He had only directed two films like Brian.

Vaughn unlike Ratner is an up and coming director who has little experience. I am more interested in seeing what he directs in the future than seeing Ratner's lackluster predictable crap.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #35
Seen
It's Been Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

Regarding contracts, it is amazing that Singer wasn't contracted in for X3 more quickly. This must have been to do with ongoing negotiations over his planned X3/X4 and his apparently wanting $50m for it. (Ratner got $7m for X3, for comparison).

Also, Vaughn must have signed a contract at the time he walked. The studio obviously were prepared not to force him to honour it. I'm amazed he was able to walk out at that stage of the production process.
I really don't think Vaughn walked. And if he did, it was because of creative differences and not because of "family". My opinion, of course.

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I never believed the family excuse either. It's a little hard to believe that he didn't realize there would be a commute involved if he took the job. He is married to a model, after all...it's not like they're not used to these things.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #37
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

I never believed that excuse anyway...he could've made the movie better than Ratner cuz he wanted the Phoenix effect and the final battle at D.C

Ratner and crew was the ones that changed everything...

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #38
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Vaughn: 'I could have made X-Men 3 100x better'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
i think it's funny that he says he could have made a version that was 100x better, when HE was responsible for what became the backbone of the version that we did get.

and that isn't even bringing up all of his ridiculous ideas like having wolverine run around with leech in a backpack during the final battle, as well as his absolutely horrendous storyboards for the danger room sequence.

i don't like vaughn. never have, never will, and i have no desire to ever watch a film of his. the version of x-men 3 we got was hardly perfect, but i thank everything that is holy everyday for the fact that we got ratner, instead of vaughn. was ratner perfect? not by a long shot. but he minimized vaugh as much as possible, and turned what could have been an absolute trainwreck into something that, while flawed, is an acceptable part of the trilogy.
While he wasn't my first choice, I'm very curious to see what he would've done with it. Just because there were storyboards of different concepts doesn't mean they would've came to fruition.

There's no way to tell or know if Vaughn would've made a trainwreck. It's all speculation and opinion. We'll never know what his X3 would've been like, so I think you're just bashing to be bashing.

Ratner made the film, so he's going to receive criticism and anger from fans, critics, and so forth.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #39
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Vaughn: 'I could have made X-Men 3 100x better'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
He may have made a much better movie than Ratner did. But as much as i don't like aspects of X3 and creative decisions Ratner and Fox made it's Vaughn who bailed on the project before filming started. He had his chance to make the his version of X3 but didn't.I guess now he's finally realizing what a big mistake he made.

You're 2 and a half years late Matthew.
Do you think it's regret? Or maybe he's just garnering some hype for his upcoming Thor film?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #40
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981 View Post
Do you think it's regret? Or maybe he's just garnering some hype for his upcoming Thor film?
That's a good point. Since they're already asking him to cut the budget in half for Thor, he might be trying to keep the fans' confidence (the ones who feel burned by Ratner's X3) by trying to remind them how much better his version would have been.

Which is lame, if that's what his intent was.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #41
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seen View Post
I really don't think Vaughn walked. And if he did, it was because of creative differences and not because of "family". My opinion, of course.
So do you think he was fired from the production, if you believe he didn't walk away of his own accord?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #42
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981 View Post
I think he is mainly talking because he was asked about it and because his confidence is growing... he may well be hoping to hype up Thor but that movie is a long way from release at this point so it's rather early for hyping.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #43
Advanced Dark
Banned User

I wonder why Stardust was so...meh then.

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #44
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Dark View Post
I wonder why Stardust was so...meh then.
It's not out here in the UK for a week. I've seen one excellent trailer, and one crap trailer. Is it not doing well stateside?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #45
Electrix
Side-Kick

Stardust has a rating of 8.1 from 12,000 votes, so quite a few people like it.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #46
Advanced Dark
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
Stardust has a rating of 8.1 from 12,000 votes, so quite a few people like it.
It's probably the 12 people who saw it voting for it 1000 times each.

Advanced Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #47
Genosha
Mutant Island

I love Stardust! It was my favorite movie this year. Highly recommend!

Genosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #48
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Flare View Post
I never believed that excuse anyway...he could've made the movie better than Ratner cuz he wanted the Phoenix effect and the final battle at D.C

Ratner and crew was the ones that changed everything...
To be fair to Ratner the script already had many problems before Vaughn left. Unfortunately, the few changes Ratner did make didn't help the script. I still think X3's original script is the most dynamic of the 3 films despite the glaring flaws. In retrospect, I think X3 was destined to be a failure after Singer left. Fox procrastinated to put this film together by hiring two writers 8 months before filming and Vaughn 5 months before filming. Fox made things very difficult for Vaughn to make the film he envisioned so he left. It's a miracle that the mediocre film didn't turn out to be 10 times worse. I guess Ratner should be given some credit for turning a foul smelling turd into turd that stinks less.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #49
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosha View Post
I love Stardust! It was my favorite movie this year. Highly recommend!

That's okay. I thought Stardust was boring and predictable. I wasn't the only one in the theater who reacted this way. I saw it with a few friends and they all felt the same way. Some of the other audience members in the theater with me mocked the movie. I usually get angry when people talk in a theater but, some of those mocking comments were more interesting than the movie.

I would recommend most people to wait for the DVD release of Stardust.

CBM hack list:

Old 10-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #50
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Yeah i really belive, that Vaughn could of made X-Men 3 100x time better, when Stardust and Layer Cake, both movies where he had enough time to work on both sucked horribly.

Aside from two movies (Lock, Stock,... & Snatch.) Evertyhing else that Vaughn has been assoicated with, well, has been garbage (or rubbish for my Brit friends.)

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote