The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #101
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Default Re: Vaughn: 'I could have made X-Men 3 100x better'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSunrise1981 View Post
I think the only reason Superman wasn't a resounding success was because of fanboys and non-fanboys complaining about no action. Most of their complaints state that Superman should be wall to wall action, which is quite sad, considering that Superman is a wonderful story and there's more to the character than mindless action.
The number one complaint I've heard about Superman is the lack of action because inspite of having a good storyline the movie clearly does not have enough action. However, there are early reasons why the movie failed. The WB did a poor job of promoting this film. I barely saw any commercials for Superman before it was released. Also, it didn't have the best release date. Pirates of the Carribean 2 took away most of it's audience a week after it's release.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.

Last edited by Theweepeople; 10-23-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Theweepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #102
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
6) Massive successes like Pirates, Spider-Man and Transformers (which did not receive massive negative feedback) prove that rollicking, spectacular action-adventure sells well if done right.
The reason those films were successful is because there was a good balance between the storylines and the action. It's the same reason why the 3 hour long Lord of the Rings movies were all successful. These all had the perfect balance of drama and action. Sometimes there were long periods of time in between action sequences but, when it came it did not disappoint. Superman Returns failed miserably at this. It took the movie around 30 minutes to get going. Then after we see a decent action sequence the film slows down again until the last 30 minutes. Then after a few minutes of action it slows down again until the credits start rolling.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #103
Retroman
Side-Kick

More from Vaughn...

Quote:
Publié le 23-10-2007 16:52

What did you think of “X-Men 3”?

It was weird because I worked on it and I storyboarded a lot of it. I think given the amount of time they had to make the film, it was pretty good. My version would’ve been different, very different. Far more emotional, far more about the characters. My version would’ve been at least half an hour longer. I couldn’t believe how short it was. I thought it was OK. It wasn’t as good as X1 or X2. It lost its soul.

Are you going to do “Thor”?

I’ve done the script and we’re talking about it. But it’s a huge logistical and financial burden for anyone. So the budget is like 300 million at the moment, so we’re trying to reshape it and get it down. So yes, I’m committed to it.

Charlie Cox said earlier that you might be doing a WWI film together.

It’s all to do with “Thor”, if “Thor” is going ahead or not. It’s a smaller very dramatic, beautiful script. I need to find someone to play the opposite role, many, tough. There aren’t many actors who are like that. They’re all wimps these guys now. They’re not the McQueens, the Lee Marvins… a man’s man. They’ve all gone.

Well, there’s Jason Statham.

Yeah, there’s Jason. Maybe Jason.
Source Link

Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #104
xmenfilesfan05
Side-Kick

I think he was spot on in saying that it "lost its soul"...however, no point in commenting on what he would've done with it, he left-simple as that.

xmenfilesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #105
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It's curious he used the phrase 'lost its soul' as i said something very similar on here just prior to that.

However, he had his chance to make an X-movie....with more time and less rushing than Ratner.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #106
MoPlaYa
Crazy Guy

Coulda, Woulda. Shoulda..

Nuff said

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #107
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Anyone else notice that Vaughn's name isn't listed against Thor in Marvel's lating list of forthcoming projects, on the Hype main page?! He hasn't done a runner again, has he?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #108
Electrix
Side-Kick

It doesn't list Magneto either.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #109
Seen
It's Been Seen

Quote:
Anyone else notice that Vaughn's name isn't listed against Thor in Marvel's lating list of forthcoming projects, on the Hype main page?! He hasn't done a runner again, has he?
Probably because THOR is at the genesis of its production...Vaughn is still trying to get a shooting script and a workable budget. And with the strike, getting THOR by summer 2009 might provide to be a difficulty now.

Same with MAGNETO most likely as well.

Seen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #110
Retroman
Side-Kick

Yeah the movie's original script was budgeted at 300 million so rewrites were necessary but that's impossible now with the strike.

Both his DP and Composer from Stardust have already signed on.Not that means anything it shows his intent.

BTW i watched Stardust at the cinema last week and really enjoyed it.With Layer Cake and this movie Vaughn demonstrates his versatility as a director. I'm kind of surprised it didn't do better at the box office. It's a great family movie with a very good cast. Maybe with a better marketing campaign and different release date (thanksgiving/christmas?) it might have made more money.

Last edited by Retroman; 11-13-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Retroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #111
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
Yeah the movie's original script was budgeted at 300 million so rewrites were necessary but that's impossible now with the strike.

Both his DP and Composer from Stardust have already signed on.Not that means anything it shows his intent.

BTW i watched Stardust at the cinema last week and really enjoyed it.With Layer Cake and this movie Vaughn demonstrates his versatility as a director. I'm kind of surprised it didn't do better at the box office. It's a great family movie with a very good cast. Maybe with a better marketing campaign and different release date (thanksgiving/christmas?) it might have made more money.

Stardust is doing better overseas. I've heard comments that it was maybe too restrained, too subtle and too English for the US market who want a grander feel with more explosions and Hollywooden formulaic presentation.

I've not seen it yet. I have tried twice but the queues of people were too long to even get in!

Old 11-13-2007, 05:27 AM   #112
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Stardust is doing better overseas. I've heard comments that it was maybe too restrained, too subtle and too English for the US market who want a grander feel with more explosions and Hollywooden formulaic presentation.
That's the thing... the core of the movie does have a romantic story as the core but it's grand and there are explosions and lots of eye candy.It's a good family night out IMO.
Quote:
I've not seen it yet. I have tried twice but the queues of people were too long to even get in!
There wasn't a sold out crowd when i saw it.It's done reasonable business here but nothing as big as it seems to be doing in the UK.

Maybe Paramount should try to re release the movie in the Holiday period.It might do better. Who knows.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #113
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's the thing... the core of the movie does have a romantic story as the core but it's grand and there are explosions and lots of eye candy.It's a good family night out IMO.

There wasn't a sold out crowd when i saw it.It's done reasonable business here but nothing as big as it seems to be doing in the UK.

Maybe Paramount should try to re release the movie in the Holiday period.It might do better. Who knows.
I saw the movie with a decent sized crowd and quite a few people mocked the movie. All of my friends said they were bored out of their minds with this film.

CBM hack list:

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #114
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Eh, I think with the Golden Compass and Enchanted, it might get lost among the fantasy films if they re-released it.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 AM   #115
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theweepeople View Post
I saw the movie with a decent sized crowd and quite a few people mocked the movie. All of my friends said they were bored out of their minds with this film.
Did you really think it was that bad? I haven't seen it yet but have only heard rave reviews here in the UK and I've been unable to even get in to see it because of the queues!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #116
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Did you really think it was that bad? I haven't seen it yet but have only heard rave reviews here in the UK and I've been unable to even get in to see it because of the queues!
I haven't seen it yet, but it played for awhile in the theaters in NY, and I heard some good things about it. I guess it depended on the audience. I still want to see it.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #117
MattC
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Just go see it Kill people if you have to lol It is worth it in my opinion, which you may completely not listen to in future if you think this film sucks. The only problem I had with it were some shaky FX in places, but I can totally live with that.

MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #118
Angamb
Banned User

I saw Stardust yesterday....

I thought it was better. Not so great... not bad, but is more of the same... some nice momments, and all of that, but nothing special.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #119
jrd550
He who is him

well I'm glad he said it sucked - nobody has had the nuts to say so - within the industry at least.

jrd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #120
Retroman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theweepeople View Post
It was anything but boring. But that's just my opnion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Eh, I think with the Golden Compass and Enchanted, it might get lost among the fantasy films if they re-released it.
I forgot about those films. You're probably right.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #121
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
Then maybe you should have stuck with it, a**hole. Put up or shut up.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #122
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Vaughn: 'I could have made X-Men 3 100x better'

You know I was watching an old Buffy The Vampire Slayer episode with Willow becoming evil via the usage of witchcraft. I felt the end with her and Xander should've been used as a blueprint for Scott and Jean.

Obviously Scott wouldn't have used humor and heart the way Xander does, but the overall effect would've been the same. It's truly one of the most emotional, darkest, and heartfelt moments in the Buffy The Vampire universe.

Granted with Logan marching up to her it was a similar scenario and for some people it was emotional, however, I'm not sure Vaughn could've pulled off such an emotional epic closure that is necessary for a story of this magnitude. Ratner didn't do it for me obviously, and while I'm curious as to what Vaughn would've done, the fact that he left the way he did doesn't really give me confidence that he would've done a decent job.

I would've preferred Singer to finish it obviously, but in the end nothing can be done. The film was made, released, made money, and is on DVD right now obviously.

And for those wondering about my Willow statement here is a video of said scene.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #123
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

I know exactly what you mean that scene with Xaner and Willow was real because he's known her since they were kids and you can see Willow/D.Willow fighting for control and that's why this scene was very emotional and cute in a way...although the scene with Logan/Jean was visually good, it didn't feal real because Logan didn't know Jean for long, compared to Scott and I believe only Singer would've pulled that off just like he did with Jean's sacrifice and how Scott broke down...

The way they displayed her powers it kind of made sense for Logan to stop her, but Xander isn't a mutant/slayer and he took the "whippings" Willow gave him, I think Scott would've took it the same way and still pressed on...in that case then why not let Beast or Storm march up 2 her I mean they have known Jean longer...

To me TLS was a bunch of ideas pulled from tv shows/comics it wasn't to much original...I do luv the movie, but I loved X2 more, so maybe Vaughn could've done a better job who knows...

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #124
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

It's quite hard to say what Vaughn would have done or, more accurately, been ALLOWED to do. He would probably have given the movie more soul but I'm sure some of the controversial elements would have remained.

Since Dark Willow was probably inspired by Dark Phoenix, then it's hard to say with certainty where the copying originated.

I thought X3's climax to be quite well done, despite the various gripes on here over Wolverine's healing and, of course, over Cyclops' absence. We were spoiled since the movie with discarded storyboards of Phoenix destroying San Francisco but what we did get in the movie worked well with the waves of destruction across the island and the tendrils of water rising above it. The visuals and cinematography of the climax were very well done. It's quite breathtaking when Phoenix unleashes her power on the island, when the water rises up, and when it falls down again when Jean dies... all helped by Famke's great acting in that sequence.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #125
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

so true Famke did muy bien (very good) with what "little" they gave her...its kind of upsetting that they gave a great actress, so little, but I guess villans should be more of threat quiet than so talkative unlike Magneto...Mystique,Sabertooth,Deathstrike,Dark Phoenix gave chills because they were silent threats and when they demanded attention they got it!!!

Phoenix_Flare is offline   Reply With Quote