The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #376
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Default Re: RESPECT the CYCLOPS Thread!

Oh I fully agree AvX was one backwards a** storyline.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #377
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I think Marvel has accepted and gone on the assumption that Cyclops is a huuuge d**k for many years
It's just the Cyclops fans who refuse to accept it, and then ask why he's being written as such a d**k.
I actually think Marvel has been running from this fact for the longest.

First of all, liking Whedon's Cyclops means you like Morrison, because Whedon simply built upon Morrison's portrayal. It was the idea that Cyclops appears very confident, but in fact is cripplingly insecure, and is dependent on women to mask this.

Before Morrison really shook up his character, Marvel had consistently tried to force the notion that Cyclops was the boyscout, while Wolverine was/is the dangerous one. That doesn't really jive at all considering Scott is far more deadly in terms of powerset, and really, on the whole, for having a far shorter lifespan has dealt with way more f***ed up sh** than Wolverine.

I mean at this point he's got to be numb to the revolving door of family members he has.

Scott's a bada**, so I think they're trying to make this their opportunity to make him act like one.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #378
MilkmanDan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
First of all, liking Whedon's Cyclops means you like Morrison, because Whedon simply built upon Morrison's portrayal. It was the idea that Cyclops appears very confident, but in fact is cripplingly insecure, and is dependent on women to mask this.
I don't know... Cyke's central role in Astonishing X-Men felt like a natural continuation of Morrison's run which had re-established Cyclops as a prominent character. However I'm not sure he really affected the way Whedon's portrayed him. Whedon's Cyclops felt quite traditional. Apart from Cyke beeing the headmaster and dating Emma, there was nothing about his characterization that was particularly different from classic Cyclops. Least of all his insecuries which have always been an important part of the character.

Last edited by MilkmanDan; 10-24-2012 at 09:45 AM.
MilkmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #379
batnkevlar
Side-Kick

Where can I get a Cyclops Was Right T-Shirt?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #380
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Yeah, I would too. After all, he was right.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #381
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

I came here because of all the Cyclops love, since hes easily my fave X-Men, if not even fave Marvel character, BUT then I saw the panel on the first page where Scott "beat" Batman in All Access issue 4, I believe.

Even with all my love for Scott, him beating Batman did not happen. He blasted him once, thats all. You kinda forgot to post the panels from issue three, where Batman, single handedly (since the JLA hadn't interfered yet) beat up the whole squad of X-Men ( consisting of Cyc, Bishop, Cannonball, Jean Grey, Storm, Iceman and others if I remember correct) for more than 4 full pages. He even evades several of Cycs blasts and then chokes him out without much effort.
Batman then gets taken down by Iceman freezing the floor and Bishop taking him down, BUT he more than held his own against the whole group amd Cyc taking Batman out did not happen.
I'm sorry, but my fan heart had to defend Batman there. As much as I love Scott.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #382
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Talking Re: RESPECT the CYCLOPS Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
I came here because of all the Cyclops love, since hes easily my fave X-Men, if not even fave Marvel character, BUT then I saw the panel on the first page where Scott "beat" Batman in All Access issue 4, I believe.

Even with all my love for Scott, him beating Batman did not happen. He blasted him once, thats all. You kinda forgot to post the panels from issue three, where Batman, single handedly (since the JLA hadn't interfered yet) beat up the whole squad of X-Men ( consisting of Cyc, Bishop, Cannonball, Jean Grey, Storm, Iceman and others if I remember correct) for more than 4 full pages. He even evades several of Cycs blasts and then chokes him out without much effort.
Batman then gets taken down by Iceman freezing the floor and Bishop taking him down, BUT he more than held his own against the whole group amd Cyc taking Batman out did not happen.
I'm sorry, but my fan heart had to defend Batman there. As much as I love Scott.
Sorry, but I found Batman single-handedly beating the entire X-Men team more unblievable than Cyclops beating Batman by himself. But then again, Batman is pretty much worshipped as a god in the comic books due to his popularity, so I'm sure any defeat against Batman would be perceived as outrageously fictitious.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #383
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

AVX Consequences was the most badass Scott to date.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #384
Havok83
Side-Kick

Gillen needs to pen a Cyclops solo

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #385
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
AVX Consequences was the most badass Scott to date.
I would say, attitude wise, I have never respected him more and he has never been more badass. In terms of displays of power, I think the classic get off my lawn blast, and his overloading bishop in civil war was pretty damn badass. Also his most recent uncontrolled blast that just obliterated the sentinels in the new uncanny run was pretty badass.

mwmillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #386
habitual
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Sorry, but I found Batman single-handedly beating the entire X-Men team more unblievable than Cyclops beating Batman by himself. But then again, Batman is pretty much worshipped as a god in the comic books due to his popularity, so I'm sure any defeat against Batman would be perceived as outrageously fictitious.
If Spider-Man can do it why not Batman?

Hab

habitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #387
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

*runs in*
CYCLOPS WAS WRONG!
*runs out*

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #388
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Everybody was wrong in AvX. Most of all us for reading it.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #389
mwmillett
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Everybody was wrong in AvX. Most of all us for reading it.
Sadly you are very right, The premise was off and the characters were vastly underwritten during the conflict, the avengers were fed bad info from nova and wolverine. From the beginning Bendis had painted the Phoenix as an evil destructive force. Since we all know this to be incorrect and that the had no intention of destroying the Earth, I think it is safe to say that the X-men were right, especially after Cable came back and told Scott that the Avengers would kill hope and to protect her at all costs, the Avengers however were not wrong, just misled from the begging, they sincerely thought they were doing the right thing.

mwmillett is offline   Reply With Quote