No problem.

PhotoJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #52
Arkady Rossovich
Banned User

Default Re: RESPECT the CYCLOPS Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
He's generally regarded as second only to Captain America, as far as I've heard.
That's something i can belive.Well,what about now?I don't think he can do much,thanks to writers who don't know how to handle the character.

Arkady Rossovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #53
ShadowBoxing
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jourmugand View Post
That's something i can belive.Well,what about now?I don't think he can do much,thanks to writers who don't know how to handle the character.
The Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, of which he has been primarily a part of, is amazing. They've been doing a nice job of handling his character. Probably the best since the end of the 80s.

Although I don't get this criticism that Morrison made him a dick by having him cheat on Jean. He cheated on Jean back when Claremont wrote him, with Coleen Wing (technically). Walked out on his first wife and son in X-Factor vol.1 #1. He even had a crush on Psylock right before marrying Jean Grey. He might be a great leader, but as a social animal...he's primarily always been a bit of a dick.

Last edited by ShadowBoxing; 10-20-2007 at 09:07 PM.
ShadowBoxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #54
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxing View Post
The Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon, of which he has been primarily a part of, is amazing. They've been doing a nice job of handling his character. Probably the best since the end of the 80s.

Although I don't get this criticism that Morrison made him a dick by having him cheat on Jean. He cheated on Jean back when Claremont wrote him, with Coleen Wing (technically). Walked out on his first wife and son in X-Factor vol.1 #1. He even had a crush on Psylock right before marrying Jean Grey. He might be a great leader, but as a social animal...he's primarily always been a bit of a dick.
Well there was the whole, let me make out with Emma on Jean's tombstone scene, but that was written by Austen so it doesn't count.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #55
ShadowBoxing
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Well there was the whole, let me make out with Emma on Jean's tombstone scene, but that was written by Austen so it doesn't count.
Austin: the same man who had Scott's response to his brother's return from the dead be "you're wrinkling my coat".

Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #56
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

But to be fair, it was a really nice coat.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #57
fifthfiend
M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
He's generally regarded as second only to Captain America, as far as I've heard.
I've always liked to think of Cyclops as "Like Captain America, except he's a dick who nobody likes, so he has to work a lot harder at it."

fifthfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #58
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Haha, that works. I knew he'd left Madelyne and Nathan, but I didn't think he was that big a dick. ShadowBoxing's little explanation of his past indiscretions says otherwise, though. I don't feel so bad that he was basically written as a boring nobody for years now. He deserved it.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #59
fifthfiend
M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

I don't mean so much in terms of any overt thing he's done so much as that in his day to day course of doing things, he should just generally be a total dick. Like say they're in the danger room and he constantly berates the team for ****ing up, and they're like dang, Cyclops is a dick. But then they're on a mission and he risks life and limb to save the lives of his teammates and his totally badass leadership saves the day and they're all like holy **** that was awesome, Cyclops is the man! And then he turns around and berates them for ****ing up and making him risk his life to save their dumb asses and he shouldn't have to bark orders and **** cause they should know better in the first place, and then they're like wow Cyclops, you're a total dick.

Last edited by fifthfiend; 10-21-2007 at 02:05 PM.
fifthfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #60
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Hahaha, that would probably be the funniest issue of X-Men ever.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #61
ShadowBoxing
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthfiend View Post
I don't mean so much in terms of any overt thing he's done so much as that in his day to day course of doing things, he should just generally be a total dick. Like say they're in the danger room and he constantly berates the team for ****ing up, and they're like dang, Cyclops is a dick. But then they're on a mission and he risks life and limb to save the lives of his teammates and his totally badass leadership saves the day and they're all like holy **** that was awesome, Cyclops is the man! And then he turns around and berates them for ****ing up and making him risk his life to save their dumb asses and he shouldn't have to bark orders and **** cause they should know better in the first place, and then they're like wow Cyclops, you're a total dick.
He doesn't do that. The only time he berated another member for f***ing up in the danger room is Thunderbird I, and he was really upset for doing so afterwards (prior to his death).

He also, to my knowledge, never complains about having to risk his own life. The closest he came to that was refusing to help the X-Men when Jean was in the hospital.

The worst thing Morrison did to the character was made him ungrateful and a whiner. He usually is neither.

Last edited by ShadowBoxing; 10-21-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #62
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Re: RESPECT the CYCLOPS Thread!

Cyclops is alright, but I think we all know that the real badass of the X-Men is Hank McCoy.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #63
Cypocalypse
Side-Kick

Jesus, I need all these images saved to my blog page. Seriously.

Cypocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #64
wildjokers
Side-Kick

Nice thread,cyclops was my fav xmen,i have two brothers and the would always tell me "wolverine would whoop cyclops' @$$"wait till i show them this

ohh and btw HULK PWNS CYCLOPS

wildjokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #65
ShadowBoxing
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjokers View Post
ohh and btw HULK PWNS CYCLOPS
Well, I've never seen him PWN the Hulk, so I'm inclined to believe you. However, I wonder what a blast like the one that 'killed' Apocalypse would do to the Hulk -- guess we'll never know.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #66
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Cyclops is alright, but I think we all know that the real badass of the X-Men is Hank McCoy.
Beast is an underappreciated bag of awesome.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #67
PhotoJones
Banned User

Not by me. I appreciate the furball just fine.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #68
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Me, too. It just seems like he never gets much of a chance to shine outside of the times a genetics problem arises in the mutant microcosm. He hasn't cracked wise with anyone in years, yet a lot of my fond memories of him come from him and Warren or Bobby making jokes.

Also, I'd love to see him regress out of the cat-face.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #69
PhotoJones
Banned User

It's a genetics problem and he's not cracking wise, but he's getting plenty of screen time in the Endangered Species backups. And yes, the ape-Beact is the best Beast.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #70
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I know. Part of the problem with Beast not getting any time to be as funny and charming as he used to be is the event-driven nature of both Marvel and DC's current comics. Everything is in service to some event or dealing with the ramifications of an event or leading up to the next event, it seems. It feels like none of the comics have the time to just set up a status quo and show us the characters in that context anymore. But that could just be me.

Regardless, I'm glad Beast is so central to the X-Men comics at the moment, and I hope he continues to get the respect he deserves. He's awesome.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #71
PhotoJones
Banned User

Funny, charming Beast = AXM Beast.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #72
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, which I get to see once every three months or so.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #73
PhotoJones
Banned User

Isn't Beast back in Unverse X-Men, or something?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #74
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Who cares?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #75
ShadowBoxing
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by photojones2 View Post
It's a genetics problem and he's not cracking wise, but he's getting plenty of screen time in the Endangered Species backups. And yes, the ape-Beact is the best Beast.
I always hated the fact that, for a guy who is suppose to be a "beast", he looked like a handsome male with blue skin and Wolverine's haircut. I'm actually glad that Cassady and some of the other recent artists have kept Morrison's basic designs, but changed up and softened a lot of the aspects I didn't like about it. He needs to be more Beastial, and the fact that now he looks reminiscent of the Beast from Beauty and the Beast I think aids his character quite well.