The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #301
ShaneHelms
CS Model 101

Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Not to mention the specific scene in Batman Returns where he is clearly doing detective work on the background of The Red Triangle Gang.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #302
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parents-Gun-Bat View Post
Burton's BAtman a detective? Funny.

I think "Bombermurderman" would be more appropriate
What about "Bannedfortrolling"

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #303
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

I used to regard the Burton movies as the 60s show reversed in a BIZARRO way. You know, like that show was funny and campy they went back and tried so hard to make everything dark. Nicholson played the Joker role like an evil twin of Cesar Romero, and they took the small and not-so-good-looking Michael Keaton to replace the tall lady's man Adam West.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #304
DocLathropBrown
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
I used to regard the Burton movies as the 60s show reversed in a BIZARRO way. You know, like that show was funny and campy they went back and tried so hard to make everything dark. Nicholson played the Joker role like an evil twin of Cesar Romero, and they took the small and not-so-good-looking Michael Keaton to replace the tall lady's man Adam West.

Hey, PGB. Didn't think you'd fool us, did you?

Indiana Jones
and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

DocLathropBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #305
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

I thought he just had a probationary ban? Did he had such an urge to post that he created a new user

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #306
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLathropBrown View Post
Hey, PGB. Didn't think you'd fool us, did you?
Who is PGB?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #307
DocLathropBrown
Side-Kick

It's no coincidence that when PGB is on probation that a new user who's anti-Burton shows up. Animosity against the Burton films is on the decline these days, so I don't believe it's a coincidence. He even keeps the "silver-age / 60s series" prefurred bias.

It's sad and pathetic that PGB has so little in his life that he has to crusade against Burton's films and their fans.

Indiana Jones

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #308
turtlefocker
Banned User

Returns is my second favorite bat movie, after BB. This movie still kicks ass though I don't get why Jett doesn't like it.

turtlefocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #309
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

^I don't get why Jett doesn't like Returns either,didn't he give it a D+? Heck,if I remember correctly he gave Batman Forever a C ?.

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #310
turtlefocker
Banned User

ahh, well. Who am I to talk? I like B&R....

1. Batman Begins (9/10)
2. Batman Returns (8/20)
3. Batman '89 (7/10) ---- Batman and Robin (7/10)
4. Batman The Movie (6/10)
5. Batman Forever (5/10)

turtlefocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #311
DocLathropBrown
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
^I don't get why Jett doesn't like Returns either,didn't he give it a D+? Heck,if I remember correctly he gave Batman Forever a C ?.
It's only because Batman Returns didn't do Batman the way he wanted Batman to be done. I can understand disliking the film, I don't hate him for it, but his reasons for why it's terrible show a complete and utter lack of understanding. And by how he gobbles-up anything Christopher Nolan does, maybe he's not bright enough to be able to appreciate interpretations other than what he prefurs?

You can point out all of the truly "Batman" things that are in BR until you're blue in the face, and Jett will act as if he doesn't hear you. It's like talking to a fish.

Indiana Jones

Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #312
Dr. Fate
Banned User

Call it a plothole if you will, but when Bruce is playing the Penguin's "pin head puppets...harp from hell" bit, is it me or is it missing something? Perhaps going back to when he originally recorded the Penguin's tirade in the Batmobile, one thing he needed to record, something that would help nail the coffin shut on the Penguin's faux 'nice benevolent guy' image would be the Penguin bragging about framing Batman for the Ice Princess's death. Something like the Penguin gloating "Hey Bats, you shoulda seen the look on your face when I knocked that ice broad off the roof!" [insert evil laughter]

Oh well, I guess they figured it wasn't necessary since they had the Penguin shoot at the crowd.

Dr. Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #313
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

well, Burton gave us Michael Keaton in a rubber suit.

Don't know if this is good or bad

Old 05-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #314
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLathropBrown View Post
It's no coincidence that when PGB is on probation that a new user who's anti-Burton shows up. Animosity against the Burton films is on the decline these days, so I don't believe it's a coincidence. He even keeps the "silver-age / 60s series" prefurred bias.

It's sad and pathetic that PGB has so little in his life that he has to crusade against Burton's films and their fans.
the kids a frickin idiot, sorry to put it so bluntly.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #315
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

'Things Batman Returns got right' by what criteria? Whose criteria?

You understand that the movie version of Batman defines the character far more than the comics have ever done, simply by reaching more people. Who is to say the Returns version of Batman is any less 'right' than the non-existant comic version that some fans seem to think is some holy scripture?

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #316
Mr. Socko
Side-Kick

That is why this thread is essentially just subjective. What it got right and wrong is basically just our opinions and preferences.

I think BR got Catwoman down perfectly. Many others will say she was entirely wrong.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #317
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Socko View Post
That is why this thread is essentially just subjective. What it got right and wrong is basically just our opinions and preferences.

I think BR got Catwoman down perfectly. Many others will say she was entirely wrong.
I think Returns has the best ever versions of Catwoman and the Penguin, in any medium.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #318
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
I think Returns has the best ever versions of Catwoman and the Penguin, in any medium.
And Catwoman was already a good character. Penguin simply went from lousy to excellent.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #319
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
And Catwoman was already a good character. Penguin simply went from lousy to excellent.
The Penguin became comedic yet tragic, despicably evil yet pathetic, and truly scary. How anyone could say that is not an improvement on any previous version of the Penguin is beyond me.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #320
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

^I agree completely. Before the Penguin was just a little guy in a suit with an umbrella and a cigarette. Hardly threatening at all. But I think what Burton did was sheer perfection and it made him one of Batman's most sickly-sweet characters. Sure he's pretty evil, but you still kinda feel bad for the guy.

mongoose-mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #321
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I agree with that, though both a little over the top they both worked for what Burton was going for with the whole film.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #322
Leenie
Make Up!

What Batman Returns got right:
  • Selina/Catwoman and Bruce/Batman's relationship. Every exchange they had together was perfect. In fact, this part of the movie is the ONLY reason why I even care to re-watch this movie.
  • The atmosphere of Gotham City. I like it. I like it a lot.
What Batman Returns got wrong:
  • BATMAN KILLING PEOPLE! I remember that this didn't bother me when the movie first came out (I was only 6 years old at the time), but when I saw the movie again about a decade later, the killing REALLY ticked me off! It still does! I can't cheer for a superhero who smiles when he kills the baddies.
  • The Penguin. Tim Burton, in his usual freaky style, ruined this character. The sad part is that Danny DeVito was the perfect casting. What wasted potential.
  • Catwoman's origin. Sorry, I thought the whole supernatural origin was just plain stupid. And because of the origin, Catwoman sometimes acted a bit too eccentric for my taste. Eating a bird and licking herself was too much.
  • The movie felt more like a villain movie than a Batman movie. I have to agree with Jett on this one.
  • The ending was so stupid. An army of penguins with rocket packs? I would have accepted this in the 1960's Batman, but when it comes to a movie that's aiming to be really dark, then it's awful!
Anywho, this is all I can think of at the moment. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this movie. Batman '89 is the only film of the original four that I'm a fan of.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #323
Jack O Lantern
Mad Jack

Quote:
BATMAN KILLING PEOPLE! I remember that this didn't bother me when the movie first came out (I was only 6 years old at the time), but when I saw the movie again about a decade later, the killing REALLY ticked me off! It still does! I can't cheer for a superhero who smiles when he kills the baddies.
You're not supposed to. At the end of Batman Wayne had got revenge on the man who had killed his parents. He expected this to cause closeure but it just deepened his madness and the lines between doing what was right and wrong became blurred to him. It's not until he meets Catwoman who represents the direction that he is heading that he begins to look at himself and his actions more closing.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #324
Leenie
Make Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
You're not supposed to. At the end of Batman Wayne had got revenge on the man who had killed his parents. He expected this to cause closeure but it just deepened his madness and the lines between doing what was right and wrong became blurred to him. It's not until he meets Catwoman who represents the direction that he is heading that he begins to look at himself and his actions more closing.
Seeing conflict in Batman's character about killing people is very interesting, and I think it's a necessary story to tell. However, the conflict doesn't mean anything when we keep seeing him kill people. If the movie had shown Batman fighting the temptation to kill instead, then I would have been more invested in the conflict. I think the movie screwed up.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #325
Jack O Lantern
Mad Jack

The movie was part two of three. In the third movie, and this still happens just not as well done as I would assume Burton would have done, he fights against his actions in Batman Returns. In Forever he says somthing like "You go and you kill him but your pain doesn't die with Harvey; it grows so you go after another face then another until one terrible day to wake up and discover that your whole life has become about vengeance."