Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #126
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudette
Has anyone else noticed about how little dialog is in movies these days?

That's what makes me appreciate Quintin Tarintino's and Kevin Smith's movies - the fact that their minds are somewhere deeper into the screenplay than anyone else. They've involved themselves in projects so much more intimately. Whether it's a rant about what the French call a Big Mac or the wonders of donkey Bestiality - the writers wanted to jump into those topics and wallow around in them. Practically NO ONE in SR had more than two sentences to say. And the vast majority of the film is spent with characters spitting only one sentence at a time. I think the only person who spouts at least 3 senetnces in a row is the late Marlon Brando. Which is fine because I like to hear him talk. Clark and Lois have the most dialog invested in the movie and that only comes when Clark is giving Lois his "interview."

I am constantly offended by the current state of screenplays in today's films - they think I can't both like action AND long exposition. I think they assume that if I like a good action scene, I'm also too stupid to like a brainy film with complex dialog. I'm trully offended!

Even though I have really enjoyed the X2 and SR, they just seem unwilling to just let the character's talk. And I can't stand that!

You won't lose me by just letting characters talk. And I'm also NOT going to tune out if there's a lot of action on screen. I'm going to pay one million percent attention the WHOLE entire movie.

NO ONE in a Dougherty & Harris movie has chemistry together.
Since when does more dialogue make for a better movie? Talented writers know how to create meaningful character moments thorugh actions and not words. Anybody can create emtion with dialogue.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 PM   #127
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm looking forward to see what they do with the sequel.

Last edited by Showtime; 10-31-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #128
Rizor
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogbs19
Wait, Puzo handled the original screenplay for STM and S2, and I think he did a darn good job, given how well those movies have survived the decades, and still are considered among the best scripted CB movies ever. Did you not enjoy STM or S2?
While Puzo does have the main screenwriting credit on the films, it doesn't reflect how much of the script is really his material. The Writer's Guild can be pretty messed up like that. For example, if someone writes a script based on a book, the script gets thrown out the window, and someone else comes on board to start from scratch, the old screenwriter still gets credit because the WGA deems that they were the first ones to adapt the material. Now, this isn't always the case, but there are quite a few examples (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas credits two writers that had nothing to do with the shooting script, David Mamet is credited as the main screenwriter on Hannibal even though his script wasn't used, Leigh Brackett has a credit on the Empire Strikes Back despite the fact that she died before finishing it and her script was thrown out anyway, etc....). Nobody knows what's up with the wacky guys at the WGA.

For whatever reason, the WGA gave Puzo and the Newmans have the screenplay credit on Superman: The Movie and Superman II. This probably worked to some advantage since Puzo was probably thought of as a prestige writer at the time ("Look it's by the guy that did the Godfather!"). Hell, I personally thought it was pretty cool the movie was written by Puzo until I found out about Mankiewicz. Heck, Donner shoved it to the WGA by giving him a "Creative Consultant" credits after the writer's credit.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:22 AM   #129
Dan33977
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super78
Alright, come on.

Its pretty much common knowledge that Doherty and Harris with Singer are "one the same" -- if you catch my drift.

All three did vacation in Hawaii together and came up with the story to SR.

Vacation in Hawaii TOGETHER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee
try this.....keep your homophobia out of this site.
Amen, C. Lee! You are officially my favorite moderator on this message board. Also, please disregard my report of his reply. I wasn't aware that you had already handled the situation when I reported it.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #130
Morg
Hayden addict
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33977
Amen, C. Lee! You are officially my favorite moderator on this message board. Also, please disregard my report of his reply. I wasn't aware that you had already handled the situation when I reported it.

You mean ALL the mods, that alert was to every mod here not just to C lee

Old 11-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #131
Morg
Hayden addict
SHH! Global Moderator

BTW kryptonitedog that was in poor taste, I'm removing all your posts and give a probation to boot. Next time one of us just will just ban you

Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #132
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

*sigh*

Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #133
Dan33977
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg
Oh, I'm sorry...

Old 11-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #134
dar-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger
Tom Mankiewicz (sp?) cleaned up Puzo's bulky, uber campy script. We didn't really see all of Puzo's intentions in Superman 1 & 2. Most of that was Mankiewicz.
Please get your facts right. The campy stuff didnt come from puzo. That came from David and Leslie Newman who wrote also superman 3! Puzo's serious story was rewritten into campy garbage by them. Then when Donner replaced Guy Hamilton he got Mankiewicz to rewrite the Newmans script using some of puzos story and adding a more biblical tone.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #135
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitedog
yeah whats so wrong with posting up a picture??
some of you are like nazis in here

talk about being prejudiced,

how exactly is a picture of superman poor taste??
I think some of you children need to learn what a Nazi is before you go throwing the term around so loosely. Read my PM....I thoroughly explain why your homophobia is not needed or wanted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg
But I'm the nice Nazi.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #136
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar-El
Please get your facts right. The campy stuff didnt come from puzo. That came from David and Leslie Newman who wrote also superman 3! Puzo's serious story was rewritten into campy garbage by them. Then when Donner replaced Guy Hamilton he got Mankiewicz to rewrite the Newmans script using some of puzos story and adding a more biblical tone.
The fact still remains that Puzo's script wasn't the final script used. What we see on screen isn't a result from Puzo or Newman's scripts. It's Mankiewicz all the way.

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #137
Dark Knight
Banned User

It would be so easy to have Lex end up creating Metallo....with technology found or given to him by an artificial intellgience (Braniac). However, Braniac would not be revealed until toward the end of the film....to set it up for the 3rd film. Then in the third film.....Braniac would then merge with Lex and they would end up creating Doomsday. Easy.....problems solved.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #138
explode7
Banned User

^Stop spamming dude.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #139
Retroman
Side-Kick

Smallville's Jimmy Olsen Aaron Ashmore, the twin brother of X-Men's Shawn Ashmore reveals a bit of info i never heard before.Its a small world after all.

From TeenTelevision.com:

Quote:

TeenTelevision: Hi Aaron. You have a roommate who wrote the Superman feature film? Weird coincidence?

Aaron: Yeah, my roommate Mike Dougherty, he and another friend of ours Dan Harris wrote Superman Returns so small world, yeah. They have a little part in the movie getting kicked out of a museum.

TeenTelevision: What's it like at home with the roommates? Chaos?

Aaron: It's actually pretty mellow. It's my brother and my buddy Mike and we've got two dogs at the house and a barbeque in the backyard. It's really laid back. Somebody's usually out of town doing something so it's pretty quiet.

TeenTelevision: Is there a lot of Superman memorabilia around your house then?

Aaron: Oh yeah. Comic books and posters.. all that stuff. I'm sittin' in the whole Superman world so it's kind of cool. Both my roommate and my brother were like 'welcome to the superhero world' when I got the Jimmy part.
Source:http://www.teentelevision.com/d.asp?r=128457&c=1030
http://www.teentelevision.com/d.asp?r=128457&c=1030&p=2

Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #140
SupermanCan

Kick them off the script and get in better writers.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 AM   #141
echostation
Banned User

the best way to appease everyone on this is to simply get Paul Dini/Bruce Tim or Stan Berkowitz to come up with say like a 20 page outline/treatment or just how a story should go... Hell even make it just 5-6 pages, at least let them COME UP with the story and general overall fitting of plot events

Dougherty and Harris can use that as a framework to detail it out and write a script... I think that would work much better than the script they came up with together

Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #142
Hugh'sMrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super78
Alright, come on.

Its pretty much common knowledge that Doherty and Harris with Singer are "one the same" -- if you catch my drift.

All three did vacation in Hawaii together and came up with the story to SR.

Vacation in Hawaii TOGETHER.

Anyway, D&H must also EXIT the Superman franchise along with Singer.

I mean, these are the guys who thought of the great plan of having Supes LEAVE earth for 5 years, while making him into a deadbeat dad!
They were attending a wedding in Hawaii.

Betty White, during her SNL opening monologue
Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #143
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman
Smallville's Jimmy Olsen Aaron Ashmore, the twin brother of X-Men's Shawn Ashmore reveals a bit of info i never heard before.Its a small world after all.

From TeenTelevision.com:

Source:http://www.teentelevision.com/d.asp?r=128457&c=1030
http://www.teentelevision.com/d.asp?r=128457&c=1030&p=2
a really small world.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #144
Hugh'sMrs
Side-Kick

I think it's cool that the Ashmores are friends with Mike and Dan. Now I'm wondering if they knew alot about what was happening during the filming of X3.

Betty White, during her SNL opening monologue
Old 11-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #145
Eros
Side-Kick

I think some pontential screenwriters/film students on this board, may simply be jealous of Dougherty and Harris. For one they both have made it big in screenwriting, and 2 they got to write a big time Superman stroy for the big screen.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #146
Eros
Side-Kick

on a another note, i can't wait for the sequel

Old 12-01-2006, 05:14 AM   #147
superdupersuper
Banned User

dont forget

douhgherty and harris have been writing a new "Urban legend" movie

i dont think thats good enough to qualify them to write a sequel

if they wont proper action, go get Nicholas Meyer the director of star trek 2 and 6, the best trek movies ever,

and allow him to pump some proper sci fi action in

no need for dilly dallying, just bring on the action

Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #148
SatEL
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotatromboner
How does anyone that calls themself a Superman fan, and by that I mean someone that reads the comics, accept Superman Returns? Routh pulled off Clark really well, but his Superman left something to be desired. Bosworth was just lazy casting for Lois. You'd think guys that were fans of Lois would know she knows how to fight. "Uh oh, a big scary henchman is coming to beat me up. Let me fall like a helpless victim and hopefully someone saves me." Yeah, that made sense to me too. The kid was something that nobody wanted, and very few people liked. Let's let Superman almost die because of a kryptonite shank in the guts, but later have him lift an entire continent made of kryptonite. Yeah, that made sense to me to. Ooh, we should have Lex Luthor wear wigs and have the lamest evil plan ever. Yeah, because I know I'd want to live on a big, dark, and ugly crystal continent too. Yah, the movie was beautifully written, too bad logic wasn't included.

Well writen buddy i agree completly Superman returns sucked Xmen1 and 2 did not entertain me and singer most go.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #149
SupermanCan

PLEASE, eliminate these writers, WB, out of respect for Superman.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #150
superdupersuper
Banned User

dougherty and harris are hack writers

and bring in Nicholas meyer for director,

he made star trek 2 and 6, the best trek movies ever and was going to do nemesis until morons at paramount decided otherwise

seems like WB are doing the same, sticking with singer and the end result will be the same

WB havent got any balls,

Closed Thread