The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Sequels

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #151
GreenKToo
In the fire
 
GreenKToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the fire.
Posts: 11,109
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

I really wish that the script would have to pass some C.B. writers approval first before being accepted.At the very least get some to consult on the sequel.

__________________
''Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.'' ~ John Wayne


GreenKToo is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #152
Paste Pot Pete
No, I build a rocket.
 
Paste Pot Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pettsburg
Posts: 4,066
Default Re: Dougherty and Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudette
!

Even though I have really enjoyed the X2 and SR, they just seem unwilling to just let the character's talk. And I can't stand that!
What are you basing this on? If there's ever been a complaint for Singer's movies, it's been too much dialogue and not enough action (I disagree with both, personally).

I can think of more "quiet moments" or conversations in Singer's movies than most "action movies".

X2 - Iceman & Logan in the kitchen, the scene at Bobby's house, the campfire discussion between Magneto & the X-Men, most of Nightcrawler's scenes, Striker & captive Xavier

SR - Just about every Lex scene, Lois & Richard at home, Lois & Superman, various Daily Planet discussions & meetings; just to name what I can remember.

What more do you want?

__________________
"His name's Baby Shoes. How bad can he be?"
-House
Paste Pot Pete is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #153
batman44
Go Speed GO
 
batman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: right here
Posts: 5,714
Default Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=39552


Next Superman Has More Baddies?

Michael Dougherty, co-writer of last year's Superman Returns, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming sequel will feature at least one villain drawn from the DC Comics franchise. Or more than one? "Maybe," Dougherty said coyly in an interview on the set of his upcoming supernatural horror film Trick 'r Treat in Vancouver, Canada, on Jan. 15. "It's [Mr.] Myxyzptlk," he added, with tongue in cheek.

Dougherty said that it's likely he and his Superman Returns writing partner Dan Harris will again work with Singer on the sequel. "We're talking," Dougherty said. "We're bouncing ideas around with Bryan. Big ideas. Action-packed ideas."

Singer has said the next installment will be along the lines of the second Star Trek film, and Dougherty said the comparison is apt. "I think it's going to be a more action-oriented film," he said. "Again, the easy comparison to make was [X-Men] to X2, or Star Trek [The Motion Picture] to Star Trek II. I mean, I know that Bryan has said he's going to Wrath of Khan it, and by that he means, 'Let's take what we've already established—we've gotten that out of the way—and let's just make it shorter, tighter and more action-packed." —Patrick Lee, News Editor


Sounds good to me besides mking it shorter.

__________________
<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #154
FanboyX_Returns
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 345
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

lol like ive said it's gonna have a bunch of explosions to make it seem like theirs more action, and the shorter running time is due to the cut budget, thats due to the tanking of the first movie.

This sequel is DOA!

FanboyX_Returns is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #155
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Ummm...the shorter running time would be due to narrative necessity. Not the budget.

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #156
blueboy
Side-Kick
 
blueboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

I'll go out on a limb and say i'm looking forward to this... I watched X1 and X2 the other day and I can definitely see Singer amping up the action, so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt....

as long as he doesn't use Zod...

blueboy is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #157
lexlives
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 765
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyX_Returns View Post
lol like ive said it's gonna have a bunch of explosions to make it seem like theirs more action, and the shorter running time is due to the cut budget, thats due to the tanking of the first movie.

This sequel is DOA!

Sadly I agree - any Singer sequle is DOA and that means the franchise is dead for our lifetimes.

There is no anticipation, expecation or desire out there for a sequel that I see.

Not like with Spiderman or Batman or X-Men or, heaven forbid, Pirates.

lexlives is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #158
blueboy
Side-Kick
 
blueboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
Not like with Spiderman or Batman or X-Men or, heaven forbid, Pirates.
Don't like Sparrow! Want some rum?

blueboy is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #159
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
Sadly I agree - any Singer sequle is DOA and that means the franchise is dead for our lifetimes.
Our lifetimes? Being only 22, I'd hope that with a good 50 or 60 years of life left that there'd be some sort of Superman franchise between now and then.

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #160
lexlives
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 765
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger View Post
Our lifetimes? Being only 22, I'd hope that with a good 50 or 60 years of life left that there'd be some sort of Superman franchise between now and then.
Given that is pretty much a given a Singer sequel will do about like SR then at a minimum it will likely be 3 decades - and yes you will be in your 50's and sort of old.

But the other likely outcome is that they will deep six the franchise for good.

You have a choice - a sucky Singer sequel in 3 years with maybe not another film ever or at best till you are 52, or a reboot in 10 years with a world of possibilites the Singer continuity has closed/shut off.

lexlives is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #161
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post

You have a choice - a sucky Singer sequel in 3 years

Ah, so you now know that the sequel will be horrible. May I look into your crystal ball?

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #162
lexlives
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 765
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger View Post
Ah, so you now know that the sequel will be horrible. May I look into your crystal ball?

No, look at Singer's track record with Superman. Really, it does not take a crystal ball.

lexlives is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #163
Freddy_Krueger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 646
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives View Post
No, look at Singer's track record with Superman. Really, it does not take a crystal ball.
You mean his one Superman movie that grossed $200,000,000? The one with strong DVD sales and almost $50 million in rentals? That one?

__________________
The term "Singerman" is neither funny nor clever. While we're at it, why don't we refer to Tim Burton's Batman as Burtonman?

If you can't attack SR without attacking Bryan Singer's sexuality, then just keep your thoughts to yourself.
Freddy_Krueger is offline  
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #164
TheBat812
Side-Kick
 
TheBat812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,024
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Krueger View Post
You mean his one Superman movie that grossed $200,000,000? The one with strong DVD sales and almost $50 million in rentals? That one?
Not to mention one of the more critically acclaimed superhero films...

__________________
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
TheBat812 is offline  
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #165
Cosmic
Theosophist
 
Cosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Tower of Fate
Posts: 3,337
Red face Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=39552


Next Superman Has More Baddies?

Michael Dougherty, co-writer of last year's Superman Returns, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming sequel will feature at least one villain drawn from the DC Comics franchise. Or more than one?
What? "At least one" already indicates the possibility of there being "more than one."

Quote:
"Maybe," Dougherty said coyly in an interview on the set of his upcoming supernatural horror film Trick 'r Treat in Vancouver, Canada, on Jan. 15. "It's [Mr.] Myxyzptlk," he added, with tongue in cheek.
Well, maybe it was necessary to note that he joking, here. Because after Superman Returns, who knows what they might do?

Quote:
Dougherty said that it's likely he and his Superman Returns writing partner Dan Harris will again work with Singer on the sequel. "We're talking," Dougherty said. "We're bouncing ideas around with Bryan. Big ideas. Action-packed ideas."
Yes, this time, Lex Luthor will expand his evil real-estate scheme to intergalactic proportions!

Quote:
Singer has said the next installment will be along the lines of the second Star Trek film, and Dougherty said the comparison is apt. "I think it's going to be a more action-oriented film," he said. "Again, the easy comparison to make was [X-Men] to X2, or Star Trek [The Motion Picture] to Star Trek II. I mean, I know that Bryan has said he's going to Wrath of Khan it, and by that he means, 'Let's take what we've already established—
Yes, I agree that he should "Wrath of Khan it." The first step, of course, would be to bring in a new creative team, just as they did with Star Trek II. The second step would be to begin the writing process from a perspective which ignores the events of the first movie.

Quote:
we've gotten that out of the way—
Yes, because it was so inconvenient...having to reintroduce the characters to the silver screen, and all.

Quote:
and let's just make it shorter, tighter and more action-packed."
So Jason Returns will be even MORE action-packed than SR? "More action-packed." I wonder how they'll pull that off while making it shorter and tighter as well? After all, SR was only about 2 1/2 hours long.

__________________
Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline  
Old 01-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #166
Catman
Banned User
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 29,050
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

He said nothing new.

Catman is offline  
Old 01-18-2007, 03:15 AM   #167
luis85_tex
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Finally they might have a real villian fro mthe comics besides luthor, real fight scene's i hope,lot more actino but lot's of good stuff will prob. be cut down and will prob. i got a feeling it will have as much cgi and eeft's as new spider-man movie

 
Old 01-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #168
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Who needs a crystal ball if you have lexlives?




well at least crystal balls are delightfully quiet.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 01-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #169
Timstuff
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,920
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

The big question here: if they knew that having actual supervillains was such a good idea, why the crap didn't they do that in the first movie?

I'm still pretty doubtful that SR2 is gonna get greenlight. Singer and co. just effed up too badly with the first one, and I kind of doubt Warner Bros. wants to get stung in the wallet twice. They already trusted Singer with 240 million dollars to deliver a box office smash hit, and he blew it with a 2.5 hour tribute to the Richard Donner movies.

The general public's opinion of Singer's "Superman is a deadbeat dad" storyarch is that it's probably only downhill from there. I'm afraid that Superman is going to have to hybernate in the FOS for another few years before he can make his grand re-entrance with a proper restart.

Timstuff is offline  
Old 01-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #170
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,382
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
The big question here: if they knew that having actual supervillains was such a good idea, why the crap didn't they do that in the first movie?

I'm still pretty doubtful that SR2 is gonna get greenlight. Singer and co. just effed up too badly with the first one, and I kind of doubt Warner Bros. wants to get stung in the wallet twice. They already trusted Singer with 240 million dollars to deliver a box office smash hit, and he blew it with a 2.5 hour tribute to the Richard Donner movies.

The general public's opinion of Singer's "Superman is a deadbeat dad" storyarch is that it's probably only downhill from there. I'm afraid that Superman is going to have to hybernate in the FOS for another few years before he can make his grand re-entrance with a proper restart.
WB signed off on that tribute, they accepted the pitch, accepted the script, they accepted the movie. Singer didn't get hired and make a movie behind WB's back and then sneak it by them. If you are saying Singer blew it, this means WB blew it. I don't think either is true.

The general public doesn't have this perception, some people on internet message boards do. That isn't the general public.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #171
bosef982
Side-Kick
 
bosef982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,212
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Who needs a crystal ball if you have lexlives?




well at least crystal balls are delightfully quiet.
And more accurate.

__________________
Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it?
-- Unknown

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline  
Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #172
Kal-El Reeve
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 99
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyX_Returns View Post
lol like ive said it's gonna have a bunch of explosions to make it seem like theirs more action, and the shorter running time is due to the cut budget, thats due to the tanking of the first movie.

This sequel is DOA!
400 million dollars worldwide does not mean the movie tanked. You're as bad as those anti Craig people who hated Casino Royale.



Quote:
WB signed off on that tribute, they accepted the pitch, accepted the script, they accepted the movie. Singer didn't get hired and make a movie behind WB's back and then sneak it by them. If you are saying Singer blew it, this means WB blew it. I don't think either is true.

The general public doesn't have this perception, some people on internet message boards do. That isn't the general public.
Agreed. WB approved the movie, so a few people hated the movie. So what. It still made moey. And the General Public doesn't care as much as fans of the comics or other forms of Superman in the media.

Quote:
Given that is pretty much a given a Singer sequel will do about like SR then at a minimum it will likely be 3 decades - and yes you will be in your 50's and sort of old.

But the other likely outcome is that they will deep six the franchise for good.

You have a choice - a sucky Singer sequel in 3 years with maybe not another film ever or at best till you are 52, or a reboot in 10 years with a world of possibilites the Singer continuity has closed/shut off.
You know what. I support Superman no matter what. I waited 20 years since the last franchise which I have seen all those movies in the theatres save the first. And I have sat through things both good and bad done to the character from a crappy electrical Super Being, Nicolas Cage, Smallville, Lois and Clark, Superboy, and Animated forms. The character is still going to endure no matter what happens. It survived an era that felt that he was outdated twice.

I would not mind for a Singer sequel because I am supporter of the character no matter what. And the fact I sat through four seasons of Lois and Clark shows that I don't care as long as it has the"S"

Kal-El Reeve is offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #173
Timstuff
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,920
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

WB put too much trust in Singer. He delivered two highly successful X-Men movies, so WB thought he knew what he was doing, so they put their stamp of approval on everything he did even though he was making some very dumb descisions.

WB had been accused of being too involved with their franchises in the past, so they thought they'd give a shot at just letting the director do things his way. Unfortunately that came back and bit them in the butt later.

Timstuff is offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #174
bosef982
Side-Kick
 
bosef982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,212
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
WB put too much trust in Singer. He delivered two highly successful X-Men movies, so WB thought he knew what he was doing, so they put their stamp of approval on everything he did even though he was making some very dumb descisions.

WB had been accused of being too involved with their franchises in the past, so they thought they'd give a shot at just letting the director do things his way. Unfortunately that came back and bit them in the butt later.
What zone of reality are you deriving from where this movie did poorly? WB had too high expectations for Superman -- they wanted it to be Spider-Man, which it wasn't. It pulled in more than the X-Men 1 and 2 and a bit more than Batman Begins -- all of those films are considered successes. WB having trust in Singer wasn't what bit them in the ass, WB dropping loads of money on the film (200 million is unreasonable for ANY FILM period!) while hoping that lightining would strike twice like Spider-Man is ridiculous. Even Spider-Man 2 did less than the original Spider-Man.

WB and some fans need to get their heads out of their butts and realize that Spider-Man 1 is not the standard by which success is weighed. The general public reacted well to this movie, it made more than batman begins yet, despite begins being called a success, many are hypcorites and say Superman Returns was a failure.

It's a double-standard not motivated by reality or good judgement (if a double-standard ever can) but by a baseless agenda to smear a movie because it didn't align to someone's narrow, preconcieved notions of what they believed Superman to be...apparently, they fail to notice that as many people as saw Batman Begins saw Returns, with both enjoying high critical praise.

Did it make its money back? Nope. But that's a bad decision on the part of WB, not on Singer.

You people need a reality check.

__________________
Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it?
-- Unknown

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline  
Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #175
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 43,925
Default Re: Michael Dougherty on SR sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El Reeve View Post
400 million dollars worldwide does not mean the movie tanked.
ok lets put it that way. the movie didnt tank. but the budget is smaller. please explain me why is the budget smaller?


Last edited by dark_b; 01-21-2007 at 10:04 AM.
dark_b is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.